Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bored As gently caress posted:

Then wouldn't it be APAB (All Posters Are Bastards) by your logic?

Are you saying there are good posters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

colachute posted:

TFR is talking about buying up ARs and storing other people’s’ ARs for them because of the Virginia elections lol

I saw a wonderful way to make money doing nothing dont be hating lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Could've been a decent discussion but it devolved pretty quickly thanks to a few posters making GBS threads up the thread.

Good thing we don't have this problem.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah when someone came in saying hating the cops was the same as rascism it went south very quickly

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And saying that the real victim of police bullying people is those poor police who have it so hard that they have to bully people.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I watched Money Talks last night and there’s a scene at a bar where two cops recognize Chris Tucker who is wanted for murder and the two cops proceed to shoot up the bar while Chris Tucker is unarmed and running away and I’m thinking “this is what a lot of people think being a cop is like and is why they want to be cops.”

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

colachute posted:

I watched Money Talks last night and there’s a scene at a bar where two cops recognize Chris Tucker who is wanted for murder and the two cops proceed to shoot up the bar while Chris Tucker is unarmed and running away and I’m thinking “this is what a lot of people think being a cop is like and is why they want to be cops.”

It's more "this is what a lot of people think cops do and therefore ACAB."

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

And saying that the real victim of police bullying people is those poor police who have it so hard that they have to bully people.

That's a mischaracterization in my mind. I think he was saying that cops are bullied, too, and that it's not exactly easy dealing with all of the hate and distrust and hostility from people. Yeah, we do have to just suck it up and deal with it. That's the situation, and if you signed up since this anti cop thing started going widespread, you knew what you were getting into. But even so, it is grating, discouraging, and frustrating to deal with when you're just trying to do your job or put away bad people.

Stravag posted:

Yeah when someone came in saying hating the cops was the same as rascism it went south very quickly

Yeah that was a lovely post, and not at comparable.

But other than that post, I think it could've gone somewhere other than completely downhill.

It's clearly not going to happen in this post given all the sarcasm and shitposting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That's a mischaracterization in my mind. I think he was saying that cops are bullied, too, and that it's not exactly easy dealing with all of the hate and distrust and hostility from people. Yeah, we do have to just suck it up and deal with it. That's the situation, and if you signed up since this anti cop thing started going widespread, you knew what you were getting into. But even so, it is grating, discouraging, and frustrating to deal with when you're just trying to do your job or put away bad people.

No, this is revisionist or confused. He directly told someone who was threatened and lied to by cops that it was no big deal and made sure repeatedly to say "if" the poster wasn't lying, then it was not a useful tactic of the police, but really only because they had the wrong person.

quote:

If you weren’t part of it you weren’t part of it. It’s understandable to be shaken up by that sort of interview, but I would hope you also understand where those cops were coming from, regardless of the misguided direction they took.

They were attempting to bring to justice someone who had taken a life in a cowardly and selfish manner. It’s a serious responsibility that can weigh heavily on a person. Those guys actually gave a poo poo about the victim and I hope if I, or anyone I know, is ever unjustly killed the people working the case will care.

This was the third post in a row that went out of its way to open the door to the possibility that the non-cop poster was just lying about their innocence.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 8, 2019

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

colachute posted:

lol

jesus christ

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

No, this is revisionist or confused. He directly told someone who was threatened and lied to by cops that it was no big deal and made sure repeatedly to say "if" the poster wasn't lying, then it was not a useful tactic of the police, but really only because they had the wrong person.

Okay, I didn't know that that post / that group of posts is what you were referring to.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Do you ever stop to think that maybe if cops were acting ethically and with the right priorities more often than not, they wouldn’t need you to constantly defend them, or does that never occur to you?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

Do you ever stop to think that maybe if cops were acting ethically and with the right priorities more often than not, they wouldn’t need you to constantly defend them, or does that never occur to you?

Police, behaving questionably, in my country?! Never!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

I believe that they do in fact act ethically "more often than not." I think that when you get right down to it, that is going to be the fundamental disagreement between us, and I honestly don't know if we can bridge that gap.

Take a look at https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6406

In 2015 there were 53 MILLION police interactions with the public in 2015. African Americans alone had 6,146,400 interactions with police in 2015 (a little more than half were police initiated, the rest were initiated by the resident, or were traffic accidents).

I think that because of the rise in social media and because of the existence of the 24 hour news cycle, the few unjustified killings of unarmed or armed individuals (who were supposedly not a threatis overinflated or overestimated in people's minds), the occurence of these events seem to be more pervasive than they really are*. It's the same thing with mass shootings - because the media focuses so much on it and breathlessly covers the topic for weeks, people believe the occurence of mass shootings are much higher than they are in reality.** These huge news stories of these individuals who get killed last weeks, months, or longer. But that's because they're rare - they're not endemic.

Most people aren't happy to get pulled over. People aren't happy when they're in circumstances where they need the police. But I believe that most police interactions are conducted professionally and done ethically. I think the War on Drugs has (probably irreparably) hurt not only police and community relations, but also the U.S. as a whole.

Until we have true federal oversight of all local and state agencies, we're not going to have enough reporting, accountability, and oversight into those agencies.

* This does NOT excuse the cases where charges should have been brought and the rear end in a top hat murderer got away with it. I'm saying that those are very few relative to the amount of police interactions. It's also very few relative to the amount of people killed by LEOs every year.

** Some reading on that topic - Have we become too paranoid about mass shootings?
https://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/article/Have-we-become-too-paranoid-about-mass-shootings-14552461.php
- Gallup: Almost Half in US Fear Being in a Mass Shooting
https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/932010?section=newsfront&keywords=gallup-poll-us&year=2019&month=09&date=10&id=932010
- Living in a Time of Twitter and Mass Murder in the U.S.
https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/living-time-twitter-and-mass-murder-us

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 9, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Internet Wizard posted:

Cool. What’s your hot take on what GWS is up to these days?

We're making soup. Come make soup with us.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

colachute posted:

Yo, you too? Lmfao hahahahahahha

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I need some help figuring out how homicide investigation works in a big city like NYC or LA. From what I've read, each borough has a homicide squad that works together with a precinct detective squad. But what is a precinct detective squad? Are there homicide detectives in the precinct squad? Also I'm curious about the number of people involved. One source I found said e.g. Manhattan South Homicide Squad has 10 people, whereas Brooklyn North something like 17. If you got less than 20 people covering a borough, I'm not sure about the size or resources a single precinct has for homicide cases.

e: this is the cop thread, right

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What, are you wanting to murder someone and looking for tips to get away with it?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What, are you wanting to murder someone and looking for tips to get away with it?

yeah I'm just looking for the most understaffed precinct in America.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Probably Brooklyn 99

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mike12345 posted:

New York City Jail

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blandford, MA.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chichevache posted:

New York City Jail

NYC department of corrections now has more employees than prisoners

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh look collective action

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Huh so there is an issue that cops are willing to take a stand on. Too bad its not one involving actually doing their jobs and protecting the public but it's to be expected

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Jack posted:

NYC department of corrections now has more employees than prisoners

Well wherever Epstein killed himself.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chichevache posted:

Well wherever Epstein killed himself.

Federal lockup.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stravag posted:

Huh so there is an issue that cops are willing to take a stand on. Too bad its not one involving actually doing their jobs and protecting the public but it's to be expected

I find it more ironic for all police culture's lip service to selflessness, that the police chose to not be police anymore when there was no money in it.

I don't blame them really.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mike12345 posted:

I need some help figuring out how homicide investigation works in a big city like NYC or LA. From what I've read, each borough has a homicide squad that works together with a precinct detective squad. But what is a precinct detective squad? Are there homicide detectives in the precinct squad? Also I'm curious about the number of people involved. One source I found said e.g. Manhattan South Homicide Squad has 10 people, whereas Brooklyn North something like 17. If you got less than 20 people covering a borough, I'm not sure about the size or resources a single precinct has for homicide cases.

e: this is the cop thread, right

In the US at least detectives are sort of a parallel track cops choose to specialize in investigation or a specific skillset rather than move into management and supervisory roles. I'm assuming in a large department each precinct has a detective squad since the ability of patrol cops to investigate and know the law for more complicated crimes is limited. These lower level Detectives could still be investigating petty crimes or whatever. Really large departments have further squads of detectives that have a wider geographical purview but a more narrow focus on specific types of crimes that require a lot more skill due to importance like homicide and difficulty in prosecuting like abuse/sex crimes. But the precinct detectives are probably not quite that specialized. I would imagine in most places the more specialized "elite" squads recruit from precinct detectives.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If you're interested in True Crime genre, and interested at all in how detectives do their work, I really like Small Town Dicks, a podcast about detectives in small towns that investigate everything from robberies to rapes and murders. It's really interesting. You can tell the tough cases weigh on their minds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I find it more ironic for all police culture's lip service to selflessness, that the police chose to not be police anymore when there was no money in it.

I don't blame them really.

That's a weird take, since the article pretty clearly listed fundamental safety shortfalls alongside near-walmart wages.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This guy is hilarious. And he gives great advice. He's like a smart Tobias Fünke, only he's an attorney, and competent.

https://youtu.be/iDVijIyr6xs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pick posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

If this isn't unnerving, I don't know what is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

They're both shitheads and I feel terrible for the child.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1194839372832628736

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddamn i knew dwb was a thing but i never knew ewb was a crime

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

Goddamn i knew dwb was a thing but i never knew ewb was a crime

You see it’s illegal to eat or drink inside a bart station.

Some bart stations have food vendors past the turnstiles.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

hobbesmaster posted:

You see it’s illegal to eat or drink inside a bart station.

Some bart stations have food vendors past the turnstiles.

Also known as posession with intent to distribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dumb rear end rentacop.