Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Plasbad posted:

Between the nature mints, XP candies, bottle caps, vitamins no longer having a cap, and passing egg moves between Pokemon of the same species, it's actually pretty reasonable to just catch any wild Pokemon and max it out for PVP. I honestly dig it, because it means I can actually chain hunt shinies instead of hatching a million eggs.

I have found no mints or bottle caps guy, are they somewhere postgame? I beat it yesterday but my gf wanted to play so haven't been able to explore around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Riatsala posted:

Oh.

So does the pve ever get more challenging or do I need to brain myself with a claw hammer until I forget about type advantages?

What's everyone's favorite self-imposed challenge mode?

Nuzlocke seems to be the go-to for self imposed challenges, but you're kind of barking up the wrong tree expecting a Pokemon game to be challenging. Aside from some of the battle frontier (and battle frontier-likes in later gens), they aren't and never really have been.

I suppose you can intentionally send out Pokemon with type disadvantages too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Riatsala posted:

thank god they finally added a sentient blob of cum as a pokemon

This has been around since gen 1, actually. I don't think it made the cut, though, which would explain why they needed to add a new one.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
How do I make my Pokemon slap each other at Camp

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Framboise posted:

Nuzlocke seems to be the go-to for self imposed challenges, but you're kind of barking up the wrong tree expecting a Pokemon game to be challenging. Aside from some of the battle frontier (and battle frontier-likes in later gens), they aren't and never really have been.

I suppose you can intentionally send out Pokemon with type disadvantages too.

Fair enough; edibles until the inevitable rom hack it is, then.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
My team which was pretty much perfectly levelled for the battle at the ruins is now 4+ levels behind the things in the sparkle forest. Was I supposed to go somewhere else first, or am I just going to have to go back and grind somewhere. Since it's almost impossible to catch things that are higher level I can't just keep going.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Riatsala posted:

Oh.

So does the pve ever get more challenging or do I need to brain myself with a claw hammer until I forget about type advantages?

I beat the game using only bug pokemon on my team. Made for some interesting battles and CHARIZARD sure was fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's super lame how you can't change the outfit worn during gym challenges.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Applin knows heavy slam because it's a gravity joke you dinguses.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's almost embarrassing how much better gyms are in this game than literally every other Pokemon game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Riatsala posted:

mine is only use pokemon that look neat and don't pay attention at all when making teams. i use type advantages and will switch to useful pokemon in my team when they come up but i don't build my team with it in mind

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What city sells dresses like the default only in different colors/patterns?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

It's almost embarrassing how much better gyms are in this game than literally every other Pokemon game.

They are so god drat good. I've played about ~8 hours and my only complaint is the lovely stuttering of FPS in the wild area, but I think that's because I had my internet connection up and there were a bunch of random rear end people everywhere?

Game is great. Can't wait to catch 'em all (that are available in this game).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

a7m2 posted:

mine is only use pokemon that look neat and don't pay attention at all when making teams. i use type advantages and will switch to useful pokemon in my team when they come up but i don't build my team with it in mind

Same. Honestly it's great that they introduced Fairy to the game, because Ice and Dragon don't really do all that much for me, but I love Fairy types. So I can deal with dragon types while also being able to have a cute pink Pokemon

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Psychic will always be my favorite type, but Fairy is an easy second.

I love all these pink, cute Dragon killers.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fairies are great. this game has a lot of really good ghost and dark pokemon also

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

So is there an easy way to trade with someone on your friends list or nah? Me and a friend just tried for half an hour to get matched up and I kept getting put into trades with randos rather than him despite me and him putting the same code in (I guess enough people are playing that a 4 digit code isn't the best way) and if we tried to search for "only friends" in the stamp list it said there were no stamps found. Seems pretty loving shonky even by Nintendo's usual standards for online functionality.

Well it's not just me then - I tried the same thing with a friend for like an hour thinking surely we must be doing something wrong, but no the system legit seems to be "input a 4-digit code and hope you and your friend are the only ones using it". Trading locally is the only reliable way I've found to trade with a friend. I don't know what possessed them to make it this way.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Is there a small set of pokemon that can appear in raid battles or is it anything? Is there a list somewhere?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Somehow my team became full of fairies and nothing else outside Cinderace, I had to force myself to change that lol

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1196341454437634050

At the very least the Let's Go Pokemon (original 151+Meltan and Melmetal) should be an easy import.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dehry posted:

At the very least the Let's Go Pokemon (original 151+Meltan and Melmetal) should be an easy import.

A modded full Dex Sw/Sh is going to be real good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

a7m2 posted:

fairies are great. this game has a lot of really good ghost and dark pokemon also

This is somewhat of a problem for me, since my team is made almost entirely of them. I have so little attack variety because all the new ones I really like are Dark, Fairy, and Psychic. Of course, whether or not that's necessarily a problem depends on personal views regarding challenge.

I've found myself avoiding fights and grass in order to maintain some degree of challenge. That's my main complaint with always on EXP share. I've probably missed a few new Pokemon because I don't get into wild battles, and doing that is only keeping me just barely within Gym leader/Trainer battle range.

Overall I like this game so far, but it's mostly just been comfortable and safe. I'm only on the way to Gym 4 right now, but I'm fairly certain that Sword and Shield will not be Pokemon games that I remember much after finishing. So far it's been a good 3DS game, but it hasn't given me a feeling of "Pokemon on a console/Switch". The Wild Area comes close, but it's a bit too empty.

The Gym battle theme is amazing though. The stadium feeling with the crowds and chanting and all that stuff is what I've always wanted from a Pokemon game. It makes it feel grand and exciting. Not sure where all the people come from to fill a stadium in the smaller towns though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The dragon gym leader fight is obnoxious

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

The dragon gym leader fight is obnoxious

I just got there myself and I'm kinda worried because my current roster has like... zero anti-dragon tech. Might have to retool. :ohdear:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dehry posted:

And then the rest. Fingers crossed for how modding Sw/Sh turns out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I just got there myself and I'm kinda worried because my current roster has like... zero anti-dragon tech. Might have to retool. :ohdear:

The dragon stuff is the least of the issue. He throws out status effects and sandstorms and every turn ends up taking forever

I beat him, but it's still like... STOP. Turn off attack animations for that fight IMO

Fairies actually weren't a great choice for him though I'll say. One of his Pokemon does a steel Dynamax move that will one shot fairies straight up. As usual Sirfetch'D ends up being GOAT

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Why don't they make the gyms themed around fighting styles or something more engaging than "every Pokémon is one type so you just bring their weakness and win". Like one gym is about a tanky team and another overdoses you in status effects or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aiGUvsPjs&t=55s

Focus on Rilaboom's back around 58-59s (I timestamped)

And this is not just this video. It's on anyone's video of the credits. Also here's a pro tip for you Sword havers:

I would highly recommend checking out the move tutor at the Pokemon center as in this game you can have Pokemon “remember” some moves they haven’t previously learned before (like getting Fire Blast early as mentioned above).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

As usual Sirfetch'D ends up being GOAT

Dame Judi flies again, I guess! :toot:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Riatsala posted:

thank god they finally added a sentient blob of cum as a pokemon

Pretty sure every single generation of pokemon game has had at least one cum blob

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Why don't they make the gyms themed around fighting styles or something more engaging than "every Pokémon is one type so you just bring their weakness and win". Like one gym is about a tanky team and another overdoses you in status effects or something.

I mean the dragon gym is that. You're forced into doing double battles, and also the throws out status effects. The dragon aspect is pretty downplayed

edit: Hey dragon man, what is this weakass handshake. This is why I beat you.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 18, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what’s the earliest point in the game where I can get my hands on a Thunder Stone?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Tender Bender posted:

Hell, even just themed gyms would be a fun change of pace. Welcome to the Big Catz Gym say hello to Liepard, Purrugly, Incineroar and all three Persians

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Larryb posted:

So what’s the earliest point in the game where I can get my hands on a Thunder Stone?

Pretty much when you get to the wild area so right away

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh my god, using Guard Swap to give Sirfetch'd my Dubwool's sky-high defenses. :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pretty much when you get to the wild area so right away

Do you happen to remember where one is in the first wild area?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Larryb posted:

Do you happen to remember where one is in the first wild area?

Uhhhhhhhhhh not really. I did a bunch of dynamax raids and had enough points to spam at the digger brothers (by the daycare under the bridge) which is also how I got a shiny stone asap to get a roserade. I think you can save scum them but I was lazy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

farming me some G-Ponytas to trade tonight once I figure out trading, apparently this zone has lots of exclusives so I may be spending some time here lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Those digger brothers are nuts, I paid one and got some bones, I paid the other and he dug up 19 items including one of every stone :aaa: