Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

First time I ever walked into kabukicho in 2010 lots of pimps would come at me from all sides trying to get me to follow them to places, never seems to happen now. Did they clean the place up or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Shibawanko posted:

First time I ever walked into kabukicho in 2010 lots of pimps would come at me from all sides trying to get me to follow them to places, never seems to happen now. Did they clean the place up or something?

Those were probably barkers not pimps.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Whenever I've been in kabukicho at night a million touts immediately swarm upon me. I probably look like an easy mark

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

netcat posted:

Whenever I've been in kabukicho at night a million touts immediately swarm upon me. I probably look like an easy mark

You look foreign. They swarm on anyone who looks like a foreigner.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just FYI to any tourists in town. Yamanote line is shutdown between Osaki and Ueno until around 4PM today.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 15, 2019

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone have a feel for how busy Tokyo is going to be during the Paralympics? There's some rare award flight availability that would have me in Tokyo starting right at the tail end of the Paralympics (sept 4-11ish). How screwed would I be for hotel availability and the like?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Archer666 posted:

You look foreign. They swarm on anyone who looks like a foreigner.

My question is, for which shops do they swarm foreigners

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
For anyone going to Ginza Steak and finding it booked, I highly recommend the yakiniku place right across the street called Oreno Yakiniku. Pretty sure it is part of a chain, but perhaps not.

1000g of A5 for 14,000yen. More than enough for three people. Still trying to walk it off...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

Does anyone have a feel for how busy Tokyo is going to be during the Paralympics? There's some rare award flight availability that would have me in Tokyo starting right at the tail end of the Paralympics (sept 4-11ish). How screwed would I be for hotel availability and the like?

Paralympics will be quieter than the Olympics because it's a smaller, shorter event. There will be less media staff and foreign tour groups.
Will you be flying alone? You can always squeeze into a hostel, capsule, or goon's loving embrace…

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Stay in a 24h internet cafe

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Also, if anyone loves beer, the guest ESB at BrewDog in Roppongi is amazing. Definitely the best ESB I ever had. The British bartender who used to work for Fullers agreed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stay in a tarp and plywood city with all the other people who are totally not homeless what the gently caress are you talking about there are no homeless people in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Stay in a tarp and plywood city with all the other people who are totally not homeless what the gently caress are you talking about there are no homeless people in Japan.

lol as if they aren't going to be *ahem* relocated before the Olympics get started.

the Paralympics are still a major international event, so try to book hotels sooner than later if possible. I know that the involved nations have already started booking because the Great Britain committee has complained about the number and quality of wheelchair accessible rooms in area hotels.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(PS you probably won't Olympics period reservations open online yet. It's all irl and phone negotiation. )

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

peanut posted:

(PS you probably won't Olympics period reservations open online yet. It's all irl and phone negotiation. )

Yeah, the reason I first double checked dates and realized the Paralympics was still happening was that I was window shopping hotels and noticed quite a few showed no availability - but I'm unsure if they are actually fully booked or just holding back opening reservations for that dates so that Olympics related things can do block bookings first.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/venue/
https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/venue/paralympic/

Check the maps of event locations (stay away from Odaiba). You can see that the Skytree area and Asakusa isn't hosting any Paralympic events. If in doubt, how about staying in Yokohama or Kawasaki?

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
As a New Yorker I have to say that the pizza at Seirinkan is as good as advertised. Perhaps the best pizza crust I’ve ever tasted in my life.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
How does it compare to Rocco's?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Original_Z posted:

How does it compare to Rocco's?

It's Neopolitan not New York style.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
The place around the corner from our hotel is selling Blanton bourbon for ¥500/glass. Big fan of Kyoto!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Slow Graffiti posted:

The place around the corner from our hotel is selling Blanton bourbon for ¥500/glass. Big fan of Kyoto!

That sounds pretty cheap. My mom just got a bottle from a neighbor.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

That sounds pretty cheap. My mom just got a bottle from a neighbor.

My brother in law is tagging along with us and is a big bourbon fan. Apparently because it was bottled almost 30 years ago he couldn’t even say what it would cost in a bar in the US given its rarity. He was guessing $100/pour. It’s a nice find.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

People go apeshit trying to find Japanese whisky in Japan but great bourbon is everywhere! Good find.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

zmcnulty posted:

People go apeshit trying to find Japanese whisky in Japan but great bourbon is everywhere! Good find.

It really is amazing. I definitely prefer bourbon to whiskey and this country is like a paradise. Brother in law told me he has a buddy from a bourbon forum that brought 22 bottles back to the states last year. Just packed checked luggage and rolled the dice that US customs wouldn’t check.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
And now we’ve discovered that Mac Bar in Hiroshima is one of the best bars in the world. Their cd collection is amazing and we might not ever leave.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Pope will be in Hiroshima this weekend. Say Hey for me.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

coronalight fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 16, 2022

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

peanut posted:

The Pope will be in Hiroshima this weekend. Say Hey for me.

Our hotel is right near the dome, but unfortunately we’re grabbing an early Shinkansen tomorrow morning. I’ll pop into the mass at the Tokyo Dome on the 25th and tell him you say hi.

Edit: Currently wandering around Miyajima on this gorgeous day. I can sit and drink a beer and watch deer randomly accost unsuspecting tourists for hours.

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 23, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

scotty posted:

While back someone posted an x-rated video of a dude making your typical go pro tourist video of Tokyo. Anyone have a link?

e: found it edited — https://youtu.be/dmxXvyMX1Kk?list=FLpLByPx2p1zRvbYGPUBXSSg

The video is funny but the scale of prostitution in Tokyo bums me out big time.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Shibawanko posted:

Here’s a cute beer ad from Miyajima I saw today to cheer you up!

Edit: Their red ale was delicious!

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 23, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Since I saw it at the Japanese grocery store in Seattle I decided to grab some natto and give it a try. It was fine. Didn't seem to have much of a flavor at all. In the end my biggest issue was the texture so I sliced up a green onion and dumped that in to give it some texture to bite into. I think natto's reputation is over selling how gross it. Or maybe I got a bad package that's insufficiently natto-ing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

captkirk posted:

Since I saw it at the Japanese grocery store in Seattle I decided to grab some natto and give it a try. It was fine. Didn't seem to have much of a flavor at all. In the end my biggest issue was the texture so I sliced up a green onion and dumped that in to give it some texture to bite into. I think natto's reputation is over selling how gross it. Or maybe I got a bad package that's insufficiently natto-ing.

Natto has a great taste and anyone who says it tastes bad is crazy. White rice with raw egg with soy sauce, chopped chives, a bit of mustard and natto is the best meal ever. Even animals love natto, my cat tries to steal it all the time and my dog always wants some when I'm having it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Natto is bush league gross compared to stinky tofu. A stinky tofu cart smells like an open sewer from a hundred meters away.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you don't like the texture just image search for 爆弾納豆 for a whole bunch of options of poo poo you can add to natto, you can even throw in sashimi or kimchi or whatever vegetable really, it's very versatile

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

If you don't like the texture just image search for 爆弾納豆 for a whole bunch of options of poo poo you can add to natto, you can even throw in sashimi or kimchi or whatever vegetable really, it's very versatile

Ah, thanks for the search term! I was thinking about making tenkasu to try with natto.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Is it the scale of prostitution in Tokyo, or is it that every other city in the world just hides it better?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It does feel like the sex industry in Tokyo is literally everywhere in every neighborhood, while it's more localized to specific red light districts in other cities. But it might just be better hidden. I'm not very familiar with it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's definitely bigger in Tokyo than in other places

Like Osaka doesn't even have a single soapland

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 24, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Wait, is prostitution not illegal in Japan?

Or are they just very lax about the rules and let people run these things out in the open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Prostitution in Japan is a weird gray area where it's sort of illegal but it depends on specific sex acts, so those blowjob bars are not considered prostitution.

But I mean, lol. Prostitution is illegal in South Korea and you literally cannot walk more than 15 minutes in a Korean city without passing somewhere you can get a prostitute. It's inescapable once you know what you're looking for. There's just no enforcement.