Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Murray exposes him publically, on TV, and with contempt - his language more curtailed by being a family-friendly entertainer than sympathy. True kindness would have been not to show the clip at all.

But Arthur's less upset about that - his initial reaction is just to shame Murray by committing suicide on his show - than he is about what happens once he gets on the show and Murray doesn't provide his unconditional fatherly love, but instead challenges and argues with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ruddiger posted:

What Murray did was no different than what his neighbor did when she exposed him to the horrors of his reality. My question is why are people expecting two different outcomes when Arthur’s clearly established a pattern of reactionary violence when confronted with the truth.

When the “reveal” happened with the neighbor, I was kinda hoping it would just keep going, and we learn that the single mother on the bus also wasn’t real, he doesn’t have a job and has no coworkers, he never confronted Wayne and just yelled at the gate, he really did just lose his sign in the beginning, etc. Just make it completely farcical.

The neighbor didn't directly "attack" Arthur. Her reaction just forced him to recognize his delusion about her. Murray showed Arthur bombing, holding him up as a figure of mockery and disdain. Also, Arthur had enough residual decency to let the neighbor go, by the time of Murray and the social worker at the end, that was gone.

Also, why are you spoiler-marking your own wish list for the movie?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Because Joker’s revelation that some of the movie’s turn of events is mostly made up is still considered a spoiler? Or is it not anymore? People are still spoiling events in the movie are Arthur’s figment of imagination on the previous page, my wish was built upon that spoiler.

“Residual decency” implies that Arthur was shown to be decent in the movie, but the revelation that he’s living in an imaginary world where he’s the “decent” guy means the examples shown were more than likely imaginary as well.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 15, 2019

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I only use spoiler tags because people can and will complain about the dumbest poo poo as "spoilers" on the internet

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Roman posted:

I only use spoiler tags because people can and will complain about the dumbest poo poo as "spoilers" on the internet

But that's an excellent way to weed out the fuckwits.

If a person complains about someone else's disproven speculation, that person is a fuckwit and can be safely ignored.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ruddiger posted:

Because Joker’s revelation that some of the movie’s turn of events is mostly made up is still considered a spoiler? Or is it not anymore? People are still spoiling events in the movie are Arthur’s figment of imagination on the previous page, my wish was built upon that spoiler.

“Residual decency” implies that Arthur was shown to be decent in the movie, but the revelation that he’s living in an imaginary world where he’s the “decent” guy means the examples shown were more than likely imaginary as well.

I think it's reasonably to assume that anything prior to the social worker telling him that's the last meeting and he's losing his meds is real - to some extent. So, the kids taking his sign and beatiing him is real. The guy giving him the gun is real. The mother on the bus is real. I'm pretty sure the stock guys actions were real.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Everyone posted:

But that's an excellent way to weed out the fuckwits.
If a person complains about someone else's disproven speculation, that person is a fuckwit and can be safely ignored.
I got bitched out back in the day for saying Clive Barker's Undying ended with running in circles around a big boss. For an FPS in 2001 that's like saying "Hit Esc to bring up the menu" spoiled the game. Ever since then I use spoiler tags for the dumbest poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Awaiting the incoming James Cameron congratulatory poster.

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1195434628141723649?s=21

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 15, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I knew it was doing well but drat. Are we guaranteed a bad sequel now?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hopefully not. Joaquin doesn't seem like an actor who'd agree to it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

If they do, hopefully it's just another villain's original origin story that's only nebulously connected to this movie.

Riddler would be interesting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1195157137162412032?s=21

Can’t wait to see Joker loving ladyboys in Thailand.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if wb is smart the takeaway should be that there's room for lower budget comic book adjacent movies as standalone character dramas without end-of-the-world stakes or loads of cgi monsters to fight

unfortunately wb is not smart so yeah, bad sequel is far more likely. robert pattinson's the batman will have a post-credits scene of old man arthur breaking out of arkham, potentially recast if joaquin is not on-board

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shazam and Birds of Prey also have lower budgets than typical comic book movies. It worked for Shazam since its worldwide gross would be a flop if it had the budget of a Captain America or Batman movie.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

unfortunately wb is not smart so yeah, bad sequel is far more likely. robert pattinson's the batman will have a post-credits scene of old man arthur breaking out of arkham, potentially recast if joaquin is not on-board
reminder that pattison batman will be set in the 90s. so if they do that it depends on how they set it in a timeline, when the ending of Joker in Arkham actually takes place etc.

they also keep stressing the new batman will be a detective story. True Detective But With Batman could be interesting and still fit with the tone of Joker. just saying it doesn't have to be a disaster if they do tie the movies together.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1196105813242400768

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1196077108428181504

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ruddiger posted:

How did Murray betray him?

Mocked a disabled man trying to sincerely make something of his life on live TV, then wanting him on the show just to exploit him. The film makes it clear that Arthur looks up to and idolizes Murray prior to that.

ruddiger posted:

Murray never mocks Arthur and even tho he showed the clip of Arthur bombing, he never says anything outright nasty or malicious while presenting it

I disagree. He didn't say anything outright malicious or nasty but he did mock him. It reminded me of Trump mocking that disabled reporter at a rally. He didn't threaten the guy or say anything malicious but it was still a thoroughly lovely thing to do to someone.

At the same time however I'm being hypocritical because I laughed when Arthur's coworker was too short to unchain the door to the apartment and leave after Arthur killed his other coworker.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ruddiger posted:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1195157137162412032?s=21

Can’t wait to see Joker loving ladyboys in Thailand.

The guy who made a bazillion dollars off of his lovely Hangover movie and sequels whining about the fact that he can't do crappy R-rated edgelord comedy anymore was already a hilarious joke at his expense but the fact that now Joker made a billion dollars only further proves that the fragile cishet white guy crying about persecution is the most thin-skinned baby in existence.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Go away Guy Mann, nobody on these forums has ever liked you or found you interesting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

The guy who made a bazillion dollars off of his lovely Hangover movie and sequels whining about the fact that he can't do crappy R-rated edgelord comedy anymore was already a hilarious joke at his expense but the fact that now Joker made a billion dollars only further proves that the fragile cishet white guy crying about persecution is the most thin-skinned baby in existence.

Yeah no, looking at your posts here, you’re way more of a thin skinned baby, holy poo poo

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ruddiger posted:

Murray never mocks Arthur and even tho he showed the clip of Arthur bombing, he never says anything outright nasty or malicious while presenting it, and makes a conscious effort to fight the producers into turning Arthur’s presence into a geek show. The only time he becomes aggressive is when he finds out Arthur is a murderer and demands him to own up to the killing rather than let Arthur keep making excuses on why he did it.

Arthur of course is oblivious to this since his whole m.o. throughout the movie is projection and transference, backed up by the parallel juxtapositions Arthur faces but never confronts except through proxies (the street kids and the yuppies, the mother and child on the bus and his neighbor, his father and his mother, etc.)

He showed the clip of Arthur, a nobody, bombing to mock him. And then makes jokes about it. It's like showing the Star Wars kid or any other embarrassing viral video on late night shows. It's to make fun of them. Then it gained traction so he brought him on to make fun of him more. Unfortunately for Murray he didn't know it was the guy who was going to become the Joker.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Amazing that this film broke the worldwide record for comic book movies... do they not include the Avengers in those stats? I really like the movie myself, it's very uncomfortable and you could get rid of all the Wayne stuff and have the movie stronger for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It broke the record for R rated movies as a whole, not just comic book movies. Although it broke that record too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Amazing that this film broke the worldwide record for comic book movies... do they not include the Avengers in those stats? I really like the movie myself, it's very uncomfortable and you could get rid of all the Wayne stuff and have the movie stronger for it.

The focus is on the R-Rating category. Its by no means the most successful comicbook movie overall, but it has done very well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It might also be the most profitable comic book movie ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MSJ posted:

It might also be the most profitable comic book movie ever.

Am I misunderstanding something? Cause Avengers Endgame is sitting at $2,797,800,564.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Am I misunderstanding something? Cause Avengers Endgame is sitting at $2,797,800,564.
it's referring to how much it cost to make compared to its profits. Joker had way less of a budget than movies like Endgame

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Joker was way better than any Marvel movie because it wasn't just another end of world high stakes hero saves the day bullshit like they all are.

Like Ironman 1 and 2 were pretty cool when they came out but gently caress the nonstop barrage of CGI spectacles, cramming too much into the origin film so they can put the character into the avengers etc. became tiring real quick.

Im not saying they all need to be edgy/gritty remakes but some god drat variety in tone would go a long way. Then again pop culture dorks will loving see anything that justifies their existence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Joker's production budget was only $55 million. Endgame's was $360 million.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Laserface posted:

Joker was way better than any Marvel movie because it wasn't just another end of world high stakes hero saves the day bullshit like they all are.

Like Ironman 1 and 2 were pretty cool when they came out but gently caress the nonstop barrage of CGI spectacles, cramming too much into the origin film so they can put the character into the avengers etc. became tiring real quick.

Im not saying they all need to be edgy/gritty remakes but some god drat variety in tone would go a long way. Then again pop culture dorks will loving see anything that justifies their existence.

I'm an MCU fan and I've mostly enjoyed its various films. My favorite of them all is probably Ant-Man and the Wasp. After Avengers: Infinity War it was really nice to see a movie much lighter in touch and smaller in scale (no pun intended). The stakes were high, but they were personal stakes. If Ghost doesn't get cured, she'll die. If Scott gets caught, he goes to jail and misses his daughter's life. If Hope and Hank can't rescue Janet, she'll die and they'll be sad. If Walter Goggins gets the lab, it's a bad outcome for the people above, but not really for anyone else (eventual Time Heist aside). There was a restful lack of "Oh no! If Badguyman quantrafraggles the Glorkfart Field it will completely immanentize the eschaton and every reality that ever was or might have been will poop itself to death forever!"

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that was a lot of really good ideas and some great acting in a boring as gently caress movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Joker's production budget was only $55 million. Endgame's was $360 million.

That's fair! That is a pretty significant difference. I like hearing about low budget films like this becoming successfully profitable.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

55 million isn't exactly low budget

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much money would Endgame need to make in a theater re-re-release in order to be number 1 again

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Terror Sweat posted:

These days a major Hollywood movie being made for 55m is pretty low budget.

The Adam Sandler "Jack and Jill" movie was made for 80 million, and that was years ago.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Terror Sweat posted:

Low budget indies are less than a million, and then they get lumped into tiers with hundreds of millions being "majors"..so yeah, the idea of 55 million being low budget pretty much means "for a comic book movie"..
Aside from the big crowd scenes with all the extras..this didn't look like a 50 mil movie at all..I wonder what the budget went to? Does that include marketing? Was it director and actor fees? I know they shot in NYC, but I've seen indies in the 2-3 mil range that look very similar aesthetically soooo..what?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

hollywood budgets and revenue are distorted to help facilitate crime, they're not to be taken seriously.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Low budget for a current-era comic book movie is more like ~$100 million. Shazam was a low budget comic book movie, relatively speaking. Joker was insanely low budget.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Low budget for a current-era comic book movie is more like ~$100 million. Shazam was a low budget comic book movie, relatively speaking. Joker was insanely low budget.

I think Joker would have worked better for me if it had been straight up set in New York City in 1981 during the garbage strike with Arthur as a guy into Batman whose mental illness was the Joker "talking" to him. Of course it probably wouldn't have made a billion dollars that way, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

upgunned shitpost posted:

hollywood budgets and revenue are distorted to help facilitate crime, they're not to be taken seriously.

RLM did a great video about it for their Jack and Jill review where they lay out how it's basically a scam. Not saying Joker is, but it's an interesting video explaining how grift happens in movie making.