Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In that same vein, I recommend Thomas Frank's last three books for contemporary history and commentary. Narrated by the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was downloading books to my new phone, and was reminded that Jim Butcher never followed up on The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires - Book 1. :sigh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

I was downloading books to my new phone, and was reminded that Jim Butcher never followed up on The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires - Book 1. :sigh:

It's probably on the back burner while he worked on Peace Talks which I think is done finally?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, cool. Was the bigfoot one any good?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, cool. Was the bigfoot one any good?

That I can't tell you. I never read or listened to those

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Audible has a member sale going. The first Hunger Games book with the new narrator is on sale and the reviews are full of people who bought it again just for that, and I might do the same thing. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have a middle aged woman be the inner monologue of a teenage girl should get their rear end kicked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Never played a book at a higher speed, but adding 25% to Yahtzee's Mogworld makes it listenable now.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I noticed a week ago that I can buy books directly through the IOS Audible app now. Anyone know if it was Apple or Amazon caved or if it’s a work around the Apple tax (can only buy with credits, etc)?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Koryk posted:

I noticed a week ago that I can buy books directly through the IOS Audible app now. Anyone know if it was Apple or Amazon caved or if it’s a work around the Apple tax (can only buy with credits, etc)?

IDK, but I did notice that now that Apple sells audiobooks through the Books app, they're about half the price of Audible's regular cost.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I saw an audio book on bandcamp of all places for a trashy novel called Tamer: King of Dinosaurs and figured why not. The narration is pretty good at least. I listen to it during my commute.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Koryk posted:

They did a whole update about it. I think enough people complained loudly about it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got a 40% off 3 month deal via email wrt the iOS stuff. Gonna jump into some Warhammer 40k.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I enthusiastically recommend Edward Snowden’s new memoir Permanent Record. It’s gripping and well written and performed. I purposefully refrained from forming a personal opinion of the guy when everyone that was talking about him had one agenda or another, and now, listening to his side of the story I think he’s a real patriot, which is not something I always consider to be a compliment, but in this is very much intended to be. I only hope that if I am ever in that kind situation I’ll have the guts to act the same way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingShiro posted:

Got a 40% off 3 month deal via email wrt the iOS stuff. Gonna jump into some Warhammer 40k.

There was/is a shitload on Humble Bundle for 40k right now

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m finishing It by Stephen King and because of Mandalorian and the new Star Wars game I’m interested to know if there are any worthwhile Star Wars audible books. I have Thrawn but haven’t started it yet. Is that a good place to start?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

loudog999 posted:

I’m finishing It by Stephen King and because of Mandalorian and the new Star Wars game I’m interested to know if there are any worthwhile Star Wars audible books. I have Thrawn but haven’t started it yet. Is that a good place to start?

Most of the SW audiobooks are well produced, and most are well narrated. It's nearly impossible to answer your "where to start" question though, as the universe of books is so large. You should probably decide if you want to start with the classic era stuff, Legends, Clone Wars era, or The Old Republic.

If you do the TOR books, never under any circumstance read/listen to "Red Harvest". FFS, it's like terrible fanfic with zombie tauntauns and zombie living trees.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They're cheesy but I have a fond bit of nostalgia for the Star Wars audio dramas produced in the 90s

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Len posted:

They're cheesy but I have a fond bit of nostalgia for the Star Wars audio dramas produced in the 90s

Those are great. I used to have them on cassette.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is a reason why Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy from 1992 almost single-handedly revitalized the entire franchise.

It has some weird bits, but is definitely excellent pulp scifi. It's sad that Disney of course axed the entire canon that Zahn helped create, as I personally think it was far more interesting than Disney's own post Return of the Jedi movies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

XBenedict posted:

I listened to Tales of the Jedi on cassette from my library back in the day. Most of them were abridged though, but the short story anthology format of Tales was well suited to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

XBenedict posted:

I still busy out some mp3s of the Dark Empire trilogy. I keep telling myself I'll read the comic one of these days but I never have.

There was one based on the books that go between games in the Jedi Knight videogame series that was pretty decent too. Confusing because I've only played part of Jedi Outcast and none of the rest

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I read the original Thrawn trilogy years ago and really liked it so I decided to start with the newer Thrawn novel. Listened to the first few minutes of it and enjoyed it so far. Can’t wait to finish It and start this one.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
are there any decent post-apocalypse books on audible? all they have looks like trash.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

are there any decent post-apocalypse books on audible? all they have looks like trash.

I enjoyed The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy enough. It leans a bit more on sci fi/fantasy than traditional post-apocalyspe, but it is definitely about people surviving in a ruined America.

If you want apocalyptia without any monsters or mutants and just people getting by, I also listened to The Last Tribe by Brad Manuel. Audible recommended to me likely based on having had just read The Dead Lands, but this basically about a couple kids trying to figure out how to survive a winter in New Hampshire (it was the location that sold me on it since I'm a NH native and I was missing home). Not going to give it my unabashed recommendation, but it is worth a look if you're trying to scratch the post-apoc itch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Any particular flavor? There's Sub genres now

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mister Facetious posted:

Any particular flavor? There's Sub genres now

not really, i just re-read Alas Babylon and was in the mood for some apocalypses

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Len posted:

If anyone is interested, these are available on this guy's YouTube channel. I'm sure you can buy them somewhere, because I bought them all during a Humble Star Wars event a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-29uKdckL4

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

not really, i just re-read Alas Babylon and was in the mood for some apocalypses

Here's some of what I've got:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Robot-Ge...Item_B07R8WXKTP
Six books. I've only read the first one so far.

https://www.audible.com/pd/To-Beat-...c5_lProduct_1_1
Haven't read past the first book. His third Shadowmaster novel annoyed me so much I didn't want to keep reading him, but I really liked this one.

https://www.audible.com/series/Reck...3_lSeries_1_2_1
Bought all three, still haven't finished the last one yet. Orson Scott Card, so you've been warned, but I always like his characters, and the narrator sounds like Fry from Futurama.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 19, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr.
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Wool by Hugh Howey - Not everyone likes it, but I do. (The Omnibus Edition narration is better, imo)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got a road trip coming up and I'm looking for recommendations for either
non-fiction
short stories
comedy
or sci fi

Anything particularly good out there?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't been to a library in a hot minute but Atlas Shrugged is on 50 cds. How many do you think the John Galt speech takes up by itself?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I guess it's kind of old now but Stephen King's The Stand?

Except, listening to it, I don 't like the version on Audible. Narrator is not to my taste.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

I haven't been to a library in a hot minute but Atlas Shrugged is on 50 cds. How many do you think the John Galt speech takes up by itself?

I only used one novel to calculate, but rudnicki averages 30 paperback pages per hour, and a cd is roughly 60-75 minutes per.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

jeeves posted:

There is a reason why Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy from 1992 almost single-handedly revitalized the entire franchise.

It has some weird bits, but is definitely excellent pulp scifi. It's sad that Disney of course axed the entire canon that Zahn helped create, as I personally think it was far more interesting than Disney's own post Return of the Jedi movies.

Oh 100% agreed. I liked the Thrawn trilogy so much I kept reading subsequent books hoping they’d reach the same heights. Children of the Jedi finally made me stop.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess it's kind of old now but Stephen King's The Stand?

Except, listening to it, I don 't like the version on Audible. Narrator is not to my taste.

I didn’t like the narrator at first either but I gave him a chance and he grew on me. Fun fact about him. The whole time I’m listening I’m thinking he sounds really familiar and I couldn’t figure from where... then I finally realized - he also narrated The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Incidentally I recommend that audiobook too. It’s very well done but I don’t think I could’ve got through the text version. It’s ponderously long.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha as someone who is going through that series now, that narrator owns. That is a great tome, especially if you were valuing hours per dollar for some hilariously long road trips coming up.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Lordshmee posted:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Incidentally I recommend that audiobook too. It’s very well done but I don’t think I could’ve got through the text version. It’s ponderously long.

Grover Gardner does mostly non-fiction, history in particular, so his fiction stuff can seem a little dry. Some notes about the Shirer book:

1. I can't believe it's only 57 hours. I've read that book a few times, and that seems VERY generous.
2. If you like it, one of Shirer's other books, "The Nightmare Years", which is also thoroughly excellent, releases in audio form after the first of the year. It's shorter...not short, just shorter.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Vim Fuego posted:

non-fiction
short stories
comedy
or sci fi

I listened to John Hodgman's "Vacationland" over a portion of a long roadtrip and it made those 6 hours quite bearable. He also just released "Medallion Status," which I also enjoyed. That ticks three of the four boxes lol

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

non-fiction
short stories
comedy
or sci fi

Anything and Everything by David Sedaris. Seriously...all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Anything and Everything by David Sedaris. Seriously...all of it.

Yeah, that too. My library lends audiobooks (yours probably does too!) through an app and I was able to borrow "The Ultimate David Sedaris Box Set" and thoroughly enjoyed it. The collection includes Naked, Holidays on Ice, Barrel Fever and Other Stories and Me Talk Pretty One Day.

That's the one to track down imo if you can. There's a ton of content