Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

Please I'm begging you stop posting pictures of Lembit :negative:
H E W A I T S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does lembit have a detachable lower jaw like a snake?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

tbf to Sam Coates you can tell from following his reporting that he loving hates Boris Johnson and a lot of the Tories

like it's really funny how many Tory-leaning journalists have come to HATE those cunts in the past year or so

Similar for a fair few Labour MPs, who would've been happy to let them win under May but viscerally hate Johnson. I think it's been eye-opening for them watching people they considered 'serious politicians' turn their backs on every principle and spout Trump-like lies and racism at every turn just to stay in power.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Tesseraction posted:

NeItHeR lEfT nOr RiGhT bUt ThE cEnTrE

Which one's Skills and which one's Wallet?

:golfclap:

E: Goddamn CGI that's a snipe and a half.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

Here's one pulling from multiple researchers suggesting that Comic Sans has minimal effect. Interestingly they say that slowing everyone down can help all learners memorize things, but suggest italics for that more than bad fonts, but overall that out of all the effects letter shape (like Comic Sans and Dyslexie) has minimal effect, but strong ascenders and descenders (like Tekton) and most importantly letter spacing (like Courier and other monotype fonts) does more to make things easier to read for everyone, including people with dyslexia.

Cheers, I'll check that out when I'm not about to fall asleep :)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/GhostofAckbar/status/1196418134447730689?s=20
:stonk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

CGI Stardust posted:

H E W A I T S

This is the worst snipe in forums history

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Does lembit have a detachable lower jaw like a snake?

Yes! Here he is mid-demonstration

Ms Adequate posted:

You knew what would happen if you did this

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

If I remember correctly this is just good marketing for a private security firm. They don't actually have any more powers than anyone else. They're just milking rich idiots who think having random guys in uniform patrol their street makes them any safer.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jabby posted:

If I remember correctly this is just good marketing for a private security firm. They don't actually have any more powers than anyone else. They're just milking rich idiots who think having random guys in uniform patrol their street makes them any safer.

If you think it ends there and this isn't, in fact, the top of a sheer vertical slippery slope, I have a bridge to sell you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Valhalla DRO is go!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

NeItHeR lEfT nOr RiGhT bUt ThE cEnTrE

Practically wholesome compared to Boris

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Remember how the Very Smart People in our press all confidently predicted that Labour would be wiped out by May? When they were falling over one another to predict ever decreasing numbers of seats, and a return for the Libs as second party? Remember how, by the time we reached a few days before the vote, every single one of those Very Smart People had actually known all along that Theresa May was actually terrible? Remember how the surprise at the result lasted less than a week, before giving way to "actually Corbyn performed worse than expectations"? I'm only surprised that we did actually get a good few months in before that shifted again to "I can't believe he didn't resign after the 2017 result".

The exact same thing is playing out right now. There are enough Very Smart People predicting a Tory majority (although fewer than last time), that the others daren't break ranks. I suspect that's the motivation in massaging the polling numbers - it probably feels fairly benign to fudge a 4 point lead to an 8 point lead to line up closer with the Very Smart People, but when the base numbers get closer and polls start to break for Labour, more questions will be asked. If Corbyn actually pulls this off and Labour win somehow, you better loving believe the Very Smart People are going to be claiming they knew all along that this would happen.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Practically wholesome compared to Boris

His chin gives away his inner Lib Dem

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bundy posted:

If you think it ends there and this isn't, in fact, the top of a sheer vertical slippery slope, I have a bridge to sell you.

I mean it's not great that the rich are hiring uniformed thugs to guard certain streets against people who are walking-while-black (or walking-while-poor), but it's not a private police force. It's also not a new idea, the rich have had gated communities and power-tripping neighbourhood watch groups for ages.

I also refuse to believe they don't have a much higher chance of being burgled by a mate of their private security (who happens to know exactly when their house is empty and when the patrols are) than they do any crime being prevented by this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

And for those not in the know, "ra ri ru re ro" anglicised as "La Li Lu Le Lo" is the way that Japanese children are taught that row of the syllabary.
My wife was mentioning the "ɾ" sound and did the "ɾa ɾe ɾu ɾi ɾo" bit, and after pretty much making the guard alert noise and a brief discussion, we decided it would be like if you heard there was an illuminati offshoot called the ABCD, but using cyrillic characters that sounded sort of like ABCD but were not natural for english speakers to make.

It's a weird one to explain but I'm amused by it anyway.

Jose posted:

i'll never stand for office but i stand by every dta and dti and dtsa post i've ever made and i don't mean death to something awful
I think it'll be your dtf posts that will be your true downfall.

forkboy84 posted:

As a relatively recent convert to tea drinking why on earth do people care so much about how other people make a cup of tea? Unless I'm making it for you it doesn't seem to matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK_vfp8po8

jabby posted:

EDIT: lol he's written another letter to try and drag the agenda back onto Brexit.
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1196561879822479369
dear jeremy i wrote you but you still aint callin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

There aren't that many powers that a police force has that a private citizen doesn't if they can get a magistrate to allow it (owing to Peelian principles) so I guess the amount of bad that can come of this is directly proportional to the amount of people who believe in this poo poo in those areas that are prepared to volunteer as magistrates and get accepted (and the amount of pushback that gets).

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

This is the worst snipe in forums history
[echoey TotalBiscuit intro voice over a Piss Diamond flag] OPIK

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Scikar posted:

Remember how the Very Smart People in our press all confidently predicted that Labour would be wiped out by May? When they were falling over one another to predict ever decreasing numbers of seats, and a return for the Libs as second party? Remember how, by the time we reached a few days before the vote, every single one of those Very Smart People had actually known all along that Theresa May was actually terrible? Remember how the surprise at the result lasted less than a week, before giving way to "actually Corbyn performed worse than expectations"? I'm only surprised that we did actually get a good few months in before that shifted again to "I can't believe he didn't resign after the 2017 result".

The exact same thing is playing out right now. There are enough Very Smart People predicting a Tory majority (although fewer than last time), that the others daren't break ranks. I suspect that's the motivation in massaging the polling numbers - it probably feels fairly benign to fudge a 4 point lead to an 8 point lead to line up closer with the Very Smart People, but when the base numbers get closer and polls start to break for Labour, more questions will be asked. If Corbyn actually pulls this off and Labour win somehow, you better loving believe the Very Smart People are going to be claiming they knew all along that this would happen.

This thought process is what is keeping me going atm if I'm honest. If it plays out we could be on the cusp of something loving amazing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife was mentioning the "ɾ" sound and did the "ɾa ɾe ɾu ɾi ɾo" bit, and after pretty much making the guard alert noise and a brief discussion, we decided it would be like if you heard there was an illuminati offshoot called the ABCD, but using cyrillic characters that sounded sort of like ABCD but were not natural for english speakers to make.

It's a weird one to explain but I'm amused by it anyway.

I think it'll be your dtf posts that will be your true downfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK_vfp8po8

dear jeremy i wrote you but you still aint callin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5xxh5UX4U

(Though by no means suggesting the repulsive Johnson is fit to be something on the bottom of Elvis' shoe.)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

I still think the Tories have got the mood of the country exactly right, which is why they're running the exact wrong campaign.

People are sick of hearing about Brexit. That doesn't mean they want an election campaign all about 'getting it done', it means they want politicians to shut the gently caress up about it and talk about something else.

I wonder if it'll help to make the point that the tories' plans will not in fact "get brexit done" but merely start an endless parade of trade negotiations. or if that still counts as not shutting the gently caress up about it. Admittedly brexit as an issue will probably continually come up for years regardless of what happens but that's not a great thing to think about, though at least under corbyn there will be a point where Doing Stuff To Do With Brexit won't have to be part of labour policy anymore

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why do very sensible people seem to always be neither sensible nor, in a lot of cases, people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've become so sensible that they have transcended the fetters of the flesh and become beings of pure sense, and communing with higher dimensions of sensibility that your mere mortal brain cannot comprehend.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

we refer you to the reply given in the case of Neill v Chomsky

they actually believe it. Anyone capable of being a journalist isn't getting an interview at a billionaire rag, everyone of value at the bbc resigned when cameron put a banker in charge, and even owen jones was a damascene conversion after a few months of hating jeremy corbyn because everyone he knew hated jeremy corbyn. what's left are the loving dregs who couldn't get into oxbridge despite their class privelege

That's unfair to Jones imo. He never hated Corbyn. Dude worked in McDonnel's office at one point. He was pessimistic for sure but then the pessimism was kind of understandable in those first 12 months up to the defeat of the chicken coup. The relentless assaults would grind down most people.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A being of pure sense that has shed the ability to conceive of an object or person outside of the present moment's sensory data. Literally only sensing their immediate surrounds and assuming what they perceive is commonly sensed by all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Why do very sensible people seem to always be neither sensible nor, in a lot of cases, people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nBx-37c3c8

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This is the full interview, and it bears watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxJaDfnATU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
re: Jones, it was stuff like this

https://medium.com/@OwenJones84/questions-all-jeremy-corbyn-supporters-need-to-answer-b3e82ace7ed3
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/corbyn-staying-not-good-enough

that won him love-letters such as this

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/06/17/owen-j17.html

(note carefully that the critic is a Trotskyist who is, if anything, even more critical of Corbyn, who is "pseudo-left" - the point is the curated attack bullet point list)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Listening to Alistair's brain melting in real time on the podcast is amazing.

Thanks praxis people, you are all amazing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rarity posted:

You knew what would happen if you did this

I did, but I was forced to express it nonetheless

CGI Stardust posted:

[echoey TotalBiscuit intro voice over a Piss Diamond flag] OPIK

Gott in Himmler :gonk:

Bundy posted:

His chin gives away his inner Lib Dem

In fairness while he's got a chin on him, the reason it's particularly spenky looking is because he fell like 80 feet out of the sky while paragliding and broke like half his bones

hooman posted:

Listening to Alistair's brain melting in real time on the podcast is amazing.

Thanks praxis people, you are all amazing.

Yeah his meltdowns and increasingly incoherent raging is a treasure that keeps me going :laugh:

ThomasPaine posted:

This thought process is what is keeping me going atm if I'm honest. If it plays out we could be on the cusp of something loving amazing.

It's wild seeing how on the one hand most people are acting as if this is simply Corbyn taking the crown that, really, was granted him in 2017 since which he has been PM-in-waiting, and on the other hand insisting he's more doomed than ever and Labour will be lucky to win 100 seats and they'll have to do a lot of soul-searching and house-cleaning if they want to be relevant once they finally get him out.

Seeing how they're manipulating the polls so starkly and are starting to flail with increasing desperation, acting as if nobody under 50 is going to the polls on the 12th, and just how abominable Johnson is at everything, I'm not feeling as if my optimism is nonsense!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1196557400553209856

Ms Adequate posted:

In fairness while he's got a chin on him, the reason it's particularly spenky looking is because he fell like 80 feet out of the sky while paragliding and broke like half his bones

Oh, sorry it was just a cheap shot at his chin trying to go to the right, apologies.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
While we're on lembitchat, is he still involved with that ark society thing where they're trying to build a country in space? :v:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This would be :discourse:
https://twitter.com/ChampagneDosser/status/1196502534552195072

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/AndyRog2330/status/1196503419315531779

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/Bobby19_/status/1196497573760163840?s=20

https://twitter.com/Bobby19_/status/1196497633868734464?s=20

(BTW Bobby is a good Labour lad and you should follow him)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bundy posted:

Oh, sorry it was just a cheap shot at his chin trying to go to the right, apologies.

Oh, no need to apologize, just cognizant of the fact that the thread is trying to be more mindful of stuff regarding people's looks so thought it worth pointing out!

Pilchenstein posted:

While we're on lembitchat, is he still involved with that ark society thing where they're trying to build a country in space? :v:

Asgardia shall lead the way into Fully Workfared Squalid Gay (But not TOO gay!) Low-Orbital Better Things Being Impossible!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ms Adequate posted:

I agree. Pictures of Lembit Öpik always have a jarring dissonance for me because somehow in my head I have his name filed next to Lenny Henry's face. I know who both people are, I can recognise them in photos and I know I repeatedly make the same mistake, but despite their main similarity being the first to two letters of their names it's always Lenny Henry I expect to see with an arm around each of the Cheeky Girls.

e: I don't think of Öpik when I see Henry though.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 19, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
ashamed that I find LK kinda hot tbqh. it's liz kendall all over again.

yeah I know, not suggesting that's relevant in any way to anything meaningful, just wish i would stop getting boners for tories

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want someone to treat you like poo poo and step on your nuts there are much healthier outlets than encouraging toryism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find her takes quite spicy