Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They never give you a reason why everything respawns, do they? (asking seriously as I haven't beaten the game) Even Demons/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne at least gave you a flimsy-rear end reason involving multiple dimensions and rekindled flames and dreams and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

just finished dathomir and i'm enjoying this, though i'm playing on jedi master despite sucking at souls-type combat, platformers, and controller-based gameplay in general so i've died a million times. some of those runbacks really suck rear end

all worth it to force push fools off cliffs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They never give you a reason why everything respawns, do they? (asking seriously as I haven't beaten the game) Even Demons/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne at least gave you a flimsy-rear end reason involving multiple dimensions and rekindled flames and dreams and stuff.

Infinite stormtroopers

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The chewbaccas all look like basketball players covered in brown silly string, which is unfortunate given the overall great graphic fidelity.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The chewbaccas all look like basketball players covered in brown silly string, which is unfortunate given the overall great graphic fidelity.
seeing that after hours of cal's hair or captain muttonchops was a disappointment

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

About to jump in on PS4. Any settings/controls or anything I should know about or mess with?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah the animations are not very good, and that Wookie model looked terrible. This very much feels like the B-Team pulling some pretty heavy weight.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

About to jump in on PS4. Any settings/controls or anything I should know about or mess with?
I'd say turn on performance mode and turn off data collection. seems to have helped with some peoples issues.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Where the hell is the area on the second planet where you can look up to see the Binog just staring at you through the holes? I found it on Friday and it has just eluded me since, despite checking out the next couple of planets. Is it only on your first time through?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Honestly just cannibalize and modify the chewbacca asset from battlefront 2 at that point? I remember it looking fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TheAgent posted:

I'd say turn on performance mode and turn off data collection. seems to have helped with some peoples issues.

dang, was hoping to go for quality but I imagine it gets hectic with the FPS so maybe performance is better

Thanks

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

dang, was hoping to go for quality but I imagine it gets hectic with the FPS so maybe performance is better

Thanks
I've been okay on a pro, but the standard ps4 might struggle in some areas

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Respawn's a good company though so if they make Fallen Order 2 it's probably gonna address the major issues now that they've actually shipped a product

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why are goons complaining about how this isn't a loving RPG? How did you go into this game expecting anything close KOTOR? What the actual gently caress?

I'm upset that Jedi: Fallen Order isn't a turn based tactical strategy game. Shoulda coulda woulda.

black.lion posted:

Yes but according to mah friend it's p late-ish in the game

I'm ok with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I don’t begrudge them trying to tell a new story with characters they develop, but Cal’s “back story” feels incredibly phoned in with the most unbelievable guilt saddled on.

Also I had a moment when after the first 2nd Sister fight she starts villainously monologuing at you about how Cere is a snitch and will betray you and I’m like “lady you are literally wearing a flowing black cloak, I’m not about to switch sides, you are so transparently the villain in every way”

Like I just wished we got a Star Wars story that didn’t have to almost by definition have to make sense to literal 8 year olds. The force should be more nuanced than this.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 18, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Why are goons complaining about how this isn't a loving RPG?

People wanna play a Star Wars RPG.

Not sure why this is upsetting to you. Kinda weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but there are like 10 Star Wars RPGs and only like 3 Single Player story games. Let us have one

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Like I just wished we got a Star Wars story that didn’t have to almost by definition have to make sense to literal 8 year olds. The force should be more nuanced than this.

They tried but it got smacked down by LucasArts when it got out of hand

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Bust Rodd posted:

I post spoilers and don't bracket them.

You should probably spoiler this, since...you know...it's a spoiler.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I don’t begrudge them trying to tell a new story with characters they develop, but Cal’s “back story” feels incredibly phoned in with the most unbelievable guilt saddled on.

Also I had a moment when after the first 2nd Sister fight she starts villainously monologuing at you about how Cere is a snitch and will betray you and I’m like “lady you are literally wearing a flowing black cloak, I’m not about to switch sides, you are so transparently the villain in every way”

I mean, honestly, I kinda dig the 2nd sister. She's just so devoted to her goth badgirl style, I have to admire it. :allears:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Instead of all this other ish can we instead be outraged that (late game spoilers) dual wield is an animation for a single attack instead of being a third style?!

I don't know who made that decision but it had best be rectified in the sequel or I'm going to... consider possibly not buying it at release

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

People wanna play a Star Wars RPG.

Not sure why this is upsetting to you. Kinda weird.

Cool, go play one?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely don’t feel like I’m a good guy holding up the Light Side of the Force by wading into these animals natural habitats and pushing them to extinction via dismemberment and throwing them off cliffs.

A bit of ludo-narrative dissonance if you will.

Really you should be able to charm animals or stealth through or something as a "light side" character.

Then again with how janky some of the stuff in the game is, stealth would probably be pretty painful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Cool, go play one?

I hope they make one so I can!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I can only play kotor and kotor2 so many times. Literally just having a gender option and hair/skin customizations would have been great.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i think having the random chests just be cosmetics works, at least in theory. If different saber emitters and handles had stat bonuses, then they would have to adjust the balance to compensate for the added power. At that point, theyre left with a tough choice; either balance the game around players mostly ignoring the random chests and thus risk thorough players sleepwalking through the latter half of the game, or balance the game around players having most, if not all, of the random chests, thus forcing players to backtrack if they ignored them. I know that when I played games that have hidden secrets that give stat bonuses, i go out of my way to make sure I get as many as I can, often to the detriment of my own enjoyment. I had a hard time getting through Doom 2016 because i would spend a ton of extra time per level making sure I had all the armor upgrades and unlocks before moving on to the next one. That really ruined the gameflow that I think they were going for, and I would have enjoyed the game a ton more if the secrets were just concept art or weapon skins or something like that.

Now, the fact that the cosmetics are really drat boring is what kinda sinks the system in this game. If they were a bit more exciting, i think ppl would be a lot less upset by it. It is nice, tho, that if im having a hard time trying to figure out how to get to a chest, I can safely ignore it without the stupid min-max part of my brain yelling at me for playing sub-optimally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s not a tough choice, it’s called Story Mode, they have already accounted for everyone who wants to just play the game without exerting any effort

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i think having the random chests just be cosmetics works, at least in theory. If different saber emitters and handles had stat bonuses, then they would have to adjust the balance to compensate for the added power. At that point, theyre left with a tough choice; either balance the game around players mostly ignoring the random chests and thus risk thorough players sleepwalking through the latter half of the game, or balance the game around players having most, if not all, of the random chests, thus forcing players to backtrack if they ignored them. I know that when I played games that have hidden secrets that give stat bonuses, i go out of my way to make sure I get as many as I can, often to the detriment of my own enjoyment. I had a hard time getting through Doom 2016 because i would spend a ton of extra time per level making sure I had all the armor upgrades and unlocks before moving on to the next one. That really ruined the gameflow that I think they were going for, and I would have enjoyed the game a ton more if the secrets were just concept art or weapon skins or something like that.

Now, the fact that the cosmetics are really drat boring is what kinda sinks the system in this game. If they were a bit more exciting, i think ppl would be a lot less upset by it. It is nice, tho, that if im having a hard time trying to figure out how to get to a chest, I can safely ignore it without the stupid min-max part of my brain yelling at me for playing sub-optimally.

It might've been cool to have different saber components change some aspect of combat but not be +5% damage or whatever. So you could choose to have a larger parry window at the cost of damage or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So like in the LORE the different crystals you use for your saber reflect your relationship with the force. Like Purple and Red reflect that you use the force to improve your physical discipline, Blue is about using the force to balance, green is about healing and growth, etc, so having the different colors modify your force powers would make more sense than modifying the saber combat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Don't you get red ones by torturing the crystal or something?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

So like in the LORE the different crystals you use for your saber reflect your relationship with the force. Like Purple and Red reflect that you use the force to improve your physical discipline, Blue is about using the force to balance, green is about healing and growth, etc, so having the different colors modify your force powers would make more sense than modifying the saber combat.

Huh?

Red means you're evil, other colors mean you're good, and purple means you're Samuel L. Jackson.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Well, I was thinking of changing the lens or emitter or whatever like in KOTOR/KOTOR 2 and leaving the crystal color as the cosmetic option but that works too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't you get red ones by torturing the crystal or something?

yeah. basicaly sith being sith are about bending the krystal to their will and basicaly torture it. so yes.

anyway. i beat it and i liked it alot overall. the plot is simplistic but the Gotham dude and Debra Wilson sell it pretty well. my big issue is the first and last 3rd of the game are intense and cool but the middle just kinda exists and alot of it feels like bad souls filler. much like TF2, when the game is semi on rails its loving cool and awesome and it feels like your in a star wars movie. when vader shows up, its appropriately "oh poo poo" run for it. i do also like that how loving stupidly awful the empire is in small ways.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 18, 2019

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

There are a million ponchos and they all suck. Give us some cool helmets or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dpulex posted:

There are a million ponchos and they all suck. Give us some cool helmets or something.

What I would love more than anything is for the cosmetic stuff to open up into crazier, less serious stuff. Like for MGSV wearing a full tuxedo and chicken hat into your most serious missions was one of the highlights of the game, just let me wear a Vader mask or a Disneyland hat here.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The previous attempt where you died was you meditating on the future as one possible outcome. The outcome where you succeed is always the "real" version of events with all those others being the shifting futures that Yoda warns Luke about in ESB.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fuzz posted:

The previous attempt where you died was you meditating on the future as one possible outcome. The outcome where you succeed is always the "real" version of events with all those others being the shifting futures that Yoda warns Luke about in ESB.

ya, dont know if that was explicitly stated in the game, but thats been my headcanon so far

no, dont think about why chests that u opened during your vision are already opened during the real version, just go with it padawan

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I encountered a game breaking bug. BD won't trigger a slice option on a terminal that I have to open in order to get out of a cage we are in. I quit to the title screen and reloaded and it is still there. I guess I can try restarting my PS4.

If that doesn't work, my only option is to restart the game from the very beginning. There is no log of saves to go back to. I like the game a lot but I am not sure if I want to restart.

This loving sucks

edit: thank god restarting my PS4 fixed it. Whew

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 18, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

blue squares posted:

I encountered a game breaking bug. BD won't trigger a slice option on a terminal that I have to open in order to get out of a cage we are in. I quit to the title screen and reloaded and it is still there. I guess I can try restarting my PS4.

If that doesn't work, my only option is to restart the game from the very beginning. There is no log of saves to go back to. I like the game a lot but I am not sure if I want to restart.

This loving sucks

Have you tried cleaning your PS4 with a can of compressed air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fuzz posted:

This actually owns. Nice work.