Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Amazing. The pink Dutch one really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
De Hobbit is my favourite too but somehow what I'm guessing is the Bulgarian one is somehow more Russian than the Russian one.

Somebody tweeted the Ukrainian and Finnish ones and now I'm sad that we don't get covers like this in the UK even though I tend to enjoy the utilitarian minimalism we have when it comes to most product related art.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just found the thread, and I’m sure this has been answered somewhere within its 169 pages, but I’m starting from page one.

Can anyone recommend any good podcasts about Middle-Earth history?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Good” podcasts or ... podcasts ?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This may or may not be answering the question, but I've been wanting to tell the thread of one of those moments of unexpected hilarity in Prof. Olsen's Sauron Defeated series, near the end of the Notion Club Papers segment (god I've been obsessed with the NCP since I was in high school). It's the part where it talks about the visions of the great wave washing over Ireland and carrying the harried Numenorean ship in to land, with Elendil and his sons standing on the poop and clinging to the masts and wailing.

His delivery is seldom intended to get laughs, but the way he describes the imagery of this scene — he says something like, "This is meant to convey a more epic, mythic stature for these characters, and it wasn't until just this time through it that I really got the texture of what these figures are experiencing, in that this is not a 'deliverance' or them being saved from the wreck of Numenor by the grace of the Valar... because I never really registered the terror of this situation, where they're fleeing for their lives and totally out of control. I never really quite got the full visual image of these grand mythic figures holding on to the railing for dear life and going AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH"

I keep thinking back at that and cracking up, it's great

E: It's in MSA024 (Sauron Defeated class 13), about 35:00 thru 43:00

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 19, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silmarillion seminar starts here :

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tolkien-professor/id320513707?mt=2#episodeGuid=TolkienProf_070

I think that one has students making live comments which is .. uh .. uneven in quality since some people can barely talk . He eventually ditches letting them talk and just reads comments which is like 10000x better. (Some student comments are really good)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can also start here

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-prancing-pony-podcast-tolkien-and-middle-earth/id1082170831?i=1000364738766

These guys are way way way way way way way way less academic and in depth

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Since Tolkien was a scholar of Germanic languages, is it intentional that Sauron's fake elf identity was named "The Lord of Gifts," as double entendre about giving people poison presents?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Joke Miriam posted:

Since Tolkien was a scholar of Germanic languages, is it intentional that Sauron's fake elf identity was named "The Lord of Gifts," as double entendre about giving people poison presents?

It’s possible. I don’t know of anywhere that Tolkien comments on it, but it wouldn’t be out of character for him. I think the concept of “Annatar” is likely to be related to the kenning “ring-giver” for one’s overlord or king also.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same goes for "The Land of Gift" in that case.

Seems pretty unlikely that he wouldn't have made the connection, but I also think if he meant to play on it a bit he would have added some elements about Númenor being a tainted or fatally flawed land from the start, rather than something only made that way by Sauron's late-stage influence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He likes (liked) puns so probably. But even if he didn’t intend it who cares ! It’s still cool

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah playing the death-of-the-author game with Tolkien is maddening

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not playing a game just saying even unintentional puns are funny and interesting !!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though by that token I've always been weirded out by names that seem really difficult NOT to read as some kind of pun or double entendre. Like Farmer Maggot. How does he just come up with a name like that and not expect people to think of actual maggots? Or to associate them with him? And expect him to make a big deal of it in the narrative / characterization?

Same goes for Took, and (famously) Túna. He seems to have had a certain kind of wall up in his mind that allowed him to deploy what he considered to be the right name for something, regardless of what connotations it might have in English. Which is a skill I desperately lack. Every time I try to come up with a name for a fictional character I immediately tie myself in knots thinking of all the ways it could be misconstrued or misconnoted; I basically play the "Bart, Dart, Cart, Ee-art... nope, don't see a problem with that" game with every single name I think of.

And even then I'm let down by my lack of pop culture awareness, which is why after agonizing for a week to think of the right name for a cowboy character I settled on "Shane", unaware that there is a famous movie cowboy by that name :doh:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for the podcast tips, precious. We are really enjoying both of them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Thanks for the podcast tips, precious. We are really enjoying both of them.

The current LOTR seminar is amazing. Skip the first 10 mins (announcements) and the last 30 or so (mmo stuff)

Literally more than you thought you could possibly think about LOTR

There is probably now ... uh 240 hours of content on that alone ? Lmao . He hasn’t got to the council of Elrond yet

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

euphronius posted:

The current LOTR seminar is amazing. Skip the first 10 mins (announcements) and the last 30 or so (mmo stuff)

There is probably now ... uh 240 hours of content on that alone ? Lmao . He hasn’t got to the council of Elrond yet

Hahaha, really? I'm catching up, currently about 9 months behind and he hasn't gotten to the Ford of Bruinen yet. I thought for sure he'd at least be into the Council stuff by now.

And yeah, skip ahead to the start of actual discussion and don't bother with anything after he says goodbye to Twitter or whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Earendil the mariner is 6 weeks in itself

The dinner takes awhile.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If anything I think he should go slower

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

Mostly because I don't need to spend ten minutes thinking about the choice of a capital M instead of a lowercase M, and other such matters of the Bleeding Obvious, but enjoy the kiddie pool there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You never told us how much money you gave Olsen

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have some kind of LOTR disease. I read the books a few times from age 12-30, but the last time I read them all start to finish was right before the films came out. I hadn't really thought about the books or the films too much for several years now.

But recently my daughter suggested we marathon the extended editions, and now we are doing a read-through where we get on the phone and discuss after each four or five chapters. The rest of my free time is spent listening to the podcasts you guys recommended, and making LOTR-inspired characters in Skyrim. Also got the Sil on my Kindle... I have not read that one since I was like 13.

It's like all I care about is LOTR, it has become life itself

e: so far the amazing thing with the read-through has been just how MANY things were changed for the films. I guess I realized this in 2001-2003, when I saw each film on opening night, and many more times later, but I had forgotten (some things that should not have been forgotten were lost)

e2: Also, I wanted to share the single funniest moment of the Bakshi adaptation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iWxG907jg

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 23, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Funniest among many, of course

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

oh my god I feel like the bits on this page are gonna break under my mouse they're so old

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

euphronius posted:

New thread title?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, upon further review, I think Corey Olson's podcast is a bit much for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/LilituLee/status/1090012900679446529?s=20

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went looking and here is that quiz, apparently.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh well, 90% is fairly decent...Lucky for me, I re-read The Silmarillion recently.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Octy posted:

Oh well, 90% is fairly decent...Lucky for me, I re-read The Silmarillion recently.

90% also, because I mixed up Erestor and Crestor and Effexor. Oh well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

90%, I could've sworn Narmacil was a Numenorean king or other

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Shibawanko posted:

90%, I could've sworn Narmacil was a Numenorean king or other

poo poo that's the exact same one that got me, drat Numenoreans and their strange genealogy's

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Seems like products nowadays like to take names from Tolkien. My mother drives a Daihatsu Sirion

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Narmacil was deffo a king of Gondor or two

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

skasion posted:

Narmacil was deffo a king of Gondor or two

Whoah, you're right:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Narmacil_I

Quiz is wrong then

e: weird I tried it again and now it's been corrected? Or maybe I just misremembered which one I clicked

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yeah same happened to me.

Also, that guy is a webcomic creep.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 1, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got 80%. It is hard after you get past the obvious easy to remember Tolkien names.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t know why I find this dumb joke so funny, but I do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotrmemes/comments/e6flcp/plot_twist/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elevensies for the hobbits in their Shire so fair,

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

https://www.tor.com/2019/12/04/a-military-historian-breaks-down-the-siege-of-gondor-in-peter-jacksons-the-return-of-the-king/

Has links to the original 6-part series on the guy's blog. Excellently chewy stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

This is fantastic, I highly recommend reading the full thing if you've got an hour or so to spare. Great to think about how Tolkien laser focuses on the way morale decides pre-gunpowder battles, whereas Jackson focuses more on mechanics and weapons and the like. But it's not just 10,000 words of film-bashing either.