Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

this flu is nasty as gently caress, as of just now I'm down 10 pounds from when it started a week ago.

..... admittedly i have very mixed feelings about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Cool, that's good to know, will try to catch it in theaters. Definitely looks like the kind of film that you want a theater sound system for.

I went and saw it last night. Neat visual effects, and overall not a bad movie. Don't expect any great story, but I enjoyed it.

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
Bringing this onto the next page. I jumped off the fence myself:

slothrop posted:

Thank you for bringing this up!

I’m going to extend the deadline to Wednesday day, as I’m in the middle of moving house and haven’t pushed this amazing event enough.

So please, if you’re on the fence, or just got busy and forgot:

:siren:Register for AI:SS :siren:

I’m phone posting, can someone please link the thread below!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903165

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 18, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

I went and saw it last night. Neat visual effects, and overall not a bad movie. Don't expect any great story, but I enjoyed it.

Lol it's what actually happened whether or not you think it's a great story, it's an accurate movie about an actual event :shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tremek posted:

Vacation in the US is definitely uneven. The bulk of the software company jobs I’ve had for the last decade have run the “unlimited PTO” thing which of course is a scam; you’re not seeing PTO accumulate on your pay stubs, they don’t have to pay out PTO when an employee leaves, and startups generally have a work-real-hard culture and people often don’t take much PTO.

With that said I’m on base + commission now which changes that whole dynamic a lot. Ahead of your number? Do what you want. Behind? Don’t take too much time away. Definitely a different gig.

Imperador, I’m not entirely sure what you do but I have to think someone or something can definitely cover for you long enough to take meaningful time off. Nevertheless you gotta make sure to take time away.

/written from the 6th flight of this week, ugh

Yeah, unlimited PTO is a crock of poo poo. 'Take as much time as you want off, but your team is going to resent you for not being there to help...'

I'm in the tech industry, and have to go to an effort to make my guys take their use or lose time off sometimes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 18, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fender Anarchist posted:

this flu is nasty as gently caress, as of just now I'm down 10 pounds from when it started a week ago.

..... admittedly i have very mixed feelings about this.

BTDT, had the same sentiment.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol it's what actually happened whether or not you think it's a great story, it's an accurate movie about an actual event :shrug:

I phrased that wrong. The historical story was there, but the "character development" lines they threw in didn't add much. I meant more that you should expect a movie focused on the fight, with some neat special effects.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So Good Dept Manager (GDM) is out on medical leave (getting two discs fused, so he's out for a good bit). There's a rumor that every time he leaves, and rear end in a top hat Dept Manager (ADM) takes over, at least 1 overnight person quits/walks out - even if it's just them swapping shifts for a few weeks.

Last time, 1 person walked out (though he had 1 foot out the door already). This time, one has already walked out (he put in his 2 weeks, then walked out in the middle of his shift), and the frozen lead had a massive meltdown right before he went on vacation (this is a guy who normally doesn't show emotion, he was on the verge of tears). Several people think we won't see him again. We'll know Monday, I guess. 2 other long-time overnighters (out of 4 store veterans left on overnights) are also talking about transferring at the least. One is at the max pay for his position ($20+/hr), and knows he won't find the same money for a similar job elsewhere, so he's trying to transfer. The other has been with the company for 5 years, but with the store (and this position) for only 1 year, so he's not making much more than I am.

I'm already dusting off my resume. I'm on ADM's poo poo list, so I know once the holidays are over, I'll be one of the first to get my hours cut. GDM won't be back until January, at the earliest. I'm not going to walk out, but I'm going to look into transferring departments or stores, while also looking for a job elsewhere (another dept manager knows I want out of grocery; I've helped out in his dept before, he knows I'm good, he said he'll let me know if anything opens up). I'd prefer to keep working for this company, but if ADM (the one who hired me) doesn't officially give me full time status, even though it was promised, then I'm off to a place that can actually give me full time status.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

me (the 3 month old new hire) was just forced to enter a tenure based shift bid when the department hours got changed. naturally i got saddled with the dumbest poo poo ever; 3:30p to midnight weds thurs off. I'm loving livid. me (the 3 month old new hire) was also the only person on the team to make bonus so that seems cool and fair. :rolleyes: honestly what loving leadership thinks its ok to put a new hire in a tenure based shift bid?

the work is brain dead simple so im not sure what these chucklefucks find so hard. the only 2 measures were no negative peer reviews (which are thankfully vetted) and one touch resolution on client requests. that's it. you get extra money for being nice to other people in the office and not loving up tickets. yes, lets get the bitch shift to the only guy that managed to not gently caress up those two things in the first 3 loving months.

unreal

I mean... I LIKE having my days off in the middle of the week, and that would be my ideal shift. But I've worked retail/food service way too long.

But I'm also old; I don't go out and party much, and having days off in the middle of the week means I can actually do errands, go to movies, etc without places being too crowded.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I used to work four 10-hour shifts with Wednesdays off, and not only did it give me a day to run errands, it broke the work week up into two 2-day weeks.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

So Good Dept Manager (GDM) is out on medical leave (getting two discs fused, so he's out for a good bit). There's a rumor that every time he leaves, and rear end in a top hat Dept Manager (ADM) takes over, at least 1 overnight person quits/walks out - even if it's just them swapping shifts for a few weeks.

Last time, 1 person walked out (though he had 1 foot out the door already). This time, one has already walked out (he put in his 2 weeks, then walked out in the middle of his shift), and the frozen lead had a massive meltdown right before he went on vacation (this is a guy who normally doesn't show emotion, he was on the verge of tears). Several people think we won't see him again. We'll know Monday, I guess. 2 other long-time overnighters (out of 4 store veterans left on overnights) are also talking about transferring at the least. One is at the max pay for his position ($20+/hr), and knows he won't find the same money for a similar job elsewhere, so he's trying to transfer. The other has been with the company for 5 years, but with the store (and this position) for only 1 year, so he's not making much more than I am.

I'm already dusting off my resume. I'm on ADM's poo poo list, so I know once the holidays are over, I'll be one of the first to get my hours cut. GDM won't be back until January, at the earliest. I'm not going to walk out, but I'm going to look into transferring departments or stores, while also looking for a job elsewhere (another dept manager knows I want out of grocery; I've helped out in his dept before, he knows I'm good, he said he'll let me know if anything opens up). I'd prefer to keep working for this company, but if ADM (the one who hired me) doesn't officially give me full time status, even though it was promised, then I'm off to a place that can actually give me full time status.

I mean... I LIKE having my days off in the middle of the week, and that would be my ideal shift. But I've worked retail/food service way too long.

But I'm also old; I don't go out and party much, and having days off in the middle of the week means I can actually do errands, go to movies, etc without places being too crowded.

I mean this as a compliment: I think you can do way better than stocking retail shelves. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darnit, we're at 3.6% unemployment.

Why not IT work or somesuch? Help desk etc?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tremek posted:

... and gosh darnit, we're at 3.6% unemployment. ...
100% agree on the rest, but :lol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I don't need color, we definitely do prefer color when printing out documents with graphs and colors in general though. Granted, only 1/4 our documents have any color on them at all, but it's kind of nice. When you say uses 4x the consumables, are you saying that even when printing grey scale they use 4x the consumables or just in general assuming you print color?

Just "in general" - you have four toners, four drums, and a whole bunch of hardware that only exists to transport paper between all the colors. They don't do the bullshit about using color all the time like inkjets do, but it's just a lot of additional poo poo.

Mine was the HL3040CN and quite frankly I was never all that happy with it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

I mean this as a compliment: I think you can do way better than stocking retail shelves. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darnit, we're at 3.6% unemployment.

Why not IT work or somesuch? Help desk etc?

Because $32k (before overtime) is pretty drat good to throw poo poo on shelves. With overtime it's quite a bit more - if I'd worked for them the whole year, I'd probably be closer to $45k (I know that doesn't seem like a lot to some people, but for a college dropout that's worked mostly food service and retail, in a city with a pretty average cost of living compared to most large cities, it's not bad). Benefits are excellent once you make full time (which will happen automatically after I hit 1500 hours if I'm averaging over 32/hrs a week... most weeks I work over 40, I just want it sooner), and even part timers get perks like employee stock (it's a private company, but employees get dividends yearly that usually wind up being 4 figures), free vacation cabins in the Texas hill country ($50 damage deposit that's fully refundable, otherwise they're free), we have our own credit union, the typical employee discount program for stuff like mortgages, cell phone service, car rental, etc. The company has been on the Forbes best company to work for list for a long time, and they're #1 on indeed.com's best retailers to work for list this year,, and they're not going anywhere soon - they've been around since 1905. I was holding off on mentioning what company I work for for quite awhile after the forums drama when I got rehired at Whole Foods, but I haven't mentioned which location, or even which city, the store I work at is in, even on FB... I don't even mention the suburb I live in online after that.

Also, I can say I work for Butts. :v: I just happened to wind up under one of the worst department managers in the company (he's really more of an asst dept manager, but he passes himself off as THE department manager, and claims the actual department manager is his assistant :rolleyes:). We have our own sub-reddit (yeah yeah I know, reddit), and from talking to others on there, he's.... very well known, and not in a good way.

I'd go back to helldesk, but my IT skills are severely outdated (and entry level helldesk doesn't pay as much as what I make now). My hearing is at the point that during my last helldesk job, I had to keep the headset amp cranked up to 11 (and still constantly had to ask people to repeat themselves), I have a lisp from broken teeth too. And for some hosed up reason, I actually like working retail. Particularly overnights - I get a good workout while the store is closed, and once the store opens again, I enjoy helping customers. I've been in grocery retail long enough (on top of being a shopper for Instacart and Shipt occasionally) that I know how to handle some rather specific dietary needs or requests; there's already a couple of reviews of my store on Yelp mentioning me by name, and there's been several compliments sent to corporate about me being knowledgeable about this stuff (mostly thanks to working at Whole Foods for several years).

It kinda runs in the family too; outside of when my stepdad owned a carpet cleaning company, he's always worked in grocery or drug store retail. He's currently a store manager for a drugstore chain, and plans to retire from there (he has ~20 years with them now, and he's in his late 60s). Mom has worked mostly retail in some form or fashion (mostly furniture), except when stepdad had his company. She's currently the accountant for a furniture store, but handles a lot of sales. Her father owned a bunch of new car dealerships until his death (I think he had a Cadillac, Oldsmobile+Dodge, Nissan, and Chevrolet/Geo lot when he died... maybe a Saturn lot at one time, plus several others at various other points), which is ultimately still taking money from the public

tl;dr I tried IT, got burned out in a hurry, too old to want to learn new tricks. Also don't want to get fat (again) behind a desk, I like being on the move constantly. If anything, I'd probably try to pick up a job with a retail distributor, such as Frito-Lay or Pepsico. I've had a couple of our distributor reps tell me to let them know when I want to make better money. One of my coworkers got hired by Frito-Lay, but failed the DOT physical (poorly controlled diabetes, his A1c is double digits), and told me he was offered ~$60k/yr before bonuses. You don't need a CDL for those trucks, but the company wants you to pass a DOT physical anyway. That wouldn't be a problem for me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 18, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

I phrased that wrong. The historical story was there, but the "character development" lines they threw in didn't add much. I meant more that you should expect a movie focused on the fight, with some neat special effects.

Ok, gotcha. Yeah Hollywood took some liberties with the dialogue that's to be expected, but i was honestly impressed at how accurate they kept everything, down to the details of the intelligence and the battle and didn't add anything unnecessary to make it more of an action movie or something.

I'd say it's right up there with Dunkirk, some may say it's a bit slow in areas but it stays true to the facts for the most part and is highly entertaining.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, unlimited PTO is a crock of poo poo. 'Take as much time as you want off, but your team is going to resent you for not being there to help...'

I'm in the tech industry, and have to go to an effort to make my guys take their use or lose time off sometimes.

Honestly, using a certain part of your vacation every year should be mandatory. It would reduce resentment against people that use it and would be good for the mental and physical health of the people who think they can't take a day off work. Working 80 hours a week your years on end is actually bad for productivity.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't have a set amount of time off, just have to bill enough hours by the end of the year, but what drives me crazy is at my office the only "acceptable" reason to take time off is to go on vacation somewhere. I could just take a Monday off for the hell of it to catch up on chores, but do that every other month and people would be talking about it. Want to go travel around Asia for 3 weeks? No problem.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't have a set amount of time off, just have to bill enough hours by the end of the year, but what drives me crazy is at my office the only "acceptable" reason to take time off is to go on vacation somewhere. I could just take a Monday off for the hell of it to catch up on chores, but do that every other month and people would be talking about it. Want to go travel around Asia for 3 weeks? No problem.

Lie and tell them you're doing a long weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Or better yet, don't give a poo poo what others think, gently caress 'em.

I burn all of my vacation, each year, every year. No manager is ever going to thank you for not taking it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Krakkles posted:

100% agree on the rest, but :lol:

I work in an industry that literally has hundreds of thousands of vacant reqs that there simply aren't people to hire into them, but corporations list those positions regardless because they desperately need people in those roles and they're not easily automated.

We're no longer living on a planet where you can pick a job/occupation/career and just by virtue of sticking with it always expect to find work in it.

Especially with automation making people redundant at jobs that are either complicated but very rules-driven (law, OTR trucking, property appraisal, data entry, and yes - even stocking shelves, to name a few) it's in all of our long-term best interests to cast an uncomfortable gaze to what we do today - and what we're going to be doing in 10, 20, or 30 years - and aim high.

STR: $32k is barely above the poverty line, and the single-digit profit margin corporation you're working for today is ceaselessly looking for ways to make you redundant. Some people might get mad at me for saying this but you're underachieving and you really should aim your sights higher. For example, if you like being on the move, go get a job as a UPS truck driver. 5-10 years in the role and you can make six figures in the right markets.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 18, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mustang Mach-E

Is that like paper mache?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

STR posted:

i should clarify, i like having weekdays off too. errands are easy and there's nobody out on the trails on a Tuesday morning. etc etc. the problem is that my gf moved mountains to get the same days off as me when i switched to this job. and now she's super AM, im super PM and no days off line up. im so pissed about this i can't even see straight.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had a manager who built up so much vacation time that he was going to lose it, and the company actually cared enough to insist that he took it. So he arranged to take off every friday at noon, and work 36 hour weeks until his vacation was used up. Pretty sweet deal, and he liked it. The sad irony is that just kept vacation accrual at bay, it didn't really use it up because he was only burning 26 days a year that way. He was earning 20 each year plus 4 flex days due to being a 10+ year employee.

4 weeks of PTO would be perfect for me. I'd take 3 full week vacations visiting friends and new places, and burn the rest on 3-4 day weekends. Right now I take 2 full week vacations and build up comp time so that I can take 4 day weekends when friends come to visit.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 18, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Tremek posted:

the single-digit profit margin corporation you're working for today is ceaselessly looking for ways to make you redundant

I mean, my company had a 21% profit margin last year and we still cut down constantly on the workforce. If you're not a 1%-er the system *will* poo poo on you again and again, despite you doing all it asks of you and more.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I mean, my company had a 21% profit margin last year and we still cut down constantly on the workforce. If you're not a 1%-er the system *will* poo poo on you again and again, despite you doing all it asks of you and more.
Which is basically what I was getting at. I agree completely with "aim as high as possible", I just think "lol it's basically no unemployment" fails to recognize that it's not just about how hard you try or what you aim at - there's a considerable amount of good fortune required, as well, particularly in the form of "the whims of large corporations".

(That, and I find it hilariously stupid that under :obama: everyone was all "THEY'RE LYING ABOUT UNEMPLOYMENT", under :trumpsmug: it's "hey unemployment is super low everything is perfect", when, in fact, both administrations certainly report what they want, and the general experience of the populace is "your services are no longer required", likely under both administrations and certainly under this one.)

Given how many people I'm aware of at basically every company I interact directly with that have been laid off for nothing to do with performance in recent memory, I'd love to be able to point them to "hundreds of thousands of vacant (positions)".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hundreds of thousands of $60k jobs I'm sure.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just finished watching Climbkhana 2. The noise. The road. The driver. :allbuttons:

God bless KB43

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Hundreds of thousands of $60k jobs I'm sure.

https://www.mondo.com/blog-highest-paid-cybersecurity-jobs/

Those top jobs range from $80-$210k. Security engineers and data scientist open reqs just in the US measure in the millions:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/06/cybersecurity-expert-shortage-may-cost-companies-hundreds-of-millions.html

Also apparently these are also legit good jobs to have in a new field:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2019/01/23/data-scientist-leads-50-best-jobs-in-america-for-2019-according-to-glassdoor/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

meatpimp posted:

Mustang Mach-E

Is that like paper mache?

It looks like a 90's Escort.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao i am pretty sure i snapped a shift cable in my mr2 on the way in to work tonight gently caress everything

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao i am pretty sure i snapped a shift cable in my mr2 on the way in to work tonight gently caress everything

Granny shifting not double clutching like you should

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my god oh my god. Just got back from a safari vacation in Africa and I want a beat to poo poo Land Cruiser with 250k kilometers with a turbodiesel, 5-speed, and 2 fuel tanks. I don't care that it's going to spend its time driving around the suburbs.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Can we get Powershift to fire up Photoshop? My MS Paint skills are... lacking, and the BMW thread needs some avatar help - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&pagenumber=1044#post500103642

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

STR: $32k is barely above the poverty line, and the single-digit profit margin corporation you're working for today is ceaselessly looking for ways to make you redundant. Some people might get mad at me for saying this but you're underachieving and you really should aim your sights higher. For example, if you like being on the move, go get a job as a UPS truck driver. 5-10 years in the role and you can make six figures in the right markets.

The official poverty line right now is $12,490; $32k is a bit tight to live on - alone - in my area without roommates, but not impossible (and I don't live alone). I'm also not rehireable at UPS; even if I was, they very rarely hire outside drivers; almost everyone started as a loader, unloader, or sorter. I'm too old to deal with that kind of labor, especially for $10/hr. I've worked for UPS twice, and both times wound up walking out over the lovely management and grueling workload. Somehow I was rehireable after the first time, but I was in the union the first go-round. The second time I was brought in for the holidays, and wasn't eligible for union membership.

And my goal isn't to stay on overnights forever (though max pay for overnight is over $20/hr, with plenty of OT available due to the constant turnover). I do want to move up within the company; department managers pull close to 6 figures before bonuses. Administrative roles pull some decent cash as well.

The short version is I like retail, and the company I work for happens to be one of the best paying ones in grocery. But you nailed it on the single digit profit margin; grocery has razor thin profit margins, and the amount of poo poo we have to throw out (mostly due to being damaged during shipment) is jaw-dropping.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i should clarify, i like having weekdays off too. errands are easy and there's nobody out on the trails on a Tuesday morning. etc etc. the problem is that my gf moved mountains to get the same days off as me when i switched to this job. and now she's super AM, im super PM and no days off line up. im so pissed about this i can't even see straight.

Oh. Yeah, in that case, I can see why you'd be upset. My days off have been Tue and Wed lately, but my normal work schedule is 11:45pm to :airquote:8:15am:airquote: (translation: when we're finished). I was supposed to be on 8pm-4:30am, but rear end in a top hat boss decided I'd be a better fit for the second crew... which is interfering with my other job. GF works 5am-2pm Mon-Fri; as she puts it, we're two ships passing in the night. (also I get kicked out of bed at 10pm when she goes to bed... get to go sleep for an hour on the couch :argh:).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Happy Tuesday my dudes.

STR, have you considered a job at Starbucks?
You are the type of person I would like to see first thing in the morning, and start my day off with... no homo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, go look in the retail thread to see what working at starbucks is like. It might pay for crap, but the parts store retail experience is cake compared to that bullshit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Starbucks would make a lot of my transition related expenses go away real quick and I'm still terrified to even consider it, and that's as someone who's been unemployed a year and a half since graduating. that poo poo is ROUGH and I'm not the same girl i was when i was a dude working at Sears.

yeah I'm probably hosed but lol planets gonna melt in a decade anyway who cares

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

STR, have you considered a job at Starbucks?
You are the type of person I would like to see first thing in the morning, and start my day off with... no homo.

:laffo:

poo poo pay and lovely customers. No thanks. And I'm not a morning person. I'm not a midnight person either, but I can wake up at 11pm a lot easier than I can at 3am.

One of my neighbors works there, and haaaaaaates it. Dairy Queen starts at a higher wage, with only slightly less lovely customers (and the local DQ franchisee gives excellent benefits from day 1).

Trust me, I'm looking at other options; we have insanely low unemployment, but my IT skills are so hilariously outdated that I can't get a call back. Our unemployment is 2.6% as of September, according to the feds. Giving serious thought to going to Austin Community College for HVAC tech. Or fire alarm tech, or elevator mechanic (that would require a union and finding someone willing to take on an old fart), or...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Local unemployment is like 3% and there's over 40 employers hiring for double minimum wage to start with benefits.

And yet I see so many people bitching about not being able to find a job.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Local unemployment is like 3% and there's over 40 employers hiring for double minimum wage to start with benefits.

And yet I see so many people bitching about not being able to find a job.

Some folks are just unemployable. Or don't really want to work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Some folks are just unemployable. Or don't really want to work.

Well, they have to spend all their time working on their rad cars. Priorities, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Man, a few of us got together last weekend and went ice skating and had a really good time. A couple of my buddies got to reminiscing about their hockey playing days and started throwing around the idea of buying skates and sticks and getting pick-up games going. I never got to play ice hockey when I was a kid and have still always wanted to, so I got really excited, but it's pretty clear they were just feeling nostalgic about it and don't really want to do it that much. And I'm too much of a wuss to look into beer league stuff by myself. :(

STR posted:

Giving serious thought to going to Austin Community College for HVAC tech.
Different strokes and grain of salt and all, but my good friend has been in welding for a good amount of years now, and about a year and a half ago he got fed up with some bullshit or other, walked off the job and took a standing offer to go work for an HVAC company. He hated doing HVAC so much, he was back at his welding job a whole one week later :v: