Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

skasion posted:

Not only is there no way it’s what he intended, it’s directly contradictory to what he actually wrote in Chapterhouse

Face Dancers breaking free from their masters isn't unique or cool enough. Just some old man poo poo for nerds who read books.

Now robots? That's the good poo poo :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Baron von der Loon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GBUW2Jw6LQ
Never saw this one before. It's... something.

Somehow, I have this game buried somewhere deep in a desk drawer, in one of those bargain bin paper jewel cases. I have no memory of when or where I found it, only that I couldn't get it to run at the time and clearly that was a mercy.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1195441468749602817?s=19

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Angle grinders would be too fast. Powered clamps perhaps? And gas. And lasgun mines or RC drones with lasguns.

That is something I was never clear on. Do shields impose a speed limit within a radius or only for transfer across a 'shell' barrier? If it is the latter then grenades on sticks but if it is the former then surely they would mess up a lot of biological processes and similar.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Patrat posted:

That is something I was never clear on. Do shields impose a speed limit within a radius or only for transfer across a 'shell' barrier? If it is the latter then grenades on sticks but if it is the former then surely they would mess up a lot of biological processes and similar.

Shields only affect things impacting the shield shell.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Can you imagine naming a character in a real book “Paolo”?

Isn't this a real name

Like Portuguese?

E: I looked it up and it's Italian for Paul
E2: extremely beat lol
Doom: the demonslayer planet

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 17, 2019

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Its the name of one of the best living SF authors, guys.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Paolo sighed as he drew his katana

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1195952255993884672/photo/1

Watch as the public mistake Stilgar, Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho as the same person while in stillsuits.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Stellan Starrsgard is gonna have to gain a whole lot of weight really quickly.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

So, we’re just not getting any Lovely Feyd action this film, are we?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1195952255993884672/photo/1

Watch as the public mistake Stilgar, Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho as the same person while in stillsuits.

It certainly would help if there were a bit more daylight between some of those characters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enkmar posted:

It certainly would help if there were a bit more daylight between some of those characters

They couldn't be more different

One is brave, cunning, and skilled
One is skilled, cunning, and brave,
And the other is cunning, brave, and skilled

Guh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That cast is ridiculous. I really like zendaya, she's a good pick for chani.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

yeah it is. almost to the point that i don’t believe it. bautista as rabban is pretty hilarious mainly because i’m just mentally doing deep fakes into lynch’s dune.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

imagine drew carrey as baron harkonnen and stavros halkias as glossu rabban

edit: wait drew carry is thin now damnit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whose Planet Is It Anyway

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Family Feud

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

The Spice is Right!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bill Skarsgard seems such an obvious choice if they need a Feyd.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Bill Skarsgard seems such an obvious choice if they need a Feyd.
How do you figure that? Feyd-Rautha is only a Harkonnen in name, his father is also Rabbans father and they were born on Lankiveil.

EDIT: To clarify my point a bit, don't Bill and Stellan look too similar?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 18, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't really think they look similar. More that Bill has a good combination of handsome, lanky and creepy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I don't really think they look similar. More that Bill has a good combination of handsome, lanky and creepy.
That's a fair point, plus it's not as if makeup-artists can't work magic - so it'll probably be fine. And I'd much rather have Bill as Feyd than no Feyd.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's a fair point, plus it's not as if makeup-artists can't work magic - so it'll probably be fine. And I'd much rather have Bill as Feyd than no Feyd.

So are you suggesting it’s better to Bill out than to Feyd away?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ratatozsk posted:

So are you suggesting it’s better to Bill out than to Feyd away?

Boo this man

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I realize I'm stuck on the Scott Brick (solo version) audiobook characterization but the Duncan Idaho in my head is not Jason Momoa. It's just hard to imagine him as a professional soldier who takes orders and serves his Duke. If this were 1990 it would be like casting Mel Gibson in that role.

To me Idaho is a hero for sure but he's also someone who says, "Sir, yes sir" without a smirk on his face.

I would picture someone more like Gladiator-era Russell Crowe or Kevin McKidd from HBO's Rome.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 18, 2019

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Karl Urban as Duncan Idaho imo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Imagined posted:

I realize I'm stuck on the Scott Brick (solo version) audiobook characterization but the Duncan Idaho in my head is not Jason Momoa. It's just hard to imagine him as a professional soldier who takes orders and serves his Duke. If this were 1990 it would be like casting Mel Gibson in that role.

To me Idaho is a hero for sure but he's also someone who says, "Sir, yes sir" without a smirk on his face.

I would picture someone more like Gladiator-era Russell Crowe or Kevin McKidd from HBO's Rome.

Momoa strikes me as a better fit for the Duncan(s) of books 4-6, by which point he’s morphed into an all-action wiseass sex god and is thus basically a Jason Momoa character anyway. Idaho in the first book is almost nothing like even the depressive clone of books 2-3 let alone what the character eventually became.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I dunno, I re-read the chapter in Book 1 where Duncan comes in all drunk on spice beer and accuses Jessica of treachery and she slaps the poo poo out of him, and I can totally see Momoa acting the gently caress out of that scene.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mister Speaker posted:

I dunno, I re-read the chapter in Book 1 where Duncan comes in all drunk on spice beer and accuses Jessica of treachery and she slaps the poo poo out of him, and I can totally see Momoa acting the gently caress out of that scene.

If he loses the beard and the eyeliner he'll be fine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well then, have I got good news for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3l8gsieRY

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hot drat that's perfect enough to make french fries out of!

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I really want this movie to be successful so they can keep making Dune movies forever right up to the schlock of books 5+6.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Joke Miriam posted:

I really want this movie to be successful so they can keep making Dune movies forever right up to the schlock of books 5+6.

There's more than one book?

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Former DILF posted:

imagine drew carrey as baron harkonnen and stavros halkias as glossu rabban

edit: wait drew carry is thin now damnit

louie anderson as baron harkonnen

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

louie ck as baron harkonnen

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I'm sorry

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I like how Frank Herbert included a 1000 year old dragonghola a in 12 year old body scene in Chapterhouse, and every character is like, yo, this is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfZSEboVM4

dune reference at 2:37