Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ryonguy posted:

Quick non-joke question: what happens to an insurance system structure when universal healthcare enters the mix? When you no longer have massive medical bills to worry about covering, does everything shift focus to purely being about property damage?

For a private person? Essentially yes.

Medical insurance does exists, but it's virtually only something companies offer as an added bonus to your pay check, providing their employee a way to bypass the public healthcare system and get through the faster private sector.

Basically, theoretically, making your sick employees get back on their feet faster.

Most private persons really don't use medical insurance directly, it something you get from your employer.

Most other insurance is about property, liability and cars (Car insurance is 100% mandatory).

Edit: This is all Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I have been wondering this for a while

How many thousands of people would become instantly unemployed from their jobs at health insurance companies? And not just some dickhead whose job is to deny old ladies their coverage, but mailroom clerks and accountants and secretaries and people whose job is just to do paperwork. If universal healthcare passes, that eliminates the purpose for a lot of the private companies, and will mean massive layoffs if not shuttering of companies, right? Sure, those people can get jobs in new places, but that's still a lot of people entering the job market all at once. Not a great situation, as far as I see
Good. Any job that relies on systemic murder is a job that should not exist.

If you eliminate the death penalty think about all the jobs involved in manufacturing lethal injection drugs that you lose, or executioners who have no other job experience.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

rotinaj posted:

How many thousands of people would become instantly unemployed from their jobs at health insurance companies? And not just some dickhead whose job is to deny old ladies their coverage, but mailroom clerks and accountants and secretaries and people whose job is just to do paperwork. If universal healthcare passes, that eliminates the purpose for a lot of the private companies, and will mean massive layoffs if not shuttering of companies, right? Sure, those people can get jobs in new places, but that's still a lot of people entering the job market all at once. Not a great situation, as far as I see
Kudos on discovering that healthcare reform is like a Trolley Problem.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

anyone who does actual work at a health insurer can work in any office anywhere, in any industry. anyone in management is rich enough that i dont give a poo poo

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

private insurers would significantly shrink, but the public/single-payer would grow since it's now serving many more people and needs to build capacity. e.g. for M4A, Medicare would be hiring.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
M4A as presented by Bernie includes a jobs program for re-training. It’s part of why they describe it as a revolution, because they understand what a monumental shift this would be. People will need to go back to school to change career paths, and we’ll also need more doctors, nurses, and dentists so they’ll have to tackle the higher education issue as well.

It’s all deeply enmeshed but it’s not impossible to change!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You would think conservatives would be all over the way reform would inevitably screw over a percentage of workers and patients. They love knowing there are winners and losers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
At least in Canada there's still private health insurance of some kind. I could also see high-end employer and rich-person-focused specialty health insurance.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beachcomber posted:

They're so expensive. :(

I've been talking about lawnmowers a lot to see if Alexa is listening to me without engaging it. We don't even have a yard.

These devices activate by accident all the time, so yes, it's always listening even without engaging. Just enable the activation sounds in the accessibility settings and check your voice history and you'll see what I mean.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"accident"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Any kind of widespread reform is going to see significant downsizing in the entire healthcare industry. There are as many people who handle doctor billing as there are doctors. Move to single payer and those jobs are gone.

Healthcare in the US is like 1/5th of our GDP. If we managed to somehow not spend twice as much as every other country, you’re looking at widespread layoffs all across that industry.

The good would outweigh the bad. No matter how much taxes increase, it’s still probably less than individuals and corporations now pay for healthcare. That money will get spent elsewhere. Also the part where everyone gets healthcare.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Where will the new jobs be?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Anything else, because less money being sunken into healthcare means people (and companies) have more disposable income - in essence, a huge stimulus for the whole economy. And, apparently, most of the rest of the world has already cracked this though nut!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AstroWhale posted:

https://careers.wework.com/

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

ryonguy posted:

Quick non-joke question: what happens to an insurance system structure when universal healthcare enters the mix? When you no longer have massive medical bills to worry about covering, does everything shift focus to purely being about property damage?

I've been seeing this as a debate point against M4A (as if 'jobs' are a reason to keep up the systemic murder of people who don't have enough money for treatments). My thought is always yes the jobs will go away, but who gives a poo poo? Another large portion of our economy is military/defense contractor related poo poo. How many jobs would be lost if we had a sane government that wasn't at war all the time? Who the gently caress cares! I'd much rather not be in a perpetual war with brown people.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But but the job creators!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress everyone who works for an insurance company.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rotinaj posted:

I have been wondering this for a while

But if they arrested the man shooting all the windows in the neighborhood, how would the window installers make their living? To say nothing of the workers at the window factory, the delivery drivers, and the most important ones of all, the sales reps

mind the walrus posted:

You would think conservatives would be all over the way reform would inevitably screw over a percentage of workers and patients. They love knowing there are winners and losers.

This keeps serfs from being tied to the land, and it implies that perhaps being poor isn't a moral choice with poor quality of life as their good and just punishment.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Nov 18, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

OMGVBFLOL posted:

anyone who does actual work at a health insurer can work in any office anywhere, in any industry.

I’ve done a lot of contracting work with a lot of insurers so I’m actually going to disagree, here. There are people I’ve worked with where you had to wonder if they had a handler making sure they put pants on before leaving the house.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

I’ve done a lot of contracting work with a lot of insurers so I’m actually going to disagree, here. There are people I’ve worked with where you had to wonder if they had a handler making sure they put pants on before leaving the house.

Call center golems, slaves made of clay. Created for work that revolves more around navigating broken systems and office politics than solving problems. Clueless, scapegoat managers in charge of meaningless metrics, driven into mindless petty rage by the sheer impossiblility of it all. Workers with no clear direction destined to fail, hard and repeatedly, meeting goals that float around like a Leningrader in a dystrophy ward with the windows left open. When, "How can I help you today?", becomes a plaintive cry for release from endless drop-down menus, broken elevators, spoiled cafeteria food, and last Thursday's bedbug infestation followed by CO2 poisoning during the eradication attempt.

That deer in the headlights look when presented with a problem outside their list of answers? It's that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

food court bailiff posted:

madeintaipei posted:

Call center golems, slaves made of clay. Created for work that revolves more around navigating broken systems and office politics than solving problems. Clueless, scapegoat managers in charge of meaningless metrics, driven into mindless petty rage by the sheer impossiblility of it all. Workers with no clear direction destined to fail, hard and repeatedly, meeting goals that float around like a Leningrader in a dystrophy ward with the windows left open. When, "How can I help you today?", becomes a plaintive cry for release from endless drop-down menus, broken elevators, spoiled cafeteria food, and last Thursday's bedbug infestation followed by CO2 poisoning during the eradication attempt.

That deer in the headlights look when presented with a problem outside their list of answers? It's that.

I worked at a place for a little more than a year that was basically the call center model applied to engineering. Anyone with a spark of intelligence jumped ship as fast as possible. That left only the blithering idiots who think they're very smart, and olds waiting it out for retirement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In end stage capitalism, eventually every product and service becomes a defective, malicious imitation of its original form.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

turn on you are monitor

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1196223896212660224

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1196427867837681664

:thermidor:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
He fleeced speculators, so good on Adam Neumann.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I'm kind-of torn. The speculators deserved to get hosed but no one--least of all a con man--deserves a $1 bil. payout.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ahem. I am here to announce this week's Chick-fil-a derail
https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2019/11/18/chick-fil-says-they-will-stop-donating-anti-lgbtq-organizations

The Advocate posted:

Chick-fil-A has pledged to finally stop funding anti-LGBTQ organizations after years of protests against the brand.

The popular fast-food chain's foundation has donated millions of dollars to groups such as Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army. Both organizations have long histories of being anti-LGBTQ and will now allegedly no longer receive money from the company.

“We made multi-year commitments to both organizations and we fulfilled those obligations in 2018,” a Chick-fil-A spokeswoman said on Monday, according to CNBC. The company says it will now be focusing on three pillars of giving that focus on education, homelessness, and hunger.

I guess you can eat there again but honestly the Popeyes one is better. The lines fuckin suck but it'll chill out eventually. Be cautious though. They said the same thing in 2012

Croatoan has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Nov 18, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

They still talk poo poo about homosexuality both on their job applications and their websites, they still believe and fully endorse terrible philosophies.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

rotinaj posted:

This is the exact argument we will receive from Conservatives regarding a revolutionary switch to socialized healthcare.

The answer is - it doesn't matter as trickle-down economics does not work and it's more valuable to have a healthier population that can engage in more meaningful activities and careers. Did I get that right?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On the same note, a healther economy is based around a populace with surplus income and time. So much income, time, and productivity is reduced due to healthcare problems; from people going into work sick because of a lack of time off, unemployed from chronic issues, and working double or triple shifts to afford expensive medication.

Even the opioid crisis is due to so many Americans being unable to afford proper care, taking opiates to overcome/cope with debilitating health issues.

Reducing meaningless and time/income sinks like private healthcare will create more economic opportunities; as having Americans being able to spend excess cash on luxuries will stimulate the economy.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Croatoan posted:

Ahem. I am here to announce this week's Chick-fil-a derail
https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2019/11/18/chick-fil-says-they-will-stop-donating-anti-lgbtq-organizations

I guess you can eat there again but honestly the Popeyes one is better. The lines fuckin suck but it'll chill out eventually. Be cautious though. They said the same thing in 2012

Apparently they're just shifting towards donating to their own foundation, which then donates on cfa's behalf to the same places. Sooooooo

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Apparently they're just shifting towards donating to their own foundation, which then donates on cfa's behalf to the same places. Sooooooo

Do you have a link on that? I know I'm going to have more than one friend excited that they can eat Chick-fil-A now, and I'd want something more substantial than "some dude on a dead gay forum" as a source when I tell them about this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Do you have a link on that? I know I'm going to have more than one friend excited that they can eat Chick-fil-A now, and I'd want something more substantial than "some dude on a dead gay forum" as a source when I tell them about this.

Sadly, they will now be donating to some organization called The "Dead Gay" Forum

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Who would have thought. Lowtax’s spine saved by chicken sandwiches.

As part of the deal SA is now closed on Sundays.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Who would have thought. Lowtax’s spine saved by chicken sandwiches.

As part of the deal SA is now closed on Sundays.

I won't be satisfied until SA is closed every day of the week!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
SA renamed to S-Fil-A

poo poo posting drops by 15% but sandwich related shitposts rise precipitously

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't believe those people for a second, they did this once before and are just doing something again because they got caught

Only time I ever ate at one was in college 15 years ago and I got extremely sick. Never made that mistake again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Any kind of widespread reform is going to see significant downsizing in the entire healthcare industry. There are as many people who handle doctor billing as there are doctors. Move to single payer and those jobs are gone.

Healthcare in the US is like 1/5th of our GDP. If we managed to somehow not spend twice as much as every other country, you’re looking at widespread layoffs all across that industry.

The good would outweigh the bad. No matter how much taxes increase, it’s still probably less than individuals and corporations now pay for healthcare. That money will get spent elsewhere. Also the part where everyone gets healthcare.

AstroWhale posted:

I honestly have difficulty believing people are as stupid as you too even on SA. Like really.

This is the same crab bucket argument used against higher wages, reducing military spending, banning drugs from marketing to children, or literally any other improvement ever made. If we allow lightbulbs where will the candle makers work?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

I honestly have difficulty believing people are as stupid as you too even on SA. Like really.

This is the same crab bucket argument used against higher wages, reducing military spending, banning drugs from marketing to children, or literally any other improvement ever made. If we allow lightbulbs where will the candle makers work?

Sounds too hard, what of we add another layer of office workers dedicated to loving over customers instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Curious what part u disagree with, the part where massive layoffs are an inevitable result of m4a, or the part where its still worth doing despite this