Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Duckula posted:

What are the chances that the Tories loving rig this election if it looks bad for them? Given everything else they've done it doesn't seem implausable.

was it amber rudd or some other idiot who they just recounted until they could fabricate enough votes to swing the seat to her?

Bardeh posted:

Labour's campaign: lots of aspirational policies that will demonstrably make millions of people's lives better. Clear, hopeful messaging that explains policies and says exactly how they will be implemented and paid for.

Tory campaign: literally just 'get Brexit done', attacks on Corbyn, and vague waffle about lowering taxes

this is a great strategy given that hes already failed to deliver brexit and is loving over the brexit party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

was it amber rudd or some other idiot who they just recounted until they could fabricate enough votes to swing the seat to her?

That was indeed Recount Rudd who kept going until her opponent said "gently caress it, you've lost your majority anyway" and gave up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eararaldor posted:

Welp, channel 4 just did the Political slot with a Conservative TV advert.

Had Dominic Cummings all over it. Borris walking around talking about Marmite and other poo poo (oh a minority!! Look I’m friends with him!!)

My wife stoped paying attention when he made a cup of tea and left the teabag in, without stirring. After that she got into a right rage about his Tea. Mission accomplished Conservatives!

As a relatively recent convert to tea drinking why on earth do people care so much about how other people make a cup of tea? Unless I'm making it for you it doesn't seem to matter.

Just for your wife, know that this cuppa Earl Grey has been sat next to me with the teabag in it for 20 minutes unstirred.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bardeh posted:

Labour's campaign: lots of aspirational policies that will demonstrably make millions of people's lives better. Clear, hopeful messaging that explains policies and says exactly how they will be implemented and paid for.

Tory campaign: literally just 'get Brexit done', attacks on Corbyn, and vague waffle about lowering taxe

Brexit stage left, Boris.

:unsmigghh:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Just for your wife, know that this cuppa Earl Grey has been sat next to me with the teabag in it for 20 minutes unstirred.

m...mods?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

hey nice I tweeted this and they retweeted me

jewish worker is a good follow

also uspol but if you're curious at reading good articles about being a jew from a left perspective in the US jewish currents is good https://twitter.com/JewishCurrents

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 18, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this isnt a new thing at all, it goes back to the british state's treatment of "public interest", specifically anything that would be in the publics interest to know is "not in the public interest" for them to know
we're not and never have been a democracy and we don't want the commoners to get riled up, so we have a culture of being intentionally secretive and not upsetting the population

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The Tories dont need to do vote fraud to rig the election. They've already got a wealth of media, public and private institutions putting their thumbs on the scale for them.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Tesseraction posted:

That was indeed Recount Rudd who kept going until her opponent said "gently caress it, you've lost your majority anyway" and gave up.

I've tried to look this up (half heartedly) since reading it in this thread and not found anything particularly clear on it. Was it only obvious in the election coverage at the time? Most accounts I found only mention one recount.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The Tory running for my bit has been suspended for holocaust denial and god only knows what other rotten poo poo.

You loving love to see it.

https://twitter.com/RyanJHoughton/status/1196549251758788609?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1196544630214541318?s=20

After the Ross Thomson business the Tories are a loving laughing stock here. Now even more so.

Been having a terrible time mental health wise recently and this has given me life.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i can't wait until one of us nerds runs for public office and some newspaper finds our forums posts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bardeh posted:

m...mods?

It's very yummy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

i can't wait until one of us nerds runs for public office and some newspaper finds our forums posts

i'll never stand for office but i stand by every dta and dti and dtsa post i've ever made and i don't mean death to something awful

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

jewish worker is a good follow

also uspol but if you're curious at reading good articles about being a jew from a left perspective in the US jewish currents is good https://twitter.com/JewishCurrents

yeah I've been following them since their earlier days

one of the "positives" of the Labour anti-Semitism poo poo is finding all the Jewish comrades to learn about Jewish perspectives without the Israelebensraum shite

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

As a relatively recent convert to tea drinking why on earth do people care so much about how other people make a cup of tea? Unless I'm making it for you it doesn't seem to matter.

It's one of our Great British Cultural Whinges, and believe me our culture is very much built on whingeing. We like to have a good old moan about the same things all of the time. It's how we do camaraderie.

My mother really hates the fact that I eat lasagne with a spoon. When I was a kid, I noticed that forks were really poo poo for picking up bits of lasagna. You don't get the sauce, some of the mince meat falls through the gaps, and the pasta sort of flops around and falls off sometimes. So I went gently caress it and started using spoons instead. This horrified my mother because it is not the Done Thing, and 20 years later it appears that this is a hill she will die on :D

A more universal whinge is the one about the font Comic Sans. Everyone automatically says lol it sucks without a thought, but it's actually quite a useful font for dyslexic people. Font nerds hate Comic Sans because it breaks all of the rules on aesthetics, but that is precisely why it's easier for dyslexic people to read. The individual letters stand out from each other better. So the arbitrary rules are actually counterproductive in a specific use case scenario. Who'd a thunk it? ;)

To anyone reading this who gets angry about tea and fonts, I say all this with love :D

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

yeah I've been following them since their earlier days

one of the "positives" of the Labour anti-Semitism poo poo is finding all the Jewish comrades to learn about Jewish perspectives without the Israelebensraum shite

its going to be incredible to watch the cognitive dissonance of the US media trying to smash bernie for being antisemitic despite him being jewish when he's the actual candidate

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If someone wants to drink teabagged milk then full power to them but to me it's as strong as sticking the bag in my mouth and treating it like a gobstopper. Literal gagging time. Some people like it but I just cannot do it.

Again though, I'm lactose intolerant so maybe the drip of milk I use would be fine teabagged.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

its going to be incredible to watch the cognitive dissonance of the US media trying to smash bernie for being antisemitic despite him being jewish when he's the actual candidate

Ben Shortiro has already claimed that he's not Really Jewish. Standard stuff that Jewdas got for being human beings about human rights.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i still can't believe this was immediately ignored

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1097888710492897280?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Angepain posted:

is that not literally what happened with jared o'mara but with our weird mirror dimension forum

forkboy84 posted:

Reported

Jose posted:

i still can't believe this was immediately ignored

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1097888710492897280?s=20

It pisses me off but I can absolutely believe it. Things like this just demonstrate that they don't give a gently caress about antisemitism except where they can use it as a stick to beat Corbyn/Labour with.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

His membership lapsed due to not meeting his quota of bagel related tweets

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Duckula posted:

The Tory running for my bit has been suspended for holocaust denial and god only knows what other rotten poo poo.

You loving love to see it.

https://twitter.com/RyanJHoughton/status/1196549251758788609?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1196544630214541318?s=20

After the Ross Thomson business the Tories are a loving laughing stock here. Now even more so.

Been having a terrible time mental health wise recently and this has given me life.

It's fun because their leader also has a well documented history of homophobia and racism and Islamophobia and yet he still gets to be PM and stand for election.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

loving hell :stare:

Boots didn't sell clove oil so I've had to settle for Orajel. Not sure it's helping or not but oh well.

drat, it's on their website. Glad you got an appointment though.

Bardeh posted:

Tory campaign: literally just 'get Brexit done', attacks on Corbyn, and vague waffle about lowering taxes

I still think the Tories have got the mood of the country exactly right, which is why they're running the exact wrong campaign.

People are sick of hearing about Brexit. That doesn't mean they want an election campaign all about 'getting it done', it means they want politicians to shut the gently caress up about it and talk about something else.

EDIT: lol he's written another letter to try and drag the agenda back onto Brexit.
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1196561879822479369

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

drat, it's on their website. Glad you got an appointment though.

I've actually had this issue before too, their store stocks are often way less comprehensive than what's on the website, particularly if it's a smaller local place. Even better, you might be able to get any prescriptions through boots but if you need something they don't officially stock as a company and you don't have a prescription you're poo poo out of luck - as happened to me when I needed a new blood glucose monitor to replace a broken one. All my prescriptions have the test strips compatible with this one model, but the meter itself isn't stocked by boots and isn't technically prescribed (for whatever reason) so gently caress you I guess. Ended up getting a replacement from ebay of all places.

I do sometimes wonder why pharmacies weren't nationalised along with the rest of the health service. Seems an obvious move that would cut a lot of confusion.

I'd be interested in an effortpost about NHS provisioning/distribution if anyone has the knowledge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

EDIT: lol he's written another letter to try and drag the agenda back onto Brexit.
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1196561879822479369

Point 4 is him literally bragging about having no internal party democracy and calling Corbyn weak for not being Stalin. Amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

A more universal whinge is the one about the font Comic Sans. Everyone automatically says lol it sucks without a thought, but it's actually quite a useful font for dyslexic people. Font nerds hate Comic Sans because it breaks all of the rules on aesthetics, but that is precisely why it's easier for dyslexic people to read. The individual letters stand out from each other better. So the arbitrary rules are actually counterproductive in a specific use case scenario. Who'd a thunk it? ;)
I thought that was proven not to be true, in that it only helps dyslexic people in the same way that strapping a plough to the back of every F1 vehicle would help tractors compete, it slows everyone down.

Tekton is more likely the one you want for actually helping people with dyslexia, because of the long clear ascenders and descenders and the little dots providing unobtrusive signal points while not looking like rear end poo poo for clowns.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Very kind of Boris to give Jezza advance notice of some of the key attack lines he will need to defend against tomorrow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very nice of him to literally have to suspend a candidate for holocaust denial the day before too.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Point 4 is him literally bragging about having no internal party democracy and calling Corbyn weak for not being Stalin. Amazing.

Giving away the points he's planning on making in tomorrow's debate seems like... a bad thing?

Especially point 4, all Corbyn has to do is say he's not big on making people pledge allegiance to him or purging unbelievers, maybe reference his own rebellion against Blair, and he looks like a boss.

Anyway, this is quite funny. Telling that they've got loads of footage of Boris waffling like a madman but their only funny clip of Corbyn was him making an actual joke.
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1196551923085828099

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1196399323644334081

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1196543640254001152?s=19

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wonder sometimes, what's in it for all these journalists and those connected to continue outright lying about Boris Johnson for the sake of another tory government? Surely some must have some kind of dignity to actually report something like the truth rather than just what editors say? I've worked for some dubious companies but I've always tried to do the right thing, even if that means phone calls out of hours telling someone what they actually need to do to do x and then circumnavigating the panopticon of my managers. I can understand the pressure involved to a certain extent, but do these hundreds of people who got into journalism for some (potentially) ideological reason just not give a gently caress anymore or are they that thick they'll just choke on whatever swill poured into their maws and repeat it at the earliest opportunity?

I feel similar about anyone involved in any position of power; there must have been some kernel of wanting to do the right thing and it just being stamped out - though there must be moments, like this, where there is the chance for something better, and instead it just accelerates the bollocks rather than being an alarm. Fuckwits.

Looking forward to the debate tomorrow anyway. Big bag of crisps.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

I wonder sometimes, what's in it for all these journalists and those connected to continue outright lying about Boris Johnson for the sake of another tory government? Surely some must have some kind of dignity to actually report something like the truth rather than just what editors say? I've worked for some dubious companies but I've always tried to do the right thing, even if that means phone calls out of hours telling someone what they actually need to do to do x and then circumnavigating the panopticon of my managers. I can understand the pressure involved to a certain extent, but do these hundreds of people who got into journalism for some (potentially) ideological reason just not give a gently caress anymore or are they that thick they'll just choke on whatever swill poured into their maws and repeat it at the earliest opportunity?

I feel similar about anyone involved in any position of power; there must have been some kernel of wanting to do the right thing and it just being stamped out - though there must be moments, like this, where there is the chance for something better, and instead it just accelerates the bollocks rather than being an alarm. Fuckwits.

Looking forward to the debate tomorrow anyway. Big bag of crisps.

It's very simple. If Corbyn wins then it's undeniable proof that these fuckers have been wrong all along, and they definitely can't accept that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Please I'm begging you stop posting pictures of Lembit :negative:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that was proven not to be true, in that it only helps dyslexic people in the same way that strapping a plough to the back of every F1 vehicle would help tractors compete, it slows everyone down.

Tekton is more likely the one you want for actually helping people with dyslexia, because of the long clear ascenders and descenders and the little dots providing unobtrusive signal points while not looking like rear end poo poo for clowns.

I would be interested to see anything written about proving that one way or another :)

I'm basing this on hearing from a professor who worked with a dyslexic student of theirs to find the best way to present their projector slides for the student. They found that Comic Sans in grey on a post-it note yellow background was the easiest for the student to read. Non-dyslexic students also found that they could easily read the slides in reverse, which is interesting.

I am aware of Tekton, and there are other specialised fonts for dyslexic people as well. They would presumably be more appropriate than Comic Sans due to being specifically designed for the job. I was just having a go at the interminable whingeing about Comic Sans ;)

I wasn't suggesting that we adopt it for everything. That would be, as you say, rear end poo poo for clowns :D

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

Anyway, this is quite funny. Telling that they've got loads of footage of Boris waffling like a madman but their only funny clip of Corbyn was him making an actual joke.
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1196551923085828099

tbf to Sam Coates you can tell from following his reporting that he loving hates Boris Johnson and a lot of the Tories

like it's really funny how many Tory-leaning journalists have come to HATE those cunts in the past year or so

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

I would be interested to see anything written about proving that one way or another :)

I'm basing this on hearing from a professor who worked with a dyslexic student of theirs to find the best way to present their projector slides for the student. They found that Comic Sans in grey on a post-it note yellow background was the easiest for the student to read. Non-dyslexic students also found that they could easily read the slides in reverse, which is interesting.

I am aware of Tekton, and there are other specialised fonts for dyslexic people as well. They would presumably be more appropriate than Comic Sans due to being specifically designed for the job. I was just having a go at the interminable whingeing about Comic Sans ;)

I wasn't suggesting that we adopt it for everything. That would be, as you say, rear end poo poo for clowns :D
Here's one pulling from multiple researchers suggesting that Comic Sans has minimal effect. Interestingly they say that slowing everyone down can help all learners memorize things, but suggest italics for that more than bad fonts, but overall that out of all the effects letter shape (like Comic Sans and Dyslexie) has minimal effect, but strong ascenders and descenders (like Tekton) and most importantly letter spacing (like Courier and other monotype fonts) does more to make things easier to read for everyone, including people with dyslexia.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Please I'm begging you stop posting pictures of Lembit :negative:

NeItHeR lEfT nOr RiGhT bUt ThE cEnTrE

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Tesseraction posted:

tbf to Sam Coates you can tell from following his reporting that he loving hates Boris Johnson and a lot of the Tories

like it's really funny how many Tory-leaning journalists have come to HATE those cunts in the past year or so

Yeah his tweets used to be posted pretty often in here and I wondered how/why he was working for the Times, then one day @SamCoatesTimes became @SamCoatesSky and it turned out either he or his employers wondered the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

justcola posted:

I wonder sometimes, what's in it for all these journalists and those connected to continue outright lying about Boris Johnson for the sake of another tory government? Surely some must have some kind of dignity to actually report something like the truth rather than just what editors say?

we refer you to the reply given in the case of Marr v Chomsky

they actually believe it. Anyone capable of being a journalist isn't getting an interview at a billionaire rag, everyone of value at the bbc resigned when cameron put a banker in charge, and even owen jones was a damascene conversion after a few months of hating jeremy corbyn because everyone he knew hated jeremy corbyn. what's left are the loving dregs who couldn't get into oxbridge despite their class privelege

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 19, 2019