Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
they don't let uniforms on antarctica per that treaty

Vasudus posted:

birthday officer at thule

this is the furthest/worst posting he can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

send him to the island in greenland they sent phil hartman to at the end of sgt bilko

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Don't do that to those scientists

they could just lock him out and say it was a leopard seal

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is controversial but i'd rather go to Ohio than to Florida.

Ceric
Aug 17, 2012

Diego Garcia

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How about being some kind of archivist but for redundant paper records

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Assign him to the oval office.

He wanted him, now he's got him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

not caring here posted:

Assign him to the oval office.

He wanted him, now he's got him.

the last thing anyone needs is someone's kid disappearing off a white house tour

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/SuarezVotto/status/1196843040700325888?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Should I do a White House tour when I'm there and if so what should I wear

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

nothing at all

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

the last thing anyone needs is someone's kid disappearing off a white house tour

"Why did you stab little Billy in the face fifty times?"

"He was a ISIS sleeper agent and THREATENED ME I HAD NO CHOICE I FEARED FOR MY LIFE!!!1!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The worst fitting suit you can find.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FAUXTON posted:

How about being some kind of archivist but for redundant paper records

The MilHis thread would throw a fit that you consider this punishment

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vasudus posted:

this is the furthest/worst posting he can get

What about piss tester on some mid-Pacific ABM test station?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Casimir Radon posted:

In that position he'll exclusively recruit kids who like to hurt animals.

I guess that works. The Marines are technically a part of the Navy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

FAUXTON posted:

Trump tower then

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

The worst fitting suit you can find.

Secret Service won't like his going into the President's closet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

not caring here posted:

Trump tower then

He'd help the Saudis run their chop shop!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Nick Soapdish posted:

For once in a blue moon, good on NSW for doing the right thing. I wonder if that E-7 can still carry the SO rate without the Trident or if he has to crossrate?

Not the Navy, but in my Army BN we had a former SF NCO that was kicked out of an SF Group for some mysterious reason and he just went back to his old MOS. I never met anyone that he had ever told what he did to get kicked out of SF and I'm not sure if he was somehow stripped of his long tab or if he just chose not to wear it but his SF time was definitely still on his ERB.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

His name was Ringo and Evo got him in August. RIP

https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1161361243124449280

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

"Bolivia belongs to Christ"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stravag posted:

Is there a reason to pardon someone like this other than to try and win the military vote back for the next election? Like was there any question to his guilt or anything? Or was it pretty open and shut? Or just cuz trump said warcriming was cool during his campaign so hes following through now?

Based upon some very weak review of secondary sources and my own potentially failing memory, the following is my understanding of the situation:

During Gallagher's court martial, SO1 Corey Scott, who was under an immunity deal, said that Gallagher didn't kill him because he (SO1 Scott) did. SO1 said that Gallagher stabbed but did not kill him, implying (or maybe outright saying, I don't know) that the stabbing was not the fatal action. Rather SO1 claimed to have killed victim as an act of mercy because he expected the Iraqis to torture the victim after they handed him over. Though there were suspicions that SO1 may have perjured himself and gave false testimony, in a court martial, the burden of proof is 'beyond a reasonable doubt', and there was enough doubt that they could not provide guilty charges for most of the counts.

The only count then that Gallagher was convicted of was posing with the dead body. Doing stuff to dead bodies as a war crime is (according to a quick Google search) tried as a violation of Article 8(2)(c)(ii)) of the Rome Statute of the ICC which cites "outrages upon personal dignity" as a war crime, the elements of which would need to generally be recognized as an outrage against personal dignity. I have no idea if it is. Also, the US isn't a State Party to the ICC.

The jury recommended he be demoted from E-7 to E-6. His appeal went up the chain and the Chief of Naval Operations (then ADM Richardson) who turned over with it on his desk. The new CNO, Admiral Gilday upheld the sentence.

There is a concern, then, that the acquitted Gallagher was being held responsible for more than taking a photo with the body. I recall at the time hearing this contention. Given that he held a position of authority, it was probably considered worse that he, vice his subordinates, participated and encouraged the photos. I'm curious (though not enough to do more research) whether the rest of the participants received sentences for participating in the photographs. Given the sentence for the crime was less severe than some DUIs* or brandishing of a weapons cases*, I personally do not find a compelling argument that he was punished for the charges of which he was acquitted, but I'm not really well researched on the subject.

Whether the rhetoric surrounding the pardon logically follows the particular nuances of this situation is an exercise left to the reader.

Edit: Some edits to try and make this more readable.
*in fairness, this is based on rumor; I have no proof to back this up either

piL fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 20, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The posing with a dead enemy combatant isn’t seen as criminal by a very large percentage of trumps core support, the folks that make his impeachment a futile effort are owned by the fucks who are absolutely fascist boot lickers. Thus the pardoning of war criminals, and it’s timing.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mustang posted:

Not the Navy, but in my Army BN we had a former SF NCO that was kicked out of an SF Group for some mysterious reason and he just went back to his old MOS. I never met anyone that he had ever told what he did to get kicked out of SF and I'm not sure if he was somehow stripped of his long tab or if he just chose not to wear it but his SF time was definitely still on his ERB.

Odds are he hosed another long tabbers wife. That's the only thing I've heard them getting the boot for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a wife swapping thing going on with Blackwater

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a wife swapping thing going on with Blackwater

Did they get bored with beating up one wife?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ElMaligno posted:

Did they get bored with beating up one wife?

they're like pringles, you see...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-pompeo-planning-resign-because-093230187.html

Pompeo is out

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Who is that? Never heard of him. Did he get our bigly president man coffee or something?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

Who is that? Never heard of him. Did he get our bigly president man coffee or something?

I think he was SecState for a few minutes, but I could be wrong.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It's good timing.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1197127710977544192?s=19

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Yeah good thing he’s getting out before his reputation takes a hit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

colachute posted:

Yeah good thing he’s getting out before his reputation takes a hit.

Lmao

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gskagdjsiwhhs margarine mails

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1197134430386761733?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

honestly it's the forgot password part that cracks me up

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:yooge: lock her up

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hearthealthyspread emails!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Ghee mail