Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Do most players really recruit a lot of students? I would have thought most folks would only recruit a few characters that caught their interest. Certainly that’s what I did, and it does make a lot of moments hit harder. Plus the “fighting a student” theme is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

well, there are a lot of cross-house supports. So even if I didn’t want to rescue Marianne from suicide, I would still recruit her to see all of Dimitri’s convos.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

eating only apples posted:

It's true in that case though. Sorry Leonie but that bow is made for Bernie
why on earth would you give Bernie a bow that passively heals her? :psyduck:
the best thing to do is let someone scratch her and proceed to watch her murder the world in an adrenaline fueled rampage

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I recruited like 7 students my first run (mostly because I was using all my gifts to romance rhea) and all of them on my second (AM) run, because I wanted all my children to be United.

It definitely ruins the punch of STUDENTS FIGHTING STUDENTS IS SO SAD PROFESSOR!!!!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

just lmao if you dont strategically plan your recruitments to ensure as many sad pre fight convos as possible

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I only really recruit the teachers and Alois, as someone who appreciates Dad Jokes. And I figure he'd want to stick by Byleth.

Except now my plan is to recruit Bernadetta in every route, because Bernie's treatment through AM is terrible. Sorry that Edelgard set your platform on fire! And extremely sorry that Edelgard repays your senseless sacrifice by letting your dad back into the club. That last one was so terrible it wrapped around to being hilarious.

Junpei Hyde posted:

just lmao if you dont strategically plan your recruitments to ensure as many sad pre fight convos as possible

This will be my next run. :unsmigghh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
My first run (CF) I recruited Sylvain because he was horny for me, and then, like, the last month possible, I recruited Felix, because he literally only cares about swords and that was the one skill I actually raised to a decent level. Also Shamir and Hanneman/Manuela because they're free, but I missed Alois.

Later routes, I kept picking up Sylvain for the early relic, as well as bernie (because she's my daughter) as well as lysithea once I realized her power.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Airspace posted:

Except now my plan is to recruit Bernadetta in every route, because Bernie's treatment through AM is terrible. Sorry that Edelgard set your platform on fire! And extremely sorry that Edelgard repays your senseless sacrifice by letting your dad back into the club. That last one was so terrible it wrapped around to being hilarious.

Bernie doesn't deserve the treatment she gets in all the non-Eagles routes. In the Church route the Church re-instates her father after killing Edelgard and she has a panic attack about it.
Just lol though if you don't pick who you recruit solely based on what makes the best sense for someones character arc.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I'm on my third playthrough, I have recruited everyone on all three (GDx2, AM) because I am a huge softie. :shobon:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Bernie doesn't deserve the treatment she gets in all the non-Eagles routes. In the Church route the Church re-instates her father after killing Edelgard and she has a panic attack about it.
Just lol though if you don't pick who you recruit solely based on what makes the best sense for someones character arc.

Finding that out makes it very easy for me to never want to go church route.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only two things Church has going for it are that it's the Seteth show and that Rhea is hot and it's the only route where Byleth can bang her.

Otherwise it is objectively terrible in like, every aspect.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Church route should have made Rhea your lord, and you should have lost like half the Black Eagles in exchange for exclusive Seteth/Catherine or something.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Endorph posted:

They should patch the game so you can only recruit 4 people before the game goes 'you have enough students
'

You should have to kick a current student out of your class for each you recruit to keep the teams even.

I wasn't going to recruit everyone this run but then I wanted to complete all the supports. It's pretty boring fighting the other houses though even at the battle of eagle and lion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

abandon all nobles, commoner party only

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I kinda hate that the other two houses are so passive. You don't get any pushback for taking all their students, Hanneman and Manuela can join you like halfway through part 1 and don't even fight in the second mock battle, etc.

It would be pretty dope if the other houses could attempt to poach your students if you benched them too often, or if you worked with them on big missions or something.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Wish we do get more cross-house interactions because the first run you wouldn't be very familiar with students from other houses, and it kinda dampens the moment you kill them in part 2. I have to admit I didn't really feel much from the first time I had to kill Ferdinand or Lorenz, for example.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

blizzardvizard posted:

Wish we do get more cross-house interactions because the first run you wouldn't be very familiar with students from other houses, and it kinda dampens the moment you kill them in part 2. I have to admit I didn't really feel much from the first time I had to kill Ferdinand or Lorenz, for example.

Yeah basically it doesn't sting as much if you don't know them, you just have poetic line from a good looking character that you didn't really know. But I remember someone datamined an AM route that had the Lion's split up and you'd HAVE to kill someone you used on part one, that's where it'd go full pathos and soul crushing.

Also I am absolutely guilty of recruiting everyone on my CF run because drat that scene before chapter 12 where everyone shows up is great.

My current AM run I only recruited Marianne and Raphael to see their supports, and others I'll only get councillors, but in my head this is explicitly a tragedy run.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I for one appreciate I could recruit literally everyone for a good ending and just go nah to all that tragedy and drama the game was trying to do.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hilda passing it off at least makes sense. "Uh, professor this thing is creepy, pulsating and alive. Can someone else wield this? Please dont make me hold this."

Please keep the naughty fanfic out of this thread (unless it's about Hubert).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I initially didn't recruit anyone because I was like "I already have a full team? I don't see the point in this feature". Then my next two runs I still didn't because I wanted to see maximum sad. I figure next time I play months/years from now I'll do a recruit errybody run.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not a dig at anyone genuinely curious, why do some of you folks want things to be bleak and sad?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Not a dig at anyone genuinely curious, why do some of you folks want things to be bleak and sad?

War should have consequences.

Like not getting ships on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Hilda passing it off at least makes sense. "Uh, professor this thing is creepy, pulsating and alive. Can someone else wield this? Please dont make me hold this."
I get that a lot

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Avalerion posted:

It's weird that it looks like the game was at least at some point trying for maximum pathos (Blions text leftovers, Dorothea's lines, the opening cinematic) but you can just... neuter it entirely with relatively little effort. It feels like they changed their minds up until relatively late in development, and while I don't mind it, the end result is a bit thematically weird and I can see that bothering people.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Only using BL peeps on my second play through so I can murder all my former GD comrades.

And also because I just want to use new characters. They all own so far, especially Annette who has become a murder machine with axes. Dimitri is especially insane (stat wise), very speed blessed. Making him an assassin was a good idea. Ashe is the only one lagging despite putting so much work into him. Had him learn poison strike, death blow, AND hit +20 so he could lob up long range deadeyes while still doing decent damage. And he's still pretty eh so far.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
If you don't recruit Bernie in every run you're a goddamn monster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

because i like when things in fiction have consequences and weight. it is interesting to see what characters feel and think when they are pushed to their limits. if i wanted a story that was totally nice and had a 100% happy ending, i would not be playing a game where half the cast was horrifically abused as children and everyone is swearing bloody vengeance oaths against each other. That is the story they wrote, so it makes no sense that you can then make it so barely anyone important dies.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 19, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Some of the best writing in the game comes from having characters fight those they were closet to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like, genuinely curious, why do some people in this thread seem to view sad things happening as a net negative? It's fine if you don't enjoy that kind of story but it's very clear what is and isn't natural for the things this game set up.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

IMO some of the best writing in the game is in CF when Dimitri is defeated. There are two versions of the conversation; one where Edelgard reveals some of her worst character flaws by dehumanising and mocking Dimitri before killing him and one where Dimitri and Dedue say goodbye to each other. Both really feel "earned" and are some of the best VA'd moments in the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, I want media to primarily make me feel positive emotions, I don’t like feeling sad. Which isn’t to say I refuse to play games where sad a thing happens entirely, but if it gives me the option to avoid it I’ll always take it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Avalerion posted:

its the only way we can feel anything any more

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's nice that it's possible to alleviate most of the negative things happening but it shouldn't be so completely trivial

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
After playing around with the supports for a little bit, I realize this is now a game wherein you pick out the ships for your students with some combat in between.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Democrazy posted:

After playing around with the supports for a little bit, I realize this is now a game wherein you pick out the ships for your students with some combat in between.

This is correct

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Honestly, Dorothea/Manuela should the two main characters of the game.

Edit: I’m picturing Gilmore Girls but if Rory’s boyfriends had to kill one another

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 19, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

My first run was GD and i recruited Dorothea as my dancer. And she was like "war is terrible. We just murdered ferdie."

:(

No one else really cared tho

In AM nobody at all gives a poo poo when you murder Caspar lol, not even Dorothea.

quote:

Like, genuinely curious, why do some people in this thread seem to view sad things happening as a net negative? It's fine if you don't enjoy that kind of story but it's very clear what is and isn't natural for the things this game set up.

I had just gotten done with Pathologic 2 where I failed to save half of my adherents so it was very amusing going from "lol half you fuckers are dead" to "oh you're all joining now great!" to "okay stop now" to "rip you Ferdinand and Caspar".

Play Pathologic 2, by the way

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 19, 2019

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i'm nice in real life so i can lead college kids to slaughter in my anime life

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The serious answer is that it's probably a better story if you have some students die. Basically the backdrop of the story is this nasty war that people are getting killed in, and if you save all the students it basically only happens to NPCs and nameless characters and so it lacks impact. Having some people die isn't really grimdark since all the endings are pretty happy, so the effect isn't really bleakness but more well, 'I guess there's suffering, but there's light at the end of the tunnel'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game barely cares if you kill you are children so it honestly doesn't matter