Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LifeLynx posted:

Despite having a seven year old step-daughter, I've somehow not seen Frozen until last weekend.
I still have not heard Let It Go and I'm seeing how long I can avoid accidentally hearing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I still have not heard Let It Go and I'm seeing how long I can avoid accidentally hearing it

It’s a good song, though.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Frozen, but I don’t remember much of anything about it outside of the fact that Idina Menzel has a hell of a set of pipes.

I probably won’t see Frozen II until it’s been out on streaming for a year or two, but I already dig “Into the Unknown”.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If you've heard any given self-empowerment song you've heard Let It Go. I like the other songs though. It's a good movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also they may have stolen Let It Go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GkukGMTh0

Relevant part starts at 0:56.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Animation fandom is so weird, where else is it a point of pride to go out of your way to not see one of the most popular and successful works of a medium for the decade it came out in if not for an entire generation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sleeveless posted:

Animation fandom is so weird, where else is it a point of pride to go out of your way to not see one of the most popular and successful works of a medium for the decade it came out in if not for an entire generation.

So what are you a fan of again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sleeveless posted:

It's not a sense of pride and accomplishment, I'm just not the target audience for a Disney Princess movie and I don't have a daughter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

asecondduck posted:

Also they may have stolen Let It Go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GkukGMTh0

Relevant part starts at 0:56.

Man I know it's Disney but that sounds like reaching to me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sleeveless posted:

I... what? This is something that happens in every medium of entertainment. Film snobs aren't rushing out to see Avengers: Endgame. Video game nerds aren't obligated to play Minecraft. poo poo, I watch football and despise the New England Patriots. Not engaging with the most popular/successful thing in a medium is extremely common and your point is nonsensical.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Not liking popular things and making it a part of your identity isn't exclusive to animation.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
For me, not hearing Let It Go wasn't even an option - I worked at a Disney Store shortly after Frozen first came out, and you better believe that was in heavy rotation on the in-store video reel.

I think the company was really caught off guard by how popular it was - for a while we had very little Frozen merch in stock and got plenty of complaints about that. Around Halloween I had to tell a lot of parents that no, we don't have any more Elsa dresses, and I have no idea when we'll be getting more.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

at this point I'd be willing to bet you've heard parts of it and not realized what you were hearing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let It Go would be a welcome change where I hear Everything Is Awesome and This Song is Going to Gey Stuck Inside Your Head all the time.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TBH, I read the name of the second song (I mean technically it's officially "Catchy Song" but whatever), and all that came to mind was "The Song That Doesn't End" from Lamb Chop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6OGVCdov8

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Macaluso posted:

Man I know it's Disney but that sounds like reaching to me

I could kind of hear Let It Go but at the same time it sounded similar to Erasure's Always to me so :shrug:.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

TBH, I read the name of the second song (I mean technically it's officially "Catchy Song" but whatever), and all that came to mind was "The Song That Doesn't End" from Lamb Chop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6OGVCdov8

same. Man it's weird Lamp Chop basically got reduced to a dog's toy - as a kid, the show always ran and I recall you can get get puppets.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Lamb Chop was born in 1957 and is thus the only good boomer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

Let It Go would be a welcome change where I hear Everything Is Awesome and This Song is Going to Gey Stuck Inside Your Head all the time.

I prefer Super Cool. Have they released the extended version yet?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I prefer Super Cool. Have they released the extended version yet?

I wish we could have that instead of songs that were designed to be annoying.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

same. Man it's weird Lamp Chop basically got reduced to a dog's toy - as a kid, the show always ran and I recall you can get get puppets.
I mean, sadly her ventriloquist (Shari Lewis) has been dead for 21 years, so there's not really any new Lamb Chop material being made to bring her back to cultural relevance - and I dunno how many old kids' shows like that still get reruns beyond Mister Rogers' Neighborhood or Sesame Street (heck, even in the latter I think they opt for new episodes rather than reruns? I could be mistaken, I haven't touched PBS in years).

It does feel like a lot of the kids shows I was heavy into as a kid like that didn't leave much of a blip in the grand scheme of pop culture. I mean, sure, the biggest of the stuff did (the aforementioned two, plus, I dunno, Barney the Dinosaur or The Magic School Bus), but I don't think Under the Umbrella Tree, Eureka's Castle or Shining Time Station (other than the Thomas the Tank Engine parts, or that Ringo Starr/George Carlin were Mr. Conductor in Seasons 1 and 2-3, respectively) register as anything more than a curiosity anymore.

Man now I'm sad :smith:

...looking up Shining Time Station revealed to me that Jafar's VA had a role in it, what

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On one hand, I don't want our slavish devotion to nostalgia to crush the potential of the future. On the other hand I do occasionally get the urge to grab strangers and go "you saw the Fraggles, right? I'm not the only person who remembers Popples, right? Did I hallucinate my childhood?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

On one hand, I don't want our slavish devotion to nostalgia to crush the potential of the future. On the other hand I do occasionally get the urge to grab strangers and go "you saw the Fraggles, right? I'm not the only person who remembers Popples, right? Did I hallucinate my childhood?"
"Glow Worms were a thing weren't they?! Mighty Max and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors weren't a figment of my imagination, right?!?!?! ANSWER MEEEEEEE"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm still not sure if Mighty Max wasn't a really hosed up childhood nightmare.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean, it probably gave hosed up childhood nightmares.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mycot posted:

I'm still not sure if Mighty Max wasn't a really hosed up childhood nightmare.

Haha kids remember all your friends will die before your eyes and you will, at the very end fail, and your only hope is to repeat your tortured existence over and over until you succeed or you die

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
IIRC Shari Lewis’ daughter has done some additional stuff with those characters. Shari Lewis died relatively young and it was a bummer for me as a kid/adolescent because we had a ton of her stuff in the house growing up. She made a lot of Jewish-specific things and her Jewish identity was a big deal to me because other than Rugrats (which was new and pretty bold), there wasn’t much Jewish representation in kids media back then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Barudak posted:

Haha kids remember all your friends will die before your eyes and you will, at the very end fail, and your only hope is to repeat your tortured existence over and over until you succeed or you die
yeah it ruled, it was a pretty nuts ending and also was an actual, proper ending(despite setting into a time loop) which was basically unheard of in merchandise-driven kids cartoons

that show was a real trip. remember the one where he went to visit his mom and they wound up finding cthulhu(iirc)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the Mighty Max ending ruled and for a tie in to some of the most garbage toys to ever exist its basically high art.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

For years, I thought I’d imagined Ludwig, a surreal cartoon about an alien robot egg, but no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThMmLVWZo8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain Invictus posted:

"Glow Worms were a thing weren't they?! Mighty Max and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors weren't a figment of my imagination, right?!?!?! ANSWER MEEEEEEE"
The real magic of the 80s formula of toyetic animation commercials comes in all the poo poo you half-watched or caught 3 episodes of and for some godforsaken reason etched themselves into your very core like Leonardo DaVinci's weird psychosexual bird fixation.

Like I remember loving the loving Mini-Monsters thing from The Comic Strip (weird anthology cartoon with Tigersharks) and I was almost in my 20s before someone was like "oh yeah I used to watch that too, it existed!".

Stuff like Eureeka's Castle disappearing (probably because of rights) sucks because you assume it was pretty successful... until you realize it only had a 3 year run and then was just syndicated for years so its impact was way less than you would think. Or how poo poo like Jayce or C.O.P.S./CyberCOPS were a one-and-done because the toymaker didn't get MotU-level piles of cash from the license. But someone decided to toss it into a slot at 3:30pm M-F for summer because why the gently caress not, so now you have this weird half-memory of something that just blipped in and disappeared.

It's really crazy how ephemeral everything was before you could hop on a wiki or tubesite and just find this weird half-remembered poo poo. And that's knowing you were lucky enough to be around when home video was a thing!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/Redicnomad/status/1196904306349428737

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought I imagined this weird French cartoon from when I was a kid called MOT, about a time traveling purple monster, because nobody had ever heard of it and it was impossible to find info online about it. Finally some clips got uploaded to youtube a few years ago

I loved that monster

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

The real magic of the 80s formula of toyetic animation commercials comes in all the poo poo you half-watched or caught 3 episodes of and for some godforsaken reason etched themselves into your very core like Leonardo DaVinci's weird psychosexual bird fixation.

Like I remember loving the loving Mini-Monsters thing from The Comic Strip (weird anthology cartoon with Tigersharks) and I was almost in my 20s before someone was like "oh yeah I used to watch that too, it existed!".

Stuff like Eureeka's Castle disappearing (probably because of rights) sucks because you assume it was pretty successful... until you realize it only had a 3 year run and then was just syndicated for years so its impact was way less than you would think. Or how poo poo like Jayce or C.O.P.S./CyberCOPS were a one-and-done because the toymaker didn't get MotU-level piles of cash from the license. But someone decided to toss it into a slot at 3:30pm M-F for summer because why the gently caress not, so now you have this weird half-memory of something that just blipped in and disappeared.

It's really crazy how ephemeral everything was before you could hop on a wiki or tubesite and just find this weird half-remembered poo poo. And that's knowing you were lucky enough to be around when home video was a thing!

When I was a kid, I loved this show Dinosaucers. I grew up and mostly forgot about it, but I'd have recurring dreams that I turned the TV on and there it was again. One day I Googled it and Michael Uslan was about put out a comic book, which turned out to be just godawful. A reboot lacking anything playful, and with art worse than 80's animation.

It must have been some influential show if I remembered it after so long, right? No, it spit out all 65 of its episodes over a three month span in 1987 and then was syndicated for a little bit on ABC in 1993 because Jurassic Park was big and they wanted some dinosaur cartoons on the air and it happened to be in the vault. There's some guy who collects and reproduces the cancelled toy run that got shoveled out to Brazil or somewhere, because no matter what it is, someone's going to dedicate their life to it.

Realizing a half-remembered cartoon from your childhood wasn't just some bizarre misremembered dream you had is just a hallmark of growing up. I don't know if that's going to happen to my seven year old though. Everything I've seen her watch seems to be much more focus-grouped than the 80's and early 90's, practically designed to wedge itself into the memory center of a kid's brain so they want to buy the toys. It's going to be interesting seeing what she remembers in ~20 years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

god, under the umbrella tree, eureka's castle, there's a lot poo poo mentioned that I recognized.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I super wouldn't argue that today's cartoons are more focused grouped than 80s cartoons that were literally walking toy advertisements.

If anything, there'd probably be more of the 'vaguely remembered cartoon I saw once or twice' going on now between the shift in content distribution and the increase in small animation serials. Over the Garden Wall was really good but you really don't see people talking about it anymore. I imagine it'll be even worse in ten, fiftern years. Buddy Thunderstruck was charming as hell but that got a single season on Netflix like two years ago and some kind of CYOA interactive thing? But otherwise, it's pretty much dead. No real toys or merch either.

Though, with how basically everything is catalogued and has a wikipedia article on it now, they probably won't be so difficult to find.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s always wild how many terrible cartoons stay with you.

Pole Position (with amazing title song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_xGfrdbhY

Super obscure UK show Telebugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMAYcwJkgo

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I also remember some of the cartoons I saw during my three year stint in England. There was one about a futuristic world dictator, dressed like a French aristocrat (because of course), who banned all music. In turn, these talking instruments fought back to free the world from his tyranny, notably the show's namesake character, a flying blue piano named Oscar. Unfortunately I forget the full name of the show, but Oscar's name was definitely in it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know if that's going to happen to my seven year old though. Everything I've seen her watch seems to be much more focus-grouped than the 80's and early 90's, practically designed to wedge itself into the memory center of a kid's brain so they want to buy the toys.
I think if YT ever completely shits the bed we'll see some really weird memoryholed stuff. Like my kid is wild for this dumb pre-K character named Blippi. Dude's got licensed shoes, a stage show, and halloween costume poo poo in addition to 2 kids CDs. And as far as I can tell, it's all off of YT views.

Same with the PinkFong Baby Shark stuff.

It'd be like everyone going "Hey remember Pinwheel!?" except it never became Nickelodeon and just quietly shuttered off of basic cable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I also remember some of the cartoons I saw during my three year stint in England. There was one about a futuristic world dictator, dressed like a French aristocrat (because of course), who banned all music. In turn, these talking instruments fought back to free the world from his tyranny, notably the show's namesake character, a flying blue piano named Oscar. Unfortunately I forget the full name of the show, but Oscar's name was definitely in it.

Oscar’s Orchestra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yNmdwxSW0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ishikabibble posted:

I super wouldn't argue that today's cartoons are more focused grouped than 80s cartoons that were literally walking toy advertisements.

If anything, there'd probably be more of the 'vaguely remembered cartoon I saw once or twice' going on now between the shift in content distribution and the increase in small animation serials. Over the Garden Wall was really good but you really don't see people talking about it anymore. I imagine it'll be even worse in ten, fiftern years. Buddy Thunderstruck was charming as hell but that got a single season on Netflix like two years ago and some kind of CYOA interactive thing? But otherwise, it's pretty much dead. No real toys or merch either.

Though, with how basically everything is catalogued and has a wikipedia article on it now, they probably won't be so difficult to find.

Heavy agree, old cartoons were both way more mercenary in how they were marketed and also had way more restrictions on what they were allowed to portray. Also they were designed entirely based on what was supposed to appeal to kids while now every other "kids" show seems to be aimed as much at adults who watch childrens cartoons in the same way that contemporary YA is dominated by adult readers.

The future is kids being nostalgic for weird YouTube videos in the same way that zoomers are for Vines that are lost forever in endless unsearchable mega-compilations or are twenty pages deep in a KnowYourMeme gallery.