Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Is Hannity the slum lord of his own property or was it Trump's property he used the lawyer for?

Yes, Hannity is a slum lord. That was one of the things that came out during Cohen’s indictment, he outted Hannity as one of his three clients and that Hannity was using him to cover up his being a slum lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Hannity is a slum lord. That was one of the things that came out during Cohen’s indictment, he outted Hannity as one of his three clients and that Hannity was using him to cover up his being a slum lord.

He also got some shady loans through the HUD right after Ben Carson took it over

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1196625884041687040

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
and he was created by two jews that would never have been able to buy a house from trump's dad

also superman stops people from committing crimes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chuds need to stick with idolizing comic book characters who are known scumbags like the Punisher and just leave actual heroes like Superman to non-awful people.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

This is probably the dumbest sentence I have ever uttered, but:

How strong was baby Superman, exactly? Is it possible that he would NOT have been able to have been ripped from his mother's arms, assuming that his mother were to have immigrated here with him instead of stuffing him into a rocket?

Also I feel like Superman has been on record espousing drat near ALL points of view, depending on what era he was from. In a similar fashion, I imagine that if immortality was able to be achieved, after a long enough period of time, you could probably find quotes from any given person supporting whatever position you wanted, as they slowly adapted to the times.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Look up "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex," Larry Niven's seminal (heh) essay on early Super-Man power levels.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zarin posted:

How strong was baby Superman, exactly? Is it possible that he would NOT have been able to have been ripped from his mother's arms, assuming that his mother were to have immigrated here with him instead of stuffing him into a rocket?

Also I feel like Superman has been on record espousing drat near ALL points of view, depending on what era he was from. In a similar fashion, I imagine that if immortality was able to be achieved, after a long enough period of time, you could probably find quotes from any given person supporting whatever position you wanted, as they slowly adapted to the times.

Well, if Superman's mother came to Earth with him, she'd have all the powers he did too, so she'd just punch the ICE officers into the next zip code if they tried to take little Kal off to a baby concentration camp :eng101:

But yeah, Supes is largely a cipher as a character and has said basically everything and anything depending on the writer. See: Zack Snyder's miserable Ayn Rand Superman vs. the CW's smiling gee willikers Woke Superman literally showing up on screens within months of one another.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 19, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Really feeling the urge to move to South Dakota for some reason

Having been there several times i would not recommend it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zarin posted:

How strong was baby Superman, exactly?

Depends. In the golden age comics Superman was all sorts of weird and baby superman being strong or him literally turning into a baby with red kryptonite probably would have been a thing. I'm not as familiar with silver age, but the modern stuff has him being a regular farm kid until he hit puberty at which point he got powers.

Is it possible that he would NOT have been able to have been ripped from his mother's arms, assuming that his mother were to have immigrated here with him instead of stuffing him into a rocket?

quote:

Superman has been anti-racist for all of his existence. The idea of him was created by two Jewish men, Siegel and Shuster, and they weren't particularly fond of racists as there was a ton of racism against Jews then and previous directed at them by the forces of white supremacy.

The radio play of Superman versus "The Clan of the Fiery Cross" helped out a lot of the secret KKK signs and handshakes and codewords and such. Superman was pretty beloved by kids at this point and adults had to deal with this anti-KKK sentiment being beamed into their house via the radio. The Klan was a different animal during this time, basically a pyramid scheme, but it had millions of members and could have catalyzed into something way, way worse. Like you had KKK marches in tons of cities for a while. If some true believer instead of a grifter got hold of the Klan or there were splinter groups that took off or seized the KKK of the day, it could have gotten ugly. Superman, his artist and writer and the people who organized and performed the radio play played a small but important part in rolling back racism. Though this was in 1947 when the Klan was in decline. Still, making sure it stayed in decline was pretty cool.

Short article on Superman versus the KKK for you.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.02.98/comics-9826.html

About Trump's father, quote.

quote:

On Memorial Day in 1927, the Ku Klux Klan marched in Queens to protest Protestant American citizens being "assaulted by Roman Catholic police of New York City."[19] Trump and six other men were arrested "on a charge of refusing to disperse from a parade when ordered to do so."[20][21] All seven arrested were referred to as "berobed marchers" in the Long Island Daily Press; Trump was the only one not held on charges.[19][22] When asked about the issue in September 2015, Donald Trump, then a candidate for president of the United States, denied that his father had ever been arrested.[19][23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump

Trump is a racist raised in a racist household. Now during the 1920's, the Klan was enormous, in the millions of people. Saying you were racist was basically the same as saying you were a white for the vast majority of people. Trump is an old man raised in a time where racism was blatant and common and he's never had to modify those beliefs to fit in. In a normal world, Trump would just be a racist old man. The problem is that he was given power and attracted people like Steven Miller who used Trump as a way to be an actual Nazi.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Superman is Space Jesus, so it makes sense that everyone thinks he’s what they want him to be.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Coming soon to a supreme court near you

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/1196573309737062400

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Rip Testes posted:

Everyone should be on meth.

To be fair we have seen a bump in meth usage over the past several years. I’ve had about as much as I can take personally. Besides, meth is crushing local communities until we all decide to draw a line in the sand, suck it up and get on it.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Just want everyone to know that the patient I had over earlier today, definitely did NOT have chest pains. No chest pains at all, was had by that patient. Wait, I’ll write a formal declaration about it. Just in case it’s not clear that there were no chest pains.

Also, the total exoneration tweet his funny as hell.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

It would be wild if the ERA somehow became an issue for 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rosalind posted:

And probably all but ending the HIV epidemic too. I've worked across several different HIV studies. One, a recent study of gay and bisexual men, found that the single strongest predictor of seroconversion was meth use. Nearly 40% of the guys who seroconverted reported some recent history of meth use.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that high, but given all the various risk factors it aggravates that makes a lot of sense. It would do a lot for other STDs as well, apparently a lot of syphilis outbreaks have been traced back to meth.

I can understand why meth isn't talked about more nationally, but holy gently caress is it taking a toll on a ton of people.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Zarin posted:

originally he had powers as a baby.
later on he was retconned into only developed them as a teen

originally superman was a strong guy that would use his powers to help the people, in his very first newspaper appearance he threatens a bank manager into giving a poor farmer a loan, he literally says "this is a nice bank you got here. would be a shame if something HAPPENED to it" while holding a safe over his head.

oddly enough the giant corporation that owns him turned him into a shill for the status quo. you either die a hero or get bought by the villains.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

It would be wild if the ERA somehow became an issue for 2020

I doubt Republicans would want to make an issue of it, they're already losing women in droves. They're more likely to pay lip service to supporting it in public while quietly chipping away at the interpretation of it in private.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

InsertPotPun posted:

originally he had powers as a baby.
later on he was retconned into only developed them as a teen

Yeah superbaby gets real scary if you think about it gor more than a second. It's cute and fun in that wacky silver age style but having a todder capable of bending steel does not end well for anyone in anything remotely like reality.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Slo-Tek posted:

Opioids are (largely) manufactured by major corporations that can be shaken down for multi-billion dollar settlements. Some good ol' boys in Jefferson County making artisanal small batch methamphetamines from locally sourced ingredients doesn't really get the state district's attention the way Billions with a B in cash does.

That’s why I choose Bill’s Meth. Bill’s Meth is made right here in Lumpkin County, using fresh spring water, nail polish remover and locally-sourced batteries and match sticks from around the trailer park.

Bill’s Meth: I’m on it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah superbaby gets real scary if you think about it gor more than a second. It's cute and fun in that wacky silver age style but having a todder capable of bending steel does not end well for anyone in anything remotely like reality.

Was it "The Boys" that kinda touched on the concept of a terrifying super baby or something else.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Stickman posted:

Superman is Space Jesus, so it makes sense that everyone thinks he’s what they want him to be.

In the comics, Superman specifically rejects being a religious figure on multiple occasions. Oddly, he's aware of literal gods and godlike figures out there because the power level of DC's characters are basically Greek gods or demigods. They're a stand in within our culture for those myths. We're in on the joke though. People can enjoy Superman like the ancient Greeks enjoyed Hercules, but we don't believe that Superman is real. Still, the craving for those mythic characters and epic stories that humans desire persist. These are our myths. We just know that they're not real.

However, DC actually openly deals with the idea of God and Jesus and Satan, especially in the Vertigo titles. Preacher for example deals explicitly with Christianity. Hellblazer too, of the John Constantine fame, the old Constantine move with Keanu Reeves was based (loosely) on it as well as a show which flopped hard. Preacher the television show is currently produced by AMC and drat is it good. Kingdom Come also had explicit Christian apocalyptic themes focused through the lens of DC super heroes and it was excellent told and its art was beautiful.

If you're looking for probably the best Superman story in my opinion, I'd suggest the twelve issue run of All Star Superman, which was concerned with how Superman dealt with his mortality when he began dying. The pose of Superman on the cover of the first issue was actually taken from the pose of a cosplayer at a comic con if memory serves. It inspired the series. The pose was described along the lines of what a person would look like if they were totally at ease and at rest with the world. What would happen if no one could hurt them and so they didn't fear and they didn't need to menace to stay safe. The pose was described as shamanic. The artist rushed home to sketch it out and so we got All Star Superman as a result. Art is funny that way. The series is often hokey, grounded in the Superman mythos and frequently beautiful, it deals with how a good person would lead their life as they realize that they're dying.

I highly suggest finding it if you can find it, either through the original comics or on the internet itself. I enjoy comics that have a finite amount of issues or at least aren't legacy comics that run basically forever: Sandman Mystery Theater, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Maus, Miracleman, Preacher, Transmetropolotian, Marvels and Saga to name a few. Also I enjoy indulging in dumb, but enjoyable comics like Rat Queens, Hitman and Hellblazer, which is the only long running comic I'll touch anymore.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about comics. Superman isn't Space Jesus. He functions best when he's a living ideal and that ideal is tested by forces which he can't just beat down with brute strength. I'd say that most people look at Superman, including many people who make movies, and see the strength and invulnerability and flight and other powers. That's not the point of Superman. Personally, I think of him as America distilled down to its best self with the removal of all of the bad. Someone moral and good and just. An ideal. Not someone to emulate because of his strength, but that his strength is something to be used for the good of others and not for his own selfish benefit. Just some farm boy from Kansas who's moral and just and bends his back to help broken people in a broken world.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 19, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
The preacher comic is one of my favorites. I stopped watching the show after it was clear how much they were diverting from the books. He's mostly irredeemable in the show

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was it "The Boys" that kinda touched on the concept of a terrifying super baby or something else.

There was a film called Brightburn that did

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://youtu.be/wqwUdp5-2D8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Zarin posted:

How strong was baby Superman, exactly?
Let's put it this way, see if you can guess the difference between baby Superman and jet fuel.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

oxsnard posted:

The preacher comic is one of my favorites. I stopped watching the show after it was clear how much they were diverting from the books. He's mostly irredeemable in the show

I like it, but I haven't caught the latest season. I feel like the protagonists of the show are too competent though. Most everyone in comics was some sort of gently caress up and I liked that.

My liking it is probably influence by the fact that I have a serious crush on Ruth Negga though. The guy who was cast for Cassidy, the gently caress up vampire, was perfect because he was called back for the role, but he was living without a phone in his mom's basement at the time and so he almost missed his role. Which is to say, again, that he's absolutely perfect for the role. Even though he's portrayed as a gently caress up in the show, I don't think he's enough of a gently caress up.

Slightly :nsfw: but extremely funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZt2e1SOMzE

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

"Supreme Power" dealt with this and how the US government handles the potential threat (hint: not well).

Interesting story by the creator of Babylon 5, but be warned there are some pretty cringe- inducing attempts to deal with racial issues.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah the Cassidy actor is perfect for the role. Btw for anyone reading this unfamiliar with the series, it's the source for this classic

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stereotype posted:

I don’t believe this for a second. Trump is dead and everyone around him is a horrifying ghoul and they are going to pretend he is alive.

Weekend at Donny's

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I think that you will find that the argument is as follows:. Argabarga bloobloo xgiiyydjdufiggigif

Ah, the Adam Sandler defense.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Talking about Superman makes me lament Batman v Superman being garbage. It set itself up for a really interesting allegorical take on Superman as a proxy for American Interventionism but actually examining the human cost that comes with it and dumped it, it set up a potentially interesting examination of global class struggle by showing that the poor and helpless of the world see Superman with near religious reverence while the wealthy and mighty instinctively see him as a threat to be extinguished and dumped it, it set up a cool potential exploration of generational tension by aging up Bruce relative to Clark and framing their larger struggle ina very gen x vs millennial flavor during their initial meet8ng and dumped it... like, gently caress, how do you set up three interesting themes in the first 30 minutes and then forget all of then by 90 minutes in?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

We just got off fast food chat, people. Have mercy! :negative:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sanguinia posted:

Talking about Superman makes me lament Batman v Superman being garbage. It set itself up for a really interesting allegorical take on Superman as a proxy for American Interventionism but actually examining the human cost that comes with it and dumped it, it set up a potentially interesting examination of global class struggle by showing that the poor and helpless of the world see Superman with near religious reverence while the wealthy and mighty instinctively see him as a threat to be extinguished and dumped it, it set up a cool potential exploration of generational tension by aging up Bruce relative to Clark and framing their larger struggle ina very gen x vs millennial flavor during their initial meet8ng and dumped it... like, gently caress, how do you set up three interesting themes in the first 30 minutes and then forget all of then by 90 minutes in?

By not understanding the characters or why they're interesting and compelling and iconic. The prime motivators of major movies isn't to tell an interesting and compelling story. It's to make money. That it's an interesting story is secondary or lower. It's about priorities. Most of our media will be consistently mediocre and stay that way so long as money is the primary motivation. You have to fight to make art when the people who hold the purse strings barely understand it, if at all.

Edit:

Okay, yeah, done with comics. Done with derails.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why did the president eat the whole superman shield logo?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Would Superman allow xrays to penetrate his body?

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

Show the bone spurs you cowards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zarin posted:

Golden Age and Silver Age Superman have unlimited, occasionally insane power to do anything, akin at least to a Greek or Norse god in terms of its seemingly random weirdness.

In that context he wasn't much weirder than Stardust the Super Wizard:

Name Change fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 19, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Golden Age and Silver Age Superman have unlimited, occasionally insane power to do anything, akin at least to a Greek or Norse god in terms of its seemingly random weirdness.

Big palooka is a great insult that needs to make a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The last two panels are just begging to be turned into avatars.