Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Quick question. Is it really worth it to run containers when you're normally just running it on a Windows install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Irritated Goat posted:

Quick question. Is it really worth it to run containers when you're normally just running it on a Windows install?

Hmm.

"Worth it" is kind of subjective.

For me it'd be worth it just because it gives me a lot of flexibility and it's easier to maintain, but if you don't know anything about containers and you don't care about learning them then it's probably not.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm.

"Worth it" is kind of subjective.

For me it'd be worth it just because it gives me a lot of flexibility and it's easier to maintain, but if you don't know anything about containers and you don't care about learning them then it's probably not.

Learning would be fun but I'm just worried about system resources a bit due to it also being my gaming PC\plex server.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Have the Black Friday deals largely already popped up yet or are they still yet to come?

I am looking at building my own NAS from an old Acer XC600 desktop I have to use as a Plex server. I have access to a family members Plex server so I won't need to be pulling down tons of stuff, just a few specific things they don't have (they aren't really scifi fans so are missing most of that genre from their collection for example).

I'll try not to poo poo up the thread with bad questions but will probably have a few. From reading a few pages back to now though it looks like I should just grab a block plan for my needs at 1-2 different providers and will need to get a good indexer. What's a good indexer to go for given that Drunkenslug is closed for now?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I've had no problems with NZBgeek so far. I paid up for lifetime because I am lazy and don't think they're going away anytime soon.

BF deals haven't shown up yet AFAIK, wait until..Black Friday? :)

I got a Usenetserver.com one a while back for $20/year unlimited with VPN.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Irritated Goat posted:

Learning would be fun but I'm just worried about system resources a bit due to it also being my gaming PC\plex server.

For your purposes there's basically no additional resource usage of running in containers vs just running on the host. (except the containers take up a lot of space...think of it like downloading a whole OS for each app, but not quite as bad as that sounds)

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

That Works posted:

I'll try not to poo poo up the thread with bad questions but will probably have a few. From reading a few pages back to now though it looks like I should just grab a block plan for my needs at 1-2 different providers and will need to get a good indexer. What's a good indexer to go for given that Drunkenslug is closed for now?

https://nzbfinder.ws/register is always open and they seem to share nzbs with drunkenslug and tabula-rasa. They give you five free downloads a day, so you can sign up and see if they have the stuff you want before paying.

Bank posted:

I've had no problems with NZBgeek so far. I paid up for lifetime because I am lazy and don't think they're going away anytime soon.

And as with everything else, if anyone's planning on doing this they should wait until Black Friday. I think they did a $20 lifetime deal on a Black Friday when I signed up.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

This should give you an idea roughly of the resources a fairly sizable container based nzb/torrent system takes up. There are a few extra containers in there to support my home automation. This is all running on a Synology NAS.

Also the radarr is currently doing a refresh thats why it's CPU is higher.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah sonarr and your insatiable desire for ram while not doing much.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

so, I gather that they have they properly sorted out gaming performance with hyperv enabled at this point? early on (windows 2008, yes I gamed on windows 2008) it was a very problematic thing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It certainly does still impact performance, I/O operations especially were heavily affected in my tests. But with how fast PCs are nowadays, it's well possible to play with Hyper-V enabled.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah i have to restart the container every month or two, must be some sort of slow memory leak i guess.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Limiting the RAM resource in the Docker also works. When I had less RAM in the NAS I'd limit it to 700MB and Sonarr ran without issue. Some of those apps just grab more naturally if it is available and don't give it up until the NAS is stressed, it's hard to say what is actually needed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Getting a lot of "this release is blacklisted" on NZBgeek. Does this mean that the release no longer exists on the servers due to DMCA or something?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Getting a lot of "this release is blacklisted" on NZBgeek. Does this mean that the release no longer exists on the servers due to DMCA or something?

If your downloader fails to complete a download it will automatically blacklist the release so that it doesn't keep trying to grab it ad-infinitum.

I see this a lot with some shows, makes me think I should pick up a block account at some point on a different provider.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to having my download directory on a different physical hard drive than the unpacking destination? I’ve got a / mount point and a /videos mount point and they are separate physical drives in the same machine. Right now I have my downloads inside /videos but would it be advantageous to me to move downloads somewhere else off of my videos drive?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GutBomb posted:

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to having my download directory on a different physical hard drive than the unpacking destination? I’ve got a / mount point and a /videos mount point and they are separate physical drives in the same machine. Right now I have my downloads inside /videos but would it be advantageous to me to move downloads somewhere else off of my videos drive?

If you want better disk performance then yeah.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wouldn't unpacking to another drive mean better disk performance, though? Because the heads don't have to move back and forth? Seems like a beneficial setup to me. File copy operations on the same drive are terrible for performance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a spare drive bay in my USB DAS that I’m so considering putting an ssd into just for unpacking and stuff. I have gigabit internet, and seeing a huge queue for post processing during a backfill is just depressing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any ideas for a way to make Sonarr grab a certain critically acclaimed totally not about vietnam doctor comedy show WITHOUT a laughtrack? I can only find a laugh version.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a spare drive bay in my USB DAS that I’m so considering putting an ssd into just for unpacking and stuff. I have gigabit internet, and seeing a huge queue for post processing during a backfill is just depressing.

With my Gigabit connection and unpacking on a shingled drive, I could download in minutes but spend hours unpacking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s funny, it kinda makes storing everything in the cloud attractive (alas the costs of doing that with speed is less attractive).

Dongattack posted:

Any ideas for a way to make Sonarr grab a certain critically acclaimed totally not about vietnam doctor comedy show WITHOUT a laughtrack? I can only find a laugh version.

Sounds like the dvds have 2 audio tracks, so check just in case the rips have both encoded. Then I guess you could flip the order for each file rather than hand select each time if that’s the case.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it’s funny, it kinda makes storing everything in the cloud attractive (alas the costs of doing that with speed is less attractive).

Sounds like the dvds have 2 audio tracks, so check just in case the rips have both encoded. Then I guess you could flip the order for each file rather than hand select each time if that’s the case.

Of course, i didn't even consider that, thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

Wouldn't unpacking to another drive mean better disk performance, though? Because the heads don't have to move back and forth? Seems like a beneficial setup to me. File copy operations on the same drive are terrible for performance.

OTOH, file move operations on the same file system are near-instantaneous. Just something to keep in mind.

(my downloading/unpacking happens on my SSD system drive and downloads all get moved to various ZFS pools)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

OTOH, file move operations on the same file system are near-instantaneous. Just something to keep in mind.

(my downloading/unpacking happens on my SSD system drive and downloads all get moved to various ZFS pools)

Depending on the tool used, it's very likely the unpacking happens in the download folder and a move operation happens after - so that would mean a performance loss.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

Depending on the tool used, it's very likely the unpacking happens in the download folder and a move operation happens after - so that would mean a performance loss.

Nzbget makes this a configurable option. I can't remember if sabnzbd does, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Anyway, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was pointing out something you should think about when you configure your client.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It fascinates me how terrible some design decisions of Sonarr are. I've had it ID the wrong season of anime (it's pretty bad at it), when I go to change the season it'll also blank out the episode number (which sometimes is already right). Okay fine I'll just type it in... no it makes you select it from a list. Actually it does that with seasons too as if someone doesn't have number keys on their keyboard. Like it's trying to be helpful, but makes a simple task take longer.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Duck and Cover posted:

It fascinates me how terrible some design decisions of Sonarr are. I've had it ID the wrong season of anime (it's pretty bad at it), when I go to change the season it'll also blank out the episode number (which sometimes is already right). Okay fine I'll just type it in... no it makes you select it from a list. Actually it does that with seasons too as if someone doesn't have number keys on their keyboard. Like it's trying to be helpful, but makes a simple task take longer.

Sounds like another one for the list of reasons not to watch anime

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

V3 does a way better job with that stuff, but yes when in doubt blame anime.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
What if the same problem affects video content watched by non-degenerates, though? I imagine that's his point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can't say I've ever had to manually edit season/episode number tagging in bulk aside from those few series where the official numbering is an absolute clusterfuck and the community has been unable to agree on which scheme to follow.

Sure an episode or two might end up wrong every now and then, usually because some idiot posted it wrong, but it's certainly not a consistent problem.

I'm currently tracking over 200 series and the last time I did any significant manual editing was when Mythbusters was still airing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Check boxing is annoying but I guess it ensures it’s filed exactly as you want it to be with no room for error. But yeah I believe if he did this in V3 it would give it another stab of auto calculating it after the season is changed. You can also check a whole bunch of episodes and set show name and season number in one click which is a massive improvement.

The only time I really have issues with this stuff is due to bad tagging, especially with ‘specials’. Like there was a bunch of Good Place webisodes that came out before the new season, and the folder tag marked them as .S04. which caused issues naturally.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Duck and Cover posted:

ID the wrong season for download or for adding the series? Download, blame "the scene", Adding, blame TVDB's roving band of idiots. Someone changed a whole bunch of shows on mine to Russian posters for the shows. I really wish there was another site for shows cause it's dumb as gently caress.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irritated Goat posted:

Someone changed a whole bunch of shows on mine to Russian posters for the shows.

Yeah I've had this one a few times. Don't really care too much about the posters in Sonarr, but had a Hebrew poster for South Park show up last week for some reason. I know TVDB is under massive API issues right now as they've changed over to a new version, so metadata is barely working and posters are completely AWOL for most of us.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My issue isn't that anime is poorly IDed (I mean sure it is an issue but not really my main complain there). The issue is it actively makes manually fixing it harder for reasons. I think those reasons are that they believe it makes things easier, but it clearly makes it take longer so I don't get it. Sure being better at IDing the files would fix my issue but also not having garbage UI design would work too. I'm pretty sure I've had files with "Seasons 2" in the name and it's like hmmmmmmm okay I think that's season 1.

Irritated Goat posted:

ID the wrong season for download or for adding the series? Download, blame "the scene", Adding, blame TVDB's roving band of idiots. Someone changed a whole bunch of shows on mine to Russian posters for the shows. I really wish there was another site for shows cause it's dumb as gently caress.

It's when I do a manual add. . Anime having lovely tittles isn't new, and should have been taken into account when designing the program. Of course if you don't care that people want to use your program for anime I suppose you could ignore it completely. I'm also not convinced titles like that are so difficult to ID with the right season (in the screenshot I had already changed season which has had Sonarr helpfully deleting the episode number for me to fill in)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duck and Cover posted:

Anime having lovely tittles isn't knew, and should have been taken into account when designing the program.

Lol no, look at that loving garbage folder name. Run it through a specialized cleaner before hand, and if anyone on the development team spends more than 5 minutes trying to fix unpredictable weeb poo poo then I will burn their house down.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol no, look at that loving garbage folder name. Run it through a specialized cleaner before hand, and if anyone on the development team spends more than 5 minutes trying to fix unpredictable weeb poo poo then I will burn their house down.

Can't imagine how a program could search for "Season 2" in a string and find it. That's just too advanced! The name is a mess, but it still has the information necessary to ID it. Oh no it's "weeb poo poo" clearly the users of usenet/sonarr etc probably have no interest in that! You do realize anime is pretty popular? Probably very heavily so with the people who use usenet? (maybe not as torrents/streaming is general the way to go) Like I get it hating anime is cool and all but really it's just loving tiresome. Oh you hate live action films? Oh you hate books? Here's a secret the majority of most of anything is bad. So saying anime is bad, while that's true it's not really anything special in that regards.

Also and more importantly it identifies the episodes right just the season is wrong but when I fix the season it blanks out the episodes. That's just poo poo, plain and simple.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 20, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hasn't anime always had issues like using weird codecs and subtitle garbage and some other things? Whether you hate anime or not, I'm not surprised developers just try to ignore it when for whatever reason, their poo poo is always a mess.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Inept posted:

Hasn't anime always had issues like using weird codecs and subtitle garbage and some other things? Whether you hate anime or not, I'm not surprised developers just try to ignore it when for whatever reason, their poo poo is always a mess.

I don't even think it's just anime that has that problem it's much more guilty of it and most shows have enough people uploading it that it doesn't matter if Sonarr can't really ID some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Think this will be the thread to find out the good indexer BF deals? Saw the posts about it, but some posts when they're live would be nice.