Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Qubee posted:

I'm going to go and buy a new cooking pot. I want something large, it'll be awkward to clean but the extra space to move things around and cook in bulk would be a timesaver. What should I look out for in a good pot? My current one is very thin on the bottom and has poo poo heat distribution, so I can't just leave it simmering as it'll burn sooner or later. Should I just buy a very thick and heavy bottomed pot, or is there more to it than that? Any other helpful pieces of advice that are commonly overlooked?

How big are we talking?

If bigger is better, you can get stockpots from restaurant supply companies for reasonable prices. I use a 6 gallon stockpot for making massive batches of soups and stews. I've seen ones as large as 10+ gallons, which is starting to get into cauldron territory.

edit: here's a good example https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-40-qt-standard-weight-aluminum-stock-pot/471SP40QT.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hexigrammus posted:

Not sure if this is relevant at all to your situation but whatever - I do a lot of canning and have been using a 10 litre thin walled ss stock pot and graniteware canners to cook large batches of soup, stew, sauces, etc. for canning. Complete pain in the arse. If you turn your back for a minute something scorches on the bottom.

Costco had a 15 litre clad bottom stock pot on for $40cdn this fall. Night and day difference - absolutely no scorching since I bought it. Heavy and surprisingly well built - I don't think the handles are going to fall off in my lifetime.

Yeah, this, only bigger!

I have that same gigantic Costco stockpot (in 24 quart/22 liter) and it's awesome. It has brought much gumbo into my life.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

barkbell posted:

staub has metal knobs while le creuset has plastic ones

Le Creuset switched to metal knobs a while back, for better and for worse. They hold up in the oven better over time (the old ones didn't melt usually, but they did get brittle over the years) but they're also less touch-friendly when hot.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 15, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

canyoneer posted:

I have that same gigantic Costco stockpot (in 24 quart/22 liter) and it's awesome. It has brought much gumbo into my life.

If that size ever shows up on Costco.ca I'm done with graniteware canners forever.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
What do you guys think about the ultra vs duo plus instant pot? I have had a duo plus and of course I love it, it being basically the same thing as my previous duo. I snapped up an ultra used for 70$ figuring I could return it if I didn’t like it. My duo plus is still eligible for return too and I paid 74 for it. One thing that really appeals to me is the custom sautée temperature. I do not feel that the Instant Pot does a good job blooming spices and I always do this in a separate pan. I love the idea of going truly one pot. The used Ultra is kind of grotty but for 4$ less and more functions maybe it’s worth it ? Anyone love any of the other special features on it ? Sous vide doesn’t matter to me at all but idk, maybe there are cool vegan things that could be done with that which I do not know about.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We're looking at a new gas range. Anyone here have a beloved range they would recommend we look at?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've also heard some good things about newer induction ranges. My instinct was to disregard them as garbage, but maybe things have changed?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

El Mero Mero posted:

I've also heard some good things about newer induction ranges. My instinct was to disregard them as garbage, but maybe things have changed?

I've used induction ranges in professional kitchens and love them, though we mainly used them out of convenience since they're transportable and easily replaceable. In my experience they will get a pan ripping hot really quickly, perhaps quicker than a standard consumer gas stove. They had very strange hot spots, which can really sneak up on you.

I'd love to read more arguments for/against induction ranges but I think they're pretty fantastic overall.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have a really expensive single burner countertop model called a magnawave (i got it in really beat up shape for $350 on ebay) and it's insane. I never use my oven's gas range anymore. It is everything I'd ever want.

A lot of the induction range tops out there dont look very serious but if you can find a good one it is perfect (just be aware that aluminum doesnt work)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there such a thing as a microwave/toaster-oven combo?

I ask because my microwave just up and died. I don't have much counter space. I use my microwave for what most people use a microwave for: reheating leftovers or heating up a single cup of water for tea. I don't have a toaster, and if I do toast bread I stick it until the stove broiler. So I want a new microwave, but if a combo unit exists I'd get one.

But searching for 'microwave toaster oven combo' comes up with lies, damned dirty lies. Like this, which purports to be reviewing microwave/toaster-oven combos, but which is lying and recommending things which are not microwave/toaster-oven combos:

https://toasthq.com/best-microwave-toaster-oven-combo-2017/

LG used to make a microwave oven with a toaster grafted to it, but they discontinued it.

Now I know there are also convection microwaves, and microwave ovens with grill elements, and while that latter comes really damned close to "microwave/toaster-oven," it looks like the grill elements are only on one side, or take a long time to heat up, or whatever. Still, I'd get one in lieu of a plain old microwave if I can make toast a damned bagel in it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Our GE at home has a "browner" attached to the ceiling of the microwave, looks like it's been discontinued tho.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my guess is the metal needed to make a decent toaster oven doesn't play well with the needs of a microwave. Otherwise it seems like a no brainer.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Is the best microwave ever - it’s huge, I got it for a great price (60$), has so many excellent features, does everything excellently. Can’t recommend enough.
My Ultra actually came broken but apparently it won’t go higher than 338 for saute. What’s a kind of electric cooker that gets to 400? Any at all? Google is not helping.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Staub 4 quart round cast iron Dutch ovens on sale for $99 through Williams Sonoma and amazon. Any particular reason to pick this up if I already own a big standard lodge cast iron Dutch oven?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

bartlebee posted:

Staub 4 quart round cast iron Dutch ovens on sale for $99 through Williams Sonoma and amazon. Any particular reason to pick this up if I already own a big standard lodge cast iron Dutch oven?

it’d make an extremely generous gift

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So... is there any particular baking steel I should get? Is 1/4 in ok or do I need thicker?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

So... is there any particular baking steel I should get? Is 1/4 in ok or do I need thicker?

¼” is probably fine. Mine is ⅜” and based on that I can def say you don’t need a ½” one.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bartlebee posted:

I bought one when that deal ran a couple years ago (I think they do it every year). Thought it would be a good compromise on size, cost, and quality. I'm about to do the opposite and buy a 6qt Lodge, and consign the Staub to the back of a cabinet.

It's fine when cooking for 2 (or a side dish), but the 4qt size feels limiting. However my wife likes it because it's lighter, and having an extra dutch oven to make side dishes does come in handy occasionally. However, since I do most of the cooking it probably won't see regular use once we get a bigger one.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks all. I figured it might be nice but probably would just clutter up the kitchen at this point.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got one last year and it's great. I mostly cook for myself though. I plan to pair it with a 7qt eventually.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear gods how many people are y'all cooking for that a gallon sized pot is /small/.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
any recommendations for an instant-read thermometer? I had a Thermapen mk 2, but my ex left it on a burner and then I did the same a week later.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Empty Sandwich posted:

any recommendations for an instant-read thermometer?
A Thermapen that hasn't been left on a burner twice. The Mk4 is nice, but if you're on a budget the OG Thermapen goes on sale frequently for around US$60 or something like that.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Sign up for the Thermoworks mailing list, they have sales, open box, etc all the time.

dino. posted:

Dear gods how many people are y'all cooking for that a gallon sized pot is /small/.

I cook for 2 (and soon 3), but I work long hours and sometimes leftovers are the difference between a home cooked meal and takeout. There are also some minor annoyances around it being an awkward size for my burners and most Dutch oven recipes assuming you have a 5.5-7qt pot.

I use the 4qt all the time and it's perfectly fine. I intend to keep it and continue using it. But there has never been a situation where I felt like I couldn't do what I was doing as well or better in a standard sized DO. So my point is, if you want a second one, go for it; but it's not going to do something the Lodge won't :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

any recommendations for an instant-read thermometer? I had a Thermapen mk 2, but my ex left it on a burner and then I did the same a week later.

thermoworks dot is almost as fast as thermapen and very inexpensive

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

thermoworks dot is almost as fast as thermapen and very inexpensive

Thermopops are pretty great too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^oops, that's the one i meant (i have both). the dot is not an instant read, its an oven thermometer

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Dot reads pretty fast too and is nice to be able to monitor candy temps accurately instead of some janky glass tube.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gracias, everybody.

thanks to whoever recommended those sealing glass food containers, too. I love 'em.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I give up, I'm sick of my Asian friends mocking me for "making rice in a pan". Also, the girlfriend really likes that clumpy Chinese restaurant texture.

Recommendations for babby's first rice cooker?

I don't want to spend a lot, and I don't need a lot of modes... I'll be happy with a "Make Rice Now" button.

EDIT:

Maybe this little Zoji? $40, and 3 cups should be all I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS-06-3-Cup-Uncooked-Cooker/dp/B00004S575

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I give up, I'm sick of my Asian friends mocking me for "making rice in a pan". Also, the girlfriend really likes that clumpy Chinese restaurant texture.

I don't want to spend a lot, and I don't need a lot of modes... I'll be happy with a "Make Rice Now" button.

EDIT:

I've had a few of those and they are a downgrade from making rice on the stove. I graduated to making rice in a pot but my wife used to have a rice steamer where you put water in a separate doohickey and that thing made perfectly steamed rice but you had to season after and couldn't use stock. Unfortunately it's not sold anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

EDIT:

This is the new hotness of what I used for years. Worked great. Alternatively, spend the extra dough and get an instant pot, which will give you more options than just rice.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know your real budget, but I'd suggest thinking hard about paying extra for one with a timer. I upgraded from an Aroma because I wanted that feature, and I use it all the time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good advice, thank you.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is the new hotness of what I used for years. Worked great. Alternatively, spend the extra dough and get an instant pot, which will give you more options than just rice.

Yup. This is the one I've been suggesting to people since 2013. Get one. They will last forever. Ex husband got ours in the divorce. I bought a new one. Used that for years. Current rice cooker is a fancy one with bells, and/or whistles. Boyfriend has the Aroma now. He loves it, as the rice cooker makes consistently good rice every time. Don't get one of those lovely models where the top is a glass piece of crap.

PS The Aroma /does/ have a timer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not equipment, but Modernist Cuisine is on sale for $379

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...7c180bca33349bb

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Get one.

Whoa.

Beloved by both FGR and Dino, and ten bucks cheaper then what I picked out? drat, I love this thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

Whoa.

Beloved by both FGR and Dino, and ten bucks cheaper then what I picked out? drat, I love this thread.

I'd still recommend the Instant Pot though if you have the extra cash. I'm certain it'll be on sale on Friday or Monday.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/instant-pot-star-wars-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Not equipment, but Modernist Cuisine is on sale for $379

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...7c180bca33349bb

lmao

:filez: