Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean they are kind of painted into a corner since if it had been Tatooine the refrain would be "ugh, why does everything happen on Tatooine it makes this supposedly huge galaxy seem so small?"

And for a TV budget it would be hard to do justice to something really exotic like Felucia.

This show budgets out to 12 million an episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Donovan Trip posted:

This show budgets out to 12 million an episode

I would rather they spend it on Werner Herzogs than CGI mushroom planets TBH.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oh totally, just wanted to put that like factoid out there.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Really looking forward to more BTS footage. I would love to know how much blue screen work is being done, because I think it's essentially *everything* beyond the immediate surroundings. I'm not sure they've done any actual on location work yet, and that's crazy.

From what I understand, they're filming everything on an industrial lot in Manhattan Beach, south of LAX.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Really looking forward to more BTS footage. I would love to know how much blue screen work is being done, because I think it's essentially *everything* beyond the immediate surroundings. I'm not sure they've done any actual on location work yet, and that's crazy.

From what I understand, they're filming everything on an industrial lot in Manhattan Beach, south of LAX.

It's actually even cooler than that.

The Mandalorian: Jon Favreau Using Holodeck-Like Filming Techniques

Bryce Dallas Howard posted:

"John Favreau, of course, is known for pushing emerging technology forward. What he did with Jungle Book, what he is doing now with The Lion King. I mean this is really extraordinary, sort of what is possible because of these projects. There were so many times when I would be like "It’s okay John we can just do it that way" and he’s like "I just want to see if its possible, we just need to see if its possible," I’m like "okay" and its tested and way more times you find out it is possible and its better.

There was specifically something that we shot in called The Volume, and basically you step into it and the naked eye, you can’t tell that you are surrounded by, basically, LED screens. And you feel like [you’re] wherever the story is taking place. It’s almost like — this is the wrong term to use, especially for this project, but it’s almost like a Holodeck."

Basically, everything beyond the immediate surroundings are giant LED screens, so you feel like you're on location.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That rules and gets over the "react to this ping pong ball on a green stick in a green room with green walls" poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

thrawn527 posted:

Basically, everything beyond the immediate surroundings are giant LED screens, so you feel like you're on location.

It's like that ancient technology the matte painting

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hokey effects and ancient media are no match for a good render farm by your side, kid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's like that ancient technology the matte painting
Do you think that matte paintings are giant paintings that are actually hung on the set?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mystes posted:

Do you think that matte paintings are giant paintings that are actually hung on the set?

That's exactly what they are. Sony Studios has the last big matte-painting workshop in Hollywood, and they literally just have giant canvases hung like scrolls, and they stand on ladders and paint them. When I toured there they had some of the landscapes from Hateful Eight up on display, and some cool trompe l'oeil interiors from classic films.

Now, modern cgi also uses the term "matte painting" but that doesn't mean real paintings aren't a thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

extremely online posted:

That's exactly what they are. Sony Studios has the last big matte-painting workshop in Hollywood, and they literally just have giant canvases hung like scrolls, and they stand on ladders and paint them. When I toured there they had some of the landscapes from Hateful Eight up on display, and some cool trompe l'oeil interiors from classic films.

Now, modern cgi also uses the term "matte painting" but that doesn't mean real paintings aren't a thing.

Wait, what? Do they sometimes actually do this? Because...that's not how it's worked in at the very least Star Wars. And I think, at least in MOST cases, is not how it's done. They paint on glass.

https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/visual-effects-matte-paintings-composited-film/

mystes
May 31, 2006

extremely online posted:

I don't think those are matte paintings. The "matte" in matte painting specifically refers to painting out areas so they won't be re-exposed since matte paintings are shot as a second exposure.

Canvas backdrops predate matte paintings and are different from them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thrawn527 posted:

Besides the slow pacing, this might be part of what makes it more immersive. The environment affects what people do in subtle ways, like where they look and how they stand, not to mention what it can do to a person's mood, so I feel like having actors that are more in tune with it would help. To the point that even a really basic local theater backdrop would be better than just a green screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Canvas backdrops are what I'm referring to yeah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

omg

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/1196909243703578624

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what? Do they sometimes actually do this? Because...that's not how it's worked in at the very least Star Wars. And I think, at least in MOST cases, is not how it's done. They paint on glass.

https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/visual-effects-matte-paintings-composited-film/

Yes, dude. I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes paintings are painted on canvas.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

extremely online posted:

Yes, dude. I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes paintings are painted on canvas.

Okay, but that's not a matte painting.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, but that's not a matte painting.

Okay, but that's not the loving point of the conversation.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Canvas backdrops are what I'm referring to yeah

Direct your indignant nerd pedantry at this guy if you really need an outlet

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

extremely online posted:

Okay, but that's not the loving point of the conversation.

Direct your indignant nerd pedantry at this guy if you really need an outlet

Look, dude, you responding to the post asking if matte paintings are giant paintings that are actually hung on set, saying, "That's exactly what they are." I'm saying, no, they're not.

mystes posted:

extremely online posted:

That's exactly what they are.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thrawn527 posted:

Look, dude, you responding to the post asking if matte paintings are giant paintings that are actually hung on set, saying, "That's exactly what they are." I'm saying, no, they're not.

Yeah dude, i was responding to what he was actually talking about, not obsessing over a slight mixup in terminology, because I have accomplishments and friends and poo poo and don't need to deathgrip my goonpeen about every little loving thing. He already posted clarifying what he meant. I even quoted that post. You even quoted me quoting that post. If you still can't loving cope might I suggest less cartoon alien babies and more therapy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fake edit: You know what, it's really not worth this.

Uh...The Mandalorian sure is cool!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 19, 2019

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thrawn527 posted:

Thank you for stopping talking about that

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm proud of this thread for steering away from this thank you thread

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So is Moff Gideon Werner Herzog's boss?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Probably, or he's the garrison/military leader while herzog is the faction leader.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

thrawn527 posted:

Oh man, I love Star Wars artwork. I need to break out my old Art of Star Wars book.

This is too drat adorable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Chapter 2: The whole internet loves Baby Yoda!
Chapter 3: We regret to inform you Baby Yoda is a racist

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I first learned about matte paintings from that one book that was half about Star Wars and half Indiana Jones. Does anybody else know what the hell I’m talking about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I want a little baby yoda figure to put on my desk at work so people know how big of a nerd I am.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I want a little baby yoda figure to put on my desk at work so people know how big of a nerd I am.

They already know.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Weedle
May 31, 2006

General Dog posted:

Chapter 2: The whole internet loves Baby Yoda!
Chapter 3: We regret to inform you Baby Yoda is a racist

Bob Iger, surveying fan reaction to baby Yoda:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

withak posted:

They already know.

Yeah but I gotta double down and make sure.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Uh...The Mandalorian sure is cool!

Look at this guy being the bigger man on the internet. :angel:

It sure is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anyone can start a derail about matte paintings but only a true Fandalorian can stop one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bryce Dallas Howard knows what a Holodeck is. That, somehow, is my only takeaway from this page.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Everyone knows what a holodeck is.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Phylodox posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard knows what a Holodeck is. That, somehow, is my only takeaway from this page.

Well her uncle is Balok...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

Teek posted:

Well her uncle is Balok...
I mean, she's now a Star Wars director, like her dad.
https://youtu.be/o6XERmXsP-U

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 20, 2019