Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's a moral failing in that we're supporting capitalism and the ever-oncoming death of humanity instead of spending the millions of dollars spent to make a Marvel movie on something productive or helpful.

We just also have no ability to influence things so, hey, might as well enjoy the time we have.

Eh, be active in your community, donate (if you can) to researched charities, try not to eat animal products, be kind to people you meet, etc These may be drops in the ocean and obviously there are bigger systemic problems that need facing, but of the moral failings, someone enjoying a popular film, music, video-game, theme park or whatever is so low down the list to almost be negligible. At least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Trying to reform capitalism does not in general mean living like a hermit. I'm real tired of the 'be a miserable scumbag' or 'give up all notion of change' dichotomy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phylodox posted:

Like, now I’m genuinely curious what Alan Moore thinks “being an adult” even is.

Probably writing stories about Alice from Wonderland telling Wendy from Peter Pan about all the times she’s banged.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Like, now I’m genuinely curious what Alan Moore thinks “being an adult” even is.

Being an adult isn't making and/or watching comic book movies, it's writing comic books!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Being an adult isn't making and/or watching comic book movies, it's writing comic books!

Last I checked he quit doing that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fangz posted:

Did he quit when he was 18?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

The interview is from 2016 and he was still writing then.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Trying to reform capitalism does not in general mean living like a hermit. I'm real tired of the 'be a miserable scumbag' or 'give up all notion of change' dichotomy.

Realizing that it's not up to me specifically to really impact things has really lowered my anxiety for the future. That and the fact that I stopped using twitter and tumblr.

I just got so tired of the doom and gloom mindset that only ever looks at bad news, and I'm generally much happier having broken away from that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The interview is from 2016 and he was still writing then.

Oh so why are we bringing it up again?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was just released in English.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Karloff posted:

Narratives about strong heroes committing righteous violence for the sake of justice or whatever has been a thing since forever. It wasn't invented with superheroes. And yes, you sure can make arguments about these escapist fantasies having toxic elements, and how they are infantile in their own way, but to say it's a modern phenomenon and that the obsession with super-heroes is materially different from the obsession with the muscle-bound action heroes from the eighties, or the a-typical lawmen of the Westerns, or even back further until you hit pulp heroes and greek mythology is a little off-base.
Yeah, I agree with some of what he says but he's being incredibly hyperbolic (and I'm sure it's on purpose, knowing him) by linking modern superhero stuff to Birth of a Nation.

The guy is a very good writer but he disconnected from modern society ages ago so I take some of these comments with a big grain of salt.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Moore has some eye-roll opinions on media, but he's mostly a cool and good guy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Moore sure has opinions for a guy who hasn't watched a comic book movie in decades.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Before everyone thinks this is in relation to the other words being spoken about comic book movies recently, please see this note at the start of the link

quote:

Below you can read a great interview with Moore conducted by Brazilian writer and editor Raphael Sassaki. The interview was finalized at the end of 2016, translated and published in January 2017 in a reduced version on the online pages of Folha de São Paulo (here).
This is the first time that the original English interview is available in full with the permission of Sassaki. Grazie, Raphael!

So it's not like someone asked him about what scorsese said and he felt he needed to comment, this seems to be a long held opinion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like the only thing that quote is revealing is that Alan Moore has a tremendously superficial idea of what adulthood means. It's to be judged solely on what media we consume in our moments of relaxation, not how we comport ourselves in our everyday lives.

I remember many years ago when my wife and I were still in our early 20s, we stopped by a hobby shop and she bought a silly, fuzzy little marionette creature. She took it out of the store and started walking it around in the mall. It was fun and silly and children who saw it were laughing and we were having a great time until this old man stormed up to my wife and said, " Don't you think you're a bit old for that?!?" It's stuck with us all these years, and that's how Moore's comments come off to me; another old man yelling at younger people for still playing video games into their adulthood, as though you're not truly an adult unless you surrender your free time to things you don't particularly enjoy or care about because they're accepted "adult" behaviour.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I somehow care even less about Alan Moore's uninformed opinion than I did about Scorsese's.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1196499842639503360

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I really don’t see how that’s comparable at all.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Honest question, has Moore written anything with the widespread social impact that Black Panther had merely for existing? It doesn't invalidate his opinion or anything but I gotta wonder what's he doing with his :10bux: that's morally better? Like be mad at the producers for not doing more I guess but don't hate on the public for having fun, we need it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Honest question, has Moore written anything with the widespread social impact that Black Panther had merely for existing? It doesn't invalidate his opinion or anything but I gotta wonder what's he doing with his :10bux: that's morally better? Like be mad at the producers for not doing more I guess but don't hate on the public for having fun, we need it.

Yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yes. Alan Moore's fingers are in a lot of the most popular comic book stories period and thus a part of a lot of films. For good and for ill he was a major part of defining a certain area of comics without which you wouldn't have a lot of what you have today.

Edit: I mean come on, Watchmen, regardless of Moore's own feelings on it and the crappy way he was treated, is absolutely a masterpiece of both comics art and comics writing. Killing Joke (despite its many flaws) basically has defined The Joker as a character since it came out. V for Vendetta is pretty much responsible for the modern image of the Guy Fawkes Mask being used the way it is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why are we spending so much time discussing alan moore's bad take from nearly four years ago

I feel like the obvious statements of "he almost has a cognizant criticism but veers off to yell about millennials" and "trying to draw a parallel between superheroes and the KKK when you just mentioned three Jewish comic creators is some real galaxy brain poo poo" have already been said. We don't need to shift into WELL ALAN MOORE WAS NEVER THAT IMPORTANT ANYWAY

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^^^^sorry

You guys might be ascribing more relevance to comic books than they deserve. I love comics but they don't reach everybody. Black Panther meant a lot, inspired a much neglected culture of americans. Moore had one property break through the comics bubble reletively unscathed and it only managed to inspire what a hacking group decided to wear on their faces.
Again, it's not like any superhero movie so far has had anything particularly profound to say but Black Pather is an important piece of media inspite of that and it reached 80% of the planet vs a handful of white men thinking Miracleman is deep.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, yeah Black Panther probably has reached more people than everything Moore has done? It was really big.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Killing Joke is the bedrock of every major take on the Joker since, it’s a character with an absolutely colossal amount of cultural capital.

As for the hacking group comment, it’s had far wider reach and impact than that and anything sounds minimal when you phrase it like that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Codependent Poster posted:

Wonder Woman watches a QuickTime video of Darkseid that Lex put together complete with cool logo.

Hey hey the cool Darkseid logo still made it in.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I'm really not trying to be reductive but I don't see the impact. Maybe he's got charities in his name or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm really not trying to be reductive but I don't see the impact. Maybe he's got charities in his name or something.
Morrison, Moore, Gaiman, and Miller all pushed cape books into new ground and basically laid the foundation for like 20 years of narrative direction.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

...for comic books...yeah

If that left a mark on the greater landscape it's that comic books started to be taken more seriously as a medium

which directly lead to them being taken seriously as a source for film adaptations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sure, but you could say similar things about other works in marginalized areas. The fact that they break out and get reinterpreted or adapted for another audience is, in itself, important. Much less what impact it leaves on the immediate medium.

Like you can say the Teatro Campesino was just a bunch of Mexican Americans with theatre and english degrees poking fun at social ills in a low art kind of way, but that opened the door to Zoot Suit being made.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

But the zoot suit is a real thing, evidence, a metric to be measured. I just asked what Moore's impact was fully expecting to get schooled and all I got was "yes" and "comic books are better now"(an undeniable truth but missing the point).
When Scorsese and Moore write their criticisms they hit on some decent if not painfully obvious points but then they start deciding what's cinema or what's fascist propaganda or whatever and it's clear they've been huffing their own farts for too long. By golly I simply do not have the patience for that level of "out of touch old white man telling me why he's right about everything" anymore.
Now don't get me wrong, they both did some grade A genre work in the 70s and 80s (90s?) and I would love nothing more than for Marvel Studios and Disney to do more impactful things with their all encompassing relevance but hey I consider Captain Marvel and Black Panther tiny victories against the kind of ideology that the KKK would push and it doesn't shock me that either of those dudes overlook that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rhyno posted:

There's probably a lot of crossover between incels and the snydercut bros.

Why don’t you go gently caress your self.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

But the zoot suit is a real thing, evidence, a metric to be measured.
What a weird-rear end take.

Anyway, I think we're just talking past each other since you're taking the tack where you're discounting the effect Moore's had on the genre.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

But the zoot suit is a real thing, evidence, a metric to be measured. I just asked what Moore's impact was fully expecting to get schooled and all I got was "yes" and "comic books are better now"(an undeniable truth but missing the point).
When Scorsese and Moore write their criticisms they hit on some decent if not painfully obvious points but then they start deciding what's cinema or what's fascist propaganda or whatever and it's clear they've been huffing their own farts for too long. By golly I simply do not have the patience for that level of "out of touch old white man telling me why he's right about everything" anymore.
Now don't get me wrong, they both did some grade A genre work in the 70s and 80s (90s?) and I would love nothing more than for Marvel Studios and Disney to do more impactful things with their all encompassing relevance but hey I consider Captain Marvel and Black Panther tiny victories against the kind of ideology that the KKK would push and it doesn't shock me that either of those dudes overlook that.

People have explained to you exactly what his impact was. Likewise the movies you're talking up so much would literally not exist without him and a handful of other creators, because they are based on stories they told. Alan Moore basically defined The Joker and every story since has borrowed at least some of what he did, including the first R-rated movie to make over a billion dollars.

You're literally arguing that Black Panther is more important not because of its own merits but because of how much money it made and because lovely people on the internet got angry at it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 19, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You don't have to listen to Scorsese or Moore, I think Moore has pretty much lost his marbles by this point in any case, but the lasting impact both have had in their respective fields is undeniable. If you don't want to engage more challenging fare than MCU flicks, that's totally valid. You do you my dude!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: not worth keeping an argument going. I'll drop it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Why don’t you go gently caress your self.

See, this is why people think that. You act like comicsgaters.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's a pretty horrible thing to say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Baloney. Every person I know that thumps for the Snyder Cut has a healthy dose of woman hating in their portfolio.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That isn’t the case. Maybe on twitter where pretty much everyone is racist, but not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here the overwhelming belief is that it doesn't exist and we mock the people asking for the release.