Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maclunkey is the equivalent of the n-word in Star Wars, Greedo is being hugely racist right before he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Please answer this goons question before you guys continue having this stupid discussion about #jawalivesmatter

Nah

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

How does this argument that if something isn't real, it can't be somehow subject to racism keep coming up? Fictional races are always in one way or another analogous to real people. Would you say that Watto can't be interpreted as a racist caricature because Toidarians aren't real? Of course you can't be racist against Jawas because they are not real, but the way they are depicted reflect some real stereotypes. I don't think Jawas can be easily linked to any specific racial group, but in any case they represent otherness of inscrutable foreigners. It's not necessary to come up with some ridiculous analogy of Jawas as the Jews to be able to say that their depiction on the show is racist.

you think the Jawas are Jews?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

if anybody in Star Wars is Jewish its Watto

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Please answer this goons question before you guys continue having this stupid discussion about #jawalivesmatter

They're people.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The main preoccupation of all star wars chat is determining precisely which humanlike beings don't rise to a sufficient level of humanity and can safely be enslaved and/or vaporized

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

The main preoccupation of all star wars chat is determining precisely which humanlike beings don't rise to a sufficient level of humanity and can safely be enslaved and/or vaporized

And the only consensus answer reached is "the Jedi"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forget, where did we land on the concept of battlestations/spaceships as people wrt droid personhood and R2 banging them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s probably rape.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

It’s probably rape.

Starting to believe that maybe one of those sides didn't actually have any heroes

quote:

And the only consensus answer reached is "the Jedi"

Younglings aren't people

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Mandrel posted:

I don't think Jawas are Jews which is why I gave that as an example of a ridiculous analogy, that would be the result of a pointless exercise to compare Jawas to some real race or ethnic group.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Hmm I wonder what the overlap between the 'droids aren't enslaved people' and 'jawas are vermin' is . . .

RBA Starblade posted:

I forget, where did we land on the concept of battlestations/spaceships as people wrt droid personhood and R2 banging them

Anything more complicated than a blaster is a person. Like Jabba's doorbell-peephole is full of attitude!

If solo is canon then the falcon is probably numb to trauma by now, death Star had it coming, cloud city was into it. Change my mind :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Captain Jesus posted:

I don't think Jawas are Jews which is why I gave that as an example of a ridiculous analogy, that would be the result of a pointless exercise to compare Jawas to some real race or ethnic group.

This widely despised technologically proficient alien wandering tribe acting as brokers in the slave trade has no relation to irl Jewish stereotypes!

What are you, crazy?!!?

Fun at parties?????

Experience happy feelings!?!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blood Boils posted:

Hmm I wonder what the overlap between the 'droids aren't enslaved people' and 'jawas are vermin' is . . .

Anything more complicated than a blaster is a person. Like Jabba's doorbell-peephole is full of attitude!

If solo is canon then the falcon is probably numb to trauma by now, death Star had it coming, cloud city was into it. Change my mind :colbert:

After Jabba was killed that doorbell droid became The Navigator from Flight of the Navigator, change my mind (ok the kid is the Navigator, you know what I mean)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

idk man doesn’t seem totally pointless, if we’re saying theres racial connotations it seems important we know what the racial connotations are otherwise jawas are just gonna keep getting blown up. you’ve got a good handle on it though so help us out

what race are the Jawas

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mandrel posted:

idk man doesn’t seem totally pointless, if we’re saying theres racial connotations it seems important we know what the racial connotations are otherwise jawas are just gonna keep getting blown up. you’ve got a good handle on it though so help us out

what race are the Jawas

it's a super obvious trap to get someone to say "the Jawas are a reference to ___" so you can immediately turn around and call the person racist for comparing a real race to fictional alien trash scavengers

Nobody is going to actually fall for this fyi

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

it's a super obvious trap to get someone to say "the Jawas are a reference to ___" so you can immediately turn around and call the person racist for comparing a real race to fictional alien trash scavengers

Nobody is going to actually fall for this fyi

buddy anybody having to be asked what racial stereotype they think the Jawas from Star Wars are don’t need anybody to trap them

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nobody "has" to be asked that question because it's nonsensical bs in the first place

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The answer is German, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spaniards

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mandrel posted:

speaking of which what exactly real life racial analog are you comparing to Jawas anyway because i would love to see that

I mean, it’s all clearly coded classism and those filthy poors Jawas got what they deserve but let’s not kid ourselves that classism and racism are intrinsically intertwined and whoever says otherwise usually has an agenda to prop up the status quo, usually for petty and vain reasons (“who cares if it’s morally wrong? Let people enjoy things!”), which is fine, but let’s call it what it is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ah, so the mandalorian is a good guy then

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blood Boils posted:

That doorbell has more personality than rey

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought it was hosed up that George Lucas waited this long to have a speaking role in a Star Wars show, and all he does is walk on and say "The Mandalorian is a good and cool person, and he's shooting those Jawas because they're subhumans who deserve it."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought it was hosed up that George Lucas waited this long to have a speaking role in a Star Wars show, and all he does is walk on and say "The Mandalorian is a good and cool person, and he's shooting those Jawas because they're subhumans who deserve it."

I was more weirded out when he said all the droids were people except C-3PO, who is a soulless homunculus who is rightly suffering.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

my favorite part is when the mandalorian led all the jews out of egypt

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

When is our Calo Nord miniseries

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Let’s all agree on one simple fact: Pod Racer is a top-3 Star Wars video game and may very well be number one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Most star wars games have aged extremely poorly (especially the ones you, the reader of this post, like) but mario kart and its clones never go out of style, so honestly you may be right

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

The answer is German, though.

Ja, dies.

Thought experiment: Try to come up with slurs an in-universe racist would use for Jawas. Then compare those slurs to real world slurs. You got your racist match!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

Most star wars games have aged extremely poorly (especially the ones you, the reader of this post, like) but mario kart and its clones never go out of style, so honestly you may be right

you son of a bitch

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

jawas are the bad kind of italian (you know which ones)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mandrel posted:

Nah, he's clearly from New Jersey.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

some of the Jawas, I assume, are good people. but mostly when their Sandcrawlers come here they’re not bringing their best people

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Ja, dies.

Thought experiment: Try to come up with slurs an in-universe racist would use for Jawas. Then compare those slurs to real world slurs. You got your racist match!

Wawas.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I faintly recall an effort post about how racist Star Wars is with its different alien-race-analogies and I do remember it comparing the Jawas to travelers.

I think what gets me the most about the way aliens work in Star Wars is that there seems to be this galaxy-wide norm for homogeneous populations. The Old Republic, The Separatists, The Empire, The Rebellion, The First Order and the Resistance all freaking love keeping alien species among themselves. The Separatists were probably the least racist and more progressive of the factions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Ja, dies.

Jawas are pretty clearly anti-semitic.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

Jawas are pretty clearly anti-semitic.

Oh, word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mandrel posted:

what race are the Jawas

The problem here is your question contains the strange implication that racism must be rooted in something real, be rational; as opposed to what it actually is, ideological.

Simply put: it's racist to say that slaughtering Jawas means less than slaughtering Jedi because it denies their Cartesian subjecthood.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 20, 2019