Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DildenAnders posted:

On what basis? I think the argument that the combat gets a bit stale is pretty valid but it's really not a combat based game. It's a very thickly-veiled puzzle game, with amazing atmosphere, sound design, and varied environments. I do think that if more than 1 enemy attacked when you're in Z-targeting it would make combat a LOT more tense and interesting.
While I'm in "Unpopular Video Game Opinions" I'll sit there and say Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team are the best pokemon games, though the DS ones are close. Just much better story driven games despite the simplified mechanics and procedural generation.

It was just a few pages back, most people seemed to agree that it was dull with lots of waiting and unfun and un-interactive combat. Animations are slow as hell, pushing blocks is torture and there's just a lot of waiting and really obvious puzzles that all feel the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Those are all valid complaints.

But, as a kid in the 90's, when it came out it was THE BEST poo poo EVER. It's like dunking on FF7. Yes, it's trash in hindsight but it was visionary at the time. There where a lot of bad games back then, a lot, and no easy way to filter through them like there is nowadays.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

Those are all valid complaints.

But, as a kid in the 90's, when it came out it was THE BEST poo poo EVER. It's like dunking on FF7. Yes, it's trash in hindsight but it was visionary at the time. There where a lot of bad games back then, a lot, and no easy way to filter through them like there is nowadays.

Yeah at first it was, I mean the effect of seeing games in 3D was really powerful, I was stupefied by Mario 64. I thought Ocarina was cool, seeing all the characters actual faces and poo poo, but the game did irk me after a while even at the time. I remember going all "gently caress, I have to do another dungeon" and just wanting to see the story, that's not the mark of a good game. The dungeons really are the worst.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm tired of MOBA, Military and BR styled FPS games and pine for the day a popular arena style FPS will be in the spotlight again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The best 00s game that has NOT aged well is Messiah

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wind Waker wasn't much better, that leaf sucked rear end, you had to do a lot of imprecise wonky jumps and wait for the stupid grappling hook animation to finish. At least the enemies were mostly a bit better though

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah at first it was, I mean the effect of seeing games in 3D was really powerful, I was stupefied by Mario 64. I thought Ocarina was cool, seeing all the characters actual faces and poo poo, but the game did irk me after a while even at the time. I remember going all "gently caress, I have to do another dungeon" and just wanting to see the story, that's not the mark of a good game. The dungeons really are the worst.

You problem with zelda is too much dungeon and not enough story? Eeeuuuugh.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Olaf The Stout posted:

You problem with zelda is too much dungeon and not enough story? Eeeuuuugh.

Not generally, I like the dungeons in the 2D games, they're just that horrible in the 3D ones and would prefer literally any other part of the game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Kuros posted:

I'm tired of MOBA, Military and BR styled FPS games and pine for the day a popular arena style FPS will be in the spotlight again.

I'm tired of them too but I kinda love watching idiot companies suicide themselves trying to beat League of Legends or Fortnite.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Shibawanko posted:

The Black Mesa remake is awful though.

It is? I thought it was just a graphical overhaul. It looked pretty neat; what did you find awful about it?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

On what basis? I think the argument that the combat gets a bit stale is pretty valid but it's really not a combat based game. It's a very thickly-veiled puzzle game, with amazing atmosphere, sound design, and varied environments. I do think that if more than 1 enemy attacked when you're in Z-targeting it would make combat a LOT more tense and interesting.
While I'm in "Unpopular Video Game Opinions" I'll sit there and say Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team are the best pokemon games, though the DS ones are close. Just much better story driven games despite the simplified mechanics and procedural generation.

Because playing RPGs released on PC made anything on N64 feel extraordinarily limited, that's why there isn't exactly a large list of N64 RPGs to compare it to. If you remove the atmosphere what are you left with? Super awesome good RPG "Quest 64"?

Yes, the atmosphere was very enticing but the characters/story are not particularly interesting, the combat isn't good, nor are the puzzles any different or better than what was in other games at the time.

Games like Might and Magic, Fallout, and Planescape Torment were just so much more rewarding to me at the time, and to this day.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kuros posted:

At least BR styled games seem to be on their way out. Military FPS games will never, ever go away (it's the bread and butter of the genre for obvious reasons) and I don't know what a MOBA FPS game is because I'm a 30-something boomer.

Arena-style FPS games have actually trickled out over the years but if Quake Champions didn't catch fire, good luck to anything else.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Downloaded Rage 2 as part of Gamepass Ultimate. It's actually...quite disappointing. By far, the most annoying thing is the aiming lag. I don't understand why it feels so off, when Doom 2016 was so bang on.

The aim lag even happens on my tiny god PC, so it's not framerate bound; it seems like a problem with the game.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

just got overwatch for the switch

it seems fine

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Shibawanko posted:

Not generally, I like the dungeons in the 2D games, they're just that horrible in the 3D ones and would prefer literally any other part of the game.

Maybe if you don't like the entire point of the game they're not for you?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Olaf The Stout posted:

Maybe if you don't like the entire point of the game they're not for you?

They dont dislike dungeons. They're saying the 3d dungeons are so bad it makes the plot look good in comparison.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Floodixor posted:

It is? I thought it was just a graphical overhaul. It looked pretty neat; what did you find awful about it?

There's a few things but the worst parts are that they made the tentacle boss AI worse, and they removed the ichtyosaur's roar. Those were the best parts of the game and they hosed up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You see the ichtyosaur but it's just the lovely version from HL2 and he doesn't roar in that scary way and it's just a big slow fish and you can shoot it easily from the edge of the pool before you even have to get into the water

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

PinheadSlim posted:

Because playing RPGs released on PC made anything on N64 feel extraordinarily limited, that's why there isn't exactly a large list of N64 RPGs to compare it to. If you remove the atmosphere what are you left with? Super awesome good RPG "Quest 64"?

Yes, the atmosphere was very enticing but the characters/story are not particularly interesting, the combat isn't good, nor are the puzzles any different or better than what was in other games at the time.

Games like Might and Magic, Fallout, and Planescape Torment were just so much more rewarding to me at the time, and to this day.

See Ocarina of Time isn't really an RPG in the same vein of the original Fallout. Yeah it's an open-world, quest based adventure game, but the similarities pretty much end there. Zelda is a third person, real-time combat puzzle game with no explicit mention of numbers and set in a fantasy world, while Fallout is top-down, turn based, and very explicitly about the numerical aspect of things (since it's pretty much a tabletop RPG on the computer.) It's obviously a preference but I've found the original Fallout (and 2) somewhat limited and inaccessible while I'm replaying OoT for the third time and enjoying it more than ever. But again I think a direct comparison can't really be made, they are very different games trying (and succeeding) at very different things.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OOT not an rpg at all, it's an action adventure game. it shares many stylistic, structural and interface elements with rpgs, but you're not making any meaningful choices for Link, you're playing exactly the same Link as everyone else who will ever play the game

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kaincypher posted:

Pretty much all of this, but especially the backtracking. The level design is crazy and the map doesn't really do you any favors. Dark Souls was smart and had the starting area be a hub, and each section you unlock leads back to the starting point. Plus it had fast travel.

After finishing it, I'd have to say they also didn't understand what makes Metroidvanias fun or engaging. It's basically "yep, game done, please come again" when you think "okay, now it could get interesting with these four things I have now to try out on other maps"

I have no idea what's going on at EA in regard to the Star Wars license, but Jedi: Fallen Order feels like a game pitch which was realized within the shortest time possible which then got Star Wars slapped on. Like "hey, why not combine metroid: prime with third person dark souls elements, and also unchartered?". It's not a bad idea...nothing new, but ripping off Metroidvanias and Soulsborne is basically it's own genre nowadays. I never played any Assassin's Creeds, so I could very well be that those games are ripped off by Fallen Order's traversal, I have no idea.

The thing is that nothig about this game needs the Star Wars license. Nothing. They don't even use it very well. It feels slapped on. The game feels rushed, all the mechanics are clunky. If you let it sit in menu on a PS4 Pro for more than an hour you have to restart the whole thing because it seems to drown in it's own memory holes (object streaming is completely broken after about an hour or two when the game is sitting there).

It feels like a game pitch rushed to market to keep the Star Wars license. It ain't really bad...and as much as I sometimes don't want to give credit to Jim Sterling....but it's....okay I guess...because it's not filled with EA evil...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What do the puzzles in OOT consist of though? It's mostly shooting arrows at eyeballs and pushing blocks and maybe doing a tedious deku stick run or burning a web.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

What do the puzzles in OOT consist of though? It's mostly shooting arrows at eyeballs and pushing blocks and maybe doing a tedious deku stick run or burning a web.

Playing tunes on an Ocarina

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

tuo posted:

After finishing it, I'd have to say they also didn't understand what makes Metroidvanias fun or engaging. It's basically "yep, game done, please come again" when you think "okay, now it could get interesting with these four things I have now to try out on other maps"

I have no idea what's going on at EA in regard to the Star Wars license, but Jedi: Fallen Order feels like a game pitch which was realized within the shortest time possible which then got Star Wars slapped on. Like "hey, why not combine metroid: prime with third person dark souls elements, and also unchartered?". It's not a bad idea...nothing new, but ripping off Metroidvanias and Soulsborne is basically it's own genre nowadays. I never played any Assassin's Creeds, so I could very well be that those games are ripped off by Fallen Order's traversal, I have no idea.

The thing is that nothig about this game needs the Star Wars license. Nothing. They don't even use it very well. It feels slapped on. The game feels rushed, all the mechanics are clunky. If you let it sit in menu on a PS4 Pro for more than an hour you have to restart the whole thing because it seems to drown in it's own memory holes (object streaming is completely broken after about an hour or two when the game is sitting there).

It feels like a game pitch rushed to market to keep the Star Wars license. It ain't really bad...and as much as I sometimes don't want to give credit to Jim Sterling....but it's....okay I guess...because it's not filled with EA evil...

Everything star wars related that has been produced by Disney has been rushed and hollow. They crunched some numbers for how much the franchise would make and seem content with pumping out media quickly on a consistent pace.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The best 00s game that has NOT aged well is Messiah

Is it even possible to get that running ok on PC's these days? Pretty sure it was made specifically for a certain range of Voodoo cards and ran like dogshit on anything else. It's one of the first games I got from GOG and it was really disappointing to see how stuttery it ran.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Downloaded Rage 2 as part of Gamepass Ultimate. It's actually...quite disappointing. By far, the most annoying thing is the aiming lag. I don't understand why it feels so off, when Doom 2016 was so bang on.

The aim lag even happens on my tiny god PC, so it's not framerate bound; it seems like a problem with the game.

At least it's better than the lovely mega textures in the first one. Whipping around 180 degrees made everything a blurry mess as textures had to be loaded in. It was so bad John Carmack admitted they did it like that because of consoles and apologised.
Textures on small poo poo like soda cans were also laughably bad.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Shibawanko posted:

There's a few things but the worst parts are that they made the tentacle boss AI worse, and they removed the ichtyosaur's roar. Those were the best parts of the game and they hosed up.

Well alright but there's a ton of pretty rad game built around those moments though I agree that those changes you mentioned don't sound so hot. Maybe you're being too critical and should relax and be a little more forgiving for the dev's sleepless nights and unpaid labor making this remake, who did it all, selflessly, for YOU. :mad:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

man i am really having a total blast with cod:mw's multiplayer

also to whoever said several pages ago that cod's guns sound tinny and weak, idk how it's been for the last few but the sound design on mw is really good if you set it up right. when you first boot the game up there are a bunch of sound mix options including a description, what type of audio setup it's ostensibly meant for, and an actual waveform graph. you can make poo poo really loud and resonant and boomy, it's great

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lodin posted:

At least it's better than the lovely mega textures in the first one. Whipping around 180 degrees made everything a blurry mess as textures had to be loaded in. It was so bad John Carmack admitted they did it like that because of consoles and apologised.
Textures on small poo poo like soda cans were also laughably bad.

Still had one of the best AI pathfinding ever (the way the enemies could swarm you and travel over nearly everything in a believable way was awesome), and pretty good gunplay. Sadly, all of that was hidden behind super boring story and kinda-open world stuff. The actual gunplay in Rage 1 was really good.

The mega textures worked pretty well from far way, but as you said broke on anything indoors. I remember Carmack mentioning a special PC mode which would fix the major problems, but IIRC it was never released?

It's also funny that the mega-texture thing looked way better in Quake Wars, when it was implemented into an older id Tech engine which used the Quake 4 tech for indoors, and the "new" mega-textures for outdoors.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Floodixor posted:

Well alright but there's a ton of pretty rad game built around those moments though I agree that those changes you mentioned don't sound so hot. Maybe you're being too critical and should relax and be a little more forgiving for the dev's sleepless nights and unpaid labor making this remake, who did it all, selflessly, for YOU. :mad:

That's fine but Half Life already exists as a good game so if you do a remake at least make it marginally better. It has better graphics if you like the look of the source engine but that's really the only improvement, all the rest kind of sucks...

e: with the tentacle boss I remember there was some bullshit with the grenades. In the original you could distract the monster by throwing a grenade somewhere else so it'd be attracted by the sound, but in Black Mesa it still goes for you, probably because you were the one using the weapon so it thinks the sound came from your position. It's a huge problem because there's no way to completely noiselessly dismount stairs, so it will always try to smash you. In the original you could distract it so you could sneak off the stairs to a safe spot but in the remake really your only option is to just hop off the stairs and run for the door, there's no real tension.

In HL the tentacle monster felt like a real animal, it felt like you were dealing with this creature driven by instinct and you had to deduce that instinct. Same with the ichtys, I'd almost jump out of my chair whenever I heard that noise or saw the loving thing's back slide out of the water for a moment. None of that is in Black Mesa.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 20, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Rage got a lot of flack for its texture pop-in, but it never really bothered me. Yes I occasionally saw it, which probably means its not doing well enough, but it was really a small thing. Maybe because I played it after the fact and my hardware was seemingly enough to play it maxed out? Dno.

I'm still a huge Rage apologist, it was such a good game in its fundamentals (gunplay, progression, and bizarrely, ingame economy) and then was shipped literally incomplete.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edit : I spent this post arguing about OoT but I'd rather talk about my latest possibly unpopular opinion : The overrated N64.

I got one on release and loved several games for it, but would it have been so bad for Nintendo to just go the way that Sega did and just make games on other peoples consoles? Would games improve because the PS1 was easier to make games for? What about having dual analog support for Perfect Dark/Goldeneye/Turok? Tony Hawk games were certainly better on the PS1.

I'm sure they would have made a ton less money, but if that just means that we don't get dozens and dozens of Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong games then lol win win.

I think I'm just starting to realize why the console flopped in Japan. I mean the Sega Saturn outsold it.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 20, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lodin posted:

Is it even possible to get that running ok on PC's these days? Pretty sure it was made specifically for a certain range of Voodoo cards and ran like dogshit on anything else. It's one of the first games I got from GOG and it was really disappointing to see how stuttery it ran.

I had some sort of Voodoo card back then and it was still rear end. Using the speargun? thing was rad though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

Edit : I spent this post arguing about OoT but I'd rather talk about my latest possibly unpopular opinion : The overrated N64.

I got one on release and loved several games for it, but would it have been so bad for Nintendo to just go the way that Sega did and just make games on other peoples consoles? Would games improve because the PS1 was easier to make games for? What about having dual analog support for Perfect Dark/Goldeneye/Turok? I'm sure they would have made a ton less money, but if that just means that we don't get dozens and dozens of Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong games then lol win win

I think I'm just starting to realize why the console flopped in Japan. I mean the Sega Saturn outsold it.

The Sega Saturn was a much better console than the N64, I still have fun with my Saturn today and the games on it don't feel the least bit dated for the most part.

I don't know why exactly but the N64 just bothers me, everything about it has that Rare aesthetic, down to the crappy translucent green plastic, the blurry 2D visuals overlaid over 3D, the way every game tried to up the ante in the wrong way and ended up looking ugly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it is really astounding how hideous 99.99999% of n64 games are

literally the only exception i can think of offhand is the original smash bros

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

The Sega Saturn was a much better console than the N64, I still have fun with my Saturn today and the games on it don't feel the least bit dated for the most part.

I don't know why exactly but the N64 just bothers me, everything about it has that Rare aesthetic, down to the crappy translucent green plastic, the blurry 2D visuals overlaid over 3D, the way every game tried to up the ante in the wrong way and ended up looking ugly.

I mean come on, you can’t say that the games don’t even look the least bit dated if you have at least one working eyeball

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

literally the only exception i can think of offhand is the original smash bros

Maybe because it's the one where the camera is the furthest from the action?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Serephina posted:

Rage got a lot of flack for its texture pop-in, but it never really bothered me. Yes I occasionally saw it, which probably means its not doing well enough, but it was really a small thing. Maybe because I played it after the fact and my hardware was seemingly enough to play it maxed out? Dno.

I'm still a huge Rage apologist, it was such a good game in its fundamentals (gunplay, progression, and bizarrely, ingame economy) and then was shipped literally incomplete.

The thing is they were iffy in terms of pop-in, but when they worked they looked absolutely gorgeous. That game came out in 2010 and somehow still looks better than Rage 2.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Even the "underrated" games on the N64, the supposed hidden gems, are not very good. Mischief Makers is cute but it's really just okay as a game. It just stands out because it's a decent game on the N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The N64 aged poorly but lol at "Saturn games don't feel dated"