Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Strange Poon posted:

during Daniel Goldman's (i think that's his name) questioning Jim Jordan looked grim

No that's just Jordan's "look". It's from hiding all the sexual abuse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

refleks posted:

No that's just Jordan's "look". It's from hiding all the sexual abuse...

i wish he had that much of a conscious

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Angry_Ed posted:

Clearly. I can't imagine anyone (with a functioning brain) thinking Lt. Col Vindman was insubordiate considering he reported the fact that elements of Ukraine's government were trying to bribe him with a Defense Minister position.

I mean, offering the position seemed like a joke? IDK, but if I were Vindman, I would not have seriously considered the offer, even apart from personal beliefs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zonohedron posted:

Once again it's "don't ask questions if you don't already know the answer"

so i have been mulling over this and i think it's not necessarily applicable here. this is 100% true in a trial for a few reasons. first, the jury is required to pay attention to the whole thing, and will see the whole thing, and you're bound by the rules of evidence. you need the whole cross-examination to hang together as a single story despite the witness being entirely unwilling to tell that story. a single question that gives the witness a chance to redirect your story is a significant blow.

here, this is essentially a political action and most people will not watch this live. the most important thing in these hearings is to get a few key video clips that will drive the tv coverage and other news - and for republicans in perticular something they can put on fox. it's more like a deposition. as a result, it's worth asking questions where you've got a chance of getting what you need, as long as you think it's not going to horribly backfire. plus, anything that will horribly backfire is, presumably, already going to be asked by the other side. and with their ability to push narratives through fox they can just flatly ignore bad stuff.

so it's not as much of a fuckup as it might seem. the context here is different than a trial. you can afford questions you don't know the answer to, or that you may not even get an answer to because you just want the clip of you asking it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strange Poon posted:

i wish he had that much of a conscious

If anybody in the GOP side of this committee had a conscience they'd be admitting they covered for a President in the face of obvious crimes and resign immediately.

As such, none of them have that, not even Will Hurd. They are all committed to going down in flames with Trump for reasons I'll never fathom other than short-sighted greed and damage to "the other"

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I mean, offering the position seemed like a joke? IDK, but if I were Vindman, I would not have seriously considered the offer, even apart from personal beliefs.

Well that's the thing, he didn't consider it a very serious offer especially because by his own admission it's a weird thing to offer to a lowly Lieutenant Colonel. He still reported it anyway, joke or not, because that's what you do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

schiff is good at redirect

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Skex posted:

Most of the career people in the government and military take their jobs and their oaths seriously. These are people who could easily make more money in the private sector but choose to serve.

The same goes for people in the intelligence community, for the most part the shady poo poo that goes on is the work of political actors outside the regular channels orchestrated and carried out by "cowboys" who read too many Clancy novels.

I think that too many people don't recognize that this distinction exists. Trump and his cronies don't get this which is why they are in trouble here.

Think about it, if Trump and his cronies hadn't been so insistent in making sure to clarify and get explicit confirmation from Zelenski they could have maintained plausible deniability. But instead he had to get verbal confirmation in front of witnesses in clear terms that the message had been delivered.

If they had let Rudy and his shady sidekicks do all of the dirty work and keep the official communications clean their whole "we were just checking President Zelenski out before releasing the aid" narrative would have been plausible enough to run with. As it is it requires comical levels of wilful ignorance to maintain.

Thank whatever forces exist in the universe that Trump is the stupidest fucker ever to hold elected office with an ego the size of a gas giant because it really takes this level of incompetence to get caught for this kind of thing.

And I'll just add, again, because it's so goddamn stupid, that this entire catastrophe for Trump is happening for getting information that doesn't exist (because it's a conspiracy theory) on a potential political opponent who may not have even ran for president and currently might not even win the democratic primary! It is such a prime Trump gently caress-up. Once again, Trump doing literally nothing would have better results than him trying to do a thing. It's astounding.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Skex posted:

Most of the career people in the government and military take their jobs and their oaths seriously. These are people who could easily make more money in the private sector but choose to serve.

The same goes for people in the intelligence community, for the most part the shady poo poo that goes on is the work of political actors outside the regular channels orchestrated and carried out by "cowboys" who read too many Clancy novels.

remember when General "hey, take this sword and use it on the media, Mr. Trump! also killing every military aged male in Fallujah was good actually" Mattis expressed shock and horror that Trump was stupid, bloodthirsty, and incompetent.

military mythology is the funniest goddamn thing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

1glitch0 posted:

And I'll just add, again, because it's so goddamn stupid, that this entire catastrophe for Trump is happening for getting information that doesn't exist (because it's a conspiracy theory) on a potential political opponent who may not have even ran for president and currently might not even win the democratic primary! It is such a prime Trump gently caress-up. Once again, Trump doing literally nothing would have better results than him trying to do a thing. It's astounding.
Don't forget that he was also doing it for evidence of an entirely separate conspiracy theory about his opponent in an election that he won three years ago.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

The only thing I can figure is that Trump saw Biden as an extension of Obama and his legacy and, since he hates Obama so much, wanted to destroy that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Clearly. I can't imagine anyone (with a functioning brain) thinking Lt. Col Vindman was insubordiate considering he reported the fact that elements of Ukraine's government were trying to bribe him with a Defense Minister position.

That dude also tweeted that he'd already spoken to multiple military veterans who were SCANDALIZED by Vindman using his uniform as a prop and using the military to defend himself and how disrespectful it was to demand he be referred to by his rank, so I'm gonna say his idea of what does or does not equal being insubordinate is entirely dependent on the whims of whatever secret lich is funding The Federalist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think Schiff is getting a bit of enjoyment out of repeatedly using the "drug deal" quote from Bolton. Hell, I would too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I can't believe I ever thought Sean Davis was the good one on Real World Boston

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the responses to sean davis tweets are seriously insane

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jordan: ThankyouforyourserviceIgottatalkreallyfastcauseI'mlyingallthetime

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Angry_Ed posted:

The only thing I can figure is that Trump saw Biden as an extension of Obama and his legacy and, since he hates Obama so much, wanted to destroy that.

this is probably the most correct.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
You would think the GOP would have learned by now that handing over to Gym is a terrible strategy and he doesn't even get them usable soundbites.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

loving lol he had that paper ready to go...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

it really is

if he'd had the base republican ratfucking instincts to just push the burisma thing as an unsubstantiated rumor it would have done amazingly! it's perfectly pitched to exploit the "actually," centers of the liberal brain! the same people who fell over themselves to explain that well TECHNICALLY nothing Hillary did was illegal, and therefore it's okay would not have been able to stop themselves from making the argument Democratic politicians are exempt from consequences for corruption on his behalf!

but because his brain is pudding, he actually thought there was some Ukrainian server he could dig up to finally stick it to Hillary Clinton for... reasons, and that brings us to here. it's so fantastically dumb.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

You would think the GOP would have learned by now that handing over to Gym is a terrible strategy and he doesn't even get them usable soundbites.

Gym Jordan: Your colleagues and your bosses don't like you

Lt. Col. Vindman: Uh here's a quote saying exactly the opposite

Gym Jordan: ... :shepicide:

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
so they're just gonna try and smear the witnesses I guess

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DebtBeat posted:

so they're just gonna try and smear the witnesses I guess

It's literally all they have. They can't attack the facts so they attack the providers of those facts.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Angry_Ed posted:

Reading from his performance review was a masterstroke.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lord Hydronium posted:

Don't forget that he was also doing it for evidence of an entirely separate conspiracy theory about his opponent in an election that he won three years ago.

Yeah, that too. From my understanding he literally believes that Ukraine physically has Hillary's secret email server? That isn't even a conspiracy theory! I don't even know where he got that from.

I've never seen someone so pissed and spending 3 years bitching and crying and calling something rigged over something they WON. It breaks the brain.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"If no one knows who the whistleblower is, then how is trying to find out who he is "exposing him?""

--Jim Jordan

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, that too. From my understanding he literally believes that Ukraine physically has Hillary's secret email server? That isn't even a conspiracy theory! I don't even know where he got that from.

I've never seen someone so pissed and spending 3 years bitching and crying and calling something rigged over something they WON. It breaks the brain.

He’s believed a lot of insane things about Hillary’s emails, including that she somehow printed them off and poured bleach on them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean yeah, we didn't count on Trump implicating himself.

oh boy, more "linkage" and the lack thereof

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

My god, Jordan is just dumb as poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry_Ed posted:

He just needs the chuds to see him attacking the deep state never trumper. He accomplished that.

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

It's literally a Russian disinformation campaign. Kremlin -> Konstantin Kilimnik -> John Solomon -> Rudy Giuliani and right-wing conspiracy-theory media -> Trump

They originated the false narrative that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 elections, the DNC hack originated from Ukraine, and the servers are physically there.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

He just needs the chuds to see him attacking the deep state never trumper. He accomplished that.

i like how he was running out of time and had to obviously rush out the important part of his script

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Why does Schiff just stare straight ahead of him whenever he's responding to other congresspeople? Maybe he just doesn't want to look at Gym Jordan, and I don't think I can blame him, but it looks weird and robotic.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Countdown to the GOP attacking Lt. Colonel Vindman's purple heart in 3...2...1...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kudos to Himes for pointing out that the line of questioning was bullshit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

good for Himes

"that may have come cloaked in a Brooks Brothers suit and parliamentary language but that was designed exclusively to give the right-wing media an opening to question your loyalty"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

good for Himes

"that may have come cloaked in a Brooks Brothers suit and parliamentary language but that was designed exclusively to give the right-wing media an opening to question your loyalty"

That was such a good quote

EDIT: "I yield my 5 minutes to Ratcliffe". Yeah that's going to go great.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Why does Schiff just stare straight ahead of him whenever he's responding to other congresspeople? Maybe he just doesn't want to look at Gym Jordan, and I don't think I can blame him, but it looks weird and robotic.

It's because he's a Deep State robot. He hasn't been alive for years!! Hilary is controlling him from her bunker in Ukraine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

nah jordan got owned on that exchange

he was trying to very cautiously smear him with someone else's words while doing nothing of the sort because it's nearly impossible to respond to something like "x said you have bad judgement. how do you respond" because it lacks any facts you can address and "i have good judgement" just isn't that strong of an argument. that was obviously scripted for jordan who is far too dumb to try and be subtle in that way

a written evaluation that you can wave in front of the committee to say "well i dunno but here's objective proof it's wrong" was 100% unexpected by jordan and was way off his "idiots guide to smearing the witness" picture book

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
Ratcliffe: wow way to move the goalposts Dems, first you said quid pro quo, then extortion, now bribery :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

1glitch0 posted:

It's like a mix of a few different conspiracy theories filtered through Trump's dying brain. There's "Russia didn't hack the DNC, Ukraine did" and its corollary, "Crowdstrike's CEO is Ukrainian" (he's not), mashed together with But Her Emails and Trump's bizarre ideas of how computers work into...that.