Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zonohedron posted:

So when high school kids get taught how to cross-examine opposing debaters, they're instructed not to ask questions where they don't know the answer; they're not asking because they're curious, they're asking so that the judge (or panel of judges, in finals rounds) hears the answer.

Castor apparently really thought that Pence's staff would think going to Canada was more important and would totally have dropped everything, and he keeps flailing around with followup questions because he's not getting the answers he expected.

Obviously this means that the Republicans need to hire some high schoolers to do this. Probably not a freshman, but a sophomore could probably do it okay.

yeah part of why he's so bad at this is that he already had literally hours at a deposition to feel out the answers to ALL these questions, yet he still keeps asking questions that are damaging to his case, like

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1196821548671340549

the average viewer doesn't even know that they cancelled a Pence visit to punish Ukraine. now they know something shady happened, which they didn't suspect before, even if they don't know exactly why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

oxsnard posted:

they take meticulous notes as part of the job and have agendas reviewed constantly

Yeah, I get it, but it's just so above my paygrade it's really impressive. I was on a conference call at work last week and I can name the people in the room with me, but I could not name all the people on the phone. It just points to the professionalism these people have.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1196823455318102016

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"Did you get offered defense minister?" "Yes" "Did you say yes?" "No" "Then what?" "I told my chain of command." "But it was an honor, right?" "It would be an honor to nurture developing democracies, but I'm an American. I came here when I was a toddler. I immediately dismissed the offers."

Castor's trying to prove that Vindman has allegiances to Ukraine, that he's un-American because he's an immigrant.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Haha, Ukraine offered Vindman the job of the head of the Ministry of Defense!? WTF.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, I get it, but it's just so above my paygrade it's really impressive. I was on a conference call at work last week and I can name the people in the room with me, but I could not name all the people on the phone. It just points to the professionalism these people have.

I think if your career and / or legal freedom depended on it, you'd probably work really hard to memorize all the details.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zonohedron posted:

"Did you get offered defense minister?" "Yes" "Did you say yes?" "No" "Then what?" "I told my chain of command." "But it was an honor, right?" "It would be an honor to nurture developing democracies, but I'm an American. I came here when I was a toddler. I immediately dismissed the offers."

Castor's trying to prove that Vindman has allegiances to Ukraine, that he's un-American because he's an immigrant.

I can't believe they went with the Tom Clancy bullshit and thought it would work :laffo:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

gently caress this dual loyalty smear bullshit.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He needed to continue his doodies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

sim posted:

I think if your career and / or legal freedom depended on it, you'd probably work really hard to memorize all the details.

Yeah, I've clearly found my place in the world. If I kept rising I'd end up on CNN drunk telling all the crimes by accident.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

1glitch0 posted:

Lower-level folks (which Vindman would be, compared to the ambassadors or whomever) are expected or required to take piles and piles of notes for important meetings. Pre-meeting prep identifying all of the participants/titles is key.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

I can't believe they went with the Tom Clancy bullshit and thought it would work :laffo:

Once again it's "don't ask questions if you don't already know the answer" - unless Castor is trying to demonstrate that Vindman is an absolutely unimpeachable witness (pun not intended), it has to be a fishing expedition, trying to get something for Fox News where Vindman indicates that he likes Ukraine better than Our Glorious Leader, Trump the Trumpfulness.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'He called it an irregular but not outlandish channel'

No he didn't! Castor, you called it that and then badgered him until he laughed and said 'I guess you could call it that'

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
ugh that line of questioning was absolutely deplorable

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Lower-level folks (which Vindman would be, compared to the ambassadors or whomever) are expected or required to take piles and piles of notes for important meetings. Pre-meeting prep identifying all of the participants/titles is key.

You will address him by his full title of Lt. Col.!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Holy poo poo even Castor making fun of Guiliani, 'America's Mayor' lolol

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"Did you talk to Rudy? Any phone calls or text messages?" "No, I only know him as New York's finest mayor." "America's mayor." "Right, America's mayor."

Where's the rolleyes-vomiting-rolleyes gif when you need it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok so which GOP lunatic is going to run damage control during recess.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

McCarthy and Zeldin were last time.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Jim Jordan is gonna double down on the ukranian secret agent thing

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

This is why I'm watching the BBC's stream.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i turned on CNN and the first to speak was jeffrey toobin: "There was a sound you could hear in the testimony today, which was republican talking points falling apart"

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Random thought/question regarding the whistleblower. Does Schiff know who the person is? And is it possible that they've already testified, are currently testifying, or are scheduled to testify, but just their anonymity as being the actual whistleblower has been/will be kept? That is to say, is it possible we've already heard from them or will hear from them but the public isn't aware?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

zonohedron posted:

This is why I'm watching the BBC's stream.

NPR coverage what whaaaat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a link to the "call me Lt Col" soundbite?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tek79 posted:

Random thought/question regarding the whistleblower. Does Schiff know who the person is? And is it possible that they've already testified, are currently testifying, or are scheduled to testify, but just their anonymity as being the actual whistleblower has been/will be kept? That is to say, is it possible we've already heard from them or will hear from them but the public isn't aware?

we basically know that the whistleblower is someone who wasn't on the call, but (per NYT/WaPo) was a ukraine-expert at the CIA. no one could possibly fit the bill that's testified so far

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey Nunes maybe stop looking like you're taking photos of documents during the recess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Does anyone have a link to the "call me Lt Col" soundbite?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1196819899160629250

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

tek79 posted:

To your first question: Schiff has said he doesn't know: any contact has been through the whistleblower's counsel. To your second: highly unlikely.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/1196822017120579585

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

tek79 posted:

Allegedly he does not know who they are. Realistically I think everyone, including the republicans, have an idea, but just need someone else to say the name first.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Thanks all. That clears it up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao no one who watched that testimony could possibly think that that guy is some insubordinate rash hothead

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

lmao no one who watched that testimony could possibly think that that guy is some insubordinate rash hothead

Pretty sure Sean Davis didn't watch it :v:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

1glitch0 posted:

Most of the career people in the government and military take their jobs and their oaths seriously. These are people who could easily make more money in the private sector but choose to serve.

The same goes for people in the intelligence community, for the most part the shady poo poo that goes on is the work of political actors outside the regular channels orchestrated and carried out by "cowboys" who read too many Clancy novels.

I think that too many people don't recognize that this distinction exists. Trump and his cronies don't get this which is why they are in trouble here.

Think about it, if Trump and his cronies hadn't been so insistent in making sure to clarify and get explicit confirmation from Zelenski they could have maintained plausible deniability. But instead he had to get verbal confirmation in front of witnesses in clear terms that the message had been delivered.

If they had let Rudy and his shady sidekicks do all of the dirty work and keep the official communications clean their whole "we were just checking President Zelenski out before releasing the aid" narrative would have been plausible enough to run with. As it is it requires comical levels of wilful ignorance to maintain.

Thank whatever forces exist in the universe that Trump is the stupidest fucker ever to hold elected office with an ego the size of a gas giant because it really takes this level of incompetence to get caught for this kind of thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty sure Sean Davis didn't watch it :v:

he's probably been on a call with Whoever Funds The Federalist so he can be told what to write

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tek79 posted:

He does not know who it is, but presumably knows who the sewers of the internet have been batting around as the whistleblower.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

they're obsessive about trying to come up with totally legal ways to threaten the whistleblower and anyone who testifies against trump

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
during Daniel Goldman's (i think that's his name) questioning Jim Jordan looked grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

he's probably been on a call with Whoever Funds The Federalist so he can be told what to write

Clearly. I can't imagine anyone (with a functioning brain) thinking Lt. Col Vindman was insubordiate considering he reported the fact that elements of Ukraine's government were trying to bribe him with a Defense Minister position.