Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
"I'll buy tires next week. Do you sell used tires?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's a killer on the road
His tread is squirmin' like a toad
Take a long holiday
Let your children play
If you give this tire a ride
Sweet family will die
Killer on the road

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shake Wheels With Danger

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deteriorata posted:

Take a long holiday
Let your children play
Sweet family will die
Killer on the road

:golfclap:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Take a long holiday
Let your children play
Sweet family will die
Killer on the road
Throwin' tread at this, throwin tread at that
With the belt plies thumpin' in the back, so how 'bout that?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Deteriorata posted:

Take a long holiday
Let your children play
Sweet family will die
Killer on the road

Trouser Chili's avatar poem comes to mind.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I won the local NASA TT4 class and set the TT4 track record on this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvuh1a2bKo

It was as sketchy as you'd expect, bad enough to fault ABS

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 18, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Congrats, maybe you are onto something there. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Almost became a horrible mechanic failure.

Heard a clunking every time I was turning right and hit a bump. I had a scraping whenever I was driving coming from that wheel too (I knew why; the back plate for the knuckle got bent when I pressed out the extremely stuck axle, and was scraping the rotor). Pulled the wheel off to bend the backing plate away from the rotor, and saw the ball joint pinch bolt backed out. :stonkhat: (not the one with the cotter pin; this one has a pinch bolt that holds the ball joint to the spindle). I pooped a little when I saw that.

I didn't even need to touch that drat bolt anyway, I was just in a hurry to get the knuckle off. I think I got it finger tight and forgot about it in my rush to get the car off the lift; the wheel speed sensor cable bracket bolt was also loose. :saddowns: Took it for a drive after bending the backing plate away from the rotor and tightening up the pinch bolt, and no more clunking, no more scraping.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 18, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's funny to me that the ball joint pinch bolt on a Subaru can come loose. That thing is usually rust-welded to the inside of the knuckle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I've heard. It broke free super easy, same with the tie rod and ball joint nuts (the ones that do have the cotter pins). Every bolt I touched on it broke loose with hand tools, except for the axle nut (which took about 30 seconds with an impact before it zipped off).

Getting that loving axle out of the hub though... I know the knuckle has been replaced ("RF" is written on the knuckle, rotor, and LCA in grease pen), but holy gently caress that was a massive PITA job. Roll pin came right out (and promptly fell into a heat shield), but getting it out at the wheel end took over an hour. And a lot of fire.

It spent 8 years in Canada according to Carfax. Zero rust aside from that loving axle to hub. :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's funny to me that the ball joint pinch bolt on a Subaru can come loose. That thing is usually rust-welded to the inside of the knuckle.
Yep. Ask me about paying a garage to spend all day replacing my ball joints.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought what is essentially 2 half trashed sets of wheels to make a whole good set, and one of them was bent, cracked

and fixed with RTV :psyduck:

what kind of loving lunatic....

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 19, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well then :eyepop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I bought what is essentially 2 half trashed sets of wheels to make a whole good set, and one of them was bent, cracked

and fixed with RTV :psyduck:

what kind of loving lunatic....

Chuck that poo poo on a Roadforce balancer. I want to see how far it's out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*checks map*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I also spotted this fella today.

That's a brrrrrrrrrrrr*cachunk*BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR right there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I also spotted this fella today.

That's a brrrrrrrrrrrr*cachunk*BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR right there.

What am I looking at, here? An exhaust heat shield?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

What am I looking at, here? An exhaust heat shield?

I believe it's part of the end plate on a 5 ton DPF/Muffler.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hahaha no, it's a cat shield that fell off and got flattened. Made the car quieter, no doubt.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
It's me, I'm the mechanical failure.

I let my rear pads get completely worn out to the point of grooving the rotors, requiring both to be replaced.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Son, I am disappoint.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I let my rear pads get completely worn out to the point of grooving the rotors, requiring both to be replaced run over with an 80-grit disc on an angle grinder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just wedge a block with some sandpaper in the calliper for a hundred miles or so.

Dagen H posted:

Hahaha no, it's a cat shield that fell off and got flattened. Made the car quieter, no doubt.

It just looked perfectly round. Shows what I get for never having cats

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I'm paying someone to fix it because I don't have the time to be bothered with it right now. Otherwise I'd probably do something like that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Every drive axle is a brake lathe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Just wedge a block with some sandpaper in the calliper for a hundred miles or so.

That's too much work. The new pads will bed in to the new shape of the rotor just fine.
Don't ask me how I know this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm paying someone to fix it because I don't have the time to be bothered with it right now. Otherwise I'd probably do something like that.
Slap new pads in and drive the fucker as-is. Discs still over minimum thickness? You're fine. Discs under minimum thickness? Engage denial.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

That's too much work. The new pads will bed in to the new shape of the rotor just fine.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Ff=uFn
It's just science. Your brakes will work just as good.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Wouldn’t they work better with grooves in the rotors? More surface area! Lol

The secret big brake doesn’t want you to know!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

namlosh posted:

Wouldn’t they work better with grooves in the rotors? More surface area! Lol

The secret big brake doesn’t want you to know!
When you go to sell the car make sure to mention that you have slotted rotors and add $500 to the price. Just don't mention the part that the slots are all concentric.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I let my rear pads get completely worn out to the point of grooving the rotors, requiring both to be replaced.

I grooved the backside of a rotor by bending the backing plate. :psypop: (see a few posts above... had to put the knuckle in a press, then use fire, to pop the axle out)

The rotors are turbofucked to begin with, so nothing of value was really lost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have pro tips on removing wheel bearings where the entire center section disintegrated and all that is left is the shell inside the knuckle?

:suicide:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There is tools for pulling those, but I usually take a small metal cutoff wheel and cut a notch and then split it with an air chisel.

Or use one of those splitters

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 20, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm replacing the hub since there is no way it isn't damaged, I mean that I can't get what is left of the bearing out of the knuckle :smith:

e: i managed to get everything fanagled to be able to press on the old inner race with an old set of bearings and it came out.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just press it out from the other side? Would need a picture of the opp side of the knuckle.

The Honda's I'm used to you just pop out the snap ring, press out the bearing and hub together, then fight the ring stuck on the hub.

Efb lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yeah, problem was the plastic bearing cage was completely hosed and the balls had been worn enough that it all fell apart when i pushed the hub out (by hand.)

I pulled a bearing cage out of a spare old wheel bearing i had and reused the inner race, was able to balance it all enough to get it lined up on the press.

The silver in the original pics isn't lube, it is bearing :lol:

:lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Weld a bead on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm probably facing something similar soon; we had to use judicious amounts of fire to get an axle out of the hub on my car. I'm 99.99999991% sure the inner race will become one with the knuckle when I yank the hub and bearing. There's no way the bearing survived the hub being red hot unscathed.

I'm just gonna get another knuckle when I can find a junkyard one.