Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Can't in good conscience give a full score due to the massacres, but overall service quite good 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1196544493044064257

1) absolutely
2) i feel like the false accusations of meddled elections could be partially circumnavigated if this person ran for his party to begin with
3) but, obviously, fat chance with his party officials being officially hunted down by the fascists now

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

not an endorsement posted:

2) i feel like the false accusations of meddled elections could be partially circumnavigated if this person ran for his party to begin with

Nah. We tried this already. If you don't have the legacy of having built the welfare state they'll coup you twice as easily.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
The justification for the coup was a false accusation of electoral fraud, it would have been the same regardless of who was running

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Gum posted:

The justification for the coup was a false accusation of electoral fraud, it would have been the same regardless of who was running

Not just the echoes of people pointing at Morales personally and nonsensically yelling "authoritarian"?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
First, Camacho was meeting with Bolsonaro as far back as April. There's pretty much no other reason than starting the orchestration of a coup for Camacho, who holds no official position in government, to be conducting foreign policy that early.

Second, the Brazilian experience is pretty clarifying here. Lula had 86% approval at the time his term ended, and he would likely win as many elections as he'd like had he run. There would have even been a precedent for it (his predecessor changed the law to allow for reelection and benefited from it directly, so it wouldn't be the first time that a president extends term limits). Soon after Lula stepped down, the things we know for sure are that:

- Restrictions on the prosecution of former presidents was removed
- Members of the judiciary started conspiring to arrest Lula
- When Dilma lost support and the coup appeared more likely, the judiciary manipulated recordings to block Lula's appointment to a cabinet position, something that even the president that benefited from impeachment admitted was likely determinant in the impeachment

Even after PT running a different person, and abiding by pretty clearly dishonest impeachment proceedings and prosecution against Lula, the hardcore Bolsonaro supporters are still all sure that PT's authoritarian turn is just around the corner.

So, no, term limits are in no way the cause here, and are just a pretext. The people calling for an all white government, for the expulsion of indigenous people from cities, and for the hunting down of MAS politicians wouldn't be mollified by the election of a non-Evo. It would just make it easier to outmaneuver that person.

Discussing term limits with regards to Bolivia is about as useful as discussing whether Germany should institute term limits. It may be a useful rhetorical exercise, but it is completely dissociated from what it happening on the ground.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Not just the echoes of people pointing at Morales personally and nonsensically yelling "authoritarian"?

that's just retroactive justification from people who wanted a coup in the first place (and for the ghouls in dnd who just seem to be aroused by the mass murder)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just in case it isn't clear, this was the formula for a fascist rightwing takeover of honduras supported by the united states complete with death squads

in the words of SOS clinton:

quote:

In the subsequent days I spoke with my counterparts around the hemisphere … We strategized on a plan to restore order in Honduras and ensure that free and fair elections could be held quickly and legitimately, which would render the question of Zelaya moot.

more fascist rightwing imperialist coups, more mass bombing of brown people, and increased war spending is what you can expect under a warren administration

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hot take: the people who are ok with the coup are just as bad as people who are ok with trump's concentration camps

because 1. the repression is going to lead to more refugees, not to mention the fact that re-liberalizing the economy is going to create a lot of economic refugees as peoples safety nets are pulled out from under them and income inequality slams back to pre-morales levels

and 2. at least the people in the concentration camps aren't being summarily executed (yet) whereas the police are currently out there summarily executing bolivians, with the promise of more state-sanctioned bloody reprisals

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

joepinetree posted:

First, Camacho was meeting with Bolsonaro as far back as April. There's pretty much no other reason than starting the orchestration of a coup for Camacho, who holds no official position in government, to be conducting foreign policy that early.

(a very good summary)

Discussing term limits with regards to Bolivia is about as useful as discussing whether Germany should institute term limits. It may be a useful rhetorical exercise, but it is completely dissociated from what it happening on the ground.

thanks for outlining and tying the prior of brazil to bolivia

i understand that the swing of authoritarianism and the violent push of right-wing parties makes these coups almost inevitable and will be justified post-hoc through any means --
i think my presumption was that the whole "term limit" argument applied solely to support of the general zeitgeist of the west, where popular media has overfixated on the length of morales' term as the reason not to regard this clear coup as a coup (which it is)

e: essentially 90% of conversations i'm having with (australian) people when i bring up bolivia is their shocking support of the alt-right bible-wielding helicopter-shooting fascists under the explanation of "well, they replaced a dictator!" which a) could not be further from the truth and b) shows where their priorities are

not an endorsement has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Nov 19, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/alytadeleon/status/1196428515366846465?s=21

can’t wait for Warren to bring John Bolton on as Secretary of State

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maduro is arming a 320k strong militia movement, guess he wizened up about relying on the army lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plutonis posted:

Maduro is arming a 320k strong militia movement, guess he wizened up about relying on the army lol

Well Guiado did specifically say he was looking to Bolivia as an inspiration

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anywhere I can get up-to-the-minute news on Bolivia?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Arming the colectivos was the one smart thing that entire gang of buffoons ever did.

Coincidentally, it's also why in many communist countries the army is subordinate to the party directly, instead of state organs. Almost like they have experience with this kind of thing before.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Addamere posted:

Is there anywhere I can get up-to-the-minute news on Bolivia?

telesur is probably your best bet, although they're ping-ponging between chile and venezuela also

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Warren is really really bad on foreign policy, one if the areas a president has enormous unitary powers

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Al! posted:

hot take: the people who are ok with the coup are just as bad as people who are ok with trump's concentration camps

because 1. the repression is going to lead to more refugees, not to mention the fact that re-liberalizing the economy is going to create a lot of economic refugees as peoples safety nets are pulled out from under them and income inequality slams back to pre-morales levels

and 2. at least the people in the concentration camps aren't being summarily executed (yet) whereas the police are currently out there summarily executing bolivians, with the promise of more state-sanctioned bloody reprisals

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lethal liz

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Nick posted:

telesur is probably your best bet, although they're ping-ponging between chile and venezuela also

Thanks! By the way, their English site looks great for a non-US biased take on world news in general.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Arming the colectivos was the one smart thing that entire gang of buffoons ever did.

Buffoons?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So looks like twitter has locked the accessibility of profile pic jpgs behind some CS fuckery

easy but tedious enough to access if you’re a dork in dev console or page source

did they do this specifically because gusano puppet armies keep getting reverse image searched?

i don’t know!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So looks like twitter has locked the accessibility of profile pic jpgs behind some CS fuckery

easy but tedious enough to access if you’re a dork in dev console or page source

did they do this specifically because gusano puppet armies keep getting reverse image searched?

i don’t know!

huh?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i don’t know!

no they did not

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

they've made it harder to tell when a twitter account is using a stolen/stock photo as a profile pic

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I was a little worried things might be dying down because the protests were much smaller on Saturday and Sunday and in a few cities seemed to almost stop entirely (in La Paz/El Alto they even turned Mi Teleferico back on, after turning it off all week to make it more difficult for 'the Indians' to get into the city), but the marches today seem to have been larger than ever and there were even fewer active attempts by the police to clear them. Maybe people just needed a breather.

The refinery that supplies gas to La Paz and El Alto is apparently surrounded entirely with barricades. I was really worried yesterday because people were posting footage of heavily armed soldiers rolling out of their barracks and heading towards the refinery, but rather than actually clearing the barricades they just kind of went past them and set up shop inside the refinery, which they are now holding. The highways around the refinery are totally loving devoid of traffic because all the access points are barricaded.

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1196577074804342784

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gum posted:

they've made it harder to tell when a twitter account is using a stolen/stock photo as a profile pic

thanks! :shobon:

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

galenanorth posted:

What are your sources? I found

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-bolivia-lithium-idUSKBN1OB206
https://www.dw.com/en/bolivians-protest-over-lithium-deal-with-german-company/a-50732216
https://lithium-news.com/2019/11/05/bolivia-scraps-joint-lithium-project-with-german-company/

for the 80% part.

edit: Found https://www.dw.com/en/bolivia-morales-calls-for-new-elections-pressure-to-resign-mounts/a-51190661 for the 3% part, though Deutsche Welle starts off giving the OAS claims credibility by saying "after the OAS uncovered grave 'manipulations.'" It mentions that Argentina and Chile have gotten 8%-10% for their local civic committees. When I searched "bolivia lithium 51%" I only found

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/15/news/world/lithium-chile-bolivia/index.html
https://www.gulf-times.com/story/620599/Germany-edges-out-China-in-Bolivia-lithium-game

in reference to the German deal

The 51/49 split is for the Chinese deal, not the German one.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bolivia-lithium-china/bolivia-picks-chinese-partner-for-2-3-billion-lithium-projects-idUSKCN1PV2F7

quote:

China’s Xinjiang TBEA Group Co Ltd will hold a 49 percent stake in a planned joint venture with Bolivia’s state lithium company YLB, the Bolivian firm said.

Together, the companies will seek to produce lithium and other materials from the Coipasa and Pastos Grandes salt flats.

Bolivia estimates that development of the projects will cost at least $2.3 billion. The Chinese firm will provide initial investment and YLB will pay its share with future lithium production, YLB’s executive manager Juan Carlos Montenegro said by phone.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

thanks for outlining and tying the prior of brazil to bolivia

i understand that the swing of authoritarianism and the violent push of right-wing parties makes these coups almost inevitable and will be justified post-hoc through any means --
i think my presumption was that the whole "term limit" argument applied solely to support of the general zeitgeist of the west, where popular media has overfixated on the length of morales' term as the reason not to regard this clear coup as a coup (which it is)

e: essentially 90% of conversations i'm having with (australian) people when i bring up bolivia is their shocking support of the alt-right bible-wielding helicopter-shooting fascists under the explanation of "well, they replaced a dictator!" which a) could not be further from the truth and b) shows where their priorities are

Western media aren't neutral arbiters here, they push an agenda. And that agenda exists regardless of the underlying facts.

Manuel Zelaya was president of Honduras. He presided over the most drastic reduction in poverty in Honduras' history. In the years that Zelaya was president, the poverty rate in Honduras went from a little over 41% to 27%.

In 2009, he conducted a non-binding referendum asking if voters would like to have an actual referendum about calling for a constituent assembly. So it wasn't even a referendum on a constitutional assembly, but a non-binding referendum on conducting a referendum for a constitutional assembly. It was portrayed as an egregious violation, a clear act of authoritarianism, and so there was a coup. The US intervened when Brazil tried to come up with a compromise solution and backed the coup. Since that coup, there has actually been a president reelected in Honduras. Juan Orlando Hernández, who is also intimately connected to drug cartels, was reelected in 2017. You see, a non-binding referendum on conducting a referendum was a clear sign that Zelaya wanted to run for reelection and perpetuate himself in power, but later on the same people super concerned about Zelaya actually argued that the Honduran constitution allowed for reelections all along. In 2017 Hernandez was reelected in an election so fraudulent that the loving economist found evidence of fraud before the vote was even held.

As a result of the ouster of Zelaya, not only did poverty grow, but it was for a while there the most dangerous place in the world to live (it is "only" 3rd now). It sparked the massive immigration wave from Honduras to the United States that has led to the whole child detention center stuff. The population of Hondurans living in the US essentially doubled after the 2009 coup because of that.

And despite every single event after 2009 making it very clear that it was a coup (after all the people denouncing the non-binding referendum on a referendum because it might open the door to reelections went on to support actual reelections without even changing the law), despite the very clear connection between the 2009 coup and the migrant crisis today, you are not going to see any major media source call it a coup. Hillary is asked about it from time to time and she still calls it not a coup. The loving economist got a tape of the current president planning on defrauding the election in 2017 and they still don't call him a dictator.

There is literally nothing that one can do to avoid this. Because there's no logic or arguing here.

Hell, just the other day, some former Obama state department assholes were talking about how setting Lula free was a setback for fighting corruption in Brazil, and this AFTER all the evidence that Lula was the target of a conspiracy between the judge and the prosecution, and that the judge was actively negotiating with the Bolsonaro government for a cabinet position even as he was making Lula ineligible.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

Hell, just the other day, some former Obama state department assholes were talking about how setting Lula free was a setback for fighting corruption in Brazil, and this AFTER all the evidence that Lula was the target of a conspiracy between the judge and the prosecution, and that the judge was actively negotiating with the Bolsonaro government for a cabinet position even as he was making Lula ineligible.

The state department makes trump look like a loving angel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Western media aren't neutral arbiters here, they push an agenda. And that agenda exists regardless of the underlying facts.

Manuel Zelaya was president of Honduras. He presided over the most drastic reduction in poverty in Honduras' history. In the years that Zelaya was president, the poverty rate in Honduras went from a little over 41% to 27%.

In 2009, he conducted a non-binding referendum asking if voters would like to have an actual referendum about calling for a constituent assembly. So it wasn't even a referendum on a constitutional assembly, but a non-binding referendum on conducting a referendum for a constitutional assembly. It was portrayed as an egregious violation, a clear act of authoritarianism, and so there was a coup. The US intervened when Brazil tried to come up with a compromise solution and backed the coup. Since that coup, there has actually been a president reelected in Honduras. Juan Orlando Hernández, who is also intimately connected to drug cartels, was reelected in 2017. You see, a non-binding referendum on conducting a referendum was a clear sign that Zelaya wanted to run for reelection and perpetuate himself in power, but later on the same people super concerned about Zelaya actually argued that the Honduran constitution allowed for reelections all along. In 2017 Hernandez was reelected in an election so fraudulent that the loving economist found evidence of fraud before the vote was even held.

As a result of the ouster of Zelaya, not only did poverty grow, but it was for a while there the most dangerous place in the world to live (it is "only" 3rd now). It sparked the massive immigration wave from Honduras to the United States that has led to the whole child detention center stuff. The population of Hondurans living in the US essentially doubled after the 2009 coup because of that.

And despite every single event after 2009 making it very clear that it was a coup (after all the people denouncing the non-binding referendum on a referendum because it might open the door to reelections went on to support actual reelections without even changing the law), despite the very clear connection between the 2009 coup and the migrant crisis today, you are not going to see any major media source call it a coup. Hillary is asked about it from time to time and she still calls it not a coup. The loving economist got a tape of the current president planning on defrauding the election in 2017 and they still don't call him a dictator.

There is literally nothing that one can do to avoid this. Because there's no logic or arguing here.

Honduras was another big Crooked Hillary accomplishment.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

joepinetree posted:

speaking of honduras, here's a funny section from that University of Michigan model which found that even if you gave all of the potentially fraudulent votes in the election to mesa, morales still would have won by more than 10%

"The Honduras 2017 election featured procedural glitches similar to some that occurred in Bolivia with results that were questioned. The eforensics model estimates 89051.4[84463.3, 91699.0] “fraudulent” votes for the winner—much larger than the margin of victory—with 62153.1 [59372.7, 64047.7] votes manufactured."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

2009 me was very naive/dumb about "intervention, but the good liberal version"

Thanks for permanently and quickly disabusing me of that idea, Obama

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brugroffil posted:

2009 me was very naive/dumb about "intervention, but the good liberal version"

Thanks for permanently and quickly disabusing me of that idea, Obama

People say Obama was terrible for leftism in the US but he did teach us never to trust the liberals

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for President Bernie's cia to start conducting leftist coups

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Addamere posted:

Can't wait for President Bernie's cia to start conducting leftist coups

the only leftist coup bernie's cia will be doing is couping the leftist in the white house

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gum posted:

the only leftist coup bernie's cia will be doing is couping the leftist in the white house

please do not speak harm against Gentle Bernie friend :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
First order of business in Bernie’s America should be to disband the cia and send all members to Guantanamo Bay.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

imperialism is a system, not a policy. the CIA won't turn into a force for good or peace just because a social democrat is in the white house

MonsieurChoc posted:

First order of business in Bernie’s America should be to disband the cia and send all members to Guantanamo Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People say Obama was terrible for leftism in the US but he did teach us never to trust the liberals