Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

I'm with you (here and only here). I think it's because I grew up drinking diet pop in the bad old days before non-terrifying artificial sweeteners and now the regular stuff just tastes too sugary.

I hope you also agree that stevia/splenda diet coke are disgusting. I'll take the mostly made up and misconstrued/disproven health risks of aspartame over that stuff any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hope you also agree that stevia/splenda diet coke are disgusting. I'll take the mostly made up and misconstrued/disproven health risks of aspartame over that stuff any day.

I don't know that I've ever tried them. I'm not a huge pop drinker in general these days anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

I don't know that I've ever tried them. I'm not a huge pop drinker in general these days anyway.

I thought they'd be good because I like splenda in my coffee, but the diet coke version with it is just...weird. It's somehow even more sickly sweet than regular coke.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

docbeard posted:

They’re called sodas, tyvm

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I also circumvent this tedious internet argument by using both terms interchangeably.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New York pizza isn't bad, it is just wildly overrated.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

gently caress you, it's pop.

Coke always feels vaguely syrupy when I'm drinking it. And Pepsi is better.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress you, it's pop.

Coke always feels vaguely syrupy when I'm drinking it. And Pepsi is better.

gently caress you!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

docbeard posted:

I also circumvent this tedious internet argument by using both terms interchangeably.

Too late!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite kind of coke is diet sunkist

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Every person I've known that outright dislikes pizza has been from the east coast, and I never thought much of it until I visited New York and all of the pizza had sauce that was loaded with sugar. Sugar doesn't go there, what the gently caress.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Chicago hot dogs are more of an abomination than Chicago pizza.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mother never let me drink Diet Coke as a kid because I'm not diabetic.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

I had a normal hot dog in Chicago once and put ketchup on it, because I like ketchup who cares, and this girl about had a heart attack

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mother never let me drink Diet Coke as a kid because I'm not diabetic.

Gotta drink more Classic Coke THEN you get to drink the Diet Coke

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

rodbeard posted:

:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm picking up some shifts as a delivery boy for a deli on some nights to not be as poor, and that means tips, and that means I try to spend that cash day-to-day to save actual paychecks.

Self-checkout machines should tell you they are card-only before you start scanning. Stop making me have to shuffle away and unbag my first item like an idiot, machine. You are the idiot!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best pizza is obviously Italian pizza and all the other ones are weak derivatives

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I played a song from a Spotify playlist in my PC browser and it opened Spotify on my phone and started playing it there, too. WTF?

Then this morning, after my phone paired to my car, Spotify pulled an "Imma let you finish" on my usual music app, cutting off my local MP3s to pick up where it left off on the playlist. Who asked you? Go away! :mad:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Self-checkout machines should tell you they are card-only before you start scanning. Stop making me have to shuffle away and unbag my first item like an idiot, machine. You are the idiot!

This, but in reverse. My local supermarket clearly labels the card only machines with big green signs and there's usually a staff member to point this out if there's a line.

Scan your first item: this is a card only machine, do you want to continue? I can read and my ears work, stop bothering me!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Elissimpark posted:

This, but in reverse. My local supermarket clearly labels the card only machines with big green signs and there's usually a staff member to point this out if there's a line.

Scan your first item: this is a card only machine, do you want to continue? I can read and my ears work, stop bothering me!

I guarantee that staff member has to deal with at least five people per shift swearing at them because the customer didn't realize it was a card only machine

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I still hate the phrase "is a thing", i associate it with "quirky" airheads and people who don't read

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

I still hate the phrase "is a thing", i associate it with "quirky" airheads and people who don't read

So I’m guessing you’re old

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So I’m guessing you’re old

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It has nothing to do with age but "is a thing" is an infantile phrase. It's meant to make the speaker sound chipper and is a substitute for a range of more precise phrases. It comes from the same linguistic sewage pipe as TED talks.

Just look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsn4z7bNb14

The channel topic is potentially interesting but it's delivered in such a grating style that I just don't want to watch it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

This is the prototypical pet peeve but, what kind of person do you have to be to take all the office coffee then walk away without making more :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Do people still say this? I associate it with the early 2010s, which was also the height of people being “quirky.”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

being quirky is still a thing

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Peeve: Low effort humans. Don't expect me to keep giving you my best if you are going to half rear end everything. (You may be exempt if you have depression or something) Don't expect me to shoulder the burden if you insist on doing as little as possible in the project/conversation/friendship/whatever.

Living that :sever: life yo!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How the blindest inch-from-the-grave mashed potato olds have giant terrifying moon-fortress vehicles

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do people still say this? I associate it with the early 2010s, which was also the height of people being “quirky.”

I hear it all the time, it's even crept into Dutch and possibly other languages as well. I suspect it originated with a certain kind of Californian speaker

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

I hear it all the time, it's even crept into Dutch and possibly other languages as well. I suspect it originated with a certain kind of Californian speaker

Different accents are a thing yo

(We were saying that in West Texas and NM my whole life, why do goons think everything is an affectation)

E: i’m actually like, kinda glad that angry old goons would hate the way i speak irl, you know?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Different accents are a thing yo

(We were saying that in West Texas and NM my whole life, why do goons think everything is an affectation)

E: i’m actually like, kinda glad that angry old goons would hate the way i speak irl, you know?

Well how old are you? I'm curious where that phrase came from.

It only really gained widespread currency at the end of the 2000's I think, I remember seeing it in things like Achewood at around that time.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Shibawanko posted:

The best pizza is obviously Italian pizza and all the other ones are weak derivatives

Minnesota style pizza is the best. It's not Red's Savoy so don't listen to them. It's good, but it's no Frankie's or Gina Maria's.

Discuss.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
People, people. Whatever pizza you have in front of you when it's 1 am and you are really hungry is the best. Always.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/144171/the-idiom-be-a-thing

phrase was used in an episode of that 70s show in 2001 so no it was not made up in the mid or late 2000s by and for internet memes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TofuDiva posted:

People, people. Whatever pizza you have in front of you when it's 1 am and you are really hungry is the best. Always.

This is a thing

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Andrast posted:

being quirky is still a thing

Can’t shirk the quirk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Well how old are you? I'm curious where that phrase came from.

It only really gained widespread currency at the end of the 2000's I think, I remember seeing it in things like Achewood at around that time.

Apparently eastern and western variants of "standard american" or whatever you call it are actually diverging at present so maybe that has something to do with it? It doesn't sound affected at all to me. "Quirky affectation" in people who sound like me is usually like, talking about watching telly or calling your friends "mate" or going "bloody hell"

Yes quirky people are all teaboos why do you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently eastern and western variants of "standard american" or whatever you call it are actually diverging at present so maybe that has something to do with it?

This is interesting! Are there any papers or articles on it?