Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

The Shortest Path posted:

Iirc Victoria's aura wasn't even explicitly mentioned in the text of Worm anyway, just inferred.

It's been a hella long time since I read it though so I might have missed something and forgotten about it?

Its like the first thing they mention when they introduce her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Iirc Victoria's aura wasn't even explicitly mentioned in the text of Worm anyway, just inferred.

It's been a hella long time since I read it though so I might have missed something and forgotten about it?

you most assuredly did, she uses it on several occasions including POV chapters

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Wildbow mentioned the long-term aura theory as being correct and a subtle thing he hoped people would pick up on. So, him having to contend with fans believing that is on him. Live by the theorycraft, die by the theorycraft.

quote:

I’ve been wondering, how much of Panacea’s attraction for Glory Girl was Glory Girl’s fault? I mean, she had a super power that affects people’s emotions, making those who like her admire and be awestruck by her. Feelings like that could easily translate over into love and Panacea had a lot of long term exposure to it. Sure she became immune eventually, but only eventually. Couple that with the fact that Panacea felt close to -only- Glory Girl and I’m more inclined than ever to think that Glory Girl brought it on herself, even if unintentionally.

Wildbow said:
I wondered if anyone would pay any attention to that.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 9, 2019

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Affi posted:

Its like the first thing they mention when they introduce her?

Huh yeah I just went back and read 2.x and it gets mentioned like a dozen times. I have no idea how I missed that for so long that I didn't really know about it until after I'd finished Worm and was reading discussion about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

Wildbow mentioned the long-term aura theory as being correct and a subtle thing he hoped people would pick up on. So, him having to contend with fans believing that is on him. Live by the theorycraft, die by the theorycraft.

This doesn't really confirm anything; he is just saying "I wondered if people would pay attention to that." It also definitely doesn't support the idea that it's the direct cause for Amy's feelings, even if it could have contributed to them.

I mean, it's essentially irrelevant since even if the aura did cause the love, that wouldn't justify any of Amy's actual actions. Though the way people usually try to frame it is as "actually Victoria is equally guilty of doing bad things to Amy because of the aura thing" which is dumb as hell.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm getting close to catching back up with TWI. 6.19H was loving amazing, holy moly. Pirateaba has really come a long way in her writing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
was that Ksmvr vs. the World? because that was a great loving chapter

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

was that Ksmvr vs. the World? because that was a great loving chapter

It was indeed. And it was wonderful.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also TWI patreon: uh Yvlon's gay apparently? that's neat. blood fields seem pretty nuts.

TWI regular: lol just lol that umina used her question for the sole purpose of trolling niers

get to izril already niers!!!!!!!!!

patreon edit: oh poo poo that means she lost her lover in the crypt too.

ah man ah geez :smith: :smith:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 13, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
TWI regular was a rad chapter. We didn't see all of the students getting repeatedly owned on that exercise, but I definitely felt it. Also, ichorial? Those motherfuckers need a few generations of proper gavelkind to sort them out.

not a fan of the invisible text, though. bloody impossible on a phone.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

TWI regular was a rad chapter. We didn't see all of the students getting repeatedly owned on that exercise, but I definitely felt it. Also, ichorial? Those motherfuckers need a few generations of proper gavelkind to sort them out.

not a fan of the invisible text, though. bloody impossible on a phone.

ctrl f "foliana"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also TWI patreon: uh Yvlon's gay apparently? that's neat. blood fields seem pretty nuts.

idk what gives you that impression.the chick shes talking about is her old childhood friend, who was married to crossbow stan

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

idk what gives you that impression.the chick shes talking about is her old childhood friend, who was married to crossbow stan

further TWI patreon:
Maise was a different person than Stan's ex. Yvlon decided to tell Ksmvr about maise because she already told him about stan's former lover. that plus the choice of words kind of strongly points yvlon having a thing with her.

"Yvlon shook her head. Her old friend’s face appeared in her mind. But the details were faded. It was harder to remember the exact curl in her hair, the way she stood. The sound of her voice. She went on. She’d never talked to Ksmvr about Maisé. But she had to now."

like, those are incredibly intimate details for yvlon to recall.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 13, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patreon: :tviv:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We knew it had to happen some day, but I desperately want the scene where Ksmvr gets free and just loving kills everyone. The Horns are my favorite characters.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Larry Parrish posted:

We knew it had to happen some day, but I desperately want the scene where Ksmvr gets free and just loving kills everyone. The Horns are my favorite characters.

TWI Patreon still
So, are all of the Horns in the cube now after the scene at Wishdrinks? Or just Pisces/Ceria? In either case there are waaaaay to many high level folks that frequent the Inn that this will go off smoothly (PLEASE let Grimalkin show up for his nightly training with Ceria). Or how these 5 will react to Erin's aura when she realises what exactly their up to...

Uldor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 17, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah they are going to try to nab Erin and I seriously doubt that will go over well for them.

Also they seem to think what they are doing is legal so meeting Zevara
and attempting to bribe her will be a fun surprise for the centaur.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly cant tell if I want this to end in blood, an Erin style shenanigans-fest that mostly shakes out alright for everyone, or finally getting mixed up in the occasionally-hinted-at Earthling conspiracy that Wistram is doing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Saaaaaaaaame. He's just the absolute best and I love him and want an entire book about him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Saaaaaaaaame. He's just the absolute best and I love him and want an entire book about him.

yeah, im kind of lowkey terrified of him getting brunkr'd

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

yeah, im kind of lowkey terrified of him getting brunkr'd

No way in hell. Besides, the queen could just revive him in a new body like she did for Kbl'tch and Yellow Splatters. They've indicated that his success as an adventurer is tremendously important and that his "exile" is basically fake.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been reading through Forge of Destiny on a friend's recommendation, and that's a surprisingly fun story for a nakedly numbers-go-up choose your own XianXia thingie! I really wish the guy'd just written it as a standalone story to begin with, though- there are some major twists I'm thinking specifically of how the protagonist accepted Cai Renxiang's offer of vassalage when she was apathetic about politics and didn't really have a dog in Cai's justice-for-all fight or any interest in cleaning up her province that are perfectly understandable from a tabletop RPG/numbers get bigger faster standpoint, but didn't feel particularly well set-up or utilized in the story itself.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been reading through Forge of Destiny on a friend's recommendation, and that's a surprisingly fun story for a nakedly numbers-go-up choose your own XianXia thingie! I really wish the guy'd just written it as a standalone story to begin with, though- there are some major twists I'm thinking specifically of how the protagonist accepted Cai Renxiang's offer of vassalage when she was apathetic about politics and didn't really have a dog in Cai's justice-for-all fight or any interest in cleaning up her province that are perfectly understandable from a tabletop RPG/numbers get bigger faster standpoint, but didn't feel particularly well set-up or utilized in the story itself.

There's still a few players salty about that vote. Speaking as a CYOA runner, it's really hard to foreshadow future changes, because a lot of the time they take us just as much by surprise as everyone else. That's a big part of the fun.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LLSix posted:

There's still a few players salty about that vote. Speaking as a CYOA runner, it's really hard to foreshadow future changes, because a lot of the time they take us just as much by surprise as everyone else. That's a big part of the fun.

Yeah, and that's why I framed it as a problem in the context of rewriting the quest as a novel- looking at it as a forum quest/TTRPG I think it works perfectly fine- the party likes (I think unspoiled text is fine since it's old?) the awesome bureaucrat lady, they choose to do stuff with her, so the story pivots. But yeah- I think the main problems I had with it as a non-participating reader was that a) the story didn't do a good job of letting us understand what Cai's schtick was and why Ling found joining her so attractive, and b) at least to my eyes, the weird sect/spirit/practitioner BS was often the most interesting part of the story. I haven't started the second thread and I'm sure it'll go somewhere interesting, but the whole thing felt like it kind of came out of left field, and it felt like an odd direction to turn the story in given all of the options that were out there.

I do wonder what some of the quest runner's early plans were... it seemed like he was setting up a whole thing for Bai Meizhen and the fox/medic roommates to be a big part of her inner circle, but in the back half they kind of just faded into the woodwork. In the thread itself he mentions having to work his rear end off to keep it from getting unwieldy, so I wonder if it was just a matter of needing to prune the story back to the core cultivation/power fantasy arc, and players being varied enough in their choice of side activities that there weren't any good ways to keep up with everything he'd laid a foundation for.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 18, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wonder when paradise lost will be rewritten as a web novel :shobon:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

I wonder when paradise lost will be rewritten as a web novel :shobon:

Probably never :(

I reread parts of it recently, and a huge amount of the humor is in the vote options. Stuff like that would be hard to translate into a novel.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm salty that Ling Qi didn't get with Meizhen :argh:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, the way Bai Meizhen's character was handled was generally frustrating- the early scenes with her were some of the best scenes, then it felt like she really abruptly became a distant side character.

I skimmed through the sequel thread, but I'm really not feeling it- I appreciate the guy's desire to streamline the format, but it feels like he cut away nearly all of the social maneuvering and weirdass infighting in favor of a much more linear TTRPG with tons of combat sequences. It's his thing, so he's free to do whatever, but I found it dreadfully drawn-out and tedious compared to the original. (It also feels much more poorly-edited; apostrophes are your friend, commas are not.)

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

Wildbow is always very much protagonist centric powerwank, so now that Glory Girl is the protagonist everything that hinted at her having actual faults needs to be retconned.

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, the way Bai Meizhen's character was handled was generally frustrating- the early scenes with her were some of the best scenes, then it felt like she really abruptly became a distant side character.

I skimmed through the sequel thread, but I'm really not feeling it- I appreciate the guy's desire to streamline the format, but it feels like he cut away nearly all of the social maneuvering and weirdass infighting in favor of a much more linear TTRPG with tons of combat sequences. It's his thing, so he's free to do whatever, but I found it dreadfully drawn-out and tedious compared to the original. (It also feels much more poorly-edited; apostrophes are your friend, commas are not.)

Maybe I misunderstand thing, but the streamlining is in good part to make more social manoeuvring and social activities?

You have a point about how he set things up with Meizhen means we see less off her than before, so maybe the Meizhen parts in particular gives that impression, but that's not what is actually happening overall.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 19, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Arkeus posted:

You have a point about how he set things up with Meizhen means we see less off her than before, so maybe the Meizhen parts in particular gives that impression, but that's not what is actually happening overall.

Spoiler please, some of us are reading along with the edited version.

Omi no Kami posted:

(I think unspoiled text is fine since it's old?)

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21188/forge-of-destiny this is how far in it is for people who are reading the edited version instead of the CYOA thread. Please spoiler appropriately.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Arkeus posted:

Wildbow is always very much protagonist centric powerwank, so now that Glory Girl is the protagonist everything that hinted at her having actual faults needs to be retconned.

Maybe I misunderstand thing, but the streamlining is in good part to make more social manoeuvring and social activities?

I think the main thing that's bugging me is that it feels like Threads has a lot more mechanically crunchy events relative to the amount of character bits, and the events are always where the story seems to drag. (I'm also very decidedly not a xianxia/litrpg guy, so it might just be a reader/genre mismatch.) It's another one of those things where it works perfectly well as a TTRPG/quest structure (in fact I suspect it's much easier to manage, Forge looked like a nightmare to do the dice/stat management for), but it doesn't work as well as a story.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Tbh, that's a strange idea to me that there's less social interaction... I think TOD def. Made an effort to involve more of our friends in events and activities together. Plus, a lot of spirit shenanigans, which I always love, and social maneuvering as Ling Qi realizes she needs to do that. Tbh, she did like zero in FOD quest since she tried to mostly stay out of it. Unless the argument is more it's the wrong people or not the people you want to hang out with? To me, the arcs seem more focused on character arcs with some really cool payoffs on certain beginnings in FOD.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 19, 2019

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
TWI Patreon: Woooooo that was touch and go there for a second but was a good fight, and BIRD IS BACK and still :3 Pisces tho... did he really get 46 mages killed when he stole that Archmages bones...

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So I just finished marathoning PracGuide and goddamn it is amazing. Some minor issues with the prose (EE is a bit too fond of using five different ways of referring to the same character in as many paragraphs) and sure part of it is that it just appeals super hard to my particular prejudices but it's probably my favorite recent fantasy work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uldor posted:

TWI Patreon: Woooooo that was touch and go there for a second but was a good fight, and BIRD IS BACK and still :3 Pisces tho... did he really get 46 mages killed when he stole that Archmages bones...

I don't remember if it was said outright, but when he stole that old archmages' bones it animated a bunch of undead as a defence mechanism, so probably some people died. The archmages wanted to execute them for it, but the golem badass that really runs the show stepped in for them. Which begs the question, why does Wistram care now? Isnt the golem just going to gently caress up their plans again anyway?. Also it's been a few years since Ceria and Picses left Wistram, so again, makes you wonder why they didnt do this earlier.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't remember if it was said outright, but when he stole that old archmages' bones it animated a bunch of undead as a defence mechanism, so probably some people died. The archmages wanted to execute them for it, but the golem badass that really runs the show stepped in for them. Which begs the question, why does Wistram care now? Isnt the golem just going to gently caress up their plans again anyway?. Also it's been a few years since Ceria and Picses left Wistram, so again, makes you wonder why they didnt do this earlier.

Two Theories:

1) They always wanted to get him back but when his name started getting out there and they had an exact location from the Battle of Liscor/Faceeater Moth attack, they decided to send a team to get him. Him telling folks that he was a Wistram graduate also probably rankled some feathers...

2) Erin and her door/its retrieval were the true goal and decided to use Pisces being present as a lever on Montressa to go do that since she could also get vengeance on Pisces since he was in the area, and she clearly is very skilled (tanking even a graze from Liscor's wall defenses and going relatively toe to toe with Relc was pretty impressive, not to mention everything during the fight in the inn)

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive either.

Uldor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Katreus posted:

Tbh, that's a strange idea to me that there's less social interaction... I think TOD def. Made an effort to involve more of our friends in events and activities together. Plus, a lot of spirit shenanigans, which I always love, and social maneuvering as Ling Qi realizes she needs to do that. Tbh, she did like zero in FOD quest since she tried to mostly stay out of it. Unless the argument is more it's the wrong people or not the people you want to hang out with? To me, the arcs seem more focused on character arcs with some really cool payoffs on certain beginnings in FOD.

It might definitely just be me then, but in TOD I find myself constantly in a position where I'm either saying to myself 'This isn't where I want to be as a reader right now,' or it hits an action scene and I just switch to aggressively skimming until it's back to social stuff. Also, I know the nature of the story doesn't allow for it but I was disappointed to see how many characters from FOD didn't make the jump to TOD. Objectively it wasn't that big of a loss, since the people who stuck around were mostly the ones the thread focused their time on, but it felt weird to watch the protagonist get to know a wide and varied cast of dudes, then kind of siphon it down to Bureaucrat Dredd, Closeted Snake Murderess, Poet Guy and like 10 jerks.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Does anybody ITT read Savage Divinity? I need someone to keep reading it and let me know when The current storyline ends and Rain gets his Mojo back cause I really like the story but I am heartily sick of this arc.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

they did do this earlier. pisces eluded several teams from wistram during his time wandering the wilds and scaring people for cash. that's why he was reluctant to settle down in liscor to begin with, way back in book 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I held off on a few weeks worth of TWI updates so I could read them on a 14 hour plane ride (and it turned out a 14 hour plane ride wasn't enough to read it all, lmao) and got all the way up to the Titan's Question; some good stuff here all around!

(spoilers from spooky witches to funny short man)

The Belavierr chapters looked like they were just retreading Ivolethe's story arc, and I was feeling that her sacrifice was unearned... then it went off in a totally different direction, making for a great reveal. I'm liking how Ryoka has made the acquaintance of... what is it now, five semi immortal beings whose existence or nature is a closely guarded secret? She just needs one last one to round out what I assume is going to be her team of Pokémon.

I was dreading reading when I saw that there were like 4 K chapters to get through, but I liked them! As someone here said, you just need to add Erin to build interest; as I recall, that worked great with the second set of Antinium Wars chapters too. Then the end of the first K chapter revealed the existence of an investigative journalist from earth and from that point on I was completely sold on my new favorite character that we've never met. Really hope we get a POV chapter from them.

I also really appreciate how organically pirateaba is able to weave modern day issues into such a fantastical setting. Despite being on the nose at times, things like the rent control still feel like totally natural extensions of the setting. I wasn't sure if Wistram was best compared to Facebook with their spying, or to Fox with their fake news, but then Niers talked about them manipulating politics behind the scenes and I realized--Wistram is basically Cambridge Analytica

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 20, 2019