Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Mzbundifund posted:

There's no way I'm fishing up that many crates ever.

I mean with fishing potion and the crimtane/demonite fishing pole you get them in a matter of minutes anyway so If you try to get reaver shark as a pick during pre-hardmode you likely have enough crates already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I'm going to break my finger off trying to get the clockwork assault rifle with just the phoenix blaster to fight the wall of flesh with. I should just make the platform route half the map and use the minishark with meteor shot I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Buff potions and Meteor armor/space gun will make quick work of the Wall of Flesh with a decently long runway.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buff potions and Meteor armor/space gun will make quick work of the Wall of Flesh with a decently long runway.

But that's caster stuff and I'm all about the real guns.

Anyone remember when you started the game with zero mana and so you couldn't use the magic mirror until you gathered 10 fallen stars to make one of those mana stars?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eschenique posted:

I'm going to break my finger off trying to get the clockwork assault rifle with just the phoenix blaster to fight the wall of flesh with. I should just make the platform route half the map and use the minishark with meteor shot I think.

The main reason I'm never playing without mods ever again is exactly this. gently caress any weapon that doesn't autoswing/shoot. I can give up magic storage, I can give up AlchemyNPC and VeinMiner and everything else.

But I ain't ever playing Terraria without OmniSwing ever again. Ever. I'll literally wait for the mods to update for JE before playing.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Back when fallen stars had no non-caster users besides ammo for the starcannon. I would gather up all fallen stars and use them for one quick easy kill of the destroyer and that would unlock megashark which would make everything else easier.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The main reason I'm never playing without mods ever again is exactly this. gently caress any weapon that doesn't autoswing/shoot. I can give up magic storage, I can give up AlchemyNPC and VeinMiner and everything else.

But I ain't ever playing Terraria without OmniSwing ever again. Ever. I'll literally wait for the mods to update for JE before playing.

Fantastic mod suggestions there

Edit: lol at omniswing has phoenix blaster as black listed by default.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 18, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I play with cheat sheet all the time now and it helps make the game even more eternally replayable, I've gone through all the content once and I'm happy to just build little zen gardens in peace

Terraria modding really did turn out to be unexpectedly fantastic

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So, in expert mode the Brain of Cthulhu gets a little bit tougher yeah?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So, in expert mode the Brain of Cthulhu gets a little bit tougher yeah?

Yeah, sometimes I don't even bother killing him since you get tons of tissue samples from the eyeballs. You only need like 60 of them to make all their equipment and the eyes alone drop well north of 100 on expert.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 18, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Hell yes. Found a herb bag in a cave chest while out gathering mushrooms and it had 6 fireblossom seeds.

Haven't killed any bosses yet but herbs coming in good. Also mushroom farm starting from 1 seed I found.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 18, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Trip report time, the DragonBall Terraria mod is really fun and incredibly broken in a funny way. I'm just before Skeletron and already have functionally infinite flight that moves faster than anything in the base game, and enough damage that I could probably fight one of the Mechanical bosses and win. And I'm going to unlock a whole new tier of upgrades once I hit up Skeletron and the Dungeon.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, the Dragon Ball mod is bizarrely well done and comprehensive. I got rid of it since I don't really do fighting stuff, but what was there was pretty cool, and I'm hoping to use it again after the final update is out and mods get fixed to work with it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've got a long plane trip ahead of me, and I'm tempted to pick this up on my phone or the Switch.

But I'm also pretty wary about playing without mods, I usually don't run it with big overhauls or anything but I did end up writing my own mod to improve medium-core by keeping all your items stored in a tombstone and automatically slotting them back in the right spot once you get back to it.

That was a while ago though I don't suppose they made any QoL improvements to the base game like that since then have they?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That was a while ago though I don't suppose they made any QoL improvements to the base game like that since then have they?
Sorry, but no. Stuff still drops right on the ground for anyone to pick up. No idea why you would do that to yourself if you don't actually like the mechanic as-is, though. It's not like it makes the game more difficult than softcore in any way besides that.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

A bunch of friends and I like to play through that way to give a sense of danger and tension to exploring. It's way more fun to try and work together to clear out the dungeon rather than doing quick suicide runs to pickup everything in chests (to me it is at least).

But it is actual hell when fighting bosses since when someone dies the nearest person hoovers up all their stuff, there's no way to manage it during the fight and it's just tedious housekeeping afterwards

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Then don't do suicide runs in dungeons. I can't imagine why you'd not like softcore deaths and do mediumcore except you don't like how mediumcore does death and want to mod it so it's essentially softcore but worse.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Are crystal bullets still overpowered?

Last time I played they outmatched rarer/more expensive ammo to a ridiculous degree.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah they’re still absurd if the crystals hi

also making your items appear in a container in mediumcore seems like a good feature to me even if I still wouldn’t play with it :shrug: it still makes it so deaths aren’t just mostly a free teleport back home

watho fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 19, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah it seems like a reasonable change, normally Mediumcore just drops them on the ground, right? This protects you against the physics dropping into lava or or down a giant pit several hundred blocks lower than the rest of it or the game crashing after autosaving before you can get back to them. You've still gotta get back to where you died and pick it up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but you get a free chest every time you die, that's OP

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I kind of hacked it to make a tombstone give you all your stuff back instead, and to put it right back in the same slot you had it in so you don't have to mess with your inventory again.

It just adds that extra consequence to dying that gives the game the extra tension we're looking for while removing the tedious inventory management aspect of picking everything back up in a random order

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The aspect of putting everything in the same spot is pretty ingenious tbh. I mostly play with calamity these days so I have enough tension when it comes to death as is, but tweaking the difficulty to feel just right is one of the big aspects of modding.

I’ve been meaning to get into making some mods myself but I need to have time at the same time that I’m not in a bad depressive episode, and it’s also pretty overwhelming even if I have some experience with making mods and games

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

This Onyx blaster with crystal shots is the closest I'll ever get to nuclear weapons in this game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There is a nuke mod. It will completely annihilate a large chunk of your world and has no practical use but it exists

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

And frost armor and now each crystal shard is a blue fireball :allears:

A blue fireball that goes through walls to light enemies on fire.

I don't even want to upgrade from this stuff to boring old shroom armor and mega shark/uzi later on

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 19, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Terraia is so goddamn fun

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black August posted:

Terraia is so goddamn fun
:hmmyes:

EDIT: I should try that DBZ mod I heard about recently.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes:

EDIT: I should try that DBZ mod I heard about recently.

DBZ mod is good

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

DBZ mod is good

Nuff said.

Guess I'm loading up Terraria tonight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

DBZ mod is good

How high does it scale? Does it stop around the moon lord, or does it keep going up for like, post-moon-lord stuff in mods like Calamity?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It stops after Moon Lord, technically, but it's kind of an overpowered mod so it can probably fit in comfortably for most mods post-ML content except Calamity, predictably. And even then it can probably hang in there for the early stages of it.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

The drop rate for accessories from the fishing quests are kind of BS. I've done 50 quests and gotten 1 item so far.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 21, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've been actually not having to do any waiting on account of the 1 quest per day limit, as it is actually taking me that long to travel to each biome, set up, drink my potions, fish until the potions wear off, and then teleport back and do inventory (slowest part). But I'm accumulating three extra of each quest fish each time so soon enough I'll be stuck waiting because I've already got the fish. By that time I guess I can just stop fishing and resume exploration or preparing to re challenge the Brain while being sure to just pop into the quest fish chest once per day.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

DBZ mod is good

"People and non-Boss enemies of Terraria, give me your energy!"

And then off in the distance, the Guide dies when a demon dies and drops his voodoo doll in magma by accident.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

How high does it scale? Does it stop around the moon lord, or does it keep going up for like, post-moon-lord stuff in mods like Calamity?

I played through modded terraria with calamity and dbz mod on expert last year and unless it's rebalanced it will absolutely get you through everything. infinite 360 degree flight plus very powerful ranged options in post moonlord

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

I just got through Moon Lord this morning in my current playthrough. The pillars drop a new type of fragment - Radiant, specifically for DBZMod items. With it, you can make a weapon that deals Ki damage, homes in on enemies, pierces through up to 16 enemies, and sits on top of stuff it doesn't immediately one hit kill, constantly spinning in place for those 16 hits.

The damage advertised on the tooltip is 800+ with the best modifier. And with the Super Saiyan God transformation, it deals over 1600 damage per hit to anything it touches.

It's a tiny bit broken.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I remember loving around with the infinite ki accessory, and charging a Super Spirit Bomb so big I could spam-summon any boss in the game and watch them melt into the light

It is surreal how well they adapted DBZ concepts to game mechanics, a well charged spirit bomb actually could make or break it against a hard boss if you manage to charge it long enough and aim right

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As long as you don't get one of these bullshit bosses that go "you're dealing too much damage so you must be cheating so I'm just gonna instakill you".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's traditional that any DBZ mod for any game also has to be overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

always bet on dbz