Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I had no idea what these were, and am now educated. It's might be the best possible thing for this thread.

For bonus, the Otamatone pro has a headphone out jack you can route to effects pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have an old Hondo strat copy that started to defret itself so I finished the job and filled in the slots.
It has a humbucker wired straight to the output jack. Future plans have always been to install a sustainer type pickup but for now an ebow works.

I have an ongoing baritone flying V project that's got a 5 piece neck I built. I haven't been happy with the finish on it so it's sitting in a pile of parts.

Also have another parts banjo that may get a mesh head and pickup installed in it it may also get a 5150 EVH style paint job on the rim.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My Otamatone looks like Kirby

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JesustheDarkLord posted:

My Otamatone looks like Kirby

Where did you get a Kirby Otamatone?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not a musician and generally just lurk this thread, but I impulse-bought a tiny kalimba a while back and keep telling myself I'm going to learn to play it.

Also, two of those wooden frogs you stroke with a mallet to make frog noises, in different sizes

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Antivehicular posted:

Also, two of those wooden frogs you stroke with a mallet to make frog noises, in different sizes

I've got one of those. I never play it, I just bought it because it was extremely cute.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

I've got one of those. I never play it, I just bought it because it was extremely cute.

Yeah, mine are bookshelf decorations more than anything, although it occurs to me that they could be excellent cat-confusers.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

Where did you get a Kirby Otamatone?

My brother-in-law bought it in Japan. It doesn't make Kirby sounds, unfortunately.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I've got some oddballs(Harmony SG), but this is the only one I really call weird. Posted before in this thread.

The Guit-Banj-O-Lin, built by a bluegrass/gospel performer named Rex Parker back in the late 50s. Questionable fret placement on the guitar neck past the 12th fret, and it's uncomfortable and unpleasant but playable. The banjo and mandolin necks are pretty much unplayable, mostly due to the sky-high action on both.

DeArmond pickups on the banjo and mandolin parts, and a non-adjustable pole piece P90 from a pre-1950 Gibson ES125.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

widefault posted:

I've got some oddballs(Harmony SG), but this is the only one I really call weird. Posted before in this thread.

The Guit-Banj-O-Lin, built by a bluegrass/gospel performer named Rex Parker back in the late 50s. Questionable fret placement on the guitar neck past the 12th fret, and it's uncomfortable and unpleasant but playable. The banjo and mandolin necks are pretty much unplayable, mostly due to the sky-high action on both.

DeArmond pickups on the banjo and mandolin parts, and a non-adjustable pole piece P90 from a pre-1950 Gibson ES125.

That also looks like instantaneous back strain.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

widefault posted:

loving awesome

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Other than that it's six guitars that are all the bargain version of their respective brands.

Nice.

I'm catching up with you.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

JesustheDarkLord posted:

My brother-in-law bought it in Japan. It doesn't make Kirby sounds, unfortunately.

Amazon apparently has them: https://www.amazon.com/Otamatone-Character-Electronic-Instrument-Synthesizer/dp/B07C9R5ST8

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
My guitars are left-handed were made backwards for some reason :iiam:
The only weird thing about them is that one isn't black.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I am not a fan of black guitars. You're going on to a raised platform to perform songs where people are hopefully looking in your general direction and lights shining on you, then you choose a guitar that blends in with the background? I also feel the same way about sunburst guitars that fade to black on the edges and basically obscure the shape of the instrument. I feel like I've said it before, but if I'm going through all this trouble to be obnoxious to the ears, I might as well also be obnoxious to the eyes.

I also do have a weird dream of buying this guitar and this bass and bolting them together into a doubleneck.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

widefault posted:

Fantastically horrible. LMAO those guitar frets seem to get farther apart past 15.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rifter17 posted:

I am not a fan of black guitars. You're going on to a raised platform to perform songs where people are hopefully looking in your general direction and lights shining on you, then you choose a guitar that blends in with the background?

This doesn't happen when you're playing stadiums.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Most of my gear is pretty normal, but I was gifted a Titano accordion which I have no idea how to use and would probably need some tlc to be playable. I also own a Electra Phoenix x195 guitar in blueburst. It has some weird electronics with a SHS pickup configuration. It looks ugly and unassuming but it’s a rock solid badass guitar. It’s my favorite. I replaced the bridge with a GFS vintage strat bridge since the original developed a crack and it’s probably better than the original.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:hfive:Fellow awesome old accordion but no idea how to play it buddy.

It probably needs a going through as it smells like an old basement when you play it.
I've noodled around on it a bit but haven't gotten into learning it for real.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

:hfive:Fellow awesome old accordion but no idea how to play it buddy.

It probably needs a going through as it smells like an old basement when you play it.
I've noodled around on it a bit but haven't gotten into learning it for real.

I loving love that glittercoat. I absolutely need a guitar with big-flake sparkle at some point.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I love that creamsicle accordion.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

I loving love that glittercoat. I absolutely need a guitar with big-flake sparkle at some point.

Luckily Fender has you covered.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
what in god's name is going on with those pickups

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rickiep00h posted:

Luckily Fender has you covered.

what

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
John Jorgenson Hellecaster Strat from the late 90s if I remember correctly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It looks like what would happen if you swabbed David Lee Roth's dicktip then wiped that on a petri dish

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It doesn't show in that picture very well but the white is all pearliod too except the keys.
The orange glitter is solid all the way through not just paint.

The other Hellecaster signature models were pretty whack too.

1997 Fender Limited Edition Will Ray Hellecaster Jazz-A-Caster Custom Shop Japan https://reverb.com/item/649431-1997...tm_medium=share

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 20, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

widefault posted:

John Jorgenson Hellecaster Strat

his name is my name too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Spanish Manlove posted:

It looks like what would happen if you swabbed David Lee Roth's dicktip then wiped that on a petri dish

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thumposaurus posted:

The other Hellecaster signature models were pretty whack too.

1997 Fender Limited Edition Will Ray Hellecaster Jazz-A-Caster Custom Shop Japan https://reverb.com/item/649431-1997...tm_medium=share

The very first issue of Guitar World I ever bought had a review of them and it warped my perception of electric guitars for years.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Antivehicular posted:

his name is my name too

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

his name is my name too

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Antivehicular posted:

his name is my name too

lol

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'd be totally down for that if each pickup had its own on-off switch. Turning on the neck pickup for the top three strings and bridge for the bottom three sounds like it could be fun.

The paint job looks like the Los Straitjackets DiPinto Galaxie IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCOPaAcVlvA

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

what in god's name is going on with those pickups

split single coils like the z-coil leo fender came up with at g&l

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Antivehicular posted:

his name is my name too

:golfclap:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got my Kirby Otamatone, lord send help.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

split single coils like the z-coil leo fender came up with at g&l
They came on the Electric XII first though (or comedy option Maverick/Custom).

They look real weird slanted though.

donut fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 22, 2019

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Headstocks should NOT indicate erectile dysfunction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I figure they were a way to get the Tele-style split coils into a Strat body, considering the Jorgenson's genre. Especially considering that the electronics are wired in such a way that you can have the bridge and neck on at the same time, the same way a Tele middle position is.