Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PinheadSlim posted:

I feel like there's a certain type of idiot who thinks just because they're a land owner that they're basically qualified to do every single piece of work the property requires, and that hiring any sort of professional is a sign of weakness.

Cheapness as well. They have $8.5 million in their savings at the age of 65 but choke at the idea of paying $700 for anything they think they can do for free themselves (plus whoever they can bully into helping them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

:piss:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I stopped watching Furze after the beach hut video.

For me, that's when he moved from "interesting ideas done with skill and enthusiasm" to "that's loving stupid, someone is going to die"

Video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yox9CKYh7EU

How bad of an idea is this, really? I started this video assuming there were going to be rooms spread out beneath the surface (as in, rooms with sand above them); since this is all straight down, it seems far less absurd. From the video, it's clear the plywood is taking some pressure, but can anyone substantiate how bad it is?

Is a 12ft deep hole actually too much pressure for plywood?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this type of video was fun. An interesting build with fun punk music playing during the timelapse bits.

The good music was an added bonus for me while watching this video. :thumbsup:

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh hell yeah I was just watching a bunch of these British Pathe videos and I thought I saw a lot of material for this thread.

I'm not a candy making expert nor am I up to date on what is and isn't OSHA compliant but I think this isn't, around 14 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE

I like how in England candy-makers-engineers wore the same uniforms as nuclear engineers in Chernobyl.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dread Head posted:

Where was this tree even going to land if it did not hit the house?

based on the "load line" on the house across the street?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its probably his own house, rip

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Can't forget this classic British Pathé

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfZSEboVM4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PinheadSlim posted:

They're absolutely full of sexism, around 1:20 for this one about miniature wargames.

Watch grand Moff Tarkin play with little mans, a fine hobby for any boy and more intelligent girls

That's the full title of the book Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books by H G Wells. He was born in 1866 and published that book in 1913 and during that period the toy options for girls were pretty much "dolls, and a dollhouse if you're lucky".

I don't know about beforehand, but from the Victorian era until quite recently girls have only been encouraged toward the most boring and unstimulating interests.

Hell, in the 1960s my mother wanted to learn carpentry and metalwork at high school but they only allowed boys to take those classes, and she had to learn cooking instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pseudorandom posted:

The plywood could hold back the pressure, but before the floors are installed, there is essentially bupkis stopping several dozen tonnes of force from making the plywood walls meet like the trash compactor in Star Wars.

The plywood isn’t protecting them. They are solely reliant on the sand’s good graces. If it started behaving like a liquid, they would be squeezed like tomatoes.

Real shoring has horizontal elements to keep the walls of the excavation separated.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dread Head posted:

Where was this tree even going to land if it did not hit the house?

Given the neighborhood, it's a residential with wide streets and a fairly generous front lawn. The only way that would hit a house is if it was the one it actually hit or the neighbor next, plenty of room across the street to lay a massive tree down, especially diagonally, but lol if it had hit the lightpost or some other public property

PainterofCrap posted:

No, you're not. Termites go after wet, dead wood in contact with the ground.

They'll work their way up framing from grade as long as they can a) stay in the dark and b) have a nerby water source. They will carry water with them, but not more than 5-6 feet.

Termitechat:

Inspect the foundation of termite zone houses and trim back growth and keep dirt and mud away, as "staying underground" is a technicality, and once they make a mud burrow up the foundation they can get at your tasty architectural cellulose :yum:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

I live in Ontario and my only exposure to termites is gags from Looney Tunes. The idea of that being an issue from bringing in wood over here is unheard of. Dunno where dude in the video lives but there are lots of places where it just isn't an issue.

Same. I have not so fond memories of me and my brothers spending weeks carrying cords and cords of split wood, an armful at a time, down the stairs to the basement. It wasn't until we were grown and gone that my father 'discovered' that he could make a ramp down a basement window and use a small wheelbarrow downstairs to carry the wood to the furnace room. He can put down the same amount of wood in an afternoon with just two guys.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

pseudorandom posted:

How bad of an idea is this, really? I started this video assuming there were going to be rooms spread out beneath the surface (as in, rooms with sand above them); since this is all straight down, it seems far less absurd. From the video, it's clear the plywood is taking some pressure, but can anyone substantiate how bad it is?

It's a really bad idea. Sand is a bastard because of its large particulate size making it really happy to suddenly liquify, and narrow excavations like that are deathtraps anyway. That plywood will do sweet gently caress all if the sand decides to slip.

They also piss about right on the edge of the section constantly; you need to keep a respectful distance from the edge of any excavation to avoid weakening it. They also keep putting their spoil waaaaay too close to the pit, which you don't do in case it either slips into the pit, or the extra weight causes the walls of the pit to deform and slip. They should be bucketing it out, not just throwing it over the side to create more loose dangerous sand. Maybe the finished product has integrity, but the excavation was them skating by on pure luck.

I don't know much about the physics involved, but I know about digging holes and you couldn't pay me to get in that thing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Werong Bustope posted:

I don't know much about the physics involved

Neither does Fruze or he wouldn't do the things he does like the Jet Powered Go Kart and wall of death made from old pallets.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sssssssafety firssssst

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

sssssssafety firssssst

OSssssHa :tipshat:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh hell yeah!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ekuNNN posted:

sssssssafety firssssst

A very good start for our snake worker comrade, but where's the hi visss vessssssst!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dr_rat posted:

A very good start for our snake worker comrade, but where's the hi visss vessssssst!

He was wearing one, but somehow it keeps falling off his shoulders.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

In a hosed up way, I wish something bad would happen to people like that.

Not because I want them to suffer, but because I want people who watch them and might emulate them see the risks of their stupidity.

This is why Home Improvement un-ironically created the best actual-fake home improvement show ever, Tool Time™ because it showed repeatedly exactly how abject stupidity and/or cutting corners would make you dead as gently caress and furthermore

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

hi, i need??? ???????????????????

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SeaborneClink posted:

Wait, wait, wait.. this is the ending to the goon that tried to hike across the US with a baby push pram and 1/2 lb of trailmix and had to be rescued by park rangers in San Diego (??) less than 5 miles after starting?

:aaa:

Yeah, here's one of the final posts about it:

quote:

Muerte posted:

Hello everyone, please read the below message and respond accordingly. To update everyone, I've made it to Florida and it only cost me a complete cooling system rebuild, a broken windshield and a power steering failure that still needs to be fixed. My short term plans are to get a job to supplement my income with the tree cutting business. Once I get that accomplished I can start paying off the repairs on my car. Once those are taken care of I'll going back to school for a degree in behavioral health, one of the jobs I've applied for is an entry level position in that field. I'm currently working on starting my own organization to raise awareness and money for mental health through various activities and meetups, such as ATV trips, Disc Golf Leagues, Hiking and whatever else I can come up with this is still a work in progress. Once I get back on my feet I'll be donating a portion of the money I make with our stump grinding business to mental health research, I'm still working on figuring out what the best organization for that may be. Last but not least I do NOT plan on giving up on my walk. I learned many things on my 5 day trip on what I did wrong and right.

The whole thread is still amazing
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I really really want to believe.
https://i.imgur.com/B2H39dD.mp4

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Powershift posted:

Oh hell yeah!

Those are Levi's too, so he's definitely burning his taint and/or balls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, here's one of the final posts about it:

The whole thread is still amazing
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I really really want to believe.
https://i.imgur.com/B2H39dD.mp4

That was a heartwarming post right up until the last 2 sentences. Hopefully it’s a long time into the future.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: :popeye:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, but termites tend to live in dry rear end, hot dusty places, hence less green greenery.

It's a pretty stark contrast between states/towns that have them and those that don't. Lots of states you constantly have to spray and watch for termites, others they'd probably call the news if a house somehow became infested with termites. All along the northern states, and huge dip into the center of the country have pretty much zero termite activity.

the determining factor isn't really how moist a climate is, but rather temperature. Milder winters = more termites

If you go to the wet tropics the termites are out of this world. Like I'd find myself pulling termite heads off my neck hours after coming out of the forest, because the fuckers literally covered every surface and would practically rain on me. Of course all insects are out of control in the tropics, wet or dry. It's cool waiting for your magnificent giant hibiscus bush to go into bloom only for thousands of ants to appear within hours and systematically slice every flower on the plant into thousands of little pieces

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
someone too far back ago for me to bother to find it said termites like hot dry places which is definitely news to me in south louisiana

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, but termites tend to live in dry rear end, hot dusty places, hence less green greenery.

lmfao

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Easy way to test for termites if you live in Asia or Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHTQqVe6YA

Are your walls making this sound? If yes congratulations!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That was one thing that came up in those Life After People specials. Without humans regularly maintaining their homes, it would take an extremely short amount of time for wood-framed buildings to collapse from termites and other damage. Within 100 years all the suburbs and isolated houses would be completely gone except for what remains of their foundations under the overgrown foliage. The only buildings left would be crumbling, rusty, vine-covered skyscrapers and bridges until those inevitably collapse.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hi, i need??? ???????????????????

My gf does dtg printing, I just snagged the image from earlier in the thread and asked her for a shirt. Gotta show up forklift operators somehow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

chitoryu12 posted:

That was one thing that came up in those Life After People specials. Without humans regularly maintaining their homes, it would take an extremely short amount of time for wood-framed buildings to collapse from termites and other damage. Within 100 years all the suburbs and isolated houses would be completely gone except for what remains of their foundations under the overgrown foliage. The only buildings left would be crumbling, rusty, vine-covered skyscrapers and bridges until those inevitably collapse.

This is why we need solid stainless steel buildings.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Baronjutter posted:

This is why we need solid stainless steel buildings.

Remember, termite brought even the WTC down!

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

How, where?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/1StSogU.mp4

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm the decision to attempt to physically hold that in place with my bare hands.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

This synced up nicely to the audio from tree guy further up the page.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm the decision to attempt to physically hold that in place with my bare hands.

Yep, that's more of a "wait for impact" then "assist the wounded" then "cry because you're going to prison for your criminal neglect" day.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Shouldn't the breaks lock up when it got disconnected from the air supply?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Assuming there's one on there without a cage bolt in it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mr-Spain posted:

No it’s supposed to fall off and roll away when it’s mature, if I am remembering correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Mr-Spain posted:

Oh man, the air line broke and I'm 3 hours from the closest shop. I'll just cage the brakes and drive carefully I guess, I'll get it fixed in the morning.

Well nothing bad happened and this job has to get done in a hurry, I'll take care of it this week for sure.

I mean it's been driving fine, I really should get it in though.

*A year goes by, driver quits and a new driver takes over*