Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Looking for some guidance.

I'm in my early 30s and work in legal cannabis as an inventory manager. I've been with the company for just over 5 years and have been in my current position for just shy of 4. I started as a budtender while taking a break from school. As it turns out, all the medical weed workers that switched to recreational were pretty bad at running a business and got themselves fired, giving me a chance to move up a couple times fairly quickly. Currently I manage the inventory for a small chain of stores; I manage scheduling, intake processes, product compliance, etc and make $75k.

My issue is that I'm starting to feel stuck and I don't like the culture where I work. The management style of the owner and opps manager is impulsive and toxic. Some coworkers were let go recently for really stupid reasons and I feel like I should get out before I'm on the chopping block for something equally stupid. I've also learned and grown about as much as I can here. Most everything I've done here has been self-taught or came from trial and error. That said, I'm proud of the work me and my team have done as the company has grown. I feel that my lack of a degree (which was thankfully overlooked in weed and gave me the ability to prove myself) is a huge liability finding work outside the industry. Within the company I've moved as high as I can. I report to operations manager and they aren't going anywhere. I haven't really decided if I want to stay in cannabis or not.

So my main questions:

1. Am I threatening to piss away a good thing? This is the most money I've ever made and there's a part of me that feels like if I walk away it'll be hard to find something higher-paying if not the same.

2. I have a hodgepodge of credits I earned in community college. They're kind of all over the place but I believe I have enough to get my AA. Is there any point in doing that? Does an AA carry any real value beyond just being a stepping stool to your BA?

3. Instead of going back to school, I'm thinking about taking this certificate program (https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/project-management) and trying to transition to project management. I think I would enjoy it and I'm thinking it's a program that can help me whether I stay in my current industry or switch out. Am I right? Or is this something that you really need a project management or other degree to benefit from? Are these certificates in general a good band-aid if combined with experience?

Really I feel like I'm at a point that I need to evaluate where I am and think of my next move. Thank you for any input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

AquaticIguana posted:

Looking for some guidance.

I'm in my early 30s and work in legal cannabis as an inventory manager. I've been with the company for just over 5 years and have been in my current position for just shy of 4. I started as a budtender while taking a break from school. As it turns out, all the medical weed workers that switched to recreational were pretty bad at running a business and got themselves fired, giving me a chance to move up a couple times fairly quickly. Currently I manage the inventory for a small chain of stores; I manage scheduling, intake processes, product compliance, etc and make $75k.

My issue is that I'm starting to feel stuck and I don't like the culture where I work. The management style of the owner and opps manager is impulsive and toxic. Some coworkers were let go recently for really stupid reasons and I feel like I should get out before I'm on the chopping block for something equally stupid. I've also learned and grown about as much as I can here. Most everything I've done here has been self-taught or came from trial and error. That said, I'm proud of the work me and my team have done as the company has grown. I feel that my lack of a degree (which was thankfully overlooked in weed and gave me the ability to prove myself) is a huge liability finding work outside the industry. Within the company I've moved as high as I can. I report to operations manager and they aren't going anywhere. I haven't really decided if I want to stay in cannabis or not.

So my main questions:

1. Am I threatening to piss away a good thing? This is the most money I've ever made and there's a part of me that feels like if I walk away it'll be hard to find something higher-paying if not the same.

2. I have a hodgepodge of credits I earned in community college. They're kind of all over the place but I believe I have enough to get my AA. Is there any point in doing that? Does an AA carry any real value beyond just being a stepping stool to your BA?

3. Instead of going back to school, I'm thinking about taking this certificate program (https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/project-management) and trying to transition to project management. I think I would enjoy it and I'm thinking it's a program that can help me whether I stay in my current industry or switch out. Am I right? Or is this something that you really need a project management or other degree to benefit from? Are these certificates in general a good band-aid if combined with experience?

Really I feel like I'm at a point that I need to evaluate where I am and think of my next move. Thank you for any input!
How do you feel about supply chain? We have product category managers that kinda do what you're describing, make similar salaries, and don't really have degree requirements. The AA will do less than you than your 5 years of experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you ever decide to do a bachelor's, it'll be easier to transfer credits with an AA than it will be to transfer the same credits without one. It's definitely worth looking into.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

How do you feel about supply chain? We have product category managers that kinda do what you're describing, make similar salaries, and don't really have degree requirements. The AA will do less than you than your 5 years of experience.

I'll look into it! Seems like it would definitely play to my experience.

ultrafilter posted:

If you ever decide to do a bachelor's, it'll be easier to transfer credits with an AA than it will be to transfer the same credits without one. It's definitely worth looking into.

Got it. I mean if it's no skin off my nose and I already have the credits so I may as well finish the process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you have probably hit your earnings ceiling in supply chain without a bachelors degree

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you have probably hit your earnings ceiling in supply chain without a bachelors degree

That's what I've been worrying about and why I'm considering the project management certification (or similar cert).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AquaticIguana posted:

That's what I've been worrying about and why I'm considering the project management certification (or similar cert).

no cert will be as useful as a bachelor's

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no cert will be as useful as a bachelor's
Yeah, the career path is probably BS->PMP->MBA paid for by the company.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, the career path is probably BS->PMP->MBA paid for by the company.

I was a really lazy/uninspired college student and came out with a degree (management information systems) in something I know very little about, and do not care much for. Should I continue with a new bachelors at 28 years old, or try to make my current degree land me a job with little to no experience? I've had odd jobs in the past, but all terrible minimum wage jobs, I've never had a salaried position or anything that would be considered a professional job. My degree mostly is for people who want to do programming/database management, and I don't think I'm cut out for that. The non technical side is data-analyst, and I don't really know how to do that either. Since I have no work experience/internships, to land a decent office job, what should I be considering at this stage in my life? Is going back to school the best option ,or is it likely if Ir keep applying for a job/any job in the hopes that my bachelor's degree will be enough to carry me through the door?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kneelbeforezog posted:

I was a really lazy/uninspired college student and came out with a degree (management information systems) in something I know very little about, and do not care much for. Should I continue with a new bachelors at 28 years old, or try to make my current degree land me a job with little to no experience? I've had odd jobs in the past, but all terrible minimum wage jobs, I've never had a salaried position or anything that would be considered a professional job. My degree mostly is for people who want to do programming/database management, and I don't think I'm cut out for that. The non technical side is data-analyst, and I don't really know how to do that either. Since I have no work experience/internships, to land a decent office job, what should I be considering at this stage in my life? Is going back to school the best option ,or is it likely if Ir keep applying for a job/any job in the hopes that my bachelor's degree will be enough to carry me through the door?

Well, you need to know what you want to do. Depending on that will depend on if school is the right choice.

Do you want to be a computer toucher? Don't go back to school, you can do a self-driven or bootcamp driven path in a bunch of different areas to get where you want to go. Do you want to do something non-technical like Sales or site management? Don't go back to school, you need to find the right places to get your foot in the door. Do you want to be a molecular biologist or something? Then yeah, you probably need to go back to school.

So, what direction do you want to go in? If you don't really know then I'm pretty sure you'll just end up 4 years from now making the same post but now you're 32 with 2 degrees and a minimum wage job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kneelbeforezog posted:

i feel pretty confident in recommending that you don't go back to school

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Lockback posted:

Well, you need to know what you want to do. Depending on that will depend on if school is the right choice.

Do you want to be a computer toucher? Don't go back to school, you can do a self-driven or bootcamp driven path in a bunch of different areas to get where you want to go. Do you want to do something non-technical like Sales or site management? Don't go back to school, you need to find the right places to get your foot in the door. Do you want to be a molecular biologist or something? Then yeah, you probably need to go back to school.

So, what direction do you want to go in? If you don't really know then I'm pretty sure you'll just end up 4 years from now making the same post but now you're 32 with 2 degrees and a minimum wage job.

I'd like to be a journalist who goes out and interviews people. Is there a thread for that in BFC? But I'd also take any job at this point as long as it pays the minimum for a college grad. I looked at USAgov jobs but most of those are military orientated or require me to travel to a new state, which I'd rather not do.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

kneelbeforezog posted:

I'd like to be a journalist who goes out and interviews people. Is there a thread for that in BFC? But I'd also take any job at this point as long as it pays the minimum for a college grad. I looked at USAgov jobs but most of those are military orientated or require me to travel to a new state, which I'd rather not do.

Bro I’d love to be a talk show host too and make 1m an episode. Maybe think more realistically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kneelbeforezog posted:

are you a good writer / interviewer?

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Vomik posted:

Bro I’d love to be a talk show host too and make 1m an episode. Maybe think more realistically

Okay, whats some realistic thinking for someone in my position? For example: not to go back to school and enroll in journalism but continue to try and get a job with my degree that I've done nothing with? I don't think Ill be able to land a job with my lovely business degree in any related field unless they only care that I have a 4 year degree, but I dont know what kind of job exists for that.

kneelbeforezog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 22, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what are you talking about there are a massive number of jobs where the entry requirement is four year nonspecific degree

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Not to pile on but an MIS or similar degree is very hireable. For technical jobs but people also slide into business analyst or product stuff. Customer facing positions in technical companies as well.

If it's a bad fit for desired roles or other issues, sure but on the spectrum of undergrad degrees, it's not a bad one.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you a good writer / interviewer?

This is one of the problems with "soft" skills.

I've always made the (sort of) joke about things like writing, analysis, reading comprehension, that both everyone thinks they do them well, and everyone says they do them well. There's not really a quick and obvious test for it. They are, to some degree, subjective.

I can say I am a good writer, and it is very difficult to quickly prove me wrong (or right). I can say I know how to build a suspension bridge that will support a certain weight of traffic, and it will very quickly become apparent that I'm full of poo poo.

I do not even think, however, that it is people lying. Everyone wants to believe they are good at basics like writing and reading comprehension. I'm wondering if there was ever an interview in the history of time where someone said, "Yeah, I'm not a good writer."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Lots of people say they aren't good writers. Maybe not so much in a job interview.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what are you talking about there are a massive number of jobs where the entry requirement is four year nonspecific degree

All the jobs i've seen either require strong technical skills which I don't have or experience in the field. Without that I don't think I'll be able to find a job and should probably just bite the bullet and start over in a new career, as someone said in this thread, in a soft-skill related field..like writing articles.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SlyFrog posted:

I can say I am a good writer, and it is very difficult to quickly prove me wrong (or right). I can say I know how to build a suspension bridge that will support a certain weight of traffic, and it will very quickly become apparent that I'm full of poo poo.

I do not even think, however, that it is people lying. Everyone wants to believe they are good at basics like writing and reading comprehension. I'm wondering if there was ever an interview in the history of time where someone said, "Yeah, I'm not a good writer."
You show you're a good writer by having a well-edited efficient resume that's easy to scan.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some jobs accept or ask for writing samples.

There are also people who pay for stuff like blog content or what not. It's not high paying exciting or prestigious but having some professional work can be leveraged in finding better jobs or proving ability.

It's also handy for showing you know something about a topic w/o the resume bullets. Especially if you have some level of traffic or others referencing your work.

I wrote for my own blog and then used that to get involved with a former company's white paper/insights writing. I did it again at a second shop. So, if asked, I can point to that stuff as proof I can write as a business skill.

I know a guy who writes an email newsletter as a side gig. He wants to publish a book and become an author, so he's trying build a fan base and prove commercial viability in order to grab the attention of a publisher.

Edit: most people I know say they are -not- good writers and very much avoid it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Thank you internet, for giving me what I knew you would.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not sure what thread might be the best place to ask this but here goes: I start my new job on Friday and I'm trying to fill out a lease application for a room so I'm closer to work. They're asking for proof of employment. Even though I haven't started yet would it be appropriate for me to ask my employer of they could provide me with some proof of employment so I can speed up the rental process?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not sure what thread might be the best place to ask this but here goes: I start my new job on Friday and I'm trying to fill out a lease application for a room so I'm closer to work. They're asking for proof of employment. Even though I haven't started yet would it be appropriate for me to ask my employer of they could provide me with some proof of employment so I can speed up the rental process?

You offer letter usually works. I never had a problem using it for this when changing jobs and moving cities.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, offer letter usually works but it's not inappropriate to ask your new boss if you need it. I've had a couple people in your same boat when/before they started, I never thought it was weird.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yup, when I moved to a different franchise in a restaurant (so no offer letter) moving states, the owner provided me a lil basic "yeah she's hired at x pay rate" letter for apartments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, it's all settled. My workplace got back to me and provided me the proof I needed.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

AquaticIguana posted:

I have a hodgepodge of credits I earned in community college. They're kind of all over the place but I believe I have enough to get my AA. Is there any point in doing that? Does an AA carry any real value beyond just being a stepping stool to your BA?

Something else to keep in mind is that college accreditation standards change over time and credit hours can expire or become nontransferable. An AA is an actual completed degree, no expiring credit to worry about, and as was mentioned already if you ever want to get a bachelors it's easier to transfer. You don't want to decide to go back to school in 10 years and find out you have to start from scratch.

And it just feels nice to finish it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ossipago posted:

Something else to keep in mind is that college accreditation standards change over time and credit hours can expire or become nontransferable. An AA is an actual completed degree, no expiring credit to worry about, and as was mentioned already if you ever want to get a bachelors it's easier to transfer. You don't want to decide to go back to school in 10 years and find out you have to start from scratch.

And it just feels nice to finish it.
Counterpoint: Nobody gives a poo poo about an AA 10 years later. If it's costly to get the AA now, it's better to just work and get relevant experience (and cash money, homey)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: Nobody gives a poo poo about an AA 10 years later. If it's costly to get the AA now, it's better to just work and get relevant experience (and cash money, homey)

If he has enough credits already it's like $75 bucks to submit for an Associates.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know but I strongly suspect that two-year degrees are going to be valued much more positively in the near future. It's not something to just dismiss.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know but I strongly suspect that two-year degrees are going to be valued much more positively in the near future. It's not something to just dismiss.

On what basis?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello thread, I could use your advice please! I've taken a role in an NGO which mostly involves health promotion/community engagement. It is under a pilot program funded by an external body. It's been going for two months and so far things are not going well - we are not getting client referrals into the program. My supervisor has expressed concern that the program may be defunded, which would result in my immediate unemployment. Personally, I am not enjoying the role as right now it's mostly doing marketing (which I don't enjoy doing) and working through online training courses to kill time. One of my colleagues doing the same job in another city resigned about a fortnight ago, as she wasn't liking the role. But the perks are that it's not stressful, the money is ok, I can work from home whenever I like and I'm not getting micromanaged. I'm tempted to just ride this slacker wave until my contract is terminated or expires in June.

However, I'm concerned about the potential impact this role might have on my resume/career if I just hang around doing very little for the next few months. What is going to look worse when applying for future roles - having a short term of employment on a resume or sticking around trying to something to work that ultimately fails?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sounds like you have an opportunity to get paid to learn more skills on company time.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Question for this thread. I'm in my early 30s, been in my position for 4 years now My current economic development government job is quite cushy. Low stress, good hours, good pay, a ton of independence and it's in a field where other government offices are often hiring for the same or similar skillsets.

There's a new boss though that's really a pain to work for. Not communicative, very hard to have an honest conversation with, but mostly she just shoots down potential work and replaces it with paperwork. This means I do even less and generally have started to feel like I'm languishing and bored now. This past year she also stopped me from moving up internally because she didn't want to lose a person from her office.

I've got a second round interview with another government agency, but it's in a much more niche area related to community development and engagement. Basically it's the person who would manage getting yelled at by insane, legitimately upset, and random members of the public in remote areas.

I'm strange, so that's actually appealing to me and sounds very-not-boring, but the job pays the same as my current one and the field of employment is much narrower than economic development. I'm anxious that if I jump ship though I'll be abandoning a good career field for a ton more work, travel, and stress at no pay premium and not be able to go back.

Edit: I can negotiate a bit of a wage bump. Maybe a 10k increase.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2019

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm in a very similar situation to you. I'm currently regretting switching roles. Maybe ride out the new boss and boredom for a little while and see what happens? This is the advice that I would like to be going back in time and giving to myself three months ago.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm in the UK at 27 years old and I've never had stable job. My work history has wide gaps in it on account of me making poor life choices. My parents will let me live in their house so I was able to quit my jobs when depression set in, and now I've got a CV that reads like "I'm a whiny crybaby who can't handle hard work and will quit at a moment's notice". I need to man the gently caress up and pull myself out of this, and I'm currently getting treatment for my depression, so I thought I'd get some second opinions. Where to go from here?

I don't have much in terms of education. I have experience in factory work and on construction sites and in admin and in retail, but none of it for a very long time. I live in Lincolnshire which is far from civilisation. I have a dietary condition which bars me from military service and most companies of the merchant navy. Is there somewhere to look for a future that isn't grinding the factory for minimum wage forever?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I work at a large, fast-growing tech company. Not American.

Last couple of years I was a department head, reporting to the CFO in HQ. In Q3 I was sent to our biggest overseas market to learn operations, as part of a supposed promotion to just-below-C-suite, to come at the end of a 6-9 month learning period in ops. Pretty sweet.

I’m now back home for Xmas and am hearing my learning period, now a few months in, may get cut short. It is (I think) fairly obvious that my promotion isn’t coming any time soon, and I’ll probably have to do my time in one of our overseas postings and build more of a support base among my peers (who are also my competitors!) before that’s a realistic outcome.

At the CFO’s urging I have talked to all our country GMs about their teams’ needs in the near term. It looks like I have the following options:

* Join launch team in a new country with no fixed role. High risk, possibly high reward - it’s potentially a big market.

* Join team in an established country to run a regional P&L there. Will bring me into conflict with local leadership team who understandably want to have patronage over their own people. Small market.

* Take a nice safe comfortable department head role again and just do that until all my options vest and/or we IPO. Low stress and nice lifestyle, but pass up the opportunity for a big win.

Most things here are ahead of my personal BATNA, and compensation and benefits are fine for me. So this is a maximisation question.

Specifically, for the thread:

1. Is it even worth trying to influence this, or should I accept I can’t and the decision will be made for me? In other words, is the only winning move not to play (and then to do the best I can with whatever I’m assigned to do)?

2. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of the 3 options? Bearing in mind that I can’t really give more detail than I have done without doxxing myself.

[Fakedit: moved from general Corp thread when I remembered this one existed].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm in the UK at 27 years old and I've never had stable job. My work history has wide gaps in it on account of me making poor life choices. My parents will let me live in their house so I was able to quit my jobs when depression set in, and now I've got a CV that reads like "I'm a whiny crybaby who can't handle hard work and will quit at a moment's notice". I need to man the gently caress up and pull myself out of this, and I'm currently getting treatment for my depression, so I thought I'd get some second opinions. Where to go from here?

I don't have much in terms of education. I have experience in factory work and on construction sites and in admin and in retail, but none of it for a very long time. I live in Lincolnshire which is far from civilisation. I have a dietary condition which bars me from military service and most companies of the merchant navy. Is there somewhere to look for a future that isn't grinding the factory for minimum wage forever?

Having seen your output in UKMT, you are a good writer and an excellent political cartoonist. Both of these skill sets offer opportunities to make a little money on the side doing cultural work - writing, drawing, editing and so on. At any given time there are hundreds of trade journals and on and off-line publications that need piece work done, and you’ve got the entire English-speaking world to draw from.

If you want to be more ambitious, you clearly have the talent to create a portfolio of art and could try to find gigs that way. Alternatively, there’s always building a following using a
webcomic or blog, but that’s only valuable from a career perspective if you can go all in on it, promoting it as much as you can until it makes it, and the odds of success aren’t great.

A second option would be to look at marketing. Everywhere I have worked has constantly needed junior marketing people who can think and write. Being able to draw as well is a big plus. Entry and junior level roles are advertised online and via LinkedIn - you can try looking at local businesses in the north of England first or cast your net wider. However, bear in mind that these kind of jobs tend to be 9-7 office jobs where people generally notice reliability and keeping your head down more than raw talent. The payoff if you can lump it is that it gets you back into the career mainstream.

Finally you could just roll the dice and apply for a bunch of random jobs from company websites. I wouldn’t discount this approach: if you can do a decent cover letter and come up with a plausible sounding reason you haven’t had a fixed job before now, you might find something that works and discover you have a talent for being a change manager or stakeholder engagement specialist or sales engineer or w/e. You’re probably good at a bunch of things you don’t think of as strengths right now is my point.