Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I wanted to start with mag but after reading up some beginner guides i went for Excal and i'm glad i did. When i eventually got mag she felt way trickier to use - needing more energy, mods, (projectile) weapon synergy - with her most useful early game feature being the overshielding survivability. Meanwhile excal has AoE damage, AoE blind, and one of the most ridiculous early game easy to build and use damage skills with insane punch-through only constrained by energy limits.

Even now with a 4 forma exergis and completed mod library with maxed primeds Mag doesn't feel that satisfying for me, considering the investment. Her deluxe skin is excellent at least.

Yeah, there was some stuff that I was able to cheese relatively easily with Excalibur due to Exalted Blade. It's fun to just shred everything remotely nearby with it. Even after max-ranking Mag, I feel like I would need to put more effort into a build to make her good.

Exalted weapons seem like they're generally kind of useful for early game since they're basically like having a skill that is "equip a good weapon."

Sandweed posted:

That also means you can have two

Ah, mods like that stack? Does that mean the player's +enemy range and Animal Instinct stack?

(I guess it kinda makes sense for them to, since all other stats do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They do, with Khora, you can fit that mod on both her cats (because you are taking another cat along, aren't you?) and get a massive radar range.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If you stack enough radar range, you can even see icons far outside of the actual minimap

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

They do, with Khora, you can fit that mod on both her cats (because you are taking another cat along, aren't you?) and get a massive radar range.

How good is Khora generally?

Vaguely speaking of Khora, is Sanctuary Onslaught (or it's Elite version if you can do that) the main way people rank things up? I know someone mentioned using it to get focus (though I only got like 10-15k total from doing 8 rounds - does ESO give a lot more than SO or something?).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Khora is a defensive/utility frame with an insanely high damage output. You're not very tanky but you don't need to be.

ESO is much higher level, and therefore more xp than NSO. It also has some weird rules on ability usage that nerfs frames that depend on their 4s. So in terms of difficulty, it's ESO > NSO > Hydron. I'll use Hydron for levelling trash weapons (because hopefully a pub can carry us), but I'll sometimes run NSO to level weapons that have a potato plus a few polarities on it already, because that should have enough output to not make levelling interminable.

You don't need to spoiler that word, the game is so full of weird resources that a newer player will just gloss over it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ytlaya posted:

How good is Khora generally?

Vaguely speaking of Khora, is Sanctuary Onslaught (or it's Elite version if you can do that) the main way people rank things up? I know someone mentioned using it to get focus (though I only got like 10-15k total from doing 8 rounds - does ESO give a lot more than SO or something?).

Khora is bonkers powerful. Just outrageously easy to murder everything. And she just got an indirect buff thanks to the SacSteel buff.

ESO is the best way to rank up non-frames, SO is the best way to rank up frames (arch-gear need not apply). The best way to get spoiler junk is tridolon runs.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Phobophilia posted:

Khora is a defensive/utility frame with an insanely high damage output. You're not very tanky but you don't need to be.

Khora is very durable if you build for it and put lifesteal on Venari:

I use gas for the AoE proc and the DoT, both of which will heal you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other question since it might start to be relevant soon - how do people get a lot of these mods I see? Like the ones that lower one stat and give a big buff to another, etc. Or the "Umbral/Primal" things. I get the impression they might not drop normally.

I also just realized what was happening when I was playing Wukong and would suddenly go into stealth (or other weird things) while at low health (which I later realized was actually me dying) - apparently that's his passive lol.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ytlaya posted:

One other question since it might start to be relevant soon - how do people get a lot of these mods I see? Like the ones that lower one stat and give a big buff to another, etc. Or the "Umbral/Primal" things. I get the impression they might not drop normally.

I also just realized what was happening when I was playing Wukong and would suddenly go into stealth (or other weird things) while at low health (which I later realized was actually me dying) - apparently that's his passive lol.

The ones with -stats are "corrupted" mods, and you can get those by running Orokin Vaults with goons. First step is to head to the clan dojo pick up the recipes for the four Dragon Keys. Then you craft one of them, and it'll give you some nasty side effect like reduced hp or damage as long as you carry it (so unequip it from your gear wheel when you're done!). Next you party up with 3 other goons with the 3 other keys and run a (pretty low level) Orokin Derelict mission with them. Somewhere on the level will be a door you can unlock with the keys to get corrupted-mod loot.

Umbral mods you need to progress through the story quests.
Primed mods are mostly bought with ground-up prime parts from Baro Ki'Teer, a traveling merchant who shows up every 2 weeks (with a random inventory, so if you're looking to get any one particular primed mod you'll be waiting for a long time)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 18, 2019

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Iretep posted:

what she needs is mostly quality of life changes and maybe a change to her 2 so it does something useful. her 1, 3 and 4 are all useful in some way. her 3 is insanely powerful now but sadly even at 300% dur the duration sucks for it.

I just wish her 3, and Mesa's bullet shield thing for that matter, gave better visual or audio cues when they run out.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I've burned TWELVE GODDAMN RELICS for that dethcube bp and it won't drop. This relic is cursed, Tallgeese :psyduck:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just now learned that for every 1 point of unused mod capacity on your frame, you start with 5 more energy at the beginning of a mission.

I have close to 1000 hours in this game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tulip posted:

Khora is bonkers powerful. Just outrageously easy to murder everything. And she just got an indirect buff thanks to the SacSteel buff.

Khora is also super-useful -- I just killed my kuva lich (who had been beating my rear end) with almost no effort, because there was a Khora there keeping him in the Superman prison. It was amazing.

(Now I have a Kuva... archgun? Really?)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Unperson_47 posted:

I just now learned that for every 1 point of unused mod capacity on your frame, you start with 5 more energy at the beginning of a mission.

its not a very useful detail so dont worry

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its more relevant for archwings

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

I've been playing nearly two years and only just discovered amps have an alt-fire. :v:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hi thread, I've never traded rivens before, should I try to buy this guy's riven? (for gara stat stick)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

BMan posted:

Hi thread, I've never traded rivens before, should I try to buy this guy's riven? (for gara stat stick)

I'm a super scrub that only recently completed the star chart, but I'm pretty sure that mire has miserable base slash damage. 200% of 24 is 72, which is still like half of base atterax

Edit: just looked it up. Half of the base guandao. So you're better off going to clan dojo, getting the BP for guandao and crafting one than using mire

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 19, 2019

Malah
May 18, 2015

Khora was the one hellfarm that broke me. I ran NSO easily over a hundred times for the BP alone - got the components within probably five or ten runs? I was plat rich one day and tired of running NSO, bought her on a snap decision.

No regrets. Fully polarized Venari and sunk almost a full set into her as well. So good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BMan posted:

For a Gara stat stick it's good. Feels a little pricey but not catastrophic. Plus Mire rivens have been going up.

You probably know this but in case you don't, remember to hold 1 or you won't get the slash damage.

E

Guilty posted:

I'm a super scrub that only recently completed the star chart, but I'm pretty sure that mire has miserable base slash damage. 200% of 24 is 72, which is still like half of base atterax

he's not planning to hit people with Mire, he's using Mire as a stat stick for Shattered Lash, which does a boatload of slash damage.

There's 3 abilities that use the mods on your melee as mods for the ability (Gara, Atlas, and Khora, the 1 on each). Annoyingly they have slightly different needs so a single stat stick isn't ideal for all 3.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 19, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Guilty posted:

The actual sword is irrelevant, this is for buffing shattered lash damage

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

BMan posted:

The actual sword is irrelevant, this is for buffing shattered lash damage

Yeah and that skill uses the slash value on the weapon. That's why he's asking about the riven mod. Mire has miserable slash value, base 24. 200% of 24 is a lot less than guandao's base slash value

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Guilty posted:

Yeah and that skill uses the slash value on the weapon.
no it doesnt

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guilty posted:

Yeah and that skill uses the slash value on the weapon.
wrong, it uses the mods on the weapon and doesn't give a flying gently caress about the base stats of the weapon

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Awesome! posted:

no it doesnt

quote:

Shattered Lash is not affected by the equipped melee weapon's stats and innate effects.

You're right my bad

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah for 150p that's not a bad stat stick riven considering you don't need to put a drop of Kuva into it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BMan posted:

What site is this from?

Malah posted:

Khora was the one hellfarm that broke me. I ran NSO easily over a hundred times for the BP alone - got the components within probably five or ten runs? I was plat rich one day and tired of running NSO, bought her on a snap decision.

No regrets. Fully polarized Venari and sunk almost a full set into her as well. So good.

I've run NSO a whole bunch of times and only have one Khora part to show for it. Thinking this is going to take a loooong while...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What site is this from?

warframe.market

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think I got lucky with getting Khora from ESO.

My recent hellfarm was trying to get an Acceltra to drop. RNG laughed at me, I got 1 Akarius, then a few missions later i got 2 Akariuses, then another few missions later i got 3 Akariuses. When Acceltra finally dropped i extracted immediately.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Phobophilia posted:

I think I got lucky with getting Khora from ESO.

I'd say you were extremely lucky, considering khora parts don't drop in ESO whatsoever! :v:

(in terms of rare drops ESO has braton and lato vandal, blazing step ephemera, and peculiar mods whereas NSO has khora)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are there any good fist weapons? I'm leveling a fist weapon currently and the animations are fun. The weapon itself can apparently be used to craft another weapon that steals health on crits (which I can craft, though it uses Nitain Extract and I might want to avoid spending too much of that since I'm limited to what I'm getting from Nightwave).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ytlaya posted:

Are there any good fist weapons? I'm leveling a fist weapon currently and the animations are fun. The weapon itself can apparently be used to craft another weapon that steals health on crits (which I can craft, though it uses Nitain Extract and I might want to avoid spending too much of that since I'm limited to what I'm getting from Nightwave).

I repeat myself but I love the Korrudo with Heavy Attacks, the stomp animation is super fast and has reasonable aoe.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ytlaya posted:

You can always get more Nitain, and eventually you are gonna craft everything.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Ytlaya posted:

Kogake and Hirudo are actually sparring weapons. They come with leg attachments and their stances use both punches and kicks. Fist weapons are Tekko, Ankyros, Furax and have their own punchy stances/animations. Neither category is amazing compared to other melee types but you can definitely make them work. The stats for both types scale pretty linearly with MR so the highest one you have access to should perform best. Claws are also kind of similar and might perform slightly better because their stances have better procs. Venka Prime is super good but got its MR increased to 14 with the melee update so it may be a long ways off for you.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ytlaya posted:

I really enjoyed Kokage with attack speed and crit modifiers. It turns you into a flailing wall of punches that just rips through most squads of enemies.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ytlaya posted:

very late game, furax takes a turn for super powerful due to a unique mod that increases the AOE of launchers

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tulip posted:

very late game, furax takes a turn for super powerful due to a unique mod that increases the AOE of launchers

It's also got a pretty bonkers riven disposition, and they go for pretty cheap.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McKilligan posted:

It's also got a pretty bonkers riven disposition, and they go for pretty cheap.

Also the Wraith version looks really cool and badass.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want them to make all the weapons more useful. I always feel pulled toward certain weapon types because they just fit the meta better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tulip posted:

i dont have enough mod space for it anymore :saddowns: