Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't understand using this as an example of your work unless you just assume no one in the world knows about Gundam 00? I know very little about Gundam but I sure as hell recognize that style of robot face. Did Mikey Zee work on the Bluray cover art and also get permission to use that art for other projects? It just seems so blatant.

Haha I didn't even think to check if the credited artist on the book was the one that did the cover. That's a good catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanlis posted:

Yes, you can tell how obvious it is because the game won an Ennie and *nobody noticed this*.

It's obvious to anyone who knows jack poo poo about what the game is about (mecha anime), and :laffo: if you think the Ennies are in any way the kind of thing that would give a poo poo about art theft.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 17, 2019

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Holy drat. They had to know right? Like they could hypothetically be incredibly dense, but... no this is like having a green sketch of pikachu on your mon rpg.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
wrong thread!

Farg fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 18, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe ask in one of the design threads?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerik posted:

Thanlis made a good point, actually, that that might not even have been the author's fault; the credited cover artist might have passed it off as their own work without the author knowing it wasn't. (I know I certainly wouldn't have recognized the cover to an anime Blu-ray.) But I wasn't trying to address that specific case at all; I and I think most of the other posters in the last page or so were just talking about art theft in general, and in particular Meinberg's bizarre posts about how we should all have more sympathy for the poor, misunderstood art thieves.

Yeah, that's my point. It's horribly obvious once you see the original cover. I can imagine Mikey Zee thinking it's within the bounds of fair use, insofar as the game is a commentary on the genre. I can imagine DC thinking the same thing. I can imagine DC not realizing, although it's a pretty distinctive mecha look.

Personally I think it's a bit close to the edge for fair use (see also this), plus the original should have been credited. But gently caress, that's a more interesting discussion than "HA HA WE CAUGHT YOU."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thanlis posted:

Personally I think it's a bit close to the edge for fair use (see also this), plus the original should have been credited. But gently caress, that's a more interesting discussion than "HA HA WE CAUGHT YOU."

That's a terrible example. I have absolutely no idea why they would think that cover they made would fall under fair use. The standard is "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching ... , scholarship, or research," and a tribute album cover (where the actual music was licensed!) is none of that.

I mean, this could literally be a textbook example of a derivative work:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
There’s more to the standard than just the purpose and nature of the new work, but it’s a hard case when you consider the rest of the factors, too. It uses the original work in almost its entirety, it may impact the original author’s ability to profit from their work because it skirts licensing while providing a similar image, and the original work was a piece of commercial art rather than, say, something depicting facts or news.

None of this is legal advice, not and can’t be your lawyer, etc etc

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The X-ceptional logo there is a copy of the X-men comic title designs from a few years ago.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Finster Dexter posted:

The X-ceptional logo there is a copy of the X-men comic title designs from a few years ago.

That one's intentional, it's an X-Men cooking zine, based on quick googling.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Joe Slowboat posted:

That one's intentional, it's an X-Men cooking zine, based on quick googling.

Ah, ok. That's slightly less heinous, I guess.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
a queer PoC gets a high profile job in the industry and immediately everyone turns into the internet detective copyright police grasping at straws to ruin them, extremely woke poo poo

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

a queer PoC gets a high profile job in the industry and immediately everyone turns into the internet detective copyright police grasping at straws to ruin them, extremely woke poo poo

I don't think anyone's contacting Gundam to ruin DC? Especially since it looks like this is the artist, not DC, who has a tendency to do this kind of thing.

I admit, I only know DC as an extremely unforgiving and blunt twitter poster with really specific, intense positions on TTRPGs, so I was kinda taken aback that they would sign up with WotC given Mearls and everything else. But the art thing isn't exactly an inquisition, unless someone here has any influence whatsoever at either DC or Gundam?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can do better than this if you want to actually participate in the conversation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a queer PoC gets a high profile job working in the industry for a corporation that has proven multiple times it gives no fucks about queer people and instead actively courts fans of people who want them dead and immediately everyone takes one thirty second look at their body of work and finds flagrant art theft, which everyone agrees is sort of a dumb look

Fixed your post for you.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 18, 2019

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can do better than this if you want to actually participate in the conversation.

Are you accusing me of bad faith because I had the audacity to ask you all to think about what you're doing? I shouldn't have to put in an effort here. Consider the context and potential consequences of this poo poo. If this exact conversation was happening on 4chan right now some of you would be in the "fascists in TG" thread condemning it, and you'd be right to. loving shameful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are you accusing me of bad faith because I had the audacity to ask you all to think about what you're doing? I shouldn't have to put in an effort here. Consider the context and potential consequences of this poo poo. If this exact conversation was happening on 4chan right now some of you would be in the "fascists in TG" thread condemning it, and you'd be right to. loving shameful.

Nothing you said in your original post actually happened, you just barged in with a hot take and now you're telling everyone else it's their job to not do the thing you've made up.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hire more women prison guards, am i rite folx

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Apparently the Japanese artist they stole from doesn't count in terms of pretending to care about non white people.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

hire more women prison guards, am i rite folx

working for a big company that does lovely things (welcome to capitalism) isn't the same as being a loving prison guard, not everyone has the luxury of working for a fluffy feel good nonprofit if they want to eat and pay rent. this is a ridiculous equivalency. i don't like the company i work for but i'm not gonna say that the only acceptable job under capitalism is "unemployed trust fund brat" or that independent creators should be obligated to virtuously starve themselves to death rather than take an opportunity to get paid a real wage for their work. if you have concerns about their position at WoTC being used to pinkwash the company's shady track record, that's totally legit but has barely been the topic here at all, and I'd maybe give them a split second to justify themselves before immediately hauling out the torches?

Catfishenfuego posted:

Apparently the Japanese artist they stole from doesn't count in terms of pretending to care about non white people.

do you think the original artist of a piece produced for a Bandai Namco IP is going to see a single yen from an indie developer paying licensing fees? or does that artist not deserve a job either, seeing as by the standards of the deranged line of thinking that has been escalating in this thread that artist also sold out to a big exploitative megacorporation? there's a big loving contradiction here. it was a crummy lazy thing to do but its incredibly minor, the perceived harm is being blown way out of proportion and it's absolutely ludicrous to dig into it for 3 pages taking a magnifying glass to every piece of work they've ever done. i don't give a gently caress if they've been rude and temperamental, there is always a racialized element to directing a ton of hostile overexaggerated scrutiny against a PoC, they are always going to be in a more fragile and precarious position professionally because we live in hell. i didn't give a poo poo at first but this just keeps going and i really think its cruising towards unhealthy and irresponsible obsessive mock thread thinking. they don't deserve that kind of hostile attention, i don't think its justified and it really could gently caress them over.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

edit : gently caress it not worth it

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 18, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

working for a big company that does lovely things (welcome to capitalism) isn't the same as being a loving prison guard, not everyone has the luxury of working for a fluffy feel good nonprofit if they want to eat and pay rent. this is a ridiculous equivalency. i don't like the company i work for but i'm not gonna say that the only acceptable job under capitalism is "unemployed trust fund brat" or that independent creators should be obligated to virtuously starve themselves to death rather than take an opportunity to get paid a real wage for their work. if you have concerns about their position at WoTC being used to pinkwash the company's shady track record, that's totally legit but has barely been the topic here at all, and I'd maybe give them a split second to justify themselves before immediately hauling out the torches?

do you think the original artist of a piece produced for a Bandai Namco IP is going to see a single yen from an indie developer paying licensing fees? or does that artist not deserve a job either, seeing as by the standards of the deranged line of thinking that has been escalating in this thread that artist also sold out to a big exploitative megacorporation? there's a big loving contradiction here. it was a crummy lazy thing to do but its incredibly minor, the perceived harm is being blown way out of proportion and it's absolutely ludicrous to dig into it for 3 pages taking a magnifying glass to every piece of work they've ever done. i don't give a gently caress if they've been rude and temperamental, there is always a racialized element to directing a ton of hostile overexaggerated scrutiny against a PoC, they are always going to be in a more fragile and precarious position professionally because we live in hell. i didn't give a poo poo at first but this just keeps going and i really think its cruising towards unhealthy and irresponsible obsessive mock thread thinking. they don't deserve that kind of hostile attention, i don't think its justified and it really could gently caress them over.

Hey cool another "art theft is no big deal, guys, don't criticize people just for stealing other's labor" post

edit: even as we live in the hosed world where PoC/non-white-men catch harder consequences for their actions, a completely hosed thing yes, it doesn't really track to not criticize people just because they're marginalized. Be aware, sure, but I really don't think going over someone's work after they've been proven to be an art thief is some kind of unreasonable level of scrutiny and also art theft is not 'incredibly minor' christ

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Also, it's worth clarifying: The specific art thief is the designer who did the cover for Plot Armor, not DC. They probably should have caught that, but the artist is the real target of this discussion.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s less nobody noticed and more if they litigated that people should start talking about the far worse poo poo the Ennies have ignored involving their winners. The Ennies don’t actually give a gently caress.

The Ennies are garbage vanity awards.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

The Ennies are garbage vanity awards.

At least they're staying true to the awards they cribbed a name from

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, it's worth clarifying: The specific art thief is the designer who did the cover for Plot Armor, not DC. They probably should have caught that, but the artist is the real target of this discussion.

That would require DC to plead ignorance. Possible, I suppose, but I'm finding it hard to swallow.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. So I thought on this for a bit, and for now I'm gonna ask the thread to cool off and talk about something else. This conversation isn't strictly off-topic, art theft sucks, and you should ask questions if you think someone's doing it, but I also think this thread is going in on this too hard and for too long. I don't think it's fair to say this is fascism thread material, but we definitely don't need two pages of this interspersed with posts calling them a sellout and "hire more women guards" jokes, and at this point it's just going to go around in circles until someone cracks a wobbly. I'm sure you can find something else to talk about!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/TheGAMAOnline/status/1196452767688273920

This could be very good, or remarkably bad.

Given it's TG, I suspect the latter.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Can't be worse than the one Green Ronin came up with a while back, can it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I expect it to be fumbled but not out of malice or desire to protect bad actors. Mostly I just don't usually expect competence out of GAMA.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Sage Genesis posted:

Don't tempt fate. She has literally zero impulse control.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
At the very least, it (so far) seems to be a proactive attempt to help, rather than a reaction to some new sex creep with connections to the association getting outed?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Desiden posted:

At the very least, it (so far) seems to be a proactive attempt to help, rather than a reaction to some new sex creep with connections to the association getting outed?

I assumed it was related to this: https://tabletopwire.com/industry-distances-itself-from-game-designer-jr-honeycutt-after-allegations-of-sexual-abuse/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sage Genesis posted:

File it next to the Green Ronin Timeline (TM).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Just to check, the Green Ronin Timeline (TM) still hasn't come out, has it?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Gerund posted:

Just to check, the Green Ronin Timeline (TM) still hasn't come out, has it?

They 100% realized that actually posting that timeline would be even more tone-deaf than they already looked, even if it absolved them of some part of their garbage decision making.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Green Ronin did put out a harassment policy which basically boiled down to “tell us about it and maybe we’ll get back to you after talking to your harasser.” Which, you know, not great.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It was noted at the time that the proposed GR harassment policy would have completely exonerated GR if it had been in place during their CA Suleiman issue.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Meinberg posted:

Green Ronin did put out a harassment policy which basically boiled down to “tell us about it and maybe we’ll get back to you after talking to your harasser.” Which, you know, not great.

As I recall, it was even worse, something like “ask your harasser if they wouldn’t mind stopping, and only then are you allowed to come talk to us”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

I expect it to be fumbled but not out of malice or desire to protect bad actors. Mostly I just don't usually expect competence out of GAMA.
They fixed event reg, everything is possible.