Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
for a hell of a trip check the people who are arguing that killing jawas is okay and good but how dare the neimodians have an accent lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jawas are goons that's why it's ok to gun them down en masse

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fsmhunk posted:

Oh, word?

Most definitely. Lucas also created the podracing guy from Ep. 1, so this shouldn't be surprising.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Jawa's are pretty transparently the guys who sell you TVs and Stereos out of the back of their space-van and when pressed claim it fell off the back of a space-truck.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Two mistakes :

1. Assuming “Jawa” isn’t a slur that they’re all using.

2. Not gassing this thread.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched ANH and the usage of "sand people" sounds racist as hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sheev Palpatine doesn't care about sand people

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Especially when you keep in mind Tattoine is Lawrence of Arabia's Arabia.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's fine that the mandorian killed those jawas because it's not like anyone's ever really gone. It's fine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The end of ROTJ but there’s like fifty force ghost “Sand People”.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s been established that it’s ok to disintegrate Jawa people, because those nazis did it at the start of the A New Hope.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"ootini" is the jawa equivalent of calling a white person a cracker

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
IIRC, Jawas are speaking Zulu.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, Jawas are speaking Zulu.
In the same vein I learned recently that ewok language is based on Kalmyk :eng101:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Jawas rule, tied with ewoks for best star wars alien.

Wookies are a distant third, sorry but you know it's true

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Best star wars alien is the clarinet player

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
You guys are huge nerds for arguing a out the morality of killing aliens in a fictional wild west universe. I watched it and I don't even see how it was portrayed as comedy in your eyes it didn't seem like comedy to me and the classic innocent character (baby Yoda) was visibly disturbed by it.

You guys are so embarrassing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blood Boils posted:

None of those are porgs.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Was it moral for Chewbacca to eat those porgs?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pospysyl posted:

I'm not sure morality can be applied to wookies. Do we argue whether it's moral when a lion eats a tourist?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

for a hell of a trip check the people who are arguing that killing jawas is okay and good but how dare the neimodians have an accent lmao

Exactly! The same people who acted like Jar Jar was the most shockingly racist character ever are perfectly fine with Finn. But Finn is constantly afraid, stumbling around, the butt of jokes. He’s the only main character to be the object of sight gags that make him look foolish. When he takes the initiative, he either blunders into survival or is bailed out by someone else. He has no real arc despite having a background that should be full of pathos and significance.

But Jar Jar talks funny so TPM is the movie that’s scrutinized. Which proves the point that what people object to in TPM is not racism but the depiction of difference which isn’t immediately assimilated to the liberal multiculturalism of the republic.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

nemesis_hub posted:

Exactly! The same people who acted like Jar Jar was the most shockingly racist character ever are perfectly fine with Finn. But Finn is constantly afraid, stumbling around, the butt of jokes. He’s the only main character to be the object of sight gags that make him look foolish. When he takes the initiative, he either blunders into survival or is bailed out by someone else. He has no real arc despite having a background that should be full of pathos and significance.

But Jar Jar talks funny so TPM is the movie that’s scrutinized. Which proves the point that what people object to in TPM is not racism but the depiction of difference which isn’t immediately assimilated to the liberal multiculturalism of the republic.

It's even better because Boyega himself has said he was sick of Finn being "a comedic goofy dude who never gets stuff done."

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

boyfriend? cute boyfriend??

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Truly, Poe’s boyfriend deserves better.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Finn's character is especially weird because he's acting like a goofy dude even though he's supposed to be a soldier raised from a baby that somehow doesn't even have a proper name (even the clone troopers had nicknames). He was also apparently raised to be a janitor until being transfered to murder duty, which also makes very little sense.

His character would make a lot more sense if he was a recruit from some poor planet convinced to enlist by propaganda who then went AWOL because he realized he had been duped. Nothing about his character points out to him being raised to be a nameless soldier.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

pospysyl posted:

I think we can all enjoy some nice porg and beans. However it is NOT ethical to disintegrate porgs, which makes the feeling of porg poaching all the more thrilling.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Captain Jesus posted:

Finn's character is especially weird because he's acting like a goofy dude even though he's supposed to be a soldier raised from a baby that somehow doesn't even have a proper name (even the clone troopers had nicknames). He was also apparently raised to be a janitor until being transfered to murder duty, which also makes very little sense.

His character would make a lot more sense if he was a recruit from some poor planet convinced to enlist by propaganda who then went AWOL because he realized he had been duped. Nothing about his character points out to him being raised to be a nameless soldier.

Finn makes sense as the schlubby protagonist in a dystopian novel, one who just always budges against the strictness of the totalitarian regime. Thing is, the movies do a loving awful job at establishing what the First Order is, and Finn is the only real source of insight we get. The impression then is that this totalitarian regime is built on the schlubby shoulders of people like Finn, or screaming idiots like Hux.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All along you had villains that were as likable or moreso than the heroes. The first order is pathetic, kylo is weak (compared to what we're used to) and reckless, and spineless joe whatever his name is, the non-force powered general (ah, its hux), what an absolute disgrace compared to Tarkin. Peter Cushing's shoes are no small ones to fill, but I heard a rumor prior to the first ST movie coming out that Hugo Weaving was being considered for a role. Why couldn't that have come to pass? Instead we get this sniveling dingbat who is truly irredeemable.

I'm concerned for how this ultra super big end of the universe battle thats seemingly being teased in the new poster and trailer is gonna play out. Thank god its only one month left to wait.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's been a while since I've seen TFA but I remember Hux being pretty competent, he was shown to be on equal authority to Kylo and even had the power to reign in some of his bullshit. Then TLJ turned him into a MadTV character for.... reasons?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

codo27 posted:

All along you had villains that were as likable or moreso than the heroes. The first order is pathetic, kylo is weak (compared to what we're used to) and reckless, and spineless joe whatever his name is, the non-force powered general (ah, its hux), what an absolute disgrace compared to Tarkin. Peter Cushing's shoes are no small ones to fill, but I heard a rumor prior to the first ST movie coming out that Hugo Weaving was being considered for a role. Why couldn't that have come to pass? Instead we get this sniveling dingbat who is truly irredeemable.

I'm concerned for how this ultra super big end of the universe battle thats seemingly being teased in the new poster and trailer is gonna play out. Thank god its only one month left to wait.

CharlestonJew posted:

It's been a while since I've seen TFA but I remember Hux being pretty competent, he was shown to be on equal authority to Kylo and even had the power to reign in some of his bullshit. Then TLJ turned him into a MadTV character for.... reasons?

Yeah I actually liked Hux and Kylo in TFA. Kylo was interesting visually too with how he's introduced. Right from the get he's not as physically imposing but also very very powerful with the force because someone actually gets the drop on him but he freezes the blaster bolt in mid-air and then has a conversation while it's there. And in the live action movies at least that's definitely impressive. So like he's like a lanky super powerful force using person that's still desperate to prove himself and brute force everything which is how he's always overcome throughout it. It made him come off as unpredictable and potentially very dangerous.

Then TLJ, I'm in the camp that enjoys TLJ quite a bit but they really did blow it with the writing in general. The basic plot itself was fine just that script was insanely all over the place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hux is not a well-conceived character. Apparently he is Snoke's second-in-command and mouthpiece, and didn't establish his own base of support, so Kylo could just kill Snoke and step into his role. His ability to rein in Kylo seemed contingent on tattling to Daddy.

He doesn't really do much besides delivering ludicrously bad exposition.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You would think hux would have some business since he's about to find out that snoke isn't really dead, but lol no there's just a new imperial officer guy character for some reason who will probably mainly just do what hux was doing already

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Auralnauts music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_opp0dnfoI

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

He doesn't really do much besides delivering ludicrously bad exposition.

This basically describes every character in the ST and also all of the creative forces behind it.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm pretty sure the only things Hux does in TFA are say "activate auxiliary cannons" and "fire" and the deliver a speech later on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just watched Jedi on D+ and it had been so long since I saw the 'special edition' version that I was amazed that they finally got rid of the huge matt lines around the Rancor.

They've been gone since 2004

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jawa talk: screw the Jawas. Putting aside the weird racial parallels people are putting on that scene this is a Western and supposed to be a lawless Wild West like world/ galaxy right? Well what do you think happened to armed cattle rustlers etc in the Wild West when they came and stole property? They were shot. In Westerns do we expect Clint Eastwood (Man With No Name) to not shoot the fleeing man who decides to steal his horse? Of course he will, because he's an anti hero that might save the girl and do the odd good deed now and again but ultimately he's not a good person. The world the Mandalorian lives in isn't a nice one and he shouldn't have to be a morally right figure all of the time, hell from the cold open we know this, if he was a good guy he wouldn't be a drat Bounty Hunter mercilessly collecting for corporations/ the criminal underworld those people who can't afford to pay their debts etc.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Captain Jesus posted:

Yeah, he'd be like one of the Unsullied. It's bullshit that they introduced this plot premise and decided to just totally ignore it immediately.

Not to mention the ethical problem of making stormtroopers into nameless child soldiers. You can't keep pretending the enemies are true-believer space Nazis when they're explicitly child-slaves forced into combat. Finn's entire plot should've been about helping other stormtroopers defect.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

On further reflection I've just seen this shocking video and Jawas do in fact represent minorities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE&t=161s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Xealot posted:

Finn's entire plot should've been about helping other stormtroopers defect.

There was a scene cut for time in Last Jedi that did this. A bunch of stormtroopers line up with Phasma to kill Finn. He tells them that she got all their friends killed on SKB by lowering the shields, and that they should abandon the First Order for a better life where they're valued. They lower their weapons and she executes them all.

I think clips are floating around YouTube and I might have embellished a little but that's essentially it.