Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

The more I think about it the more this game would be improved by replacing all the hostile natural aliens with either more imperial alien troopers and droids OR make the animals neutral who won’t attack you because of The Force but also make it so you can use to force to make animals attack imperials. Jedi should be attuned with the force and nature such that all the rats and bats and bugs shouldn’t give a poo poo about you.

it would be improved if the world "changed" to your actions and dark souls enemy layout/spawn systems don't work as well with a pretty "linear" story game. because nothing changes. you will always see those two rat monsters trying to eat the troopers body and all the troopers will be in the same place. it never feels alive. just do what the new asscreeds do and keep the combat soulish but keep everything else normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The bonfires, various exciting mud/ice funslides and Metroid poo poo can just go into the toilet. Tighten the combat up and make the entire game like the first and final act. This game should also have like twice as many bosses and no critter battles. Ok maybe one nod to the rancor because it's illegal not to, but piss off all the other stupid bugs and let me focus on protecting, balancing and peacekeeping by throwing hundreds of fascists off cliffs just to hear them scream.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's funny how there's a million ponchos and they all look like dogshit compared to the default jacket.

Best environmental kill so far is force pushing a stormtrooper into one of the giant Death Fans.

It may be faint praise but this is the best SP Star War in a while, so even if it's not genre-defining top teir poo poo a good workmanlike star war with a reasonably engaging plot and characters is a breath of fresh air.

E: also lol at the goofin of whoever scripted the bark dialogue, there's so many references to "the high ground"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 18, 2019

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
This is good Star Wars. Vader is absolutely terrifying.

For me, the only frustrating thing/drawback is the parry. Maybe it's just that I'm not a Soulsborne player, but I got through The Witcher 3 with parry and Dodge on the highest difficulty and for whatever reason just cannot find the timing in this game.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Game rules

Would be a lot better if 1. Cosmetics are more rewarding and 2. Remove half the monster enemies and replace with Storm Troopers.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I've read / know nothing about this game really, but the one thing I have heard in passing that it is a Star Wars take on a Dark Souls game. Is that an accurate description? I love Dark Souls games, but with two kids now, I don't have the same time to dedicate to games like I used too, so I have to pick and choose my games pretty carefully now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lead Psychiatry posted:

So, bounty hunters...

-Fought and lost to Murdie in the caverns of Zeffo where you meet the first Jotaz, which led to the arena fight on whatever that small meteoroid is called
-Beat JNX-whatever in the abandoned workshop in Bogano
-Beat some duo on Kashyyyk, beneath the AT-ST fight area with the elevator

Is this the extent of them?

There's a bunch more.

Duo in the Jedi Temple entrance on Ilum when you go back
Duo on the wrecked ship on Zeffo near the generators
Duo with a jetpack guy at the entrance to the tomb on Dathomir
Another Duo right next to the landing pad on Zeffo in that abandoned storage area with the shortcut door to the village
Duo in that elevator area on Zeffo where they showed the Purge trooper fight in that first gameplay demo
Duo on the long landing pad on the cliffs on Zeffo
Duo in the big landing area where you last see Saw and fight the AT-ST on Kashyyyk

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chaitai posted:

I've read / know nothing about this game really, but the one thing I have heard in passing that it is a Star Wars take on a Dark Souls game. Is that an accurate description? I love Dark Souls games, but with two kids now, I don't have the same time to dedicate to games like I used too, so I have to pick and choose my games pretty carefully now.

Mechanically it’s like a Dark Souls game with enemy placements/respawns and estus flasks but there are 4 difficulty modes including a “story mode” where you basically can’t die so it’s a safe game for limited gaming time/attention

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone mentioned that BD-1 is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTech_Socrates

edit: Just realized the wiki link doesn't show the actual robot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb5Im7lwc6g

That music is so horrifyingly discordant holy poo poo

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I miss when games all ripped off arkham for their combat, i hate this block block parry gameplay poo poo

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I want Jedi 2 to be a Shadow of War rip-off.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Star Wars needs to go back to the NES/SNES days as a 2d platformer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's funny how there's a million ponchos and they all look like dogshit compared to the default jacket.

Say that to my free kashyyk poncho’s face!

Also my favorite environmental kill was pushing the brick in the chandelier room into a bounty hunter.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 18, 2019

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Dogen posted:

Say that to my free kashyyk poncho’s face!

Is this the "rainforest" color? Bc if so yea that's the best one

My favorite environmental kill is the dozen times I've come into a room, seen a Jedi Hunter or whatever type of dude bragging to a stormtrooper about how badass he is, and promptly force shoving him over the edge of a cliff mid sentence

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It looks kind of the same as that but it has more detail around the shoulders, a hood, and a red symbol on the back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I keep waiting for one to be Clint Eastwood's poncho from Fistful of Dollars.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it really feels like they should have just picked one way or the other on the Uncharted/Dark Souls scale and gone all the way with it. the combat and collectible hunting feels like it’s a good foundation for an action RPG, but the progression is limited and the actual collectibles are just cosmetics. the level design and enemy placements often feel designed for a fast Uncharted style adventure, but the combat controls don’t feel designed for it.

there’s parts that really work and the combat system is good for 1v1 or DS style hunting and picking off small mobs but then they throw you into huge crowd fights and these fast movement and combat set pieces where I feel like they should have just gone with an Arkham/Spiderman style combat system

that said for FO2 i really hope they go full action RPG because i think that’s much closer to what most people, myself included, want.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is there going to be DLC/extra missions for this? Or is it a one-off? Wouldn't surprise me if EA just monetizes the cosmetic poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This game feels very undercooked. Like it needed another 6 months or so to really nail it. Also they should have payed Platinum to consult with them on their combat system, because they make some very fundamentally stupid mistakes in terms of animation timing and player feedback that could have been easily rectified and made for a much more satisying combo system.

It is by no means a bad game, but this is not as good as I hoped a Respawn Star Wars game would be.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Dogen posted:

It looks kind of the same as that but it has more detail around the shoulders, a hood, and a red symbol on the back.

Whoa what, where did you get this? Can you put the hood up?? I currently just have arrived near the top of the magic tree via a rare bird flight where do I go to get new poncho.

It's me I'm the guy that really likes cosmetics in games even if there're no stat changes

e: Actually given where I am in the Kashyyk story line I'm guessing it may be in the future somewhere?

e2: Also, 16 hours deep and I only have two outfit colors - the gray/blue we start with, and a like beige/dirty white - what are the other outfit colors and where are they?

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 18, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

At some point will I be able to sport a purple lightsaber? This is very important to me.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

At some point will I be able to sport a purple lightsaber? This is very important to me.

Yes but according to mah friend it's p late-ish in the game

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Having fun with this game, and it’s good for what it is, but man it really isn’t scratching that KOTOR itch at all. The RPG elements present are all just really shallow, and that’s what I’ve been missing the most out of Star Wars games basically since KOTOR. Let me make my own friggin Jedi, sheesh!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Let me make my own friggin Jedi, sheesh!!!

This is a sore spot even wanting this style of game more than a full rpg. Cal's not bad, but he's also about as standard a star wars protagonist as can be, I wish they'd at least given you a fun character creator, even if they'd probably have to make some statement about what version of him is canonical to satisfy the lore nerds.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

black.lion posted:

Whoa what, where did you get this? Can you put the hood up?? I currently just have arrived near the top of the magic tree via a rare bird flight where do I go to get new poncho.

It's me I'm the guy that really likes cosmetics in games even if there're no stat changes

e: Actually given where I am in the Kashyyk story line I'm guessing it may be in the future somewhere?

e2: Also, 16 hours deep and I only have two outfit colors - the gray/blue we start with, and a like beige/dirty white - what are the other outfit colors and where are they?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5U87V_TG_8A

I have a green outfit color as well, I think there are only like 5 total.

You can’t put the hood up.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Dogen posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5U87V_TG_8A

I have a green outfit color as well, I think there are only like 5 total.

You can’t put the hood up.

Ah word, thanks for teh link, looks like i may have just passed it but I still like my rainforest poncho better (just bc of the shape) so I'm not as distraught as I expected

Still mad I'm missing outfit colors tho grrrrrrrrr

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cal should’ve been a black woman full stop.

This game has zero RPG elements and I’m happy for that, but making the protagonist of your Star Wars epic a white dude in 2019 is the actual most boring approach to character design possible

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

counterpoint his character in shameless is gay

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Bust Rodd posted:

This game has zero RPG elements and I’m happy for that, but making the protagonist of your Star Wars epic a white dude in 2019 is the actual most boring approach to character design possible

Kill off Cal in Jedi 2, play as Cere with some dark side powers too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

There's not really any good reason why the game didn't have chargen: Cal is a personality-free cipher for you to project yourself on, with a backstory that basically anyone could've had. I wouldn't be surprised if open character creation was the intent somewhere during production, but the need to turn every goddamn new Star Wars thing into its own spinoff likely forced their hand into settling on a blandly marketable protagonist for the inevitable TV series/movie deal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

I do like that the main supporting character is a black woman with textured hair, at least.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The planets in this game are just not that interesting to me, I guess I wanted more RPG style open worlds with cities and settlements and places inhabited by NPCs. Kashyyk was cool though.

I'd like to see more exploration of life under the empire, I feel like SW never uses the broad artistic license they're given to make cool, fantastical poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely don’t feel like I’m a good guy holding up the Light Side of the Force by wading into these animals natural habitats and pushing them to extinction via dismemberment and throwing them off cliffs.

A bit of ludo-narrative dissonance if you will.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

The planets in this game are just not that interesting to me, I guess I wanted more RPG style open worlds with cities and settlements and places inhabited by NPCs. Kashyyk was cool though.

I'd like to see more exploration of life under the empire, I feel like SW never uses the broad artistic license they're given to make cool, fantastical poo poo.

This is also what I desperately crave from a Star Wars game. The worlds in this one are fairly large, but not really all that open. I wanna be able to go to Tatooine and putter around a cantina or explore a slice of Coruscant, all with NPCs filling in and making the place seem alive. I would waste so much time on Mass Effect with a Star Wars paint job.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´ve played this for about 6+ hors now and I´m having a good time. To be honest, what I miss is a character creator and an RPG system for this game. Guess I wouldn´t mind seeing something like that for an eventual sequel.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah having cere (black lady) as the protagonist would have made for a more cohesive story since her relationship with trilla is probably its most powerfully rendered dramatic element.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2019

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Traitorous Leopard posted:

This is also what I desperately crave from a Star Wars game. The worlds in this one are fairly large, but not really all that open. I wanna be able to go to Tatooine and putter around a cantina or explore a slice of Coruscant, all with NPCs filling in and making the place seem alive. I would waste so much time on Mass Effect with a Star Wars paint job.

Exactly, all this game did was make me want a true open world Star Wars rpg more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely don’t feel like I’m a good guy holding up the Light Side of the Force by wading into these animals natural habitats and pushing them to extinction via dismemberment and throwing them off cliffs.

A bit of ludo-narrative dissonance if you will.

It's okay they repopulate instantly whenever you take a nap.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I'd prefer a character creator but at least Cal is not sporting a buzz cut. The late 00s were some dark times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah whenever I force pull a stormtrooper and impale him through the stomach I feel a little dark sidey about it.