Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yup I'd watch that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

food court bailiff posted:

The obvious answer is IASIP to get the low-class and high-class farces to intersect and explode in some catastrophic fiasco

Sherry ham

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

3rd Rock from the sun.

It's the other good show.

It seems like this show got completely forgotten, I always liked it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The writing could get kind of exaggerated and one-note sometimes but it has John Lithgow who make literally anything watchable.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's kind of similar to Frasier in that the main character is the villain. Dick and Frasier would also get along pretty well, I'm seeing a scene where they compliment each otherv and act very similarly but then privately rail about how pompous the other is, like when Niles meets his doppleganger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier's pretty much an ideal comedy protagonist because he's a pretty decent guy at his core but keeps getting in his own way because of his own arrogance and pretensions.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Professional voice actor: "I've done that accent on broadway and the London stage!"
Frasier: "They have different standards than I"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cosmik Slop posted:

Trailer Park Boys

Chaos reigns

I am the sherry, Niles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frasier and Niles might be characters a bit like Hank Hill and Johnny Bravo where you can drop them into pretty much any setting and be pretty sure of how they'll act and interact with the characters there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

datajugend posted:

Sherry ham

:golfclap:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Frasier flirts with Mary and fraternises with Dick in an attempt to gain academic credibility; Dick mistakes him for a fellow alien while Mary thinks he wants a threesome. Harry lands a late night radio gig after Daphne becomes convinced he's psychic, making Niles jealous. Sally is infatuated with Martin and wants to use alien tech to rejuvenate him.

Tommy, meanwhile, falls in love with Roz while hanging around the radio station and starts to impress her by getting the hang of radio production really quickly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The writing could get kind of exaggerated and one-note sometimes but it has John Lithgow who make literally anything watchable.

I bought the entire set on DVD a while back, and it's still absolutely hilarious. The only low points are when the show kind of forgets they're aliens, but other than that, it still works because that's just the set-up.

You're right about Lithgow. He's one of those actors that has such gravitas that anything absolutely ridiculous out of his mouth becomes insanely funny.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

You're right about Lithgow. He's one of those actors that has such gravitas that anything absolutely ridiculous out of his mouth becomes insanely funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJwfhuAoO-A

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Harry would be the one good at radio, Tommy would get along with Martin

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
3rd Rock is such a good show and definitely Frasier's kindred spirit since both are highly farcical and are structured like plays with extremely good use of economical sets

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Inspector Hound posted:

Harry would be the one good at radio, Tommy would get along with Martin

I actually just remembered that both the "Sally falls for an older man" and "Harry and Tommy go into radio" were both literal episodes. The former was with Albright's dad, because being an alien warrior, she was totally into his war stories.

Does anyone remember Martin's cop rank? If he made lieutenant, that'd be the bridge with Sally.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I tried watching an episode of Third Rock from the Sun and I feel it's like coming into Frasier without knowing anything. It just felt ridiculous and over the top but it's probably fine if you know the characters and take the time to ease into it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Incoming message from the Big Giant Head!"

Niles: I didn't know you had a direct line, Frasier.
Frasier: oh, HA HA. At least I never wrote to Stetson pretending my Cabbage Patch Kid wanted a scale Diamante.
Niles: It was a Sigmund Freud poseable figure, and I only wore the hat when it didn't fit him.
Frasier: Too small?
Niles: I plead the fifth... you human Chupa-Chup.
Frasier: *huffs*

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just another reminder of the best line in the whole show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gd2XLTH9qI

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

Just another reminder of the best line in the whole show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gd2XLTH9qI

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier and Niles might be characters a bit like Hank Hill and Johnny Bravo where you can drop them into pretty much any setting and be pretty sure of how they'll act and interact with the characters there.

Martin and Hank talking beer while Peggy pretends to know anything about sherry or the UK sounds fun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Koalas March posted:

Martin and Hank talking beer while Peggy pretends to know anything about sherry or the UK sounds fun

Bobby and Frederick become instant BFFs.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

luanne is a bit psychic

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The last couple of pages have finally made me understand why people write (non-erotic) fan fiction. I want to see all these shows now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh let me fix that then

Frais In The House
FRAISER CRANE moves to Los Angeles to host Helpline, a prime-time commute call in show about relationships. Aided by his hip, streetwise co-host, D-Box, and their sassy, urban call screener, Montana, Fraiser rockets to the top of the charts. Can he stay on top of the fast-moving L.A. market, while helping his son, Freddie, navigate the posh Beverly Hills private school he now attends, all while fending off attacks from rival host TOM LEYKIS?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345uegSj-zQ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Agent Freddy Crane is a successful criminal profiler with the FBI who gets assistance from his father and his uncle, whether he wants it or not.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hahahahaha holy poo poo Psych: next caller

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

I bet Niles and Gus would be frienemies

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Niles is due to give the biggest lecture of his career at the Pacific Rim Psychiatry Conference in Santa Barbara with Frasier, Martin, and Daphne along for moral support and a free hotel room when he suffers an attempt on his life right in the middle of his speech. Carlton Lassiter, Juliet O'Hara and psychic detective Shawn Spencer and his sidekick Gus are called in to investigate. Gus and Shawn are already attending because Gus is trying to figure out what the hot new psychiatric drugs will be next year and to schmooze up some doctors for his route.

Niles is more upset about being interrupted than almost being murdered, he's skeptical of Shawn's psychic abilities but after a demonstration of his abilities he begins feeling conflict, doubt, and guilt over the idea that Psychics might be real but Daphne probably isnt one of them. Daphne feels insecure over Shawn's psychic abilities and repeatedly interrupts his readings with readings of her own to prove her own Psychic worth. Frasier is convinced Shawn's a fraud but cant figure out how he knows the things he does and sets out to trap him even in the middle of his brother's attempted murder investigation, possibly letting the killer get away just to prove hes right.

Martin figures out that Shawn's fake and how he knows the things he does almost immediately but never tells Frasier because he meets Henry in a bait shop and goes fishing with him for the rest of the episode bonding over fish, sports, and being an ex-cop. He tries teaching Henry about accepting his son as he is instead of who he wishes he was and ends up promising to keep Shawn's secret.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 22, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's pretty much the perfect cross-over.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
last season of 3rd rock is insanely bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frasier is being taken off Netflix on December 31 :(

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey, baby, I hear those blues a-callin'.

Bea Nanner posted:

last season of 3rd rock is insanely bad

I wouldn't say insanely bad, but yeah, they were obviously running out of steam. I'm trying to remember that season, and off of the top of my head I can only really come up withTommy going to college and the parallel universe two-parter which had a few decent jokes but fell kind of flat.

The one episode that's still great is the episode where they read the Declaration of Independence, and end up being inspired by "all men are created equal" by ultimately creating their own internal Communist regime.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

It'll still be on Hulu and Prime. Hulu is the new go to for old sitcoms.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Laterite posted:

It'll still be on Hulu and Prime. Hulu is the new go to for old sitcoms.

Haha awesome I love this future of paying subscription fees to dueling entertainment services for content I can't own rather than having a physical copy that uh, you know, cannot be taken away

I know this isn't the thread but what a loving grift the "DVDs are obsolete" thing was to get every physical disc thrown out to usher in this hellworld of paying for the same thing over and over but never being able to actually buy or own it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

None of these services offer it in HD do they? Until then I'm perfectly fine watching my 100% legitimately sourced copies on Plex

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Haha awesome I love this future of paying subscription fees to dueling entertainment services for content I can't own rather than having a physical copy that uh, you know, cannot be taken away

I know this isn't the thread but what a loving grift the "DVDs are obsolete" thing was to get every physical disc thrown out to usher in this hellworld of paying for the same thing over and over but never being able to actually buy or own it

DVDs were obsolete the services were consolidated enough that two hours of a working man's pay was enough to fulfill your entertainment needs for an entire month. That made the one service too rich and powerful though so all the other companies are making their own to get a piece of the pie without realizing that getting all of your shows in one place for a convenient fee was the entire point of Netflix and that if they're going to go to a balkanized model it should be free and ad-supported like Crackle because no-one's going to loving pay 12 a month for your specialty streaming service that only stocks English- dubbed Scandinavian Sitcoms. And then they wonder why piracy is coming back and start getting their lawyers to C&d the problem away again like the early 00s. Anyway nationalize Netflix, Google and Amazon or at least recognize that they're public utilities and natural monopolies and regulate them as such.

lol we can't even make the internet a public utility when kids loving need it to complete public school assignments

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
watched the cheers ep where they introduce lillith (I think?? haven't watched all of cheers). she's in it for like two minutes, has an exchange with frasier that's as cold and calculating as ever, then she gets a call and leaves while he's in the bathroom. he comes out and just goes "ah I wasn't into her anyway" lol. Thinking ahead to the last frasier ep with her, it's pretty great. Also, her sendoff is really good.

bonus: then sam hooks him up with a 'fun' girl (who he immediately tries to marry). the girl is the same actress who frasier attempts to have the same kind of fling with from the singles club in a much later frasier ep :whoa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Me: oh this is the episode where they buy Agides
Ms Jones: Who?
Me: Martin's horse!
Ms Jones: I don't remember horse names

I find her lack of commitment to the Crane family worrisome