Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I was amused when the panda guy tried to convince Red Scare that Hooded Justice was actually Dr. Manhattan. It almost feels like a tongue-in-cheek reference to the people ITT and presumably elsewhere that claimed Jeremy Irons Veidt was actually Dr. Manhattan. Especially given that the scene was right after we found out where Veidt is.

okay but who in the show so far has claimed to be Dr. Manhattan? hmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Maybe he's not good at detecting lies at all, and his whole lie detector machine is bullshit just like his former belief in the squids?
After all, this episode shows him getting duped repeatedly. I guess he was right that she's a radiologist...

I guess.

I wasn't sure if the survivors of the psychic blast were themselves psychics or just happened to be inside a building when it went off.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Next week looks like the kind of time/memory fuckery and character/worldbuilding drip that I am extremely into, goddamn. Even if it's a plot device to make someone into a Doc Manhattan, it's a crazy good one.

Also, like I think some spoilers have suggested, it looks like it confirms that this is part of the show's exploring Hooded Justice's history, American race relations, and their part in the show universe's reflections on masked vigilantism in the US.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I wasn't sure if the survivors of the psychic blast were themselves psychics or just happened to be inside a building when it went off.
I think that's still an open question. The question of whether psychics exist has basically been left unresolved and it's kind of a plot hole in the original comics. We'll see.

On another note, I guess Lady Trieu must be giving her daughter Nostalgia to make her daughter re-live her life experiences.

Funny thing, there was a historical Lady Trieu who's been called the "Vietnamese Joan of Arc". Vietnam has a unique cool history of women rebelling against the Chinese.

To get back to the story, given her name, and the fact that she was getting her daughter to remember a death march, presumably done by the US, I wonder if Lady Trieu has a grudge against the US takeover of Vietnam. Or maybe not, I guess it wouldn't make sense for a trillionaire to be angry that capitalists defeated communists in her native land.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
The flashback cuts were wack, and I think the fact that we're even talking about them proves as much. I get the "they weren't for us" point, but y'know, this ultimately is for us and we as viewers certainly didn't need any extra hand-holding to see that this poo poo is constantly in Looking Glass's head. I just hate that technique anyway though, so I get salty whenever I see it.
Otherwise, holy poo poo that was a good episode of teevee. I was 15 minutes in and thinking, y'know, if this whole ep is just Tim Blake Nelson and Jean Smart bouncing off each other, I'm totally cool with it.

Also, the 'D' is for Dr Manhattan, or just Dr.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 18, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I could imagine Adrian getting bored after a few years and deciding to tell powerful people the truth so he could gloat about his victory, but it just seems ridiculous to me that he would record the video right as he was executing the plan. He's so full of himself and in that time in the comic seems so consumed by demonstrating how he's pulling off this impossible, tragic task... it seems very doubtful to me that he'd immediately be ready to turn around and risk it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fake video that happened to capture the truth. Like, how does him making the video even help achieve the goal? Unless maybe the show is going for an idea that the secret, unstated next phase of Ozymandias's plan is actually about forcing people to accept a big lie for... reasons. I dunno.

EDIT: Okay, here's my own dumb take. The entire show takes place in whatever galaxy Dr. Manhattan ran off to to try creating life himself, and will ultimately be entirely about about the good Dr. reflecting on the events of the comic and the ethics involved. In a loving nod to Alan Moore, this will all be revealed in a way that heavily references the Swamp Thing Issue "My Blue Heaven," where Swamp Thing has populated an entire planet for himself but ultimately finds it to be a lonely and disturbing projection of his own mind.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 18, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Skitz posted:

Nah it's going to be 'Damon', he's taking the meta route.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
michael imperioli outta nowhere

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Martman posted:

I could imagine Adrian getting bored after a few years and deciding to tell powerful people the truth so he could gloat about his victory, but it just seems ridiculous to me that he would record the video right as he was executing the plan. He's so full of himself and in that time in the comic seems so consumed by demonstrating how he's pulling off this impossible, tragic task... it seems very doubtful to me that he'd immediately be ready to turn around and risk it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fake video that happened to capture the truth. Like, how does him making the video even help achieve the goal? Unless maybe the show is going for an idea that the secret, unstated next phase of Ozymandias's plan is actually about forcing people to accept a big lie for... reasons. I dunno.

or maybe his plan to create world peace would eventually need the cooperation of the president of the most powerful country in the world

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ElNarez posted:

or maybe his plan to create world peace would eventually need the cooperation of the president of the most powerful country in the world
Hmm I'm kind of waffling on my stance on this I guess.

I was initially thinking that Ozy would feel confident the President would go along with the plan simply because he felt he had pulled off the Big Lie so well that there would be no need to tell anyone how it works. It should just... work.

But also his arrogance allowed him to let Laurie and Dan live because he's not only confident that the plan will work but also that any wise person (in his eyes) will ultimately agree with the plan.

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 18, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just finished the episode. I was almost about to cry as the credits hit. What a good loving episode. The only thing that would've made it better was if it didn't have any of Wade's mid-episode flashbacks for the stupid viewers in the audience but otherwise, perfection. God loving drat.

Edit: Haha I started reading the thread after posting this and I see other folks complaining about the flashbacks. Feels comfy to see everyone understanding what poor editing looks like.

Skitz posted:

Nope. Veidt always called him Jon.

Edit 2: So I guess there's a bit of a wrinkle in the "Doc imprisoned Veidt and is watching him suffer and will break down his poo poo in year 7" considering we now know they're not on Mars. Wonder what the truth ends up being.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 18, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Martman posted:

Hmm I'm kind of waffling on my stance on this I guess.

I was initially thinking that Ozy would feel confident the President would go along with the plan simply because he felt he had pulled off the Big Lie so well that there would be no need to tell anyone how it works. It should just... work.

But also his arrogance allowed him to let Laurie and Dan live because he's not only confident that the plan will work but also that any wise person (in his eyes) will ultimately agree with the plan.

Yeah I think its important to note it was only supposed to be Redford he revealed this to and thats why he specifically engineered his election, sort of blackmailing him into keeping the secret almost a decade after the event. Redfords Preisdency is part of his overall scheme and he would need him to cooperate willingly.

I mean Veidt personally murdered The Comedian, which is pretty bold and "risky" all things considered.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

AccountSupervisor posted:

All of the background on HJ being gay is 2nd hand from "Under the Hood" and Before Watchmen. IIRC its never really said where that came from other than Sally Jupiters manager saying he set them up to cover it up. Someone correct me if Im wrong though.

IIRC the comic also shows Captain Metropolis (the guy HJs banging) to be quite homophobic.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A relationship between Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis is all but confirmed by Sally Jupiter in an interview she gives in the ancillary material from Chapter Nine, and their fate is the subject of one of the more interesting Watchmen fan theories.

Ah ok, yeah I figured it was more explicitly mentioned in Under The Hood but couldnt remember or find where it was said and by who.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Well I guess we know what use veidt had for his roasted stage actor's corpse now.

I'm not in love with the idea of pills that give you memories. And if the pills are a known thing in this universe, seems sister night should've figured out what they were based on Will's description. Oh well.

Presumably Looking Glass' ex would've needed to destroy one of the pills to analyze it, so I wonder if that'll be a plot point. Theres one memory missing!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm not in love with the idea of pills that give you memories. And if the pills are a known thing in this universe, seems sister night should've figured out what they were based on Will's description. Oh well.

From the sound of it, they're intended not as a way to give you memories but to allow you to relive your own memories. But yeah, you can also clearly experience the memories of others if you take their pills. I'm into it, even if it isn't something that necessarily feels organic from the comic—at least it feels organic in terms of the themes of the show. Like, I can for sure buy that in a world where there was a mass traumatic event scientists would work on an escapism drug.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I wish message boards like this existed in the 80s so I could go back and read theories and complaints and whatever from readers of the comic as they were getting it on a monthly basis.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Am I missing something about Veidt being on Jupiter? Given he was yanked back through a portal I assumed he did the same going out, so couldn’t the manor still be on Earth?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

tadashi posted:

I'd guess the Senator is smart enough to realize they should not stir the nest by killing another police officer.

That's how I see it. There was no point roping in mirror guy, and risking him revealing their entire plot, just for him to get Angela locked up for a few days, and then killing him. The Senator knows both of their identities and he could have easily just killed Angela and moved on, but they clearly don't want anymore attention while they carry out the next phase of their plan. I'm guessing the 7K guys who showed up were there to check in and make sure he is staying in line, or he has been summoned by the Senator and they are there to retrieve him. The senator probably also hopes to recruit him as a replacement for Judd.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I guess.

I think it was mostly just luck of the draw, though Veidt did say in the comics that “sensitives would have nightmares for years”. Could be LG’s lie detection ability is partly some kind of low-level psychic stuff.

I think that's still an open question. The question of whether psychics exist has basically been left unresolved and it's kind of a plot hole in the original comics. We'll see.

How is it unresolved? The squid-things brain was made from the brain of a psychic that Veidt stole from a graveyard and used as cloning material to engineer a big ol’ mental brainfuck. Psychics absolutely exist to some extent in Watchmen.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Getting a real Dread Pirate Roberts vibe from the Game Warden.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if Wade's alarm system trigger on "mundane" threats, or if it's just extradimensional stuff.

Also the Will/Trieu agenda is pretty unclear. Seems that their "faction" killed the Chief, but why?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I assume the alarm system is for any interdimensional attack, since it's been 30+ years since the last big one. But I wonder if the smaller attacks also contain psychic information or if the tinfol is just a precaution for the next big attack. Either way, I love the idea of doomsday prepping in a post-squid world.

Pirate Jet posted:

Am I missing something about Veidt being on Jupiter? Given he was yanked back through a portal I assumed he did the same going out, so couldn’t the manor still be on Earth?

I think it's a pocket dimension that Manhattan created. He went to Europa to create his own life and made a little bubble where human beings could survive (to not make the same mistake he made when he took Laurie to Mars!). Veidt knew that Manhattan went to Europa (hence the satellite) and followed him there using the teleporation and interdimensional tech that had already been in the works in '85. So now he's stuck in a little pocket dimension with a bunch of half-formed quasi-humans that Manhattan created and got bored with until he hosed off somewhere else. The warden is only imprisoning Veidt because they're a bunch of backwards yokels with brainworms. They put Veidt up in a mansion because he's clearly the smartest man on Europa.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I was thinking more about whether the alarm system will detect the Kavalry assault at all.

I'm not sure where IMDB gets its info from, but at least Wade is credited with being in all 9 episodes this season

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

So not knowing much about the comics, is it conclusive that there is no such thing as any weird psychic energy that happens during the squid rains?

The squid in the comic was a genetically engineered psychic bomb intended to traumatise anyone it didnt kill. Psychic energy is absolutely a thing because thats what caused half Manhattan to drop dead.

As to whether the squid rain in the show has similar effects its not mentioned.

I doubt looking glass has any pxsychic abilities as a lie detector beyond intuition, rather its part of his psychology. Real schizophrenics have obsessions with the idea that the barrier between their heads and others is thin, they feel like others can look into their head, or that people can plant things in there. Hence the tinfoil stereotype as a means to reinforce the barrier. In my experience the persons with schizophrena I've known tend to be in the habit of scrutinising others extremely carefully for loyalty.

Looking Glass has had a traumatic invasion of his psyche and so he's operating somewhat similar to a schizophrenic, albeit one where the threat is actually somewhat plausible.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 18, 2019

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I'm gonna assume the next Looking Glass scene mirrors Rorschach and the SWAT team with how the show is presented as a "remix".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

I doubt looking glass has any pxsychic abilities as a lie detector beyond intuition, rather its part of his psychology.

I forget, was it implied in the comic that the survivors of the blast were sensitives? It would make sense to leave as many psychic folks alive to pass on the story as possible. So I feel like there's a good chance he is a human lie detector of a sort, hence the weird torture chamber pod. If he can read people's emotions then it'd make sense why he was the one in there.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 18, 2019

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I'm gonna assume the next Looking Glass scene mirrors Rorschach and the SWAT team with how the show is presented as a "remix".

Either it's that, or it's the always heartbreaking scene when Nite Owl gets beaten to death by Top knots :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I forget, was it implied in the comic that the survivors of the blast were sensitives? It would make sense to leave as many psychic folks alive to pass on the story as possible. So I feel like there's a good chance he is a human lie detector of a sort, hence the weird torture chamber pod. If can read people's emotions then it'd make sense why he was the one in there.

Veidt says the event will give sensitives worldwide nightmares for years but says nothing about their ability to survive.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Harlock posted:

Veidt: Rorsach the only way for this to work is you cant tell anyone

Also Veidt: *on video* Anyways Mr. President I made a giant fake squid

RORSCHACH: I spent months investigating this and HE JUST TWEETED IT OUT.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
SAVE ME DAMNIT

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

massive spider posted:

Veidt says the event will give sensitives worldwide nightmares for years but says nothing about their ability to survive.

Yeah, this leads me to believe Wade is sensitive and not just using intuition as a lie detector. I also really like how his interrogation pod is basically the funhouse mirror room he was in during the 11/2 incident.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

This is speculation based on the season trailer so putting this in spoilers but:

There was a shot of Lorie tied to a chair in the 7Ks headquarters and it appears Looking Glass or possibly a 7K memeber is behind her building some kind of cage?

I imagine the 7K/LG find out or must know of her role in covering up the squid and kidnap her as a result to "answer" for the crime

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
According to Peteypedia an overdose of Nostalgia can trigger, among many other possible side effects, "explosive flatulence"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

an expert posted:

The flash backs aren't bad editing, they're because the episode is focused on a character with PTSD who is experiencing flashbacks.

I agree

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Is everyone in the show driving electric cars? Am I only just now noticing this?

I think they had electric cars in the 80s

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

KoRMaK posted:

Manhattan synthesized enough lithium so that basically all cars were electric by the time of Kennedy’s assassination. (An electric limousine pulled onto Dealey Plaza etc...)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

KoRMaK posted:

Earlier. They start appearing around the same time Hollis Mason retires; by 1985 his shop's sign is "obsolete models a specialty" (serious Alan Moore levels of unsubtle irony there...)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Right so the electric cars aren't new, they were in the original, to answer that other posters question.

Just had a thought - Keene was supposed to get kidnapped, he was in on it. It was probably a way for him to get taken to 7k HQ without blowing his cover.

Til Laurie shot him lol. Why did he have an actual dead man switch then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Right so the electric cars aren't new, they were in the original, to answer that other posters question.

Just had a thought - Keene was supposed to get kidnapped, he was in on it. It was probably a way for him to get taken to 7k HQ without blowing his cover.

Til Laurie shot him lol. Why did he have an actual dead man switch then?

Because the 7K don't know that Keene is running them, that's why he was wearing the mask in the headquarters. They probably went with whatever plan they would usually have, and he couldn't tell them "hey, maybe don't do the bomb thing" without blowing his cover. Considering they were taking the guns off of everyone going into the funeral he probably figured it wouldn't be an issue.