Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Deteriorata posted:

The treadmill will at least keep the logs from flying.

i appreciated this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh hell yeah I was just watching a bunch of these British Pathe videos and I thought I saw a lot of material for this thread.

I'm not a candy making expert nor am I up to date on what is and isn't OSHA compliant but I think this isn't, around 14 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE

Came for the candy, stayed for the blatant sexism.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was just reminded of this video. This dude breathes all the noble gases. No precautions taken or anything, just "yeah got a balloon full o' xenon here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5j8mG24H4

he also sniffs a chunk of uranium ore lol

what a tease; I thought he managed to find someone to sell him a cylinder of radon so he could huff alpha particles

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh hell yeah I was just watching a bunch of these British Pathe videos and I thought I saw a lot of material for this thread.

I'm not a candy making expert nor am I up to date on what is and isn't OSHA compliant but I think this isn't, around 14 seconds in.

Oh lordy, the Finger Crusher at 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE&t=91s

"Here Margaret, really get your dainty womanly fingers all over the exposed gears and wheels of this horror device."

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Don’t mind me, just introducing termites to the interior of my home. Dumbass.

very old school to have a wood burning heater in the basement, not uncommon to store wood in a separate cordon of the basement. you'd split a bunch and let it dry all summer and autumn then bring it in for the winter

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

Came for the candy, stayed for the blatant sexism.

They're absolutely full of sexism, around 1:20 for this one about miniature wargames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

Watch grand Moff Tarkin play with little mans, a fine hobby for any boy and more intelligent girls

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 19, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/B2H39dD.mp4

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

very old school to have a wood burning heater in the basement, not uncommon to store wood in a separate cordon of the basement. you'd split a bunch and let it dry all summer and autumn then bring it in for the winter

We had a coal chute in the 120 year old house I grew up in, but this was filmed recently. Bad idea.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So glad there's sound on this one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burt Sexual posted:

Don’t mind me, just introducing termites to the interior of my home. Dumbass.

The fact that the plants and nature are actually green in the background likely means this isn't termite territory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still don't get where they guy expected that tree to go. Into the street? into someone else's house? That was way too tall to just chop down like a loving lumberjack in the middle of a neighborhood.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Thank you. The sounds moves this from good solid tree moron 'freude to utterly sublime.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If a tree falls in a suburb, does the lumberjack make a sound?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

it looks like there was a tension device, to pull the tree in the correct direction, attached 20ft up.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I feel like there's a certain type of idiot who thinks just because they're a land owner that they're basically qualified to do every single piece of work the property requires, and that hiring any sort of professional is a sign of weakness.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The fact that the plants and nature are actually green in the background likely means this isn't termite territory.

Wood is often brought from other locations than a suburban half acre lot with Kentucky bluegrass.

E and termites don’t live where there is plants and nature? Idgi. They live in dead (and live?) wood in the woods where there’s tons of fallen trees that are usually first harvested? I am not a lumberjack, but have wood termite experience. :)

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 19, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PinheadSlim posted:

I feel like there's a certain type of idiot who thinks just because they're a land owner that they're basically qualified to do every single piece of work the property requires, and that hiring any sort of professional is a sign of weakness.

And then the logical* progression of this is that he'll try to fix his roof himself, all but guaranteeing it will leak forever.

*the only place logic is involved in this process at all to be fair.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

Who says it's the landowner? You can see the guy's bright blue trailer around the side of the house on the left. That maroon is (supposed to be) a professional.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burt Sexual posted:

Wood is often brought from other locations than a suburban half acre lot with Kentucky bluegrass.

E and termites don’t live where there is plants and nature? Idgi. They live in dead (and live?) wood in the woods where there’s tons of fallen trees that are usually first harvested? I am not a lumberjack, but have wood termite experience. :)

Sure, but termites tend to live in dry rear end, hot dusty places, hence less green greenery.

It's a pretty stark contrast between states/towns that have them and those that don't. Lots of states you constantly have to spray and watch for termites, others they'd probably call the news if a house somehow became infested with termites. All along the northern states, and huge dip into the center of the country have pretty much zero termite activity.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wouldn't at all be surprised to find this is in a Louisiana suburb. My mom lives out in the middle of nowhere and one of her neighbours moved in and immediately began trying to chainsaw through an acre of trees. Obviously that worked out about as well for him as this did.

I turned the sound way up so I could hear the, "Noooooooo! God Damnit! CRUNCHGOD DAMNITCRUNCH gently caress! What The...FUUUUUUCK. Jesus!"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That guy will be forever blaming his 97 pound teenage nephew for not pulling the rope hard enough to deflect the tree correctly.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PinheadSlim posted:

Margaret wearing stilettoes gave me the first cringe.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Thank you for your service

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That guy will be forever blaming his 97 pound teenage nephew for not pulling the rope hard enough to deflect the tree correctly.

MAYBE IF YA SPENT MORE TIME DOING SOME WORK INSTEAD OF COLLECTING THEM POKYMANS, YOU COULD PULLED THAT 10,000 POUND TREE!! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WHEN YOU GROW UP AND NEED A TREE PULLED?! AIN'T NO WAY YER SPRINKLYPUF OR PEEKSHOE GONNA HELP YOU! I TELL YOU, IT'S YOUR MOMS FAULT. IT ALL STARTED WHEN SHE LET YOU WATCH THAT HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL SHOW. PUT THOUGHTS IN YER HEAD, INSTEAD OF MUSCLES IN YER ARMS!!!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It looks like the line isn't even in tension, unless he just dropped it in order to run the gently caress away right when the video starts.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, but termites tend to live in dry rear end, hot dusty places, hence less green greenery.

It's a pretty stark contrast between states/towns that have them and those that don't. Lots of states you constantly have to spray and watch for termites, others they'd probably call the news if a house somehow became infested with termites. All along the northern states, and huge dip into the center of the country have pretty much zero termite activity.

I live in Ontario and my only exposure to termites is gags from Looney Tunes. The idea of that being an issue from bringing in wood over here is unheard of. Dunno where dude in the video lives but there are lots of places where it just isn't an issue.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

Who says it's the landowner? You can see the guy's bright blue trailer around the side of the house on the left. That maroon is (supposed to be) a professional.

You're absolutely right, I just assumed anyone getting paid to do this would be slightly competent. Also I'm just all traumatized from my grandpa who lived with us and did that kind of poo poo a lot.

One time we moved into a house that had a pool with a really really bad algae problem, and he gave me bleach pucks to scrape against the side of the pool until it got better. Nothing else, not even a pool testing kit. It took months and two different pool cleaning companies to convince him it would take more than that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It looks like the line isn't even in tension, unless he just dropped it in order to run the gently caress away right when the video starts.

My fave is the last 3 seconds on the right where dad shakes his he violently and says “gently caress!”

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BattleMaster posted:

I live in Ontario and my only exposure to termites is gags from Looney Tunes. The idea of that being an issue from bringing in wood over here is unheard of. Dunno where dude in the video lives but there are lots of places where it just isn't an issue.

Termites in Illinois. I’ve seen them in cut wood. Very green in Illinois (in not dead of winter minus 30 degrees)

E I was actually taught to not stack wood outside near your house like in an overhang under a deck. Am I an idiot?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No, you're not. Termites go after wet, dead wood in contact with the ground.

They'll work their way up framing from grade as long as they can a) stay in the dark and b) have a nerby water source. They will carry water with them, but not more than 5-6 feet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burt Sexual posted:

E I was actually taught to not stack wood outside near your house like in an overhang under a deck. Am I an idiot?

Seems smart for your area. Looks like Illinois is in Termite Zone 2, in that you have one to two types of termite active. Just subterranean and dampwood termites though, no drywood or formosan species though. Subterraneans are simultaneously the most and least destructive termite. Most because they're are the most widespread so they cause the most destruction overall, but least because among termite species they are probably the least voracious. They make up for slower activity with higher numbers and being widespread. Dampwoods aren't much of a threat to homes, as the amount of moisture they require in wood is higher than the wood in a typical home carries.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Osha termitechat success!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Trabant posted:

Yes, yes, noise bad. Can we focus on what's important: the first few frames of that video and wtf it depicts?

It's the eternal battle between the Superego and the Id

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dick Burglar posted:

I hope to god that the tree worker is the ex-goon that started walking across the US, failed to make it 25 miles, quit, drove out to Death Valley and broke down, then moved on to his dad's tree business in Florida.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh lordy, the Finger Crusher at 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE&t=91s

"Here Margaret, really get your dainty womanly fingers all over the exposed gears and wheels of this horror device."

At least she was wearing safety heels while poking around in the industrial finger mangler.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I hope to god that the tree worker is the ex-goon that started walking across the US, failed to make it 25 miles, quit, drove out to Death Valley and broke down, then moved on to his dad's tree business in Florida.

Wait, wait, wait.. this is the ending to the goon that tried to hike across the US with a baby push pram and 1/2 lb of trailmix and had to be rescued by park rangers in San Diego (??) less than 5 miles after starting?

:aaa:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Where was this tree even going to land if it did not hit the house?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dread Head posted:

Where was this tree even going to land if it did not hit the house?

On the cameraman, looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

New osha tee.