Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
ive never actually played a video game but a lot of nerds seem to like them so they must be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mercrom posted:

ive never actually played a video game but a lot of nerds seem to like them so they must be poo poo

:agreed:

most things that nerds like are in fact very bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My thing with VR is that a) I get motion sick and b) I remember my dad buying one of the first cellphones and it was like. Why. That thing is huge and stupid looking, and a few years later we got actually good small cellphones. It feels like we're still in the real early stages of VR tech so I don't want to invest in something that expensive when something a lot better could be out in five years.

also have you seen how many good games have come out on steam recently? My backlog is stupid without bringing consoles into it!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's mostly because the questioning from people who havent tried it is usually ill-informed as they lack any context, and having to explain something over and over again is also kind of fatiguing. It's not like I haven't been linked that twitter thread a bunch of times before and while it makes a few good points it also makes a whole lot of bad ones. As an example a lot is written about how disconnection between the players hand position and the virtual one is absolutely unacceptable. Except it isn't, heaps of VR games do it, at worst it can look a bit weird. The author also mostly ignores the existence of physical VR controllers which solve a lot of the problems they bring up re: hand tracking.

Locomotion is also "solved", though it's still a bit complicated. Games mostly seem to be settling on allowing both teleport and stick locomotion, with comfort settings like FOV blinders as additional options. Artificial locomotion can be made far more comfortable by removing acceleration curves too, as your body doesn't feel movement if it's moving at a constant speed which removes the vestibular/visual mismatch that causes sim sickness for most people.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheFluff posted:

I have never tried VR at all. There are no VR games that really interest me and there are many other dumb electronic toys that rank higher than a VR headset in my nerd budget.

This sort of cult-ish posting where any questioning of the technology gets taken as a personal attack against users who have bought into it doesn't exactly sell me on VR either. Note that I have not actually said that VR is unenjoyable or that it's unworkable in general or anything like that - it seems amazing for flight sims and the like, just to mention one thing.

like honestly it really weirds me out how evangelizing people get about it and that there is no way you cannot do anything other than love it if you try it

I was extremely skeptical of VR as well until I tried my friend's Oculus headset a few years ago. It really is incredible how immersive it makes things and how well it works. Sucks about the motion sickness some people get

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

TheFluff posted:

:agreed:

most things that nerds like are in fact very bad

imagine being such a nerd that you freak out when you cant play the next installment in a long dead first person shooter franchise on the exact day of release because the developers want to try something new. imagine not being like "im gonna try this out in 5 years when its 5$ on steam with my friends second hand valve index 3"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's totally ok to not like VR, be skeptical of it, or have concerns with it based on stuff you read online. It's not ok to come tell people who already have it and enjoy it and tell them "no actually it's not great" and then call them a cult. This shouldn't need explaining.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

StrixNebulosa posted:

My thing with VR is that a) I get motion sick and b) I remember my dad buying one of the first cellphones and it was like. Why. That thing is huge and stupid looking, and a few years later we got actually good small cellphones. It feels like we're still in the real early stages of VR tech so I don't want to invest in something that expensive when something a lot better could be out in five years.

also have you seen how many good games have come out on steam recently? My backlog is stupid without bringing consoles into it!

I kind of feel you on this. The next generation or so of VR might be what I'm waiting for. As much as I like to look like a cyberpunk hammerhead shark with the current rig..

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chaosapiant posted:

It's totally ok to not like VR, be skeptical of it, or have concerns with it based on stuff you read online. It's not ok to come tell people who already have it and enjoy it and tell them "no actually it's not great" and then call them a cult. This shouldn't need explaining.

ok boomer

:v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 19, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

VarXX posted:

vr has a gun sandbox where you can zone out and play with murder toys, explosives and dismember hotdogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ocRe61lYB8&t=155s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YTo9JqZcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGfZlKMLfw

H3VR owns bones and I've put in way more hours on it than any other VR game. Nothing like loading up a map, covering an assault rifle with three grenade launchers, Pride flags, and Christmas lights and getting in gunfights with hotdogs.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I won a PSVR from taco bell like 3 years ago and I've maybe put 20 hours into it. I know there are some programs that let you hook it up to PC but does it work with enough Steam games to be worth it and how well?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Golashes posted:

I won a PSVR from taco bell like 3 years ago and I've maybe put 20 hours into it. I know there are some programs that let you hook it up to PC but does it work with enough Steam games to be worth it and how well?

theyre not good and not worth using either

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This is Diablo Immortal all over again gently caress this poo poo to hell

edit: I don't really care that much because they're not even really a videogame development company anymore and I already wrote off there being another HL or Portal game. But if you want to make a VR game great, fine, but why would you do this to troll people who have been waiting for a promised, then rescinded, sequel for like 12 years?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 19, 2019

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

This is Diablo Immortal all over gain gently caress this poo poo to hell

lol

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mercrom posted:

imagine being such a nerd that you freak out when you cant play the next installment in a long dead first person shooter franchise on the exact day of release because the developers want to try something new. imagine not being like "im gonna try this out in 5 years when its 5$ on steam with my friends second hand valve index 3"

Where'd you get the impression I was interested in Half-Life? :confused:

chaosapiant posted:

That's a reasonable response to a post that nobody has made. I made a post where I expressed doubt about the mainstream viability of VR in the near future and also mentioned some specific concerns about a certain type of user interface. What made me call VR cult-like was when this was met with a response that to me reads exactly like some bitcoin evangelist poo poo. It's like merely mentioning that that particular user interface looked uncomfortable made me an Enemy of VR and that the only reason anyone could possibly express doubt in its greatness would be that they haven't experienced its wonders for themselves yet. It's not that one post either, I've seen multiple examples just in the last few days of posters in various threads taking any questioning of VR's greatness whatsoever as some kind of personal insult and being extremely confrontative about it. That's what the cult thing is about.

Like, again, I have no doubts that it's loving amazing in a multitude of ways, and I have looked into it myself because despite my misgivings I am still a loving nerd who likes nerd toys, but disregarding the doubts about the gorilla arm interfaces I can't do roomsize in my apartment at all (in fact I doubt I could even do beatsaber without knocking something over), I have very little interest in flight sims and flight sim-likes, the "cheap" hardware with a lot of compromises is still really expensive, the ecosystem gives me format war vibes, and a lot of people still seem to get nausea from it. When I see that, and I look at myself as a loving nerd who has a high end gaming PC already and few qualms about spending money on expensive electronic toys, and I look at VR and I go "welp, maybe in two years there will be something that justifies the expense", then that makes me come to the conclusion that VR has a long way to go to mainstream adoption.

The bizarre nerd evangelizing triggering my contrarian rear end in a top hat side certainly doesn't help, either, but that's more of a forums posting thing than something that influences buying decisions.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 19, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Where'd you get the impression I was interested in Half-Life? :confused:

That's a reasonable response to a post that nobody has made. I made a post where I expressed doubt about the mainstream viability of VR in the near future and also mentioned some specific concerns about a certain type of user interface. What made me call VR cult-like was when this was met with a response that to me reads exactly like some bitcoin evangelist poo poo. It's like merely mentioning that that particular user interface looked uncomfortable made me an Enemy of VR and that the only reason anyone could possibly express doubt in its greatness would be that they haven't experienced its wonders for themselves yet. It's not that one post either, I've seen multiple examples just in the last few days of posters in various threads taking any questioning of VR's greatness whatsoever as some kind of personal insult and being extremely confrontative about it. That's what the cult thing is about.

Right, but your "specific concerns about a certain type of user interface" was in response to a game that we've already played and works fine. You said it looks like you'd get gorilla arms in five minutes flat. Ok, but you don't. I've played that game for multiple hours at a time with no issues, as have lots of other people. There are VR games that are designed to give you more of a workout, but that's not one of them. How are people supposed to respond to that except with "that's wrong"? It works fine. Your post was just ignorant. You're taking being corrected about something you're wrong about as people attacking you and being in a cult, which is a wild overreaction.

There are other concerns you've brought up that are totally valid - PCVR can be a huge pain in the rear end, space is an issue, nausea can be an issue. But again, these issues have been acknowledged and worked on for a long time now. Stuff like the Quest can optionally be hooked up to a PC, but otherwise is standalone so you're not restricted to being near your computer, so you can bring it to other areas that have more space. Stuff like the Rift S and HTC Cosmos (don't buy a Cosmos) and WMR headsets are tracked inside out, so you don't need extra sensors so setup is easier. People have been learning about comfort options to reduce nausea, as well as working on different types of locomotion that reduce motion sickness while still giving you a lot of freedom (like the flight in Stormlands which is guided by moving around your arms, or Echo Arena where it's in zero G but the movement is based on grabbing and throwing yourself off of objects, which is much more comfortable than you think it'd be).

I think broadly the reaction you're getting is more just that you know less than other people do and you're overconfident in what you think you know.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Missionary Positron posted:

This poo poo is going to bomb so hard lmao

Pretty much, but a traditional Half-Life sequel would still have been dicey. The expectation is so insanely out of proportion that another Half-Life is like making a new Star Wars movie. Someone was always going to be upset. What would it even have looked like? Just more HL2, or a full departure from corridor shooter to open world or some multiplayer thing? I assume the reason there hasn't been one in 15 years is that Valve didn't have a good answer to that question either.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Donnerberg posted:

Pretty much, but a traditional Half-Life sequel would still have been dicey. The expectation is so insanely out of proportion that another Half-Life is like making a new Star Wars movie. Someone was always going to be upset. What would it even have looked like? Just more HL2, or a full departure from corridor shooter to open world or some multiplayer thing? I assume the reason there hasn't been one in 15 years is that Valve didn't have a good answer to that question either.

I remember way back in the day Yahtzee's main criticism of Episode 2 being, 'Yeah this is all great and incredibly well made but.... where are you guys going with this? This is starting to get a bit repetitive.' and I feel like that's exactly what Valve thought about it internally as well. They haven't wanted to work on a new Half-Life unless it was something that they could actually trailblaze with.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Donnerberg posted:

I mean, if they had just finished Episode 3 in a reasonable amount of time they wouldn't have had that problem.

Like, Episode 3 was promised to include the portal gun for example. You can just take HL2, put it on a freaky interdimensional ship / a couple Combine installations, add the portal gun, and that would've worked great for 2009-2010. Imagine the portal gun and the gravity gun working in tandem.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Palpek posted:

Valve develops gaming hardware, Valve uses a strong series IP it already owns to help sell that hardware. I'm somewhat not surprised. From the marketing standpoint it's the way to go. That's how they marketed Steam to people years ago.

I get that at the same time it's a monkey's paw wish come true and lol that this is how it ends up happenning but I have to say that personally I just don't care for HL that much. If you asked me a few years ago then sure but it's been 10+ years since the last game, I'm just not invested in it anymore.

thanks for phrasing my thoughts better. That was basically exactly my point but with a hangover and from my phone.

also if this is not a business move to expand their VR base... what is the point of using that franchise at all?

EPIC did very well iirc with their robo shooter that is not connected to Fortnite or Unreal or Jazz Jackrabbit.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Tbh VR has no great games or games that aren't a short novelty; don't believe anyone saying otherwise. I have a Vive and love it but unless this game is as moddable as HL2 was I don't see how it could be more than 20 hours of gameplay max. People can get lost in VR and spend hours in there (check out the people who love VRChat), but the only way that will happen if there are fun social multiplayer modes like Garrysmod or Trouble in Terrorist Town.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lemming posted:

Right, but your "specific concerns about a certain type of user interface" was in response to a game that we've already played and works fine. You said it looks like you'd get gorilla arms in five minutes flat. Ok, but you don't. I've played that game for multiple hours at a time with no issues, as have lots of other people. There are VR games that are designed to give you more of a workout, but that's not one of them. How are people supposed to respond to that except with "that's wrong"? It works fine. Your post was just ignorant. You're taking being corrected about something you're wrong about as people attacking you and being in a cult, which is a wild overreaction.
If the response actually was "nah it's not uncomfortable, it's fine" rather than "you're a FUDster from 2017" maybe I would have had a different reaction? :thunk:
Maybe that reading was rather uncharitable, but what was actually said was that there are lots of units sold. What do I look like, someone trying to short Oculus stock? This weird defensive posture where instead of just going "nah" you go and drag up some appeal to the crowd sort of argument is what really gives me the snake oil salesman vibes.

Lemming posted:

There are other concerns you've brought up that are totally valid - PCVR can be a huge pain in the rear end, space is an issue, nausea can be an issue. But again, these issues have been acknowledged and worked on for a long time now. Stuff like the Quest can optionally be hooked up to a PC, but otherwise is standalone so you're not restricted to being near your computer, so you can bring it to other areas that have more space. Stuff like the Rift S and HTC Cosmos (don't buy a Cosmos) and WMR headsets are tracked inside out, so you don't need extra sensors so setup is easier. People have been learning about comfort options to reduce nausea, as well as working on different types of locomotion that reduce motion sickness while still giving you a lot of freedom (like the flight in Stormlands which is guided by moving around your arms, or Echo Arena where it's in zero G but the movement is based on grabbing and throwing yourself off of objects, which is much more comfortable than you think it'd be).

I think broadly the reaction you're getting is more just that you know less than other people do and you're overconfident in what you think you know.
I dunno dude, to me it seems like what you're saying that this is still an immature product that may have taken some major steps from where it started, but there's still a lot of throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. I don't know if you're even disagreeing with me, really.

Again, I haven't said it sucks. I haven't said it's a fad. All I said was "that looks uncomfortable", "here are some things that seem like terrible UI ideas" (and I even specifically brought up some that I thought weren't relevant, only to have those pointed out to me, of course), and "I don't think it'll be mainstream for a while yet". It's really not a big deal. You don't need to try to sell me a headset, I will probably get one eventually. But not now.

e: and stop bringing up the loving quest, it's like the perfect example of why you shouldn't buy VR yet. locking yourself in to a 0th generation $400 console with years-old hardware when the entire market could be turned on its head in six months from now is a terrible loving idea. yes you can use with a PC but that's with compromises and caveats. jeez you people

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 19, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pontificating rear end posted:

Tbh VR has no great games or games that aren't a short novelty; don't believe anyone saying otherwise. I have a Vive and love it but unless this game is as moddable as HL2 was I don't see how it could be more than 20 hours of gameplay max. People can get lost in VR and spend hours in there (check out the people who love VRChat), but the only way that will happen if there are fun social multiplayer modes like Garrysmod or Trouble in Terrorist Town.

This is aiming to be a full length 15 hour game apparently, which is one of the bigger complaints about VR stuff. I'm excited for it, but if I didn't own VR stuff I wouldn't be jazzed right now either.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptRJqzJTE3I

As long as I can recreate awful one arm physics with tits I’ll be happy

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

e: and stop bringing up the loving quest, it's like the perfect example of why you shouldn't buy VR yet. locking yourself in to a 0th generation $400 console with years-old hardware when the entire market could be turned on its head in six months from now is a terrible loving idea. yes you can use with a PC but that's with compromises and caveats. jeez you people

Lol, what? Again, this shows that you don't know what you're talking about. In what way would the entire market be turned on its head? There's no competitor that can realistically show up, there was a ton of effort involved in getting the Quest to work as well as it does. It came out six months ago, so it's still extremely new. The hardware being years old is irrelevant, what matters is what it can do, and it's capable of giving you the full PCVR experience with some stripped down graphics that are still capable of looking great. The software for hooking it up to the PC is still in beta, true, but I tried it out last night and while the resolution is a little lower, that's really the only "compromise" - it works pretty much just like a Rift does.

Saying buying one is "a terrible loving idea" is pretty funny coming from the same post where you were complaining that people were being too mean to you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

My guy, until you actually try it you are an old dude complaining about mid engine Corvettes or electric Mustangs.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lemming posted:

Lol, what? Again, this shows that you don't know what you're talking about. In what way would the entire market be turned on its head? There's no competitor that can realistically show up, there was a ton of effort involved in getting the Quest to work as well as it does. It came out six months ago, so it's still extremely new. The hardware being years old is irrelevant, what matters is what it can do, and it's capable of giving you the full PCVR experience with some stripped down graphics that are still capable of looking great. The software for hooking it up to the PC is still in beta, true, but I tried it out last night and while the resolution is a little lower, that's really the only "compromise" - it works pretty much just like a Rift does.

Saying buying one is "a terrible loving idea" is pretty funny coming from the same post where you were complaining that people were being too mean to you.

I'm not talking about the hardware market. In this very thread people are celebrating what seems like the first mainstream Actual Game for VR, something that could finally get people to buy headsets. Here's my question to you: will it run on the Quest? Okay, maybe that's an unfair question since it's made by a competitor, but what about the next big game? And it doesn't even need to be "will it run", "will it run well" is a good enough question. Even you VR stans acknowledge that VR doesn't have a killer app yet, no?

Even if you're buying it for PCVR you're still betting a lot on that console being relevant for next year's games, when it's already making compromises in quality now, and you're sacrificing both resolution, refresh rate and latency even on PC. And even then it's generally regarded as bulky and uncomfortable and with lovely speakers. At $400, mind you. In fact the only headset that doesn't look like it sort of sucks in one way or another is the Index, but, well, at that price point it'd better not.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 19, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've used a VR headset exactly once and the lenses constantly steamed up from my sweaty fat face having to move.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I'm not talking about the hardware market. In this very thread people are celebrating what seems like the first mainstream Actual Game for VR, something that could finally get people to buy headsets. Here's my question to you: will it run on the Quest? Okay, maybe that's an unfair question since it's made by a competitor, but what about the next big game? And it doesn't even need to be "will it run", "will it run well" is a good enough question.

Even if you're buying it for PCVR you're still betting a lot on that console being relevant for next year's games, when it's already making compromises in quality now, and you're sacrificing both resolution, refresh rate and latency, and even then it's generally regarded as bulky and uncomfortable and with lovely speakers. At $400, mind you. In fact the only headset that doesn't look like it sort of sucks in one way or another is the Index, but, well, at that price point it better not.

Yes. You can play any of the games with any of the headsets, and now that the Quest can be hooked up to the PC like a Rift it's compatible with all SteamVR games.

The resolution is still better than the Rift/Vive even with the compression, and those are both still great headsets. The refresh rate is lower, but it's still good. Latency isn't noticeable at all. The controllers are the same as the Rift S (literally, not figuratively). The speakers work fine, but you can plug in any headset or earbuds if you want. The fit is broadly considered to be pretty comfortable, and there's any number of after market things you can get to make it more comfortable ranging from cheap to expensive.

The Index is definitely a great option if you have the extra cash and are willing to deal with the lighthouses.

It's pretty clear at this point that you're madly googling and copying any criticisms you can find.

Edit: oh, now you're saying there's no killer app. Killer apps don't really exist anymore, but there's a lot of stuff that you can already dump thousands of hours into as well as specific, fantastic experiences you can't get anywhere else. Beat Saber is the closest there is to a killer app, and there's a huge modding scene so you can play basically any song you can think of.

I could rattle off a list of stuff for you but you'd just move the goalposts again. This is just another case of you mistaking your not knowing about something for it not existing.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lemming posted:

Yes. You can play any of the games with any of the headsets, and now that the Quest can be hooked up to the PC like a Rift it's compatible with all SteamVR games.
I said on the Quest, not on PC, you disingenuous rear end. Can I run DCS on the Quest without a PC? What about Skyrim? The Quest has been sold as a standalone thing for almost half a year. PC connectivity launched literally a week ago.

Again, I ask you: will someone who bought a Quest to get in on this VR hype but doesn't have a gaming PC be able to play this new Half-Life game?

Lemming posted:

It's pretty clear at this point that you're madly googling and copying any criticisms you can find.
Why would I google when these criticisms are right here on the forums, in the VR thread?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 19, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not a cult, you're the cult!!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't believe we're getting a VR remaster of Hunt Down the Freeman!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
half life alyx is a fully immersive virtual reality reconstruction of gabe's basement and you (gabe) get to relive the wonder of the original halflife on a mint condition pentium 3, to which a team of 40 scientists has spent years adding lasers

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I said on the Quest, not on PC, you disingenuous rear end. Can I run DCS on the Quest without a PC? What about Skyrim? The Quest has been sold as a standalone thing for almost half a year. PC connectivity launched literally a week ago.

Again, I ask you: will someone who bought a Quest to get in on this VR hype but doesn't have a gaming PC be able to play this new Half-Life game?

Why would I google when these criticisms are right here on the forums, in the VR thread?

What on Earth? Are you trying to criticize the Quest for costing $400, being completely standalone, and not being able to run software like a $1,000 PC can, despite the fact that it can also hook up to a PC like any of the other PCVR headsets?? What????

Well you say there are no games and that OP listed a bunch, I sure gave you too much credit that you wouldn't pick and choose!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's finally here.

The topic where VR and Anti-VR goons... Finally battle.

*Sighs, looks at his fedora and katana and stands, knees creaking under the weight*

Sorry, meatspace body... It's time to jack in.

One.

Last.

Time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
VR will not go big until it reaches amazon alexa/nintendo wii levels of accessibility. Then a lot of people will buy it and stop using it after a week because jacking into the matrix isnt something most people find relaxing or enjoyable. It will still have its fans among the ayahuasca crowd.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Songbearer posted:

It's finally here.

The topic where VR and Anti-VR goons... Finally battle.

*Sighs, looks at his fedora and katana and stands, knees creaking under the weight*

Sorry, meatspace body... It's time to jack in.

One.

Last.

Time.

Your avatar has eluded me for years. Who is it? Is it Sascha Mitchell/Cody from Step by Step?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Finally free of my corpulent flesh, I hover in a white void for a while. I breathe in the sterile cyber-air, my Oculus™ SmellSense™ gear giving me a hint of chlorine and walnut. A few moments pass, then a voice, stiff and robotic.

'Welcome, Songbearer. The time for war is upon us. You have chosen the correct side. We thank you.'

The sound of Zuckerberg himself.

'It's my honor, Mark.'

'Do not call me that. Only Cyber-Warriors Of The Sixteenth Rank may call me that.'

A jolt of electricity shocks me back to my senses. It's fine - I shan't be returning to my prison of flesh anymore after this.

A flash of light and I'm standing side by side by my brothers in arms, fully kitted out in the avatars of their choice. Finally, my true form is revealed! I smirk, swishing my neon blue electrotail and strike a pose as I become Lutreica The FuckFox. I look at my wrist after navigating my arm past my mountainous H-cup breasts.

CYBER-PEON, FIRST RANK. YOUR TASK: DEFEND THE HONOUR OF FACEBOOK™ OCULUS™ VIRTUAL REALITY TECHNOLOGY.

POPULATION: 6 USERS. 202,472 PARACHUTE ACCOUNTS.

Was I truly ready to do this? Could I wage war on my home for the past... god, how many years was it? Too many. Too many years.

I sighed. My hands fell to my hips, only to fondle the smooth grips of two FaceCorp BadPostBlasters. Real poo poo. The best in the business.

My vulpine face curls into a sneer and my sixteen foot long dick springs erect. We're gonna make a mess with these babies. Let's rock.

chaosapiant posted:

Your avatar has eluded me for years. Who is it? Is it Sascha Mitchell/Cody from Step by Step?

It's my Saints Row character based of, well, me from like 2010. I've wanted to change it to something a little less dumb but gently caress it, little guy's been there so long he can stay. Rep the row forever, little dude :unsmith:

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
i only got psvr!! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lemming posted:

What on Earth? Are you trying to criticize the Quest for costing $400, being completely standalone, and not being able to run software like a $1,000 PC can, despite the fact that it can also hook up to a PC like any of the other PCVR headsets?? What????

Well you say there are no games and that OP listed a bunch, I sure gave you too much credit that you wouldn't pick and choose!

:cripes:

The selling point of the Quest is that it is a standalone console:

Lemming posted:

Stuff like the Quest can optionally be hooked up to a PC, but otherwise is standalone

KakerMix posted:

Hardware has settled a bit, and there is an entirely stand alone headset (the Quest) that is out, right now, that gives you true VR experiences without a super PC needed.

It has been sold as such for months. It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy. As a PCVR headset, well, right now, it's so beta that the audio doesn't work and in your own words:

Lemming posted:

Link impressions: noticeably lower resolution

You can argue that it's a good enough PCVR headset and that if you buy it for that the console parts make it worth the tradeoff vs the Rift S, but the entire selling point that both you and KakerMix has been dragging up repeatedly is that it's totally a standalone thing that doesn't need a PC. Which is technically true, but I maintain that buying it as a console is a terrible idea.