Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Lmao. That’s what I thought.

Well, I'm glad we're in agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I just can't get over the moral of Poe's story being "just shut up and do as you're told, don't ask questions, your bosses know what they're doing and you have no right to an explanation".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Owen Lars is a military general ?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

euphronius posted:

Lars Skywalker is a military general ?

Are you having a stroke?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I fixed it: Owen Lars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jedi general Owen Lars ????

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

Are you having a stroke?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SimonCat posted:

It's a picture of a woman who is an officer in the Navy. She looks professional and that she belongs on the bridge of a ship. If she was wearing an evening dress no one would assume she was in the command structure. I used a picture of an actual uniform as it was easier to find.

you're confusing star wars and star trek. rebels / resistance are often shown in fighter pilot garb, but otherwise are they ever shown to have uniforms at all?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Uniforms are very important in a rigid command structure.
It lets you know right away who is who. If holden hasn’t got one it’s because filmmakers want us to think she is different, eccentric and (most importantly) not military

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asgerd posted:

I just can't get over the moral of Poe's story being "just shut up and do as you're told, don't ask questions, your bosses know what they're doing and you have no right to an explanation".

The moral to his character arc is "don't be a hero", which is also the moral to Finn's character arc. It's also the moral that all of Leia's contacts seem to abide by since none of them decide to be a hero and show up. Rose goes into a coma to stop Finn from being a hero, her dying words are essentially "don't be a hero". Holdo is a hero and dies. Luke says don't be a hero and then decides to be one one last time and immediately dies.

TLJ is so nihilistic and centrist. Don't be a hero, just follow orders. Things are bad just try and hold out for later. Don't fight the things you hate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Uniforms are very important in a rigid command structure.
It lets you know right away who is who. If holden hasn’t got one it’s because filmmakers want us to think she is different, eccentric and (most importantly) not military

Other than her appearance what is not military about her

Assuming her appearance isn’t military for arguments sake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The moral to his character arc is "don't be a hero", which is also the moral to Finn's character arc. It's also the moral that all of Leia's contacts seem to abide by since none of them decide to be a hero and show up. Rose goes into a coma to stop Finn from being a hero, her dying words are essentially "don't be a hero". Holdo is a hero and dies. Luke says don't be a hero and then decides to be one one last time and immediately dies.

TLJ is so nihilistic and centrist. Don't be a hero, just follow orders. Things are bad just try and hold out for later. Don't fight the things you hate.

It’s “fight for things not against things”

That’s different from “don’t be a hero”

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's stupid. Space Nazis are bad, and should be fought against.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rose Tico would tackle that guy about to punch Richard Spencer and tell him to fight for things he loves, don't punch Nazis

Finn it is wrong to sacrifice your life so that your friends can escape, you have to fight for things you love

Luke: *sacrifices his life so his friends can escape*

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Polo-Rican posted:

you're confusing star wars and star trek. rebels / resistance are often shown in fighter pilot garb, but otherwise are they ever shown to have uniforms at all?

Uh, yes?

And all the fighter pilots wear the same orange uniform, with the bomber pilots wearing tan. The Resistance is hardly a motley crew where everyone is wearing whatever. The maintenance guys all wear a similar thing, the pilots all wear a similar thing, and the military command staff all seem to wear a brown jacket with dark brown pants. That guy in the last shot is even called an Admiral on Wookieepedia. Even Leia's above outfit is remarkably similar to what the Resistance medic wears.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 19, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Wild Horses posted:

in the visual language of star wars, earthen-colored robes = wise, worldly, jedilike, has inner power. they honestly couldn't be clearer with this!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Leia wasn't a military member until Empire after which she wore military clothing. They put Holdo in a flowing dress because they were trying to evoke something from the previous films they failed to understand. She could very well be a civilian leader in charge of the fleet though, that could have been more interesting.

I doubt someone who's that blatantly, and openly, of an rear end in a top hat would ever make it far enough to be an admiral or whatever she was.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Not that this hasn't been pointed out before, but it's really notable how grounded the first two trilogies are in political conflicts with extremely clear real world analogues (democracy falling into despotism and insurgency/civil war). What is the ST even depicting? The closest thing seems to be Weimar Germany but, like, really dumb.

Well that’s where we get into the authentically feminist take: factoring in all the socioeconomic context with her actions, Holdo knows the Resistance is poo poo. She could send people to activate the radio but doesn’t, because she knows in her heart that there’ll be no response. No backup is on the way.

So, while she’s trying to keep morale up with inspirational speeches, Holdo’s actual goal is now merely to quit. The Resistance is over. They already have infinitely less support and funding under the New Republic than the Rebel Alliance did under the fuckin' Empire. No shields, no radios. Janky, prequel-era bombers. The Resistance is widely despised except by kids who still think James Bond is cool because he uses gadgets.

This is why Holdo is so ready to sacrifice the three remaining ships, and why she prevents Poe fighting back. There’s no future for this organization. All she can do is minimize casualties.

Keep in mind, of course, that Poe is also an idiot. A single rocket took out his entire airforce, and now his plan is to blow up these millions of capital ships, one-by-one, with harebrained schemes?

This isn’t a Death Star situation where the baddies were in a tenuous position and put all their eggs in one basket. The First Order has ascended virtually unopposed, with overwhelming popular support and a stronger military than Palpatine’s. They don’t need fear to keep the local systems in line, because they are the local systems.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 19, 2019

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holdo's home planet genuinely sounds like it was made up by chuds making a parody of "woke identity politics".

Wookieepedia posted:

Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising.

They widely practiced skyfaring, a form of calisthenics exercise involving the use of scarves to climb wooden scaffolding and suspend themselves in midair, and had a purpose-built skyfaring room within the Gatalentan senatorial complex on Coruscant. Advanced practioners of skyfaring were able to meditate in place, "unmoored to the ground," and so enhance their spiritual well-being and that of those around them. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.

Gatelenta was ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free. The Gatalentan people were known for living austerely, wearing only pale grey or white clothing, the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional scarlet cloaks. In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Jedi Purge.

Gatalentan tea was the planet's most popular export along with a healthy meat-substitute known as soypro which could even be found in the Outer Rim Territories. Leia Organa was particularly fond of this tea.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

euphronius posted:

Appearance IS what the military is. Everything is about the look, the uniform, the rank.
Someone telling you they’re military is irrelevant

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Her attitude towards her subordinates is condescending, she created a toxic command climate, and she failed to share key pieces of information of the operation with people who would have to support it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asgerd posted:

Holdo's home planet genuinely sounds like it was made up by chuds making a parody of "woke identity politics".

Of course they loved austerity

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Her attitude towards her subordinates is condescending,

That’s a strange criticism

She’s by definition superior to her subordinates

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Appearance IS what the military is. Everything is about the look, the uniform, the rank.
Someone telling you they’re military is irrelevant

I have no idea what your talking about so will admit I’m wrong I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

euphronius posted:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Asgerd posted:

I lol'd for real.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I don't think you really understand what "rebellion" or "resistance" mean.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you want to talk about "realistic," an officer in Holdo's position (taking an unfamiliar command in the middle of a high tension situation where their backs are against the wall) would have to be either actively fatalistic or unbelievably stupid to not loop people into their plans who might normally not be privy to it, as TLJ depicts the exact kind of situation where mutinies are a very real and present danger, because the people you are commanding aren't loyal to you, they're loyal to The Mission.

This disregards the fact that Holdo and Poe's dynamic isn't meant to depict a "realistic" command structure, they're supposed to depict how everything is Poe's fault for not respecting his betters, and that everything would have gone off without a hitch if he could have just sat down and been Still With Her.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 19, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asgerd posted:

I don't think you really understand what "rebellion" or "resistance" mean.

So... you are saying she’s not a military officer ? What are you saying

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Palpatine was in charge of the galaxy and outranked everyone, so why didn't the rebels just do what he told them? :confused:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asgerd posted:

Palpatine was in charge of the galaxy and outranked everyone, so why didn't the rebels just do what he told them? :confused:

?

They were in a different chain of command ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you under the impression that Holdo was a Sith or imperial ?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asgerd posted:

He didn't relay it properly through the chain of command. And couldn't.

It's Palpatine -> Tarkin -> Ozzle -> Antilles -> Leia -> and so on.

Tarkin can't just tell Leia to do something, by the start of Empire those first three links are gone so command breaks down

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

?

They were in a different chain of command ?

But Palpatine was the highest legal authority in the galaxy, so why didn't they defer to him?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asgerd posted:

But Palpatine was the highest legal authority in the galaxy, so why didn't they defer to him?

Do you know what a rebellion is ?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

Are you having a stroke?

No, this is just his posting

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Do you know what a rebellion is ?

I think it typically involves people who don't blindly defer to the proper authorites and accept whatever bullshit their "leaders" tell them without question?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asgerd posted:

I think it typically involves people who don't blindly defer to the proper authorites and accept whatever bullshit their "leaders" tell them without question?

Right so is the rebellion a military or not

Are we criticizing Holdo for being too military or not enough ??

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

euphronius posted:

Right so is the rebellion a military or not

Are we criticizing Holdo for being too military or not enough ??

She demands dumb grunt obedience from her subordinates while having none of the professionalism herself, that's the whole problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So she’s not ideally military based on some theory of military - or naval I guess - leadership ?