Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Julius CSAR posted:

Rey eats that wierd fruit salad that's like fractal broccoli on top of a peach in Force Awakens

I thought it was really jarring and inappropriate when she winked at Maz Kanata and said "I could eat a space-peach for hours"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

But you can understand how those are different, right? Of course it's silly to extrapolate that all members of an intelligent race have the same occupation, but it's reasonable to categorize broader characteristics of a species like height and intelligence. It would be reasonable for there to be a Hutt baker and a Hutt accountant, but you could probably guess that Jabba the Hutt approximates the kind of appearance and intelligence that you can expect from a Hutt. So when we see a bunch of Jawas who are short people who don't seem to be very smart, it's probable that there's not a Planet of the Jawas that's the pinnacle of galactic science and philosophy

Check out ANH again, not all of the Jawas are short, there's at least one that approaches Owen's height iirc.

Sydin posted:

Palpatine sure, but as far as the Prequels were concerned Dooku was just a guy. The flavor that Dooku was Yoda's former Padawan which would have added some actual emotional weight to the fight only exists in the EU, AFAIK. At least ANH gave us "yeah Vader was a pupil of mine, then he turned to evil, betrayed, and murdered your father" which gets you emotionally invested in watching Alec Guinness and David "I cannot see poo poo through this loving helmet" Prowse awkwardly bump into one another while holding sticks for 15 seconds.

Yoda does say "my old padawan" or something like that during the fight.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That would actually own and a cool bit of sci-fi strangeness, rather than the predictable reality in the Star Wars universe that every Wookie is very similar tall as gently caress Native American analogues. That's another really stupid part of Star Wars since the prequels (and I guess dumb non-canon EU garbage): How every race in the galaxy has their own planet conveniently conforming to their culture/physiology/etc.

lol why the heck would any race come from a planet that's ill-suited to their culture and physiology, like how would they have developed otherwise?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Phantom menace is like the least bad prequel fight me binches

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Watching the mandalorian now, it's pretty dope. Good sets, scenery, and costumes. It feels like it takes place in a big galaxy removed from the Skywalker family drama, and it's doing a decent Western antihero action arc.

Yoda baby is cute

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

You’re correct. Machete order is 45236. Basically for people who hate Jar Jar and Yippeekin Spinwalker

the blogger that invented machete order explicitly founded it on the idea that Star Wars is Luke’s story and the Anakin stuff was just an excursus to explain the “I am your father” stuff. But this was in 2011. The sequels put paid to that notion. Star Wars is about how the galaxy sucks rear end, war is a racket, lasting peace is unachievable, civilization disintegrates and good people fall into evil before occasionally, temporarily backsliding (frontsliding?) into good. Also merchandising.

actually star wars is about Sheev Palpatine so the correct order to watch is 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's a legit opinion. AotC is the worst one, I don't think there can be a question.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

lol why the heck would any race come from a planet that's ill-suited to their culture and physiology, like how would they have developed otherwise?

Because it feels extremely artificial when Chewbacca's race has his own planet, but so does Jabba the Hutt, Mace Windu (literal black people planet), Aayla Secura, and everyone else too. It's theme park bullshit.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I also appreciate the restraint they're showing by making the googas relatively low tech and the main character capable but beatable and his victories hard fought

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah, Attack of the Clones is the worst one by far and Revenge of the Sith is an embarrassingly clumsy conclusion to Anakin's story. TPM is a horrible movie... but it's probably the least bad of the trio. Somehow, even with Jar Jar's awful minstrel antics and a whole bunch of nothing happening besides the okay-ish Darth Maul battle towards the end.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Because it feels extremely artificial when Chewbacca's race has his own planet, but so does Jabba the Hutt, Mace Windu (literal black people planet), Aayla Secura, and everyone else too. It's theme park bullshit.

I'm not understanding your complaint here.

Like where are they supposed to come from, in your view? It sounds to me like you're over here rolling your eyes like, "oh, of course the fish people come from a water planet, how convenient"

Would it be less "artificial" or objectionable if they came from a desert planet?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

aotc is redeemed solely for the one actual scene of war in the star wars setting. it’s kind of terrifying if you think about being one of the combatants that’s not a space wizard that can feel lasers coming at you

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Each prequel trilogy movie improves hugely on the one before it. Lucas was basically relearning how to actually make movies again after spending fifteen years executively producing and letting everyone else do all the creative labor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's more like the inverse. The earlier prequel flicks are more daring, the later get more fanservicey, to the point that they end with a recreation of Luke's iconic step into his hero quest.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I've also heard a rumor that the entire final lightsaber fight in Ep3 was directed by Spielberg

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a soft spot for Phantom Menace even though it's objectively loving terrible. Like it's the one Lucas essentially had 100% control over every aspect of, so it best reflects what "Star Wars" is to Lucas. The way he portrayed the Jedi in particular is really interesting: psuedo-aristocracy who sit in a fancy temple all day being "wise" but refusing to actually be proactive in exercising their power for good. Qui-Gon is the ony one willing to be proactive and has friction with the Jedi Council because of it, but even he's a manipulative opportunist who's more than happy to lie, cheat, and steal to get what he wants. He's very similar to how Obi-Wan was portrayed in ANH, which is a neat callback if intended. Yes 90% of the movie is garbage but it's fascinating garbage.

The Dual of Fates is also phenomenal even if Maul is narratively and thematically an even weaker villain than Dooku. Easily the best fight in the prequels, probably the third best in the series behind both Luke vs Vader fights.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 19, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's more like the inverse. The earlier prequel flicks are more daring, the later get more fanservicey, to the point that they end with a recreation of Luke's iconic step into his hero quest.

TPM is absolutely daring, but in the same way that outsider art is daring. Im absolutely glad that a multizillionaire with four chins decided to invest his riches in making a kid movie with fart jokes and jive talking frogman Michael Jackson, and also corporate-fascist robot slaves putting an entire planet in concentration camps over predatory international capitalism reasons. But am also glad that he learned not to do it twice.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

TK-42-1 posted:

aotc is redeemed solely for the one actual scene of war in the star wars setting. it’s kind of terrifying if you think about being one of the combatants that’s not a space wizard that can feel lasers coming at you

The second half of Rogue One is an actual Star Wars war movie and it's amazingly great balls-to-the-loving-wall intense action, unlike the dreadfully boring poorly directed Jedi war sequence in AotC. poo poo almost put me to sleep. It's that bad.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 19, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rogue One is loving boring

They should have released the tank attack scene as a short and then cut the rest of the movie in favor of a featurette where Mads Mikkelsen explains imperial superweaponry in soothing tones

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm not understanding your complaint here.

Like where are they supposed to come from, in your view? It sounds to me like you're over here rolling your eyes like, "oh, of course the fish people come from a water planet, how convenient"

Would it be less "artificial" or objectionable if they came from a desert planet?

I read a book ages ago, can't remember the name, where the human protagonist chats with his new alien friend and asks "oh, are you from a swamp planet?" and the alien responds, "no, are you from a planet capable of sustaining life that has a single biome?" or something along those lines. Which seemed a bit smarmy, considering that the vast majority of known world do indeed, have a singe biome (although since none of the known ones have lifeforms, I suppose that's a fair argument).

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The second half of Rogue One is an actual Star Wars war movie and it's amazingly great balls-to-the-loving-wall intense action, unlike the dreadfully boring poorly directed Jedi war sequence in AotC. poo poo almost put me to sleep. It's that bad.

I agree. I’m just talking specifically about the scene with the dust storm and the clones meeting the droids where there’s just a shitload of blaster bolts and rockets and crap exploding everywhere. it’s maybe a minute or two tops but i love it. it’s the same reason i liked the scenes in solo where he was infantry just getting obliterated in a ww1 style clusterfuck of extremely violence. that part of solo is the best 40k imperial guard piece of media ever filmed

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mace Windu (literal black people planet)

Ligon II?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And the reason he's pretty much the only black guy in star wars is simple, they are all gay.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Lando isn't gay he hosed a robot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

All I'm saying is there ain't a black women planet in star wars

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Lando isn't gay he hosed a robot

He's a romo?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

At least The Phantom Menace was made on film stock and had some sets that were physically extant in the real world, that’s probably all it needs to be the best of the worst TM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Check out ANH again, not all of the Jawas are short, there's at least one that approaches Owen's height iirc.

The gently caress? Show me this monster jawa I must see it

e: wait are you sure you're not just thinking of the ice yeti from empire? i guess that could be a jawa since we're arguing that any member of a species could have arbitrary physical characteristics, maybe mace windu was actually a Tauntaun

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 19, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Solo and Rogue One also have some war scenes, although the one in Solo is like 2 seconds and seems to basically be trench warfare, which i wouldn't think could even be a thing when you have space ships

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kaincypher posted:

I read a book ages ago, can't remember the name, where the human protagonist chats with his new alien friend and asks "oh, are you from a swamp planet?" and the alien responds, "no, are you from a planet capable of sustaining life that has a single biome?" or something along those lines. Which seemed a bit smarmy, considering that the vast majority of known world do indeed, have a singe biome (although since none of the known ones have lifeforms, I suppose that's a fair argument).

You're thinking of climates, you have to have life in order to have a biome

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The gently caress? Show me this monster jawa I must see it

Probably thinking of one of these.

But you don't get to see them next to Owen, and even then they aren't even that tall, just not that squat (probably played by someone who's just a little short, rather than little people or children). They're still shorter than C-3P0 and Anthony Daniels isn't that tall of a dude.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
So new Star Wars is out in a month, but there doesn't seem to any anticipation or major media push. No advance leaks, releases, or reviews so far. Will it flop? Does anyone care?I

The Mandalorian is good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Laterite posted:

So new Star Wars is out in a month, but there doesn't seem to any anticipation or major media push. No advance leaks, releases, or reviews so far. Will it flop? Does anyone care?I

The Mandalorian is good.

It's pretty reminiscent of the leadup to Solo. Like they kind of just want to push it out and hope it'll either do well or that people will just forget so they can move on.

That second Mandalorian episode actually kind of make me enjoy Star Wars again, I didn't see Solo and probably never will and I don't think I'll be watching the new one either (at least not in the theater), but that second Mandalorian epsode I liked. It's still a bit early to tell but I feel like stuff like Mandalorian is what they should be doing with Star Wars if you absolutely have to keep making them, smaller scale (though Mandalorian is a very expensive TV show) shows, and video games (I have no interest in that Fallen Order game, but people seem to like it) and probably try to build up some good will before they try their hands at movies again, if they have to (they have to).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 19, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

solo is good just for the post-credits scene where a digitally de-aged Harrison Ford is sitting in the Millenium Falcon and he says "Where should we go to next, Chewie?" then Chewbacca mugs at the camera and says "Maclunkey"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Maclunkey Wars :imunfunny:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Laterite posted:

Someone posted an engagement graph a few pages back, literally no one gives a gently caress about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
AotC is the best Star War

Don't @ me

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Mandolorian Ep3 was pretty good but I think they dropped the ball with the whole "now you have a baby palpatine to go along with your yoda!" I did laugh when the puppet peed force lightening.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Torquemada posted:

Someone posted an engagement graph a few pages back, literally no one gives a gently caress about it.

To quote Luke, I care.

But it is kind of funny that the no-show allies in TLJ is looking kind of prophetic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard that in the original script for Solo Han asks chewie what his name is, and then he replies in clear English "Chewbacca", and this good good joke is the reason Kasdan started working to get Lord & Miller fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I heard that in the original script for Solo Han asks chewie what his name is, and then he replies in clear English "Chewbacca", and this good good joke is the reason Kasdan started working to get Lord & Miller fired.

lol