Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

Mandalorians are a culture, not a race or species. Jango Fett was a Mandalorian, but was shunned by Mandalorian government for being too crazy or whatever, so they like banished him or whatever equivalent and he became a bounty hunter. His homeworld is Concord Dawn, which is in Mandalorian Space.

Wookiepedia says moops dude.

Canon
"Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[4] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but his exact history was unknown, much to Fett's enjoyment. While he did wear Mandalorian armor,[1] officials of Mandalore disavowed any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8] However, Fett's armor itself was fashioned from durasteel alloy, while most Mandalorian armor was made from beskar."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A history nerd friend was a little lost following what was up with Herzog and the Stormtroopers in The Mandolorian, so I explained it to her likening it to a roman rector provincae still trying to keep his little slice of land Roman after the battle of the Catalaunian Plains (Endor).

Basically wrapping stone sci fi nerd poo poo in history like putting a heart worm pill in a hot dog for your dog.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now I'm imagining a Star Wars style Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider where every temple is just loving wild.

The whole first scene of the first Indiana movie would be easy to translate to scifi, right down to the escape by plane from angry native peoples at the end.

Thinking about it, it would be so easy to just move the entire Indiana Jone setting to space. We have ruined temples, like on Yavin 4, we've got space nazis, we have shady dives and gilded palaces. Everything we need.

Someone said earlier that The Mandalorian was made to scratch the Space Cowboy itch that Firefly left and that makes a kind of sense.

I want a show to scratch the itch left by Indiana Jones.

You are literally asking for a Doctor Aphra series. I support it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That'd be a great way to explore lore of different Star Wars species, sounds like a fun idea

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Rocksicles posted:

Canon
"Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[4] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but his exact history was unknown, much to Fett's enjoyment. While he did wear Mandalorian armor,[1] officials of Mandalore disavowed any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8] However, Fett's armor itself was fashioned from durasteel alloy, while most Mandalorian armor was made from beskar."

That explains why the clone troopers/stormtroopers sucked at battle, they weren't the genetic material of a master warrior they were clones of a mandalorian weeb, a wealorian?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
His heart melted.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1195450147666350080

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

dudeness posted:

That explains why the clone troopers/stormtroopers sucked at battle, they weren't the genetic material of a master warrior they were clones of a mandalorian weeb, a wealorian?

No more than it was explained before, really; old EU Jango was adopted and trained by someone who only became a Mandalorian after he got fired from being a space sheriff.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I knew I recognized the new helmet design from somewhere

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Like the Jawas. Why are they on this planet? Are Jawas a spacefaring race? Do they build the sandcrawlers themselves?

I mean....Tatooine has a space port. They can pay to go wherever they want. So yes?

They prob build it themselves. In a universe with space ships Minivan:Only Bigger, doesn't seem too hard to pull off for them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah even if Jawas are too dumb to fly their own spaceships it doesn't take too much imagination to picture one clan chartering a space greyhound to a planet reputed to have good salvage.

Man, Jakuu must be their Graceland, Disneyworld, and Mecca all rolled into one.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now I'm imagining a Star Wars style Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider where every temple is just loving wild.

The whole first scene of the first Indiana movie would be easy to translate to scifi, right down to the escape by plane from angry native peoples at the end.

Thinking about it, it would be so easy to just move the entire Indiana Jone setting to space. We have ruined temples, like on Yavin 4, we've got space nazis, we have shady dives and gilded palaces. Everything we need.

Someone said earlier that The Mandalorian was made to scratch the Space Cowboy itch that Firefly left and that makes a kind of sense.

I want a show to scratch the itch left by Indiana Jones.

Hello yes you've just described the brand new videogame Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order which came out last week.

Here is a 3 hour 'movie' with the cutscenes and story elements from the game, which is canon like battlefront 2 singleplayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGnZJpvbTg

You can spend a dozen hours running and jumping around caves and tombs and killing stormtroopers with a lightsaber.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rocksicles posted:

Canon

Oh interesting. Sounds like a fraud to me! A poser Mandalorian, lmao. That makes Boba Fett's character even better. What a loser.

dudeness posted:

Lmao, yeah this. That's great. Fett was just a weeb.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where the hell is all this extra information about armor and planets coming from? The animated TV shows or something?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where the hell is all this extra information about armor and planets coming from? The animated TV shows or something?

Extended universe stuff. so novels, video games, comics and encyclopedias, etc

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

dudeness posted:

My instincts tell me "mandalaboo" would be the better name?
Maybe standalorian?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

The databank on the Star Wars website has identified all the planets from Mandalorian so far

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So how do those tracker things work? How does everyone seem to have a tracker for Baby Yoda? How did the Mando have one for the bounty at the beginning of the first episode? Why is everyone lojacked suddenly?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frankly I hope they never explain it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The specific way chain codes and fobs function is probably best left vague. They are a plot device that acts as a target-specific dowsing rod.

If you need a Hard Science Fiction explanation, maybe it's a normal practice that condition of bail, prison sentencing, etc you get a radio transmitter implant to keep you honest. Baby Yoda has one because ???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, it doesn't bother me or anything. I was just curious.

mystes
May 31, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

So how do those tracker things work? How does everyone seem to have a tracker for Baby Yoda? How did the Mando have one for the bounty at the beginning of the first episode? Why is everyone lojacked suddenly?
Maybe there can be another thread where star wars fans post 10 page essays on how these things work.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean....Tatooine has a space port. They can pay to go wherever they want. So yes?

They prob build it themselves. In a universe with space ships Minivan:Only Bigger, doesn't seem too hard to pull off for them.

Why couldn't it have just been on Tatooine? Is Tatooine so sacred now that all the Disney stuff has to make up ersatz planets?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why couldn't it have just been on Tatooine? Is Tatooine so sacred now that all the Disney stuff has to make up ersatz planets?

I mean they are kind of painted into a corner since if it had been Tatooine the refrain would be "ugh, why does everything happen on Tatooine it makes this supposedly huge galaxy seem so small?"

And for a TV budget it would be hard to do justice to something really exotic like Felucia.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

"Desert planet" seems like the default kind of planet. I mean, we've even got one in our solar system.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It wasn't even a desert

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's hard not to think of it as Tattooine either way, with people speaking Huttese, Jawas, Salacious Crumb over an open fire, etc.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

Oh interesting. Sounds like a fraud to me! A poser Mandalorian, lmao. That makes Boba Fett's character even better. What a loser.

Lmao, yeah this. That's great. Fett was just a weeb.

isnt this just the new disney canon though? retconning classic beloved characters to Actually be huge loving losers unlike our New Awesome characters feels like a lot of new canon’s thing so far

idk all I remember about Jango was something to do with being adopted by like a death squad on Concord Dawn and some bad history with the Montross rear end in a top hat Mandalorian guy

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Boba Fett was dunked on by a blind guy with a stick. He was "officially" a loser back then as well.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Mandrel posted:

isnt this just the new disney canon though? retconning classic beloved characters to Actually be huge loving losers unlike our New Awesome characters feels like a lot of new canon’s thing so far

This is Lucas overseen Clone Wars canon, before the Disney purchase. GL really liked crapping on a lot of EU stuff through the Clone Wars series back in the day.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Elentor posted:

I just want to point out the show has been going all in on showing off every irritating creature in the SW universe being horribly destroyed. In Ep 1 we see the species of Salacious B. Crumb being fried while a captive member watches it in horror, and in this episode we see Pascal disintegrating a bunch of Jawas.

I'm terrified to see what happens when we encounter a Gungan :barf:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Bubbacub posted:

I'm terrified to see what happens when we encounter a Gungan :barf:

Or Jake Lloyd

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pez posted:

Or Jake Lloyd

“You guys wanna buy some Kashyyykian weed?”

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Donovan Trip posted:

You're talking in a thread about a TV series based loosely on a character that LOOKS like a character with 3 minutes of screen time that people have been obsessed with for nearly 50 years

Eh, Boba Fett madness kind of peaked in the mid-late 90s when Star Wars was kind of experiencing a resurgence for us early millennials thanks to the card game, video games like Dark Forces and X-Wing, and a bunch of new Power of the Force toys. We were absolutely positive Shadows of the Empire was gonna be the next film, and Boba was featured heavily in that and still had a great deal of mystique behind him.

By the time they put him on screen in AotC, I think we had all moved on and nobody gave a poo poo about him anymore. This is just my take for being in that kind of sweet spot for the age group anyway.

Joke Miriam posted:

My instincts tell me "mandalaboo" would be the better name?
Maybe standalorian?
I propose we repurpose Karen Traviss’s “Fandalorian”.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone else get a mogwai vibe from baby yoda?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Absolutely

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like that while I'm sure it will end up in a Hitman with a Heart of Gold place, right now every protective thing he's done for the baby is plausibly out of mercenary self-interest because he doesn't just want half that container of beskar. I mean if he really cared about the kid he'd let Nick Ugnaughtly babysit instead of dragging it along to a space monster's lair in the hoverpram, but he's not going to let that payday out of arm's reach.

My guess is he follows through all the way to the handover and finds out that Herzog is going to make Midichlorian Adrenochrome out of it or whatever nefarious thing and completes his face turn there.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've had this little Gizmo for ages, and I'm not gonna lie, when the baby Yoda appeared, I hoped they were going to make one like it.

I don't even particularly like Star Wars.

:negative:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

after looking at ludwig goransson's other work, i realized what the mandalorian theme reminds me of: rocky

it's going the distance

2:10 to 2:36 of "you are a mandalorian" nails it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004