Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Science Goy posted:

DIY pedalboards are great (and nice and cheap). Mine fits in an old PlayStation 2 travel case.

The only other dude I've ever seen with the MF Drive! It is such a stupidly good pedal, such a pity they stopped making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPfLgQuI5c

OMG mode engaged! It sounds equally as good with flatwounds as with rounds.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

TheQuietWilds posted:

The only other dude I've ever seen with the MF Drive! It is such a stupidly good pedal, such a pity they stopped making them.

The MF Drive makes some ridiculous gnarly sounds. It's a bit finicky since some of the settings interact so much with the other settings, but it can do some amazing things.

I've got a foot-adjustable knob on the filter pot for sweeps. It's stupid fun.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
I'm still trying to learn the bass, two years after my mate gave me an old Peavey to try to recover from ulnar nerve damage.

My pinky is just too weak for a full size so I'm considering importing a short scale bass into Vietnam. I know this will not be cheap.

My question is, because I like to play metal, will a short scale sound like complete toilet tuned down to D drop C?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

FiftyFour posted:

My pinky is just too weak for a full size so I'm considering importing a short scale bass into Vietnam. I know this will not be cheap.
In what way is it too weak? Pushing down on the strings? Or splaying out to reach a note? If it’s just pushing down, you can switch to a lighter string gauge (or one that’s just lighter on the higher strings). If it’s reaching for notes, capo the second fret and tune down a step so that its at standard, that will be pretty close to the scale length and tension of a short scale so you can see if it would be worth it to pursue.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
xpost from the Guitar Megathread, Babby's 1st guitar amp, an Orange Crush 20RT:

Tomorrow I'm gonna hook it up to the second output of my POG and see how it works for bi-amping my bass. This is a dangerous rabbit hole.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

FiftyFour posted:

I'm still trying to learn the bass, two years after my mate gave me an old Peavey to try to recover from ulnar nerve damage.

My question is, because I like to play metal, will a short scale sound like complete toilet tuned down to D drop C?

Short scale gets pretty flubby in standard, so I would think it will be hard to avoid fart tone with a drop tuned short scale.

Have you tried a Simandl type technique? Basically, you treat the ring and pinky finger as one finger. Index is independent, middle is independent, but the other two act together. It's very common for upright bass.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

are string trees absolutely nessesary? i was gifted a really old yamaha rbx800a thats in rough shape and the string tree shot off like a bullet as i was playing it. it seems to play just fine without it though and it has to have one of the most comfy necks ive ever played on.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 7, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FiftyFour posted:

I am someone with small, Trumplike hands who is not particularly strong and I can play across four frets without moving my hand just fine. It just takes practice and muscle memory. It's only when I start getting really close to the headstock that I run into trouble, but it's pretty rare that that's going to be an issue.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't use one finger per fret where it's making things harder instead of easier

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ASenileAnimal posted:

are string trees absolutely nessesary? i was gifted a really old yamaha rbx800a thats in rough shape and the string tree shot off like a bullet as i was playing it. it seems to play just fine without it though and it has to have one of the most comfy necks ive ever played on.

They maintain a proper string-break over the nut to help ensure proper intonation and sustain. They also keep your strings from coming unseated...

I think it'd be worth it to reinstall one.

The Science Goy posted:

Have you tried a Simandl type technique? Basically, you treat the ring and pinky finger as one finger. Index is independent, middle is independent, but the other two act together. It's very common for upright bass.

I had no idea that's what it's called, but I've always done this.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 7, 2019

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
reply != edit

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Scarf posted:

They maintain a proper string-break over the nut to help ensure proper intonation and sustain. They also keep your strings from coming unseated...

I think it'd be worth it to reinstall one.

ill have them replaced at a shop cause i think the woods stripped and im not handy enough to not gently caress it up. also one of the pots somehow snapped in half and while it works everything is scratchy as hell. this was apparently a high end model in the 80s but unfortunatly was not well cared for. hopefully it will be an easy fix for a tech. worst case scenario ill yank the guts out an slap an emg pj set in there.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 7, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
can someone talk to me about short scale bass guitar strings?

i have a precision bass (34") and a shorter scale bronco bass (30"). both are squiers

the precision bass sounds great even with the stock pickups. nice, bright tone -- i love it. but trying to play a G major scale from the 3rd fret is really pushing the limits of how far i can stretch my pinky without injuring my hand.

on the other hand, the bronco bass is a delight to play. its sound is.... ok. the E string is especially muddy, but the other strings sound pretty good. if I wanted to get a custom E string for this instrument, can I get something that will give me higher tension and a brighter tone? what would be the tradeoffs? i don't want to play trial and error here, so I'm asking for something specific to get and put on there

i could also use some recommendations for replacing the pickup on that bronco. i don't really know anything about bass pickups. if i could make the bronco sound more like my pbass, that would be pretty ideal. i don't mind routing it out to fit a split pickup in there

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i have a precision bass (34") and a shorter scale bronco bass (30"). both are squiers

the precision bass sounds great even with the stock pickups. nice, bright tone -- i love it. but trying to play a G major scale from the 3rd fret is really pushing the limits of how far i can stretch my pinky without injuring my hand.

on the other hand, the bronco bass is a delight to play. its sound is.... ok. the E string is especially muddy, but the other strings sound pretty good. if I wanted to get a custom E string for this instrument, can I get something that will give me higher tension and a brighter tone? what would be the tradeoffs? i don't want to play trial and error here, so I'm asking for something specific to get and put on there

i could also use some recommendations for replacing the pickup on that bronco. i don't really know anything about bass pickups. if i could make the bronco sound more like my pbass, that would be pretty ideal. i don't mind routing it out to fit a split pickup in there

unless you have trumpian hands you can make that pinky stretch with more practice/adjustment to the instrument. what scale degree is giving you the most trouble?

try flatwounds on the bronco; they aren't brighter, but they have a narrower frequency response, which makes them less muddy, and a lot of flats have higher string tension (not all, though). la bellas, d'addys, and rotos are pretty high-tension, thomastiks and pyramids are quite low.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

I love my Bronco for what it is: a goof-off bass for my living room. The pickup in it is an off-the-shelf pickup for a Squier Affinity Stratocaster. That's why it's covered; they don't want you to see that it has 6 pole pieces. Clever way to save money, I'd say.

I've seen one popular mod in which a "hot rails"-style humbucker is installed in place of the cheapo the Bronco comes with. These are twin-blade humbuckers for Strats that fit in the standard single coil cavity. Here's a video of one such modded bass.

Of course, you can take a router to the pickguard and body and install a traditional split-coil pickup. Lots of pickups are out there; Fender's models are pretty cheap and OEM equipment, and Quarter Pounders (also priced affordably) would probably almost be too much fun.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Are you still using the stock strings? According to Sweetwater they're .040-.095 which would be pretty light on a 34" and must be rubberband city on a 30". Going to a .105 low E would probably do a lot to tighten things up.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

tarlibone posted:

I love my Bronco for what it is: a goof-off bass for my living room. The pickup in it is an off-the-shelf pickup for a Squier Affinity Stratocaster. That's why it's covered; they don't want you to see that it has 6 pole pieces. Clever way to save money, I'd say.

I've seen one popular mod in which a "hot rails"-style humbucker is installed in place of the cheapo the Bronco comes with. These are twin-blade humbuckers for Strats that fit in the standard single coil cavity. Here's a video of one such modded bass.

Of course, you can take a router to the pickguard and body and install a traditional split-coil pickup. Lots of pickups are out there; Fender's models are pretty cheap and OEM equipment, and Quarter Pounders (also priced affordably) would probably almost be too much fun.

This.

Sure, the strings may be poo poo... but it literally comes with a squier startocaster pickup. And not even a GOOD squier strat pickup.

Depending on how much money you wanna spend and how deep down the modding rabbit hole you wanna go... something like a Dark Star pickup would be crazy fun. But the pickup costs more than the bass (probably). There's tons of options out there for pickups.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If you want to go the hot rails route Guitarfetish makes a cheap one that sounds pretty good: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Ki...dy_p_21984.html
...in a guitar, anyway. I have no idea what it sounds like in a bass.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

creamcorn posted:

unless you have trumpian hands you can make that pinky stretch with more practice/adjustment to the instrument. what scale degree is giving you the most trouble?

all of the notes on the 5th fret are a problem. i mean, i can make it comfortably every time if i dont mind playing sloppy. but its a matter of getting my pinky all the way up against the fret to ensure i get a clean note, and that's just a bit too far for me to reach comfortably. i can shift my hand around a lot to avoid making that stretch, but then i lose a lot of the muting i would like to get from my left hand.

the A major scale on the 5th fret is fine on my pinky. the G major scale on the 3rd fret is a stretch to play with the same technique, and it feels bad enough to make me think im going to injure myself if i don't chill out on it.

creamcorn posted:

try flatwounds on the bronco; they aren't brighter, but they have a narrower frequency response, which makes them less muddy, and a lot of flats have higher string tension (not all, though). la bellas, d'addys, and rotos are pretty high-tension, thomastiks and pyramids are quite low.

i had decided to just stick with round-wound strings since im told they have a brighter tone, and i figured using flatwound strings on a short scale would just exacerbate the muddiness. but i'm willing to give it a try if you can suggest appropriate gauges. is there something i can read or listen to do get an idea of what this "narrower frequency response" means to the ear?

thx for laying out the possibilities. im not wild about that bass tone in the video, but i guess i'm not gonna be able to make a fair assessment listening on laptop speakers. i'll give it a proper listen later.

one thing that makes it hard to assess tone: when i listen to a bass being played alone, its not always easy for me to figure out how its going to sit in the mix

Anime Reference posted:

Are you still using the stock strings? According to Sweetwater they're .040-.095 which would be pretty light on a 34" and must be rubberband city on a 30". Going to a .105 low E would probably do a lot to tighten things up.

yes i am, and it didn't occur to me to check this. i don't really have a sense for string gauges on bass (im primarily on guitar) so your perspective is very helpful. thanks

and thanks again to everyone for posting helpful replies

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the only other thing that bothers me about the bronco is the saddles. i'm also thinking about getting some angled saddles for better intonation.

but i guess now that i'm laying this all out here like this: should I just sell this thing and buy a nicer 30" bass? the bronco was recommended for its affordability, but im not saving any money if i have to change literally everything about the instrument lol

i'm willing to consider other short scale bass guitars if there are legit affordable options out there

the Ibanez Mikro bass was recommended to me, but thats an even shorter scale length than the bronco (28.60" vs 30"), and I'm skeptical that i'll be able to get a bright enough tone out of it

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

the only other thing that bothers me about the bronco is the saddles. i'm also thinking about getting some angled saddles for better intonation.

but i guess now that i'm laying this all out here like this: should I just sell this thing and buy a nicer 30" bass? the bronco was recommended for its affordability, but im not saving any money if i have to change literally everything about the instrument lol

i'm willing to consider other short scale bass guitars if there are legit affordable options out there

the Ibanez Mikro bass was recommended to me, but thats an even shorter scale length than the bronco (28.60" vs 30"), and I'm skeptical that i'll be able to get a bright enough tone out of it

You might check out the Ibanez TMB30. It's only a little bit more expensive than the Bronco ($180) and it's got PJ pickups and a standard Fender-style bridge with individual saddles. I've never had the chance to play one myself, though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Gretsch G2220 is pretty popular and would be a step up I think. I like those Squiers, but I’d be hesitant to mod one personally.

I’d also suggest continuing to practice those on the Precision. I bought a 34” scale bass a monthly ago, and there are plenty of stretches I need to work on, but I definitely feel more comfortable with it than I thought I would.

As mentioned above, the TMB30 would be another option. I enjoyed the couple I’ve played for sure.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

creamcorn posted:

I find the lower tension nicer to play personally. D'Addario Chromes feel stiff and kind of abrasive to me, but they do sound good. Just not as nice to play as Pyramids and Thomastiks. I've tried them on both basses and guitars and far prefer the nice machined feel of the imported strings, but I do keep a guitar and bass around with Chromes too. They're chimier.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
update on pinky stretch dilemma: i guess i found a way to get a clean note without going all the way up against the fret. we may be OK on the p-bass after all

thanks again for all the tips, i'm going to put new strings on the bronco but leave it otherwise unmodified... for now. going to try to make it work with the p-bass and come back to the short scale later if necessary

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

update on pinky stretch dilemma: i guess i found a way to get a clean note without going all the way up against the fret. we may be OK on the p-bass after all

thanks again for all the tips, i'm going to put new strings on the bronco but leave it otherwise unmodified... for now. going to try to make it work with the p-bass and come back to the short scale later if necessary

keep at it! it takes a while but eventually youll build up the strength. take breaks if it hurts too much. also consider trying out a jazz bass if you end up really hating the pbass neck theyre a bit slimmer.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Geddy Lee signature are the skinniest of the skinniest if you're into that ( I am)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pokey Araya posted:

Geddy Lee signature are the skinniest of the skinniest if you're into that ( I am)

I learned how to play bass on a J bass and to this day I can't actually play a P bass. My 5 string J still feels thinner than a P neck. Which is weird because I don't mind thick guitar necks, some of the old bassball bat style Fender and Gibson necks aren't that bad to me, but I still prefer the thin ones.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
One of the main things that appealed to me about the RB1004 was that it basically had a shredder neck on it. Definitely not what you'd expect from the signature bass of one of the more prominent P players.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

I learned how to play bass on a J bass and to this day I can't actually play a P bass. My 5 string J still feels thinner than a P neck. Which is weird because I don't mind thick guitar necks, some of the old bassball bat style Fender and Gibson necks aren't that bad to me, but I still prefer the thin ones.

i started in a squier pbass and then an mim p and jumping to my jaguar bass after that was so comfy. i later rocked a shortscale for a year or 2 and then jumped to a thunderbird. man those first few practices with the tbird were rough lmao.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

all of the notes on the 5th fret are a problem. i mean, i can make it comfortably every time if i dont mind playing sloppy. but its a matter of getting my pinky all the way up against the fret to ensure i get a clean note, and that's just a bit too far for me to reach comfortably. i can shift my hand around a lot to avoid making that stretch, but then i lose a lot of the muting i would like to get from my left hand.

the A major scale on the 5th fret is fine on my pinky. the G major scale on the 3rd fret is a stretch to play with the same technique, and it feels bad enough to make me think im going to injure myself if i don't chill out on it.

There's only a lil bit of difference between starting on the G and starting on the A - you can shift your hand that tiny bit to make the stretch more comfortable, it shouldn't be too much movement

It's normal to do that kind of thing, or adjust your fingering for a particular part so it's more comfortable to play. It's not like guitar where you can pretty much stick to locked position, one-finger-per-fret even at the bottom of the neck once you git gud, you'll hurt yourself on bass if you try to force those stretches. You obviously wanna minimise the amount of movement you do, but comfort comes first - so it's totally ok to let your hand position relax or float a bit to make a stretch if you need to

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what do you guys think of that artcore bass, the agb260?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got a big rear end catalog in the mail from Guitar Center. 150 full color pages.

And not one page with a bass lol.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

*visits the "...And Justice For All" wikipedia page so I can make a comment about who edited the guitar center catalog*

Steve Thompson edited the catalog

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've decided to start taking bass lessons next January. I've probably picked up some bad habits during my year of practicing alone, but at least I'll go in knowing how to hold my bass, and I have a good idea of the questions I want to ask.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what do you guys think of that artcore bass, the agb260?

Unless you’re very sold on the specific “short scale semi hollow” sound I’d say it shouldn’t be your first bass, but if it’s like your third knock yourself out.* It’s much cheaper than the Hofner 500/8 or Guild/Gretsch equivalents and $100 cheaper than the Eastwood Classic IV, although substantially cheaper than the Hofner Ignition Club. I’d say a used Guild/Gretsch/Hofner is likely to hold its value much much better, but honestly Ibanez is pretty consistent on their quality/price ratio. Nothing is a crazy sleeper but nothing is a dud with them, in my opinion/experience. Not a huge fan of the aesthetics either, I think that shape doesn’t look great on bass, personally.

*edit: if I was buying a bass collection from scratch, (assuming I don’t double on upright) I would prob start with a passive Jazz or Precision, expand with a fretless, then a modern active bass for slap (either 5 or 6 string, depending on taste), then add a short scale semi strung with tapes or flats.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 20, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ah yeah, it would be my third, actually. my first was a pbass, second’s a shortie jag. now that i’m thinking about it more, i’m not sure i want another short scale bass (even though i adore my jag)

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Totally just my opinion but if you’ve got a PBass and shorty Jagbass, my next move would either be something with active electronics and a B string or a fretless.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*in a very early nineties voice
Get something headless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

*in a very early nineties voice
Get something headless...

*in a very eighties voice

Get something headless and mostly bodiless....