Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's more of a resistance imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Sure, we're all about defying unjust authorities, but Befehl ist Befehl.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly, the trash galaxy deserves and appears to mostly actually desire the empire. End of star war, moral being that better things aren't possible

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kylo. Buddy. Just buy a new loving helmet.

but branding

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I lol'd for real.

i quietly lol'd when i got to the part of about them eating space-soy, could't help it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Asgerd posted:

Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising.

They widely practiced skyfaring, a form of calisthenics exercise involving the use of scarves to climb wooden scaffolding and suspend themselves in midair, and had a purpose-built skyfaring room within the Gatalentan senatorial complex on Coruscant. Advanced practioners of skyfaring were able to meditate in place, "unmoored to the ground," and so enhance their spiritual well-being and that of those around them. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.

Gatelenta was ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free. The Gatalentan people were known for living austerely, wearing only pale grey or white clothing, the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional scarlet cloaks. In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Jedi Purge.

Gatalentan tea was the planet's most popular export along with a healthy meat-substitute known as soypro which could even be found in the Outer Rim Territories. Leia Organa was particularly fond of this tea.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/158042815128023040

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol at the red super glue

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kylo. Buddy. Just buy a new loving helmet.

i think they were going for a Kintsugi look. However, usually you use gold for that and not bright red plastic plasteel.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Everyone else was conquered and/or submitted to the first order off screen. I know people have trouble with this because it's insanely stupid but it is literally the first thing stated in the opening crawl

They were conquered *after* their super weapon and a large chunk of the first orders forces were destroyed? What the gently caress

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

They were conquered *after* their super weapon and a large chunk of the first orders forces were destroyed? What the gently caress

Yes, they appear to have an infinite amount of forces so any such losses are immaterial. People talk a lot of poo poo on JJ deservedly but this one was pure Rian

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yes, they appear to have an infinite amount of forces so any such losses are immaterial. People talk a lot of poo poo on JJ deservedly but this one was pure Rian

That's not quite fair, other than some vague language in the opening scroll, Last Jedi just altogether sidesteps any questions about the scale of the conflict or the state of the galaxy as a whole. All we see are a few FO ships chasing a few less Resistance ships.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

it was also after the first order destroyed presumably the entire new republic fleet that was all hanging out on not-courscant for some reason

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Terror Sweat posted:

The First Order were not supposed to be a standing threat anymore as of the end of TFA, everything about them in TLJ is backfill making up for how badly everyone misread the room when TFA came out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

General Dog posted:

That's not quite fair, other than some vague language in the opening scroll, Last Jedi just altogether sidesteps any questions about the scale of the conflict or the state of the galaxy as a whole. All we see are a few FO ships chasing a few less Resistance ships.

I don't think it's vague at all, people just refuse to accept that the opening crawl means what it says because it's too stupid. But the events of the movie are actually 100% consistent with the first order reigning in the rest of the galaxy. JJ is of course going to ignore this anyway so it's pretty moot, but I honestly believe people just refuse to accept rian's intent because it is so implausible

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Yeah, the movie's situation is consistent with the opening crawl, it's just not consistent with the previous movie.

TLJ Opening Crawl posted:

Episode VIII
THE LAST JEDI
The FIRST ORDER reigns.
Having decimated the peaceful
Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke
now deploys the merciless
legions to seize military
control of the galaxy.

Only General Leia Organa's
band of RESISTANCE fighters
stand against the rising
tyranny, certain that Jedi
Master Luke Skywalker will
return and restore a spark of
hope to the fight.

But the Resistance has been
exposed. As the First Order
speeds toward the rebel base,
the brave heroes mount a
desperate escape....

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The bigger question is what was Princess Leia resisting in TFA?

TFA Opening Crawl posted:

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS
Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the
REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa
leads a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace
and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke's whereabouts....

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

remember how the old ally was a character we’d never seen or heard of before who died immediately and had no significance whatsoever beyond being played by a beloved actor

that old ally we all know and love

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Charitably:
- You can say reigns is meant to be metaphorical but I don't think that's consistent with how opening crawls are usually written.
- You can say that snook is deploying his legions to seize control, implying that perhaps this process is not yet complete. Seems ambiguous, but I'd say the movie itself more suggests that it's done, at least by the time no one answers Leia on the radio. In any case nothing that happens in the movie would stop this process if it wasn't quite complete at the beginning anyway.

Looking forward to each opening crawl being dedicated to mainly retconning the previous opening crawl in the many, many films to come

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 19, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can also tell the republic ceased to exist between star warses 7 and 8 because it ceased to be worthy of all caps

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mandrel posted:

remember how the old ally was a character we’d never seen or heard of before who died immediately and had no significance whatsoever beyond being played by a beloved actor

that old ally we all know and love

Yeah tfas entire loving opening is absolutely insane and there was no way to rescue the trilogy from the idiot box that was the result. New republic being the weimar republic and Max von sydow having the map to Luke and dying with no explanation was just ridiculous

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Why are people making the same tired and misguided critics of LTJ in the spoiler thread? I’m here for vague leaks dammit, not people complaining about the only three flaws in the LTJ.
Those flaws?

1) no actual lightsaber fight.

2) you’re mom joke

3) somebody saying God speed in Star Wars instead of May the force be with you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

kills me dead every time

How come nobody makes comics like this but in defense of Solo?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come nobody makes comics like this but in defense of Solo?

disney didn't bother pushing the narrative that only an alt-right chud would dislike solo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

panel 3 really baffles me because like, what consequences does poe face?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

panel 3 really baffles me because like, what consequences does poe face?

He was demoted for disobeying Leia, and that demotion is part of why Holdo doesn't tell him her plans.

Like, I'm not getting into whether that argument has merit, but that's clearly what the comic is talking about.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

He was demoted for disobeying Leia, and that demotion is part of why Holdo doesn't tell him her plans.

Like, I'm not getting into whether that argument has merit, but that's clearly what the comic is talking about.

sure but he's demoted for all of a day before holdo goes 'actually i like him' and does her big heroic sacrifice to resolve the situation. depending on how you place the blame holdo either dies to undo her mistake or dies to undo poe's mistake and either one isn't really a great look from a wokeness identity politics angle

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The problem with the Holdo/Poe conflict as a representation of toxic masculinity / male entitlement is if you switch their genders then a middle aged man telling a younger female subordinate to shut up and trust his secret plan that gets everyone killed would also be an example of toxic masculinity and entitlement.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

Jedi general Owen Lars ????

Owen buys his clothes at the Tatooine army surplus store.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's also a case where her plan isn't good enough to justify the bait and switch being pulled on the audience. Like, we see everything from Poe's pov the whole time- the framing leads the audience to find Holdo cowardly, incompetent, and possibly treasonous. Then the movie says "shame on you, Poe and you, audience, for not believing that Holdo had a plan"; and then the plan turns out to be a colossal failure regardless.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's more of a resistance imo

They’re independent contractors working to destabilize a region of space after their capitalist home worlds were astro 9/11’d.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

euphronius posted:

Luke didn’t plot to kill Ren

you're right, it was actually attempted murder

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wild Horses posted:

you're right, it was actually attempted murder

Wrong your honor, if my client draws his weapon in the heat of passion, but hesitates and makes the decision not to kill the so called "victim" intent is not present. He can only be charged with endangerment, and assault.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We have about a month remaining to get through the thread's greatest hits and we're making good progress. Lukechat would be good to get out of the way for sure. Who wants to be the rope a dope for the jakkuine revival

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
YES HE DESERVES TO DIE AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL *brushes imaginary dust from shoulder*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing about Luke is I don't believe he would ever start a Jedi academy in the first place, even though that's the premise of most supplementary books. He threw his lightsaber away in RotJ.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The thing about Luke is I don't believe he would ever start a Jedi academy in the first place, even though that's the premise of most supplementary books. He threw his lightsaber away in RotJ.

That's what I thought for years, but a screenshot from the Ewok party shows its back on his belt by the end. He probably scooped it up with the force while dragging his fried dad into the elevator

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Blood Boils posted:

That's what I thought for years, but a screenshot from the Ewok party shows its back on his belt by the end. He probably scooped it up with the force while dragging his fried dad into the elevator

Yeah, he wasn't saying he would never fight again, he was saying he wouldn't give in to his anger and murder his defenseless father. Hell, he even says right then, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Him starting a new Jedi Academy makes perfect sense.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We have about a month remaining to get through the thread's greatest hits and we're making good progress. Lukechat would be good to get out of the way for sure. Who wants to be the rope a dope for the jakkuine revival

*Clears throat, speaking extremely gravely, precisely, and deliberately*

Jakku and Tatooine are 100%, definitely, different planets.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If you look at this Dennys placemat/coloring sheet you can clearly see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And then a week of discussing Episode IX before everyone gets bored of it and we're straight back to droid slavery chat.