Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol the showrunners were vacilitating between a practical puppet and CGI for baby yoda, and for the scene Herzog shot with the puppet they were going to take it away and do a clean plate take, and he called them "cowards" for not trusting their practical effect and said to leave it.

herzog owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

poisonpill posted:

Man imagine the guy who played Porkins forty years ago finding this thread that is literal pages upon pages raggin on him

alas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hootkins

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is no one talking about the 2nd Disney+ edit from Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7cuQ2vnmo

This will never stop being funny. :allears:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

Man imagine the guy who played Porkins forty years ago finding this thread that is literal pages upon pages raggin on him

He's dead Jim. I hear they dug up old footage of all those pilots that are now dead and inserted into Rogue One instead of filming new ones. These movies are soon going to be nothing but a bunch of walking corpses.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mooey Cow posted:

He's dead Jim. I hear they dug up old footage of all those pilots that are now dead and inserted into Rogue One instead of filming new ones. These movies are soon going to be nothing but a bunch of walking corpses.

Luminous beings are we

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

At least Disney are being respectful of his memory.

wookieepedia posted:

The Porkins Belly Run was a flight maneuver taught as a training basic to the pilots of the Resistance around thirty years after the Battle of Endor. It was named in honor of the venerated pilot Jek Tono Porkins, who flew for the Alliance to Restore the Republic and lost his life during the Battle of Yavin, in which the Rebellion successfully destroyed the Galactic Empire's first Death Star.

The Porkins Belly Run was first mentioned in Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo and published in 2015.

lol Belly Run cuz he got a fat belly.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do a belly roll

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Voting Floater posted:

lol Belly Run cuz he got a fat belly.

it's because he did the run in less than twelve porksecs

fake edit:
porksex

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i jhust got here wtf is mclunky

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You don't come in here and call a man McClunky to his face, that's a straight ticket to get shot

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

"Cover me Porkins" is what you order at in n out if you want three meat patties wrapped in a bacon-net instead of a bun

also what my prom date shouted at me

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

poisonpill posted:

They named the drat man "Porkins", this thread is a drop in the ocean.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do a belly roll

"Pulling up is a good trick"

<smashes into Death Star>

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pulling out, that’s a good trick!
*Smashes into Queen Amidala and has twins*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

He dead as Mooey Cow said.
But he was in Raiders in the Lost Ark, Batman and Superman 4, so had better longer roles.
And if he did conventions I would have paid the poo poo to get a pic with him.
RIP Porkins.

Edit: gently caress me, he was the monk in Blackadder 2.

NWS

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 18, 2019

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The Mandolorian freakin slaps.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

GolfHole posted:

i jhust got here wtf is mclunky

mclunky is a pretty big insult in the states, but don't ever say it in mexico (mclunko) or you'll definitely get murdered

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is no one talking about the 2nd Disney+ edit from Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7cuQ2vnmo

sorry but this one is really bad

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

*insert gif of Spaceballs: The Flame Thrower here*

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I wasn’t sure what fridge to buy but that ones got Star Wars on it so I think I’ll get that

Chrs fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 18, 2019

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously if you're getting a sci-fi branded fridge there's only one option.

Smeg is an old British brand and yes, they have done tie ins with Red Dwarf.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lodin posted:

Obviously if you're getting a sci-fi branded fridge there's only one option.

Smeg is an old British brand and yes, they have done tie ins with Red Dwarf.

Uh they’re Italian.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Only a smeghead would get that wrong.

Also, Jawas eat the egg.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
https://i.imgur.com/mp2lDXG.mp4

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so was that tatooine or are Jawas a spacefaring species

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Most "lore" has always said Jawas are only on tattoine and not spacefaring apart from the rare individual, but that's always been dumb, of course they would be spacefaring.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I forgot to post this yesterday re: Werner herzog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAsYkrEwjM

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Archer666 posted:

finally, a place for my blue milk

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Most "lore" has always said Jawas are only on tattoine and not spacefaring apart from the rare individual, but that's always been dumb, of course they would be spacefaring.

The Walrus posted:

so was that tatooine or are Jawas a spacefaring species

Wookiepedia (the gently caress am I doing with my life) tells me that the planet is actually Arvala-7 and totally not Arvakkooine.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

sorry but this one is really bad

Right? George Lucas is the worst!

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol the showrunners were vacilitating between a practical puppet and CGI for baby yoda, and for the scene Herzog shot with the puppet they were going to take it away and do a clean plate take, and he called them "cowards" for not trusting their practical effect and said to leave it.

If only they'd cast Herzog as Qui-Gon Jinn.

Lucas: "Hm. Yeah. So this guy has a double-bladed lightsaber. You're going to have a fifteen-minute long fight sequence and-"

Herz-Og Jinn: "No. Zeir fight is emotional. I vill stare at him and dare him to approach us, for I know him to be a coward."

Lucas: "Hm. Well. We need to have a bunch of special effects."

Herz-Og Jinn: "I vill cast my lightsaber to ze floor and trample upon it, for ze force is my true ally. A true Jedi needs not zuch primitive devices."

Lucas: "Hm. Has somebody got my coffee?"

Herz-Og Jinn: "I see now vere you got ze idea for Jabba, peering across time as you did at your own future self."

Lucas: "Hm. What? Oh. Did I forget to say action?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In the movies they were reclusive scavengers who sold junk that they found. All of their poo poo was dingy and in disrepair, the sandcrawler was full of garbage and whatever working droids they had were probably found that way. They don't seem to be intelligent enough to build or even pilot a space ship, so I guess we could assume that a bunch of jawas showed up at mos eisley and were like "our boss is an rear end in a top hat please take us to a new desert planet, here are some spacebux"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

Lucas: "Hm. Yeah. So this guy has a double-bladed lightsaber. You're going to have a fifteen-minute long fight sequence and-"

Herz-Og Jinn: "No. Zeir fight is emotional. I vill stare at him and dare him to approach us, for I know him to be a coward."

Herz-Og Jinn: "I vill cast my lightsaber to ze floor and trample upon it, for ze force is my true ally. A true Jedi needs not zuch primitive devices."

Herz-Og Jinn: "I see now vere you got ze idea for Jabba, peering across time as you did at your own future self."

lol this is a good post

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

QuarkJets posted:

In the movies they were reclusive scavengers who sold junk that they found. All of their poo poo was dingy and in disrepair, the sandcrawler was full of garbage and whatever working droids they had were probably found that way. They don't seem to be intelligent enough to build or even pilot a space ship, so I guess we could assume that a bunch of jawas showed up at mos eisley and were like "our boss is an rear end in a top hat please take us to a new desert planet, here are some spacebux"?

Not to rag on you or anything, but this post is doing the same thing that people in this thread constantly complain that Star Wars does, which is assume that whenever the movies show a specific case, it must be totally generalized to the entire rest of the setting. Obi-wan wears earth toned robes when we meet him therefore all other Jedi wear earth toned robes in the prequels. All Hutts are gangsters, all mandalorians are bounty hunters, etc. My point is that maybe these guys in ANH are just a bunch of troglodyte grease monkeys who live in some lovely desert on some lovely planet because they’ve got a good racket going there and there’s a whole planet of Jawas out there somewhere with a flourishing high culture based on shrieking various intonations of “uteedee!”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

revwinnebago posted:

"Okay so your character can't understand the droids beeping because you don't speak binary."

"I do understand though, because it is ze language of all life. It is not beeping but screaming. It is a galaxy of death."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

Not to rag on you or anything, but this post is doing the same thing that people in this thread constantly complain that Star Wars does, which is assume that whenever the movies show a specific case, it must be totally generalized to the entire rest of the setting. Obi-wan wears earth toned robes when we meet him therefore all other Jedi wear earth toned robes in the prequels. All Hutts are gangsters, all mandalorians are bounty hunters, etc. My point is that maybe these guys in ANH are just a bunch of troglodyte grease monkeys who live in some lovely desert on some lovely planet because they’ve got a good racket going there and there’s a whole planet of Jawas out there somewhere with a flourishing high culture based on shrieking various intonations of “uteedee!”

Disney paid me to quote this post and write maclunky in place of uteedee but I won't do it. I won't participate in this marketing campaign for Disney+ (now available).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Obi-wan wears earth toned robes when we meet him therefore all other Jedi wear earth toned robes in the prequels.

i always thought this was silly. all the prequel jedi dress like they are living on a desert planet

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Archer666 posted:

Irrelevant marketing like this is so confounding. I went to Kroger a while back for groceries around when TLJ was in theaters and picked up a Dole salad mix of all things that had Rey on the package for some reason and I was like "Why????"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

i always thought this was silly. all the prequel jedi dress like they are living on a desert planet

Yeah, I assumed when I was a kid that Obi-Wan wore crappy robes because he lived on a crappy desert planet and he wanted to blend in as a faceless old dude... not because that was the official garb of the Jedi??? I was so confused when I saw The Phantom Menace and thought it was the dumbest loving thing. George Lucas is a moron and has no idea how to build a believable setting.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rutibex posted:

Some do, some don’t. I can see where the criticism comes from but there are a good number of prequel Jedi who wear notably different things from Ben and Yoda. The majority of them tend to wear tunics and robes in simple earth tones, which could be said of plenty of religious orders whether they live in deserts or not. But there’s also weirdoes like Anakin with all his black leather, Ayla or Ahsoka showing a bunch of skin, or Luminara and Barriss both doing full length black robes all the time. I also think the reception of the prequel Jedi would have been even worse if Lucas had deviated wildly from what the Jedi in the original movies looked like and put them all in shining armor or something.