Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I just finished going through that Dunford thread...never mind Vic, how could a blundering incompetent like Ty still have any sort of law career after all this? I don't necessarily mean looking down a barrel for a bar hearing (though who knows how his local Law Society will look on this) but this is going to be the first result for any potential client who does a search on him, even for a notorization and/or his usual line of legal work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Agent Escalus posted:

I just finished going through that Dunford thread...never mind Vic, how could a blundering incompetent like Ty still have any sort of law career after all this? I don't necessarily mean looking down a barrel for a bar hearing (though who knows how his local Law Society will look on this) but this is going to be the first result for any potential client who does a search on him, even for a notorization and/or his usual line of legal work.

I think they mostly do estate planning poo poo, so older people who are less likely to use Google. But it sounds like other people are taking over for the end of this colossal gently caress up, so his partners might be buying him out or something.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 11, 2019

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Presumably not going to be added while it's still going.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It won't be added until after the case is fully settled (and probably not until after appeals are over if those go through); If you look at the page edits, somebody tried adding it back in August but it got rejected for that reason.

On a separate note, while he doesn't touch on this lawsuit, John Oliver just did a piece on SLAPP lawsuits and urges the need for a Federal Anti-SLAPP law.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1194260547535015936

I didn't realize how hard that ISWV was still leaning on the jellybean thing. (Also your reminder Sabat doesn't actually run anything at Funimation.)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think they've seen Sabat get like...ADR Director and Voice Director credits for some things and just think "Director = IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING". They've proven to not exactly be the brightest, already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And even then, he's working as a director at Okratron 5000 under a contract to Funimation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's a lot simpler than that-Sabat early on said believe Monica, Jamie, etc so he's of course an SJW in on the conspiracy to get vic fired.

At this point they're honestly just trying to tar and feather Funimation and their VAs any way that they can, which is really hilarious and hypocritical given what they claim to believe about #cancel culture.

For example one of the grifters just recently posted a video claiming Funimation is scamming people because....wait for it...the free trial period you get for their monthly subscription service isn't a full month!!! So if you don't read the print while signing up, you could accidentally have to pay to use the service you signed up for one whole month :cry: Never mind that tons of companies like Netflix and Crunchyroll do the same thing!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The only scam Funimation are running is their nonfunctional PS4 app and other longrunning technical issues

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's been a slow trickle of filings, here's the latest:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1194373141985988621

quote:

1. Plaintiff asks the Honorable Court to for a protective order in regard to the Subpoena dated November 6, 2019 seeking to compel the attendance of Ty Beard, counsel of record for Plaintiff, at 10:30 am on November 21, 2019 on the grounds that the testimony sought is not relevant to any fact of consequence before the Court for determination at that time

2. Plaintiff asks the Court to enter a protective order directing that Ty Beard need not comply with Defendants’ Subpoena on the additional grounds that Plaintiff must be protected from the disclosure of privileged material and information

3. Ty Beard is Plaintiff’s attorney in this matter; Mr. Beard is not a fact witness to the issues before the court. Mr. Beard’s communications with Plaintiff are protected by work product and attorney-client privileges.
i was under the impression that you invoke these privileges per-question and some sort of judge made those determinations, unless they're trying to say anything to do with the case is protected and not specific communications with vic that didn't reach any third-party

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like the bit where he asked for september 21st off instead

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's been a slow trickle of filings, here's the latest:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1194373141985988621

i was under the impression that you invoke these privileges per-question and some sort of judge made those determinations, unless they're trying to say anything to do with the case is protected and not specific communications with vic that didn't reach any third-party

I think how it goes is it could be done per question, but in this case Beard is asserting the court should just rule out his testifying entirely since essentially anything relevant he could say is privileged, and having him asked questions that have to be individually swatted down would be a waste of time and cause other issues. I don't think that kind of block denial would be a very unusual thing for the court to do, in general, and the reasons in the thread make enough sense to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Namtab posted:

The only scam Funimation are running is their nonfunctional PS4 app and other longrunning technical issues

Generally works fine for me? :shrug:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Compared to Crunchy it’s super bad. It’s laggy and just not great to use. They also mistime the subtitles constantly. At least once every single anime I watch has mistimes, especially when multiple people are speaking. It’s worse than HIDIVE which is saying a lot because HIDIVE at least has proper subtitling, yet can’t seem to figure out when I want to add something to my queue, or remove it (it still thinks I have Release the Spyce in my queue despite me telling it to remove it multiple times now).

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

More like #FUNiYoBusiness!

You're welcome.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goongratulations

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1195485247397339137?s=19

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

That's missing the best tweet https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1195497363080712193?s=20

Edit: Can you imagine burning 1.25 million dollars to absolutely torch your own reputation??

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 16, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Double post but Beard team filed for a continuance and it sure is something

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1195508288500187136?s=20

"more time is needed to sufficient"

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 16, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

This whole thing is really depressing to watch in some ways. I'm not a lawyer (i'm barely sentient) and even I could do a better job than beard has.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm neither a lawyer nor a US citizen and I feel like I could do a better job.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error
Not being able to file a lawsuit in the first place would have been a better job.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm a tax accountant who probably should just get an EA at this point. I never planned to be involved so heavily in tax resolution, but I inherited 1,200+ clients from a retiring accountant last year and -- whooo boy -- this guy did not have the same quality standards as me. To be fair, though, he was getting old and probably worn down. Most of the clients said he was fine until two years ago. Regardless, all of them were getting tons of letters. I got intimately familiar with presenting arguments and collecting evidence to send to the IRS or NY State Department of Taxation & Finance. Yesterday, for my uncle, I sent a package containing a 400 page offer in compromise request. Sounds impressive, but it was mostly evidence.

Point is, I am not a lawyer. I work on over two hundred business accounts and get asked a lot of legal questions. I have to inform them I cannot advise on it. On Thursday, a very success pizzeria owner came to me to ask if he could be sued for what the previous owner did. He was unaware prior to a recent event how far lawyers could go back and was afraid he could be on the hook for something that guy did. It didn't sound like he did anything, but his sister got sued recently under those circumstances and it freaked him out. I told him I couldn't advise and to discuss with his lawyer, since I know he has one. I was willing to tell him it was possible depending on the nature of the sale and the contract, but as I'm not an expert nor have I ever seen the contract can I advise on such. Most of that meeting was calming him down and discussing how business had been this year. I didn't charge him, needless to say.

What I'm trying to say is that I have a lot of experience making arguments to tax bodies and winning said arguments...but I'm smart enough to not advise nor practice things in fields that I am neither legally allowed to operate in nor possess the requisite expertise to operate within. I know what I know. While I am planning to get a series 99 and perhaps move up to a series 7 and become a financial adviser, I bite my tongue when it comes to giving financial advise and recommend clients to the financial adviser because I'm not a dingus who wants to get in trouble by practicing in fields I'm not capable or should be practicing in. Should a lot of my clients -- especially the business owners -- consider investing more in their retirement? Absolutely! Business owners even have a nice selection of tax deferred retirement options like a solo 401k, SEP IRA, and the such which could allow them to accumulate large savings tax deferred. But I won't say that to them. I'll say they have options that they should discuss with an adviser and even recommend a good one I know. I'm not allowed to say what I'm thinking without a license and I'm not an expert.

Ty Beard is an estate lawyer. I know a few estate lawyers. My boss' son is an estate lawyer and is a great guy. Guess what? He only does trust, estates, and wills. We never ask him for anything else unless we are asking if he knows someone in his network to recommend. He never works outside of estates. I'm a tax accountant. While I plan to get some licenses to work as a financial adviser in the future, I focus solely on what I have expertise in. Ty Beard made his loving bed by stepping into a field he had no reason to be in and made an rear end of himself in the process. Not going to pretend I've never done this to some degree as many early professionals do this as a consequence of business, but I'm not some loving bigot who did it all to "fight the culture war" and grift Nazis.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Unfortunate typo at the end, but still a good post-there are so many.ethical violations involved with what occurred on the Plantiff's side, and I'm pessimistic that there will be any real severe consequences for those involved besides Vic having to foot the bill.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, you're going to want to reread your last sentence there, quick.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know he's been brought up in the thread before, but while the source for this episode is from a couple of years back, surprisingly good YouTuber LegalEagle has an episode on the SLAPP Lawsuit against John Oliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4fEqDZib0

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Julias posted:

Unfortunate typo at the end, but still a good post-there are so many.ethical violations involved with what occurred on the Plantiff's side, and I'm pessimistic that there will be any real severe consequences for those involved besides Vic having to foot the bill.

IUG posted:

Yeah, you're going to want to reread your last sentence there, quick.

Yeah that's a pretty bad typo. You know I'm always afraid I'm going to make that typo like that. Where I forget to put "not" or I put "not" when I'm not supposed to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MisterGingerKid/status/1195474159503118336

The reddit thread is interesting. The person who makes it only has a fan's interaction with Vic and that's the pretty standard surface Vic Experience and then you get to some of the comments and that's pretty much Vic.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
its been close to two decades of creepy vic stories, anyone who says the stories of him cropped up overnight have serious blinders on

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The two decades of creepy Vic stories can at least make a book.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And that's just as a voice actor in the 00's and 10's. Didn't he used to work as a youth pastor or teacher in a Christian High-School/Uni as well?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/SharonB89188965/status/1095393543894503432?s=19

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 17, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that's at the very least 33 years of being a scumbag.

Took the liberty of fixing the image tag. Hope you don't mind.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

S'all good. The thread she is replying to is so much worse too.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 17, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goddamn the pro-vic comments on that thread :magical:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The transcript from the hearing on 11-8 is up there's no fireworks and it doesn't sound like Lemoine is getting his sanctions

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Today, I finally saw a photo of Vic Mignogna. I didn't realize I hadn't seen a photo of him before now, but then I realized this whole time, my brain was sketching in John McAfee in his place.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hub Cat posted:

The transcript from the hearing on 11-8 is up there's no fireworks and it doesn't sound like Lemoine is getting his sanctions

I dunno, if the judge thinks punitive sanctions are in order, “sounds like that might deter somebody” could be read as backwards approval.

In general it’s not wise to read too much into judicial commentary before a ruling is issued. I’ve listened to a lot of Ken White talking about the personal foibles of judges on All the President’s Lawyers, and he’s said that many judges get quite nitpicky and argumentative with counsel for the side they’re going to rule in favor of. Especially when it’s going to be a very one-sided ruling. They do it out of some combination of enjoying giving lawyers a hard time, and making sure they have everything needed to make the ruling airtight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah like the whole point of ruling on this is to deter someone (vic) so reading that as vic wins is pretty lol