Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wow what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo. Rest in peace.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

hobocrunch posted:

RIP.

But it's classic Brad taking out 1 last mmo on his way down.

edit: Also this better not be some hosed up publicity stunt where Brad rises (from being fallen) and surprise release the video game that they've just been keeping hidden this entire time

Faerthale release?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm legit sad

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'm legit sad

Me too. Dude had a lot of faults. But he gave me Everquest, and Vanguard (even though Vanguard was in lovely shape at release) and as far as I'm concerned, no other MMORPG has ever come close to those except UO.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

I'm legit sad

:same:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

brad had his demons and failures what that's also what made him a real person to me

rip to a real one

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
loving hell I'm so sad to hear about this

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The funniest and craziest part was that he came here and posted in this thread. The guy was loving out of his mind but it was kind of beautiful. He was like a light side version of molyneux

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

30.5 Days posted:

The funniest and craziest part was that he came here and posted in this thread. The guy was loving out of his mind but it was kind of beautiful. He was like a light side version of molyneux

Oh poo poo really? Is his forum name Aradune?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

That's right.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

SalTheBard posted:

The Q&A Pantheon thread with Aradune was a real gem, for sure.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Node posted:

Me too. Dude had a lot of faults. But he gave me Everquest, and Vanguard (even though Vanguard was in lovely shape at release) and as far as I'm concerned, no other MMORPG has ever come close to those except UO.

Yeah, real talk. Hell I still play EQ 1 and I’m going to be learning luclin tomorrow.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Holy poo poo what an update.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
First lil peep, now this! Benzos take another real one

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What are they going to do with his unique class that nobody else was allowed to play?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah this honestly took me by loving surprise. I had kinda sorta vaguely been thinking there was a 1-2% chance Pantheon would at least come out in SOME form. This absolutely seals the deal on that.

I know he had some rough times but he was instrumental in making EQ1 and I’ll forever be fond of Brad just for that. I’m sorry he’s gone. That sucks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

In lieu of flowers, please check out all of our pledge tiers on pantheonmmo.com

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
well this sucks. dude had a lot of personal and professional issues. hope hes at peace now.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

It was a mountain of blow wasn't it?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jimlit posted:

It was a mountain of blow wasn't it?
At 51, yeah, I'm guessing it was a drug overdose or a heart condition brought on by his years of heavy drug abuse.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

At 51, yeah, I'm guessing it was a drug overdose or a heart condition brought on by his years of heavy drug abuse.

Overclicked his Manastone and he was bound levitating above The Hole. :rip:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I still hold Vanguard close to my heart. So many unique classes, so much fun with goons at launch on the Open PVP server. Also volumetric clouds :3:

Did anything ever happen with an emulator for Vanguard?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Stanley Pain posted:

I still hold Vanguard close to my heart. So many unique classes, so much fun with goons at launch on the Open PVP server. Also volumetric clouds :3:

Did anything ever happen with an emulator for Vanguard?

It’s slowly coming along but don’t expect to ever be done. If it ever does come out it’s going to never be close to feature complete as UO and EQ private emulators.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pathos posted:

Yeah this honestly took me by loving surprise. I had kinda sorta vaguely been thinking there was a 1-2% chance Pantheon would at least come out in SOME form. This absolutely seals the deal on that.

I am leaning towards this actually increasing the chances the game will come out by a few percentage points.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This is the type of plot twist only a true visionary could come up with! Seriously though, did Brad have a family? If so I feel bad for them. 51 is way too young to just suddenly up and die.

And assuming Brad did a good job of assuring that the financials were in order it seems like this could be a good thing for the game. Thats a pretty big assumption though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

At least a bunch of the budget is freed up from having to buy truckloads of drugs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would not have wished him dead, but when you have a drug addiction, you run the risk. RIP anyway, you crazy diamond.

Very interested to see how this project goes without him. It'll probably implode, but if it doesn't, maybe there's enough sanity left in the rest of the team to pull back some of the worst mechanics of eq1.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
without brad helming this and securing monies from investors and backers based on his game dev rock star image, funding for this is gone

hope these people enjoyed paying $15/m for the last four years to post on forums and give the devs their invaluable feedback to an mmo that's never even had an alpha

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Does not surprise me he looked like absolute poo poo at the 20th anniversary bash in San Diego. RIP nonetheless fucker took five years of my life so props for those wild times.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I actually think there's a better chance this game releases now without his well documented feature creep tendencies.
But RIP for real. EQ was part of my life for years, good memories

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't Brad's addiction and thus inability to manage part of the reason Vanguard was shoved out the door half finished?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't Brad's addiction and thus inability to manage part of the reason Vanguard was shoved out the door half finished?
it was mostly because the higher ups hosed right off with a pile of money, continued to get piles of money, and when the money piles stopped went "oh gently caress we need to actually produce something!!"

it's not unique to game dev or software dev or actually any business

if people give you piles of money without expecting actual results, what the gently caress are you gonna do?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing suicide might not be off the table re: intentional overdose

gently caress dude.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
seriously sad about this. thanks for all of the good times in Unrest, Lower Guk, SolB and so on, Brad!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheAgent posted:

I'm hearing suicide might not be off the table re: intentional overdose

gently caress dude.

Another notable EQ/vanguard dev committed suicide over the weekend Matt Mcdonald. I wonder of there’s any connection there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
rest in piece video games man who once posted on these forums but was definitely not a goon

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

soy posted:

Another notable EQ/vanguard dev committed suicide over the weekend Matt Mcdonald. I wonder of there’s any connection there.

I was thinking about that too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SalTheBard posted:

I was thinking about that too.

Oh gently caress Smeddo is trying the highlander this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
gently caress :( I saw 48 new replies in the Pantheon thread and was like oh poo poo they finally canned the game. Wasn't expecting this, its just sad.