Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Velveteen posted:

Just the level 50 quest gear and a level 50 weapon I bought from the shop. But I am fighting level 50 monsters outside of Ishgard.

On another note. What have they done to the voices of everyone! This is all wrong. They changed right? I'm not going crazy right?

They went from a studio in LA to a studio in London and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

wizardofloneliness posted:

What's the ilevel of the gear? Level 50 stuff is everything from the end of ARR to the beginning of HW. Killing things is going to be way easier in the HW level 50 starting gear than it would be in the stuff from ARR.

Its the blue gear level 110 gear at the end of the ARR questline.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Velveteen posted:

On another note. What have they done to the voices of everyone! This is all wrong. They changed right? I'm not going crazy right?

The new voices take a bit to get used to, but they are an overall improvement to the game.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Awesome! posted:

augmented ironworks has better stats until like lvl 65 hw gear

yeah, I meant like the first level 50 gear you get at the end of 2.0, not the ironworks stuff.

HW was definitely a step up in mob toughness, I remember some of my jobs that didn't have augmented ironworks had a rough time for a bit.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Awesome! posted:

ive noticed that i feel like my dps is real rear end every time i jump from end of expansion content to the new expansion even though they are the same level. i think they have buffed monster hp each time or something.

For me it was the damage I was taking. Going from HW to SB, even though I was wearing Augmented Shire gear, it still felt like I was losing way too much health in fights against mobs of my own level.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Rhonne posted:

The new voices take a bit to get used to, but they are an overall improvement to the game.

I don't know... Merlwyb had this deep scratchy voice now shes all british.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rhonne posted:

I think basically the only one I heard and straight-up felt 'this is worse' is Merlwyb, but not by much, and it's not like she gets a lot of lines.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Velveteen posted:

She's the only downgrade from the shift, IMO

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember the start of HW. Fighting monsters was a little annoying, but it wasn't too bad.

Until I got to the Gnath. :fuckoff:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kitfox88 posted:

Uriangier used to be better too, but new Uriangier is still quite good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Failboattootoot posted:

Uriangier used to be better too, but new Uriangier is still quite good.

Urianger goes from ironically good to actually good. I love Gideon Emery, but he didn't suit Urianger at all, every single one of his lines sounded like Balthier doing an impression of a haughty wizard.

And I loved it, it made every single one of his scenes more fun. But I couldn't possibly take him seriously, so future scenes where Urianger's meant to be important kinda needed someone new.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Velveteen posted:

on the plus side she barely talks anymore

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cleretic posted:

Urianger goes from ironically good to actually good. I love Gideon Emery, but he didn't suit Urianger at all, every single one of his lines sounded like Balthier doing an impression of a haughty wizard.

And I loved it, it made every single one of his scenes more fun. But I couldn't possibly take him seriously, so future scenes where Urianger's meant to be important kinda needed someone new.

I mean, Urianger is a canonical tryhard nerd who talks that way to impress people.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Nah, I think I remember he talks that way because he grew up not having anyone to talk to so he learned to communicate through all the old books he was reading because that was his only point of contact with the world. He didn’t have much experience hearing or speaking modern language as a kid.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, Urianger is a canonical tryhard nerd who talks that way to impress people.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Nah, I think I remember he talks that way because he grew up not having anyone to talk to so he learned to communicate through all the old books he was reading because that was his only point of contact with the world. He didn’t have much experience hearing or speaking modern language as a kid.

How's he talk in the japanese version of the game? Is it some archaic version of japanese?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured he was either an rear end in a top hat, that was how the man in the street talks in Sharlayan and the other Sharlayans just learned how not to talk like assholes, or both.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I tried Baldesion Arsenal today. It's pretty neat. :)

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
The reason mobs are much harder at the start of an exp compared to the end is because the end of expac mobs expect the base game max item level, I forget HW and ARR base gear but say for stormblood a level 70 mob would expect you to be maybe around 290 ilvl whereas a 70-71 mob in shadowbringers would expect at least 385 ilvl.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kitfox88 posted:

Illberd was a downgrade, I think, meme aside.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Richard Epcar yelling :sloppy: would have been incredible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The actual reason Uranger talks like that is that he's a loving nerd.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jetrauben posted:

It's one of those lost bits of 1.0 lore. Louisoix tells you that as a child, Urianger was very shy, and spent more time reading old tomes than talking to people, and by the time anyone noticed, he thought people talked like they did in books, and not, y'know, in modern, conversational Eorzean.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Illberd just becoming generically scottish really blew but the VA got a lot better by the time :sloppy: came up.

I figure part of why Urianger continues to talk the way he does is because it's just an established fact. It means that if he ever breaks character, you know poo poo is bad.

poo poo is not yet bad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ala Mhigans have a Yorkshire accent dammit :argh:

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Ibblebibble posted:

Ala Mhigans have a Yorkshire accent dammit :argh:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Well, HW 3.4?,

Urianger, triple agent
I've got a little whiplash from wanting to Flare WoD's rear end in a top hat, to feeling bad
Minfilia :smith:
Lhaminn :smith:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

gently caress

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Yesterday I got my first tank to 50, slipped into ironworks gear, queued for the 50/60/70 roulette and learned two things:

- I thought I had cleared every level 50 dungeon, but apparently managed to miss Copperbell Mine (hard)

- That dungeon is the worst one I've seen in this game outside of 2.0 content.

Same layout as the normal version, a boss fight in a tiny corridor that forces players to cross AoEs to progress and punishes running too far ahead, gimmick mechanics that aren't clearly explained and mobs that deaggro when you try to multipull. It's just baffling compared to the rest of this game's dungeons.

It didn't help that 3/4 of my party had never cleared it before and the fourth wasn't much help.

And even though it wasn't my fault, I feel responsible for the run being laborious as the tank.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

keirharder posted:

The reason mobs are much harder at the start of an exp compared to the end is because the end of expac mobs expect the base game max item level, I forget HW and ARR base gear but say for stormblood a level 70 mob would expect you to be maybe around 290 ilvl whereas a 70-71 mob in shadowbringers would expect at least 385 ilvl.

270 for coming out of HW (290 is closer to where you are towards the end of 4.0), and that's what I was wearing and still felt like I was getting kicked around :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

escape mechanism posted:

- That dungeon is the worst one I've seen in this game outside of 2.0 content.
This is correct. Copperbell Hard loving blows, especially the second boss.

Zeruel posted:

Well, HW 3.4?,

"We did everything right, everything that was asked of us, and still - still it came to this!" :smith:

Zeruel posted:

gently caress

:allears: I love it when the newer people post reactions.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Copycat Zero posted:

270 for coming out of HW (290 is closer to where you are towards the end of 4.0), and that's what I was wearing and still felt like I was getting kicked around :v:

Oh yeah sorry I meant level 70 mobs in stormblood expect you to have 290 or so. I think HW base endgame must be around 160? So 160 for level 60 HW mobs compared to 270 ilvl for level 60 SB mobs? Who knows lol. It’s always a shock when you first step into a new expansion and get your rear end kicked pulling two mobs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

This is correct. Copperbell Hard loving blows, especially the second boss.
To be fair this statement is true for the original copperbell mines too.

But yeah it's pretty horrible and it's a super early ARR dungeon so there's not even good glamour drops as consolation prizes.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Copperbell Hard was an experiment at doing something other than "pull trash to wall, then fight boss in big circle" but it fails really badly unfortunately.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

copperbell hard is redeemed by featuring a spriggan piloting a golem

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zeruel posted:

gently caress

You will notice we all collectively danced around not saying that they were unrecoverable, just that any normal mortal creature would have died trying to get at them. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

"We did everything right, everything that was asked of us, and still - still it came to this!" :smith:

That line was good then and is Extremely Good now.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

keirharder posted:

Oh yeah sorry I meant level 70 mobs in stormblood expect you to have 290 or so. I think HW base endgame must be around 160? So 160 for level 60 HW mobs compared to 270 ilvl for level 60 SB mobs? Who knows lol. It’s always a shock when you first step into a new expansion and get your rear end kicked pulling two mobs.

Oh, sorry, right, I misread your previous post and glossed over the "70" bit (and/or keep forgetting what level SB started at :v: ). Strangely enough, I didn't notice the issue as badly with ShB, although the structure of the opening zones -- and having been slightly overleveled from the 4.x quests -- probably cushioned it a bit.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it seems like there's only a set amount of quests that exist for any given level range, and once you exhaust them across however many zones, the only other thing you can do for XP is the group finder stuff or the leves or fill out hunting logs (although those also cap out). how are people leveling multiple classes to the cap? is there a point in the story where more quests get added, or is there some way to massively buff your XP gains or what? right now i'm trying to keep paladin and archer roughly at parity, and while my paladin seems to do okay because i can fill in gaps with bonus xp from the group finder needing tanks, the archer doesn't seem to have as easy a time finding non-quest sources of xp.

basically my paladin keeps out-leveling the MSQ stuff just playing the game, so I drop back into archer to tackle the MSQ at a more level-appropriate range, but i'm running out of non-MSQ stuff to do to keep my archer levels up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it seems like there's only a set amount of quests that exist for any given level range, and once you exhaust them across however many zones, the only other thing you can do for XP is the group finder stuff or the leves or fill out hunting logs (although those also cap out). how are people leveling multiple classes to the cap? is there a point in the story where more quests get added, or is there some way to massively buff your XP gains or what? right now i'm trying to keep paladin and archer roughly at parity, and while my paladin seems to do okay because i can fill in gaps with bonus xp from the group finder needing tanks, the archer doesn't seem to have as easy a time finding non-quest sources of xp.

basically my paladin keeps out-leveling the MSQ stuff just playing the game, so I drop back into archer to tackle the MSQ at a more level-appropriate range, but i'm running out of non-MSQ stuff to do to keep my archer levels up.

daily roulettes give large exp payouts, and palace of the dead in the shroud. also classes at a lower level than your highest receive a significant exp bonus from most sources. quests are maybe the least efficient way to exp in the game in part because their exp rewards don't get this bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Just do your daily roulettes, that what I've always done to get everyone to max. No real point rushing everything to 80 really.