Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
This is turning into the DC United - Toronto FC game yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

And that's the dagger.

Still amazed the Reign made it this far after playing 31 different players this season.
I believe they have 7-9 players on the official Season-Ending Injury list, don't they?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

6, but one of those is Fishlock, who counts as at least 2 players.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
All up to Sam Kerr to save everyone from NC/Portland for the third year in a row

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
She's doing it so far.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

She's doing it so far.

And that's the only goal in the game.

I got to see both Portland teams get knocked out of the playoffs. :unsmigghh:

NWSL final will be the Chicago Red Stars at the North Carolina Courage (the finals venue rotates, this year it just happened to be NCC's venue), October 27th at 3:30PM EST on ESPN.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 20, 2019

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

NWSL Louisville announcement going on over here right now. Starting in 2021!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Well, Alex Morgan is pregnant so she's probably never playing another minute with Orlando!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xeria posted:

Well, Alex Morgan is pregnant so she's probably never playing another minute with Orlando!
Now if Marc Skinner never manages another game with Orlando things might start looking up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

NWSL final will be the Chicago Red Stars at the North Carolina Courage (the finals venue rotates, this year it just happened to be NCC's venue), October 27th at 3:30PM EST on ESPN.

Just about to kick off

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the Courage turn a 3-on-6 breakaway into a goal in the 4th minute.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So this game is kinda not-competitive.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Chicago looked...about as good as Chicago ever looks against a team that makes a concerted effort to take Kerr out of it. I hope she leaves to get money and grow more as a player, and makes Chicago have to figure out how to get goals consistently without a superstar striker.

Also lol McCaskill shouldn’t be starting for anyone.

Bring on the expansions (rip sky blue if they make serious changes to salary caps this offseason)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

whypick1 posted:

And the Courage turn a 3-on-6 breakaway into a goal in the 4th minute.

I saw that goal before we left to do a :golf: and the clowncar collision of Ertz taking out Naeher leaving an open net was, in retrospect an omen? I mean, I understand that Ertz is a national team stalwart, but there's times where she's just a blond ditz out there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And has been rumored for a while now:

https://twitter.com/USWNT/status/1188904791470039040

vvv Wow, how rude of them

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 28, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Already gone

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Got out ahead of the official USWNT announcement, it appears. Andonovski seems like a very solid pick, his players like him and he doesn't have that long to get the squad ready for the Olympics.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/Yael_Averbuch/status/1189321058635190274

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Good news: NWSL and their teams are opening up their pocketbooks next season. Salary cap goes up ~50%, teams now get allocation money to spend on transfer fees and pay extra to qualified players, teams now have to provide year-round housing (maybe one day the minimum contract won't be below the poverty line and teams won't have to provide housing).

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Norway news:

LSK won the title, as expected.

They also advanced to the cup final where they'll face off against their main rival Vålerenga.

And the Womens Football Association just announced that they've entered into a partnership with a private college to help professional footballers get a degree and still remain competitive. This was a major talking point last year when a national team player was barred from the last couple of World Championship qualifiers because she was getting a nursing degree and as part of it you need to take on a residency and the school refused to postpone it or help her make it work out until she went to the media about it. Then she dropped out the following summer and now she plays for Reading Women FC.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone here follow the WSL in England? Liverpool just lost the Merseyside Derby and still have the top teams to play. 6 matches with no wins and one draw. They still have to play Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Man United too.

I don't know how Liverpool avoid relegation at this point. There's not enough interest in the women's team and not enough quality in the management or the squad to do any of the multiple things needed to fish them out. It's a massive drop from a club whose women's team won their second league title just five years ago. No one has been completely forthright about why things have gone so wrong, which would be the starting point for things starting to go right.

At least the derby saw 23,000 people go to Anfield.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they looked underwhelming against villa in the cup, but i think that villa is very well positioned for promotion so there's not much of a gap (if any) between the two sides

it has made a very big difference for Villa this year that the club management has put significant focus on the women's team and provide a lot more resources.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Amazing what happens when you deign to hire a GM who gives at least a fraction of a poo poo about the team:

https://twitter.com/SkyBlueFC/status/1196473217872994305

From a rustbucket camper parked at the training field just to have a single bathroom present ("look! we definitely addressed your complaints!"), to playing your whole next season at Red Bull Arena.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

xeria posted:

Amazing what happens when you deign to hire a GM who gives at least a fraction of a poo poo about the team:

https://twitter.com/SkyBlueFC/status/1196473217872994305

From a rustbucket camper parked at the training field just to have a single bathroom present ("look! we definitely addressed your complaints!"), to playing your whole next season at Red Bull Arena.

That owns.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's a BFD, and excellent for Sky Blue.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Rumors turned out to be true:

https://twitter.com/ReignFC/status/1199028770356645890?s=19

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Arsenal beat Bristol City 11-1 today. Miedema was subbed at 10-0 with six goals and four assists.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Could this lead to cool loan deals and financial shenanigans?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Big Huski Boi posted:

Arsenal beat Bristol City 11-1 today. Miedema was subbed at 10-0 with six goals and four assists.

Shame they let one through

Brony Car posted:

Could this lead to cool loan deals and financial shenanigans?

Doubt it, probably.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan women beat Inter 4-1 in the coppa Italia to progress to the quarters. Very good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Miedema was required to have fun today and didn't like it one bit.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Big Huski Boi posted:

Miedema was required to have fun today and didn't like it one bit.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL offseason news catch-up:
  • Laura Harvey stepped down as coach of the Royals to instead coach the USWNT U-20s team.
  • Kealia Ohai traded from Houston to Chicago (in exchange for Katie Naughton).
  • Portland and Orlando supposedly working on a trade that would send the #1 2020 draft pick to Portland in exchange for Emily Sonnett and Midge Purce. Not sure if there are any other players/picks in play yet, and speculation is that Portland intends to use that pick to convince Sophia Smith to declare early (or Catarina Macario, but it sounds like the latter is more likely to stay in college another year).

highme
May 25, 2001

and the NWSL Commissioner (with just 1 year on the job) is stepping down to take a position with Orlando.

I'm going to be very upset if Midge gets traded.

https://twitter.com/ScoutRipley/status/1214347788919754753

highme fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 7, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I am very upset.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Wow Portland's shredding their roster in response to not making it to the final. Andressinha, Sonnett, Foord, Crnogorcevic, Purce, and Brynjarsdottir all gone. Seems like they're banking a whole lot on Rodriguez, Smith, and Mace lighting the world on fire to cover for lost roster pieces and Sinclair's continued decline.

highme
May 25, 2001

NWSL draft going on right now. Portland traded to get the first 2 picks and took Sophia Smith and Morgan Weaver.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

highme posted:

NWSL draft going on right now. Portland traded to get the first 2 picks and took Sophia Smith and Morgan Weaver.

Portland seems like they're banking an awful lot on those two (or at least Smith) being very good at pro-level, very quickly considering all the attacking talent they lost.

highme
May 25, 2001

Of the attacking players that are no longer players, Purce is the only one that really contributed on a regular basis. Foord & Crnogorcevic never really figured out how to put the ball in the net. Though, it sounds like Raso is off to Everton so that'll sting a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's honestly pretty cool that pro soccer is a viable enough option for a good player to leave peonage ball early to turn pro.

Here's a rundown on the NWSL draft.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 17, 2020